Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
The morning after the night before. We are in France (near Dijon to be exact!)

We had always planned to leave on Friday and drive overnight to Val D and had flexiplus (invaluable at times like these). But looking at the Eurotunnel twitter feed convinced me to bring forward our departure to reduce the risk of missing the cutoff

We took our tests from C19testing between 4 and 5pm but didn’t get them back until after 9pm. Eventually left Sevenoaks at 10pm. No queue at Eurotunnel, thinking we were going to be great, but unfortunately our tests uploaded at the last minute needed to be manually verified. So we had to join the very slow queue into the car park, queue to verify the tests and queue from the car park all the way to the French passport control.

In the end we got the 1.20am - around 2.5 hours on the Eurotunnel premises.

Anyone leaving today - don’t leave it too late. Everyone has the same idea!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wonder what all these mad dash 'get there before the rules change' people are going to do if one of your group has a positive test for your uk re-entry?

Getting in to France is only half the problem.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We’re testing ourselves everyday. Contingency plans in place for a positive test. Much like I had contingencies for if France changed their entry rules (which were pretty much telegraphed in the press during the course of this week). I’m quite relaxed to be honest

If (god forbid) the ski lifts are closed, we have walking boots with us and can drive wherever the mood takes us
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’m much more relaxed now than I was 24 hours ago hoping my plan was actually going to work (last minute tests, pass Sanitaire for teenagers, crossing without incidents)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well its nice to be proved right...I cancelled my January trip as I would have had to pay for the hotelsthis week and didnt fancy paying a few grand and trying to get it back ...if things change I can go and find accomodation and pay whan I get there...just living in hope !
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wonder if people will be avoiding things like gondolas, cable cars, funiculars, buses... the risk of the positive test is surely not worth that kind of stress.

The rules around re-entry testing changed while we were out there.
I had a check up at the docs the other day for some ongoing reason, he took my blood pressure and commented on it's level - I can squarely put that down to coming back home from tignes, and all the testing, stress and travel hassle... we pulled our 3 weeks in Jan as a result.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 17-12-21 10:08; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountainaddict wrote:
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/macron-s-covid-strategy-is-to-blame-it-on-britain

I wouldn't waste 5 minutes reading that racist shitrag.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

This might be too soon (! - sorry ) for those of you who have just had their holidays cancelled but we are due in Belle Plagne on the 28th (from Ireland so no travel restrictions) - just wondering if there is any advice about potential last minute accomodation cancellations - thinking we might be able to snag a deal?
Thanks and hope you get on the slopes soon!

@Pepper, Lucky you and you'll definitely be able to snag a deal - several friends in Dublin now looking to ski this Xmas/NY who weren't originally! Check out resort websites for links to chalet/apartment agents, or booking.com/AirBnB etc. If you're going on 28th, wait until the 2nd half of next week as quite a few companies have policies that offer full refunds up to 7 days before the start of the holiday so a lot of people (like me) won't have cancelled yet and will wait until the last minute on the vain hope that these pointless, political restrictions get lifted or altered to somehow allow us to go... Bon chance!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Extremophile wrote:
Wonder what all these mad dash 'get there before the rules change' people are going to do if one of your group has a positive test for your uk re-entry? .

Same thing we would have done if rules didn't change. UK re-entry rules have been there long enough to put plans in place.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jma wrote:
Quote:

This might be too soon (! - sorry ) for those of you who have just had their holidays cancelled but we are due in Belle Plagne on the 28th (from Ireland so no travel restrictions) - just wondering if there is any advice about potential last minute accomodation cancellations - thinking we might be able to snag a deal?
Thanks and hope you get on the slopes soon!

@Pepper, Lucky you and you'll definitely be able to snag a deal - several friends in Dublin now looking to ski this Xmas/NY who weren't originally! Check out resort websites for links to chalet/apartment agents, or booking.com/AirBnB etc. If you're going on 28th, wait until the 2nd half of next week as quite a few companies have policies that offer full refunds up to 7 days before the start of the holiday so a lot of people (like me) won't have cancelled yet and will wait until the last minute on the vain hope that these pointless, political restrictions get lifted or altered to somehow allow us to go... Bon chance!

Entirely possible France may add other countries , incl ROI to its exclusion list. In addition there is an Irish Government announcement later today , which may include travel restrictions
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ringingmaster wrote:
Amused by all the "I am OK, but feel sorry for ..." messages on this thread. Be careful, the schadenfreude is showing.

i am one of those who have managed to adjust my plans, am travelling tonight instead of sat morning, am sorry if it comes over as gloating, it has not meant to be, in my case anyway.

obviously, it could go all belly up for me when i am out there and may have to travel back urgently!!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Minion1980, @Reallyrubbishskier, cheers everyone
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Extremophile wrote:
Wonder what all these mad dash 'get there before the rules change' people are going to do if one of your group has a positive test for your uk re-entry?

Most will fake it, I assume. Some maybe on the way out as well.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What are the rules about travel to france from UK, but via Dublin?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bezthespaniard wrote:

Interesting question -- would not the locator form give away that you had travelled from the UK?

===== edit ====

"France has announced a range of new restrictions on travel from the United Kingdom, effective as of Saturday, 18 December. These apply in full to travellers from Northern Ireland."

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/france/
snow report
Eurotunnel today - beware the detail! In last night's rush I hadn't uploaded all of my paperwork to the Eurotunnel website. As a result, I had to queue to show it all in the terminal. It's luck of the draw but our French border guard clearly didn't want us in France and spent 10 minutes incorrectly trying to tell us our 12-15yo wasn't allowed in because he isn't double jabbed and then moved on to our 10yo trying to tell us she couldn't come in without a negative Covid test result. After lots of gesticulating with the other border guards we were eventually waved through. Just what our already frazzled nerves needed! In France now and really sorry for those of you who aren't going to to make it this weekend.
ski holidays
Tristero wrote:
Extremophile wrote:

Most will fake it, I assume. Some maybe on the way out as well.

Then spend the rest of the winter telling others they followed all the rules and 'why isn't Boris Johnson doing something different with restrictions?' ahh got to love a bit of self entitlement.
ski holidays
Oleski wrote:
Extremophile wrote:
Wonder what all these mad dash 'get there before the rules change' people are going to do if one of your group has a positive test for your uk re-entry? .

Same thing we would have done if rules didn't change. UK re-entry rules have been there long enough to put plans in place.

No, these are the tests taken before travelling back to the uk, not the day 2 tests. need I remind you it was only a couple of weeks ago on snow heads when loads of people got rather annoyed about the whole set up when the re-entry tests were introduced. Well... those people dashing out there now have forgotten all of that.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=157347
latest report
Fridge03 wrote:
Really hoping that Macron scores his political points with this move, banning us for over the Xmas period. Then similar to what we did with the red listed African countries, remove the ban (10 days I think wasn’t it?) and return to the previous measures once the French realise that omicron is likely already very prevalent.

Us brits do make up a significant amount of winter tourism, and allowing us to come back in the new year would go down well with the resorts I’m sure.

That's a bit like taking £10 off someone, then giving them 50p & expecting them to thank you!
latest report
albob wrote:
bezthespaniard wrote:

Interesting question -- would not the locator form give away that you had travelled from the UK?

===== edit ====

"France has announced a range of new restrictions on travel from the United Kingdom, effective as of Saturday, 18 December. These apply in full to travellers from Northern Ireland."

Depends on the rules. We would go to IReland and spend a day there before heading to france. doesnt say anywhere that you can't do that
snow report
ringingmaster wrote:
Amused by all the "I am OK, but feel sorry for ..." messages on this thread. Be careful, the schadenfreude is showing.

What a jaundiced view you have of other forum members!
snow report
bezthespaniard wrote:
albob wrote:
bezthespaniard wrote:

===== edit ====

Depends on the rules. We would go to IReland and spend a day there before heading to france. doesnt say anywhere that you can't do that

You're asked on the passenger locator form if you've stayed in any other country in the last 14 days.

Regarding travel from Northern Ireland - I think the French would struggle to identify anyone travelling from Northern Ireland on an Irish passport. Putting the country as Ireland rather than the UK is at least arguable under the Good Friday agreement...
snow conditions
Extremophile wrote:

That's the plan. I aint coming back in pre booked 2 weeks, I'm telling the kids school we're having to isolate in France due to + test for me then the nest week + test for the Mrs. don't know what the rest if the season holds and I can run my business from over here, 4 weeks skiing in the face of defeat
latest report
DidierCouch wrote:
bezthespaniard wrote:
albob wrote:
bezthespaniard wrote:

===== edit ====

You're asked on the passenger locator form if you've stayed in any other country in the last 14 days.

Regarding travel from Northern Ireland - I think the French would struggle to identify anyone travelling from Northern Ireland on an Irish passport. Putting the country as Ireland rather than the UK is at least arguable under the Good Friday agreement...

Which PLF? French only need Sworn Declaration?!
snow conditions
bezthespaniard wrote:
DidierCouch wrote:
bezthespaniard wrote:
albob wrote:
bezthespaniard wrote:

===== edit ====

Which PLF? French only need Sworn Declaration?!

If you are an EU->FR traveller there is no PLF, it's just the sworn declaration where you state where you live and origin country + you have not been in contact with anyone who has covid in the last 14 days.
ski holidays
Extremophile wrote:

Indeed, but it does rather depend on individual circumstances. If one is travelling by car / Eurotunnel and have your own place in France, its less of a issue than someone flying in on a weeks package deal.

I had intended to visit friends in CH in early new year, but have canned that until it all calms down again, mainly due to the risk of getting stuck out there for more time than I / family could warrant.
latest report
Can anyone tell me if I could go into Switzerland for some period and then travel from there across to France? Switzerland is France's 'Green List'. I'm thinking that I could stay in Switzerland, get a PCR/LFT and make a move from there..
ski holidays
iamandy wrote:
Can anyone tell me if I could go into Switzerland for some period and then travel from there across to France? Switzerland is France's 'Green List'. I'm thinking that I could stay in Switzerland, get a PCR/LFT and make a move from there..
The French statement of honour asks what countries you have been in in the previous 14 days.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That doesn't specify though that having been in the UK within that period, that entry would be denied. I haven't been able to find any ruling specific to this consideration..
latest report
Thanks for all the information in this thread so far!

I am curious having landed in Switzerland last week, whether flying back to London out of Paris will be fairly straight forward?

My understanding is it would be a case of the allowed exemptions permitting me to travel back as a UK citizen, and of course fulfilling the usual UK entry requirements.

And the signing of the French exit declaration here: https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Certificate-of-international-travel

If anyone has any data points on this would be much appreciated.

I assume this is all checked by airlines or what are the exit formalities like at the border when flying out?
snow report
Mother hucker wrote:
4 weeks skiing in the face of defeat

Only if you/someone in your group doesn't test positive, then you really will have to isolate - if one of you gets it, you all will...you are tempting fate by lying about having covid. And surely sets a terrible example to kids.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 17-12-21 17:06; edited 3 times in total
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
iamandy wrote:
The French statement of honour asks what countries you have been in in the previous 14 days.

I don’t see that anywhere. Doesn’t ask it.
snow report
bezthespaniard wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
iamandy wrote:

Perhaps it’s changed. The form I submitted 10 days ago did.
snow report
t44tomo wrote:
Extremophile wrote:

Indeed, but it does rather depend on individual circumstances. If one is travelling by car / Eurotunnel and have your own place in France, its less of a issue than someone flying in on a weeks package deal.

I had intended to visit friends in CH in early new year, but have canned that until it all calms down again, mainly due to the risk of getting stuck out there for more time than I / family could warrant.

I have no doubt that quite a few of the reported thousands trying to rush in to France before the rules change are trying to save their 1 or 2 week Christmas holiday, not get out to their apartment, which may be booked for the week they were planning to depart... what are they going to do, cancel their incoming guests last min if they can't leave due to a positive test?
snow conditions
I’m now very relaxed as I’m not going skiing and Inghams have emailed me saying I can have my money back. Hoping Cervinia in March happens. Good luck to all out there, but it appears this variant gives a massive chance of infection and quarantine . Keep safe all.
ski holidays
terrygasson wrote:
ringingmaster wrote:

i am one of those who have managed to adjust my plans, am travelling tonight instead of sat morning, am sorry if it comes over as gloating, it has not meant to be, in my case anyway.

obviously, it could go all belly up for me when i am out there and may have to travel back urgently!!!

Good luck to you mate. You've done what most of us on here would do and it certainly didn't come across as gloating.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
bezthespaniard wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
iamandy wrote:

Perhaps it’s changed. The form I submitted 10 days ago did.

What I see on the form is the need to 1: State where you reside + Nationality, 2: state your 'initial place of origin', and 3: declare that you have no knowledge of being in contact within someone that had Covid 19 during the last 14 days prior to departure..
snow report
Mother hucker wrote:
Extremophile wrote:

That's the plan. I aint coming back in pre booked 2 weeks, I'm telling the kids school we're having to isolate in France due to + test for me then the nest week + test for the Mrs. don't know what the rest if the season holds and I can run my business from over here, 4 weeks skiing in the face of defeat

And saying so on a public forum! Very Happy Very Happy Have you taught the kids everything they know? Toofy Grin Shocked
snow conditions
iamandy wrote:
What I see on the form is the need to 1: State where you reside + Nationality, 2: state your 'initial place of origin', and 3: declare that you have no knowledge of being in contact within someone that had Covid 19 during the last 14 days prior to departure..
So the initial point of origin is the UK, regardless of how long you spend in Switzerland. I appreciate that we're all looking for a loophole to get around this travel restriction, but it seems to me that spending a relatively short period of time in a third country before trying to enter France is something that these rules won't be designed to accommodate.
snow report
Well we changed our plans to try to get away today. Much stress yesterday to achieve it all, but one single, vital thing was beyond our control.
However our PCR tests didn't come back in time as the 24 hr priority post turned out to be 48 hours+, so much to the delight of Extremophile our Christmas plans are shattered.
We've had one single night away from home in over 2 years thanks to Covid, and lost 3 holidays now. All triple jabbed and have also all had covid.
Seriously gutted.

Hope those that did get away have a fantastic time and come home safe.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy