Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
@Rob Mackley, I would agree (again). A combination of something extremely transmissible and the fact we can't afford to do the only thing which would really make a difference (full lockdown) means it is likely to be a high (how high?) sharp spike.
I think Whitty said something along these lines today.
We've got Tignes lined up for Easter!
As it's Christmas and at the risk of testing the boundaries of good taste...'Let it rip, let it rip, let it rip'...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kettonskimum wrote:
Do you think that France is getting us back finally for summer's 'Amber Plus'?????

Don't forget Boris's open letter to Macron about migrants.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This might be too soon (! - sorry wink wink ) for those of you who have just had their holidays cancelled but we are due in Belle Plagne on the 28th (from Ireland so no travel restrictions) - just wondering if there is any advice about potential last minute accomodation cancellations - thinking we might be able to snag a deal?
Thanks and hope you get on the slopes soon!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Pepper, don't you already have accomodation booked?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bergmeister wrote:

Absolutely shocking figures! The French really don't deserve our business at all, do they? Puzzled

This seems like nothing more than pettiness and punishment for Brexit. Sad

not at all. not in the slightest. not if you talk to business owners here, especially in e.g. Morzine/LGs, Vd'I, et al., very uk dependent ... talk to your ersewhole clown minister promising tsunamis of infection and plunging his syphilitic nose into any possible anti French argument possible.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hells Bells wrote:
@Pepper, don't you already have accomodation booked?

I do but with free cancellation so potentially looking for q better deal!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just a heads up for anyone out in France at the moment, as I am. I had a Jet 2 return flight Lyon - Manchester booked for Monday 20th. Just had an email to say that is cancelled, understandably I guess as they will have next to no outbound passengers. As it happens I had decided to return in the car instead of leaving it here in case this goes on for ages. Others may no be so fortunately positioned Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kenzie wrote:
FrediKanoute wrote:
This whole reaction is closing the door after the horse has bolted. Its a farce both the UK and France. Pointless stopping UK arrivals if you still have porous borders elsewhere.

Yes there will be more hospitalisations, but that was always going to be the case in Winter.

Please do not confuse common sense with political posturing - especially with a Presidential election looming. Laughing

Can't we just rename the variant 'Oh Macron!', so his legacy can continue when he gets booted out of office?!? rolling eyes Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jafa wrote:
Travellers in transit for less than 24 hours in an international zone.[b]

This is an interesting one.

Some are interpreting it that if you for example fly into CdG and you are transiting to HR, then your fine, but NOT if you are driving through the tunnel on route to say Austria.

So logically thinking that would mean that they are happy you sat in an airport mixing with hundreds maybe thousands of others, but not all right to remain in your car and drive down the motorway with only your car passengers as close contacts.

If true, a very strange one IMHO.

Ive not contacted Eurotunnel today for clarification, as Im sure they were busy!!!!!!!!

Website says, under no uncertain terms, you cant use our services.

Edit:
https://help.eurotunnel.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360021203398-Can-I-transit-through-France-to-another-country-

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 16-12-21 20:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Has the official announcement been made yet? Is there a possible end date to this restriction?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Absolutely gutted that my trip from the 30th is cancelled, but i can understand it.

All those criticizing Macron, France, Brexit, the EU, etc. need to consider the bigger picture. It is inevitable that by blocking UK non-essential travel, that some chains of transmission will not occur, and therefore, however small, the chance that someone's life will be saved is not insignificant. Yes, businesses will lose money, and we might reconsider France as a destination in the future, but as a French president, he has little choice.

I lived in France for 5 years, I am a Francophile, I don't always agree with the French (especially Parisians), but they have top advisors, and are rational. There are probably people like me who would have driven via Eurotunnel, and the only increased risk would have been eating out in a restaurant most nights, but there are plenty of people who would fly in a metal tube with others who could be transmitting Omicron, which seems very transmittable.

It's disappointing to see people looking to sidestep the rules by travelling via other countries. I am also disappointed in people who won't have the vaccine, in my view, both groups extend the length of this pandemic.

Skiing is food for my soul, but my wife is an NHS consultant, and skiing pails into insignificance compared to what the NHS is facing.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

Edit:
https://help.eurotunnel.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360021203398-Can-I-transit-through-France-to-another-country-[/quote]

That is pretty clear cut but we have residency in Austria so though “ we are travelling through France” when you see what are the exception of which there are many that is one so goes against the blanket statement so bloody confusing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is there anyone flying with easyJet soon that has heard anything from the airline or managed to speak with them? I've tried calling them today as we're due to travel on the 1st Jan. Unfortunately I've not been able to get through.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@twoodwar, I will be after the Pandemic, to a first world country - Germany and join my fellow Yorkshire Men who have decided to live there. Very Happy Back Saturday morning skiing Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@The_Gate, well said
latest report
Quote:

Is there anyone flying with easyJet soon that has heard anything from the airline or managed to speak with them? I've tried calling them today as we're due to travel on the 1st Jan. Unfortunately I've not been able to get through.

I'm due to fly on 23 Dec, to Marseille. I didn't try to get through to them today but surprised that there was NOTHING about the new French restrictions on their website and this afternoon I received a routine "get ready for your flight" email. I might try to phone them tomorrow. Mine is a flexible flight. I doubt if they've got round to flights that aren't till 1st Jan yet (or even 23 December!)
ski holidays
@mikeje99, get this week's crap out of the way first then maybe new year can be attended to.
ski holidays
Pepper wrote:
This might be too soon (! - sorry wink wink ) for those of you who have just had their holidays cancelled but we are due in Belle Plagne on the 28th (from Ireland so no travel restrictions) - just wondering if there is any advice about potential last minute accomodation cancellations - thinking we might be able to snag a deal?
Thanks and hope you get on the slopes soon!

Try Ski-Planet, we have just cancelled our 5 bed in Tignes
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx,

Apologies if I've offended by my question. I was really just trying to understand if anyone traveling soon has heard anything from easyJet.
ski holidays
jafa wrote:

Edit:
https://help.eurotunnel.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360021203398-Can-I-transit-through-France-to-another-country-

That is pretty clear cut but we have residency in Austria so though “ we are travelling through France” when you see what are the exception of which there are many that is one so goes against the blanket statement so bloody confusing[/quote]

That’s a good point Jafa. Didn’t think of that. Hope you get the exception and make it there. Eh oh! Eh oh!
ski holidays
@Dougie,

It gets even more complicated as this is the link from my live eurotunnel booking and I click on the link to complete the declaration

2.1. Movement regulations
If already vaccinated, you are under no restrictions when entering Metropolitan France.

If unvaccinated, you must give a compelling reason to be allowed to enter Metropolitan France. The tentative list of compelling reasons features on the certificate of entry into metropolitan France that can be downloaded below.
In France, marriage is a compelling reason for entry into the country according to the prevailing health measures. It is up to the third-country national to check whether he/she should apply for a visa to enter France for this purpose. In this respect, the applicant may request a short-stay visa, or a long-stay visa, if he/she is also eligible for any of the reasons, under the conditions laid down in Articles L. 312-2 to L. 312-4 of the Code on the Entry and Residence of Foreigners, and the Right of Asylum. It is up to the applicant to confirm the type of visa required in his/her case on the " France visa external link "

Now when you click on the download to complete as entering France as a fully vaccinated person it goes back to the form I completed yesterday. Is this a rethink on the French part.

As expected the Live Chat with eurotunnel isnt working. Even if i got through to them I only expect them to refer me to the various sites. At the end of the day, its not Eurotunnels decision if we can or not travel, it will be the French Border control

We have just a small issue as there are three of us travelling over. Me and my wife have the EU50 cards, but my sister is flying down from Inverness to drive across with us. It obviously all or nothing as far as we go or not. Im 100% certain that if its the "compelling reason" she individually wouldnt qualify if she was a sole occupant in a car as opposed to the third individual in ours. Ive been through the tunnel three times over the last two months, and though we upload our Dec to Eurotunnel, I dont know if the Border people even see it. Ive never been asked to produce it.

The dec has cetainly changed from yesterday, and back again, so who knows!!
latest report
@mikeje99, we were due to fly to GVA with easyJet on Sunday ( transiting to France). I managed to get through to them and the gave us a full refund
snow report
@Bella2015, Thank you and sorry you didn't get to go but at least you've managed to get a full refund. Fingers crossed we can all get some skiing in before the end of the season.
snow conditions
@feefee, Club Med have cancelled all holidays to France between now and 2/1/22
latest report
terrygasson wrote:
just changed my "squeezy" flight from LGW to Grenoble on sat morning, to LGW to paris CDG friday evening, am overnighting at a hotel by the airport then getting a direct train from CDG to moutier on Saturday morning.

it will probably cost me around £200 extra for all of this, but life is too short to worry about it.

this B!!!!!!s could drag on for years to come, if not this variant it could be the next one!!!

as a solo traveller, I am fortunate to be in a more flexible position than most.

feel really sorry for anybody affected by the latest changes, i know of a couple of families (one being my daughters best friends family) who's holiday plans have been kiboshed at the last minute Sad Sad

I hope you have a good holiday dude, I would have done the same in your position, have a great time!
ski holidays
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/macron-s-covid-strategy-is-to-blame-it-on-britain
ski holidays
Has anyone seen a review date published for the new French travel restrictions?

Thanks
latest report
Jet2 has emailed to cancel our flight from BHX to GNB on 2 Jan 2022, so they clearly don't seem to think restrictions will have eased by then, given that they've provided an unprompted full refund...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:

Absolutely shocking figures! The French really don't deserve our business at all, do they? Puzzled

This seems like nothing more than pettiness and punishment for Brexit. Sad

not at all. not in the slightest. not if you talk to business owners here, especially in e.g. Morzine/LGs, Vd'I, et al., very uk dependent ... talk to your ersewhole clown minister promising tsunamis of infection and plunging his syphilitic nose into any possible anti French argument possible.

I was really writing in the context of Perty's very interesting figures and not meaning that individual businesses (that I feel very sorry for) don't deserve our business. It will be interesting to see if the French ban citizens of other countries (or any in the EU) as their case numbers go up. I still think they are giving us 2 fingers in response to Brexit - which is supported by Mountainaddict's post above Sad .

And I agree 100% with your view about Johnson by the way. wink
latest report
Travelski, the new tour op owned by Compagnie des Alpes, who run package deals by Eurostar have cancelled holidays commencing up to 2 Jan, so a bit of a clue.
latest report
elefantfresh wrote:
Looking for alternatives, would Scotland be an option? I know its not "the alps" but at least its something?

You don't want to go skiing in Scotland it's really terrible Toofy Grin

Being more serious if you are close enough to go for the day it is an option. Booking anything in advance is pot luck IMHO and not something I would contemplate. Then again I can reach all the resorts for a days skiing. There was some skiing last weekend

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXTHmYhKtDq/?utm_medium=share_sheet

But the snow has gone now Sad
snow report
@mikeje99, we were flying EasyJet Edinburgh to Geneva Saturday and even got a "before your flight" email this afternoon. Managed to cancel for a refund this evening
ski holidays
@terrygasson @terrygasson,
Great move! Enjoy your trip!
ski holidays
aplaceinthesun wrote:
Jet2 has emailed to cancel our flight from BHX to GNB on 2 Jan 2022, so they clearly don't seem to think restrictions will have eased by then, given that they've provided an unprompted full refund...

Mrs TFS and I were both really busy at work today and before we’d got round to contacting Jet2, they’d contacted us to refund our flights on Sunday 19th. So very good service there!
snow conditions
@jafa -- I think that the pages you are looking at have not been updated following todays announcement...
snow conditions
Amused by all the "I am OK, but feel sorry for ..." messages on this thread. Be careful, the schadenfreude is showing.
latest report
Really hoping that Macron scores his political points with this move, banning us for over the Xmas period. Then similar to what we did with the red listed African countries, remove the ban (10 days I think wasn’t it?) and return to the previous measures once the French realise that omicron is likely already very prevalent.

Us brits do make up a significant amount of winter tourism, and allowing us to come back in the new year would go down well with the resorts I’m sure.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/macron-s-covid-strategy-is-to-blame-it-on-britain

what a load of unfounded opinionated crap that is,
snow conditions
Mother hucker wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:

what a load of unfounded opinionated crap that is,

To be fair, it is actually an opinion piece, so it might not hit the mark if it wasnt - erm - opinionated. snowHead
latest report
@Fridge03, quite a bit of shouty comment from the ski tourism industry this morning, overall 10% of business and some like Morzine or Vd'I where its 50% or over ...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy