Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
The Black Tusk wrote:
Isolation is pointless as you would arrive in the country negative with vaccines on board.

Correct but this is exactly what UK is doing for months for any traveller..... France will just start to do it next saturday....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@feefee, BA have been pretty good at changes/refunds/credits, regardless of the reason.

I had an alternative return from the Psb via Grenoble. Cancelled it Friday morning. No problems. Credit confirmation within a couple of hours.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brianatab wrote:
@ringingmaster, When they are swamped with Omnicron, they won't want tens of thousands of visitors potentially clogging up their health service with skiing injuries, so the restrictions are likely to remain.

Even if Omnicron causes only half the rate of hospitalisation, the R rate is 2-3 times that of Delta, so the effect on services is likely to be greater.

I'm normally a glass half full person, but also a realist.

If that were the reason then they’d be shutting access to all countries, not just the UK
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Black Tusk wrote:
Doesn’t make sense , what are the purpose of the restrictions?

Appears a bit tit for tat with the UK government.

Certainly the Guardian article implies that

Quote:
The tighter restrictions come during what analysts have said is a breakdown of trust between the British and French governments in the aftermath of Brexit over a range of issues from migrants to fishing and the Northern Ireland protocol.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had flights booked with Jet2 for 22nd of Jan, do you think I have any chances of getting a refund from them?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
corshidan wrote:
I had flights booked with Jet2 for 22nd of Jan, do you think I have any chances of getting a refund from them?

I think you’ll only get a refund if the flight is cancelled, and as it stands, there’s still a chance these restrictions will be lifted.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We added all our extras for Tignes in Feb last night, I feel there may have been little point now.

BUT... And it's a big but, I'm not cancelling or stressing just yet as this may be a flash in the pan for the festive period and have calmed down by the time we're due to travel.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We are French residents. Can our daughter join us for Christmas from London ? There’s so much conflicting advice and the usual French government website doesn’t seem to have published anything yet.
My guess is that the ban will just be for the Christmas holidays as I can’t see the French will want to lose the revenue from tourism for another ski season.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
feefee wrote:
Boom and it’s over, that’s our family Christmas holiday screwed, and I thought we are triple jabbed so we can try to get on with our lives, I must be missing something Puzzled gutted for everyone. Now the scramble to get refunds if we are entitled to them? Flying to Geneva isn’t France, I hope BA are reasonable in this!

Nail. On. Head.

2 years of this and we are no further forward at all, despite the vaccine. It's devastating news for all on here and there is no end in sight.

Our only hope is that French restrictions will be lifted in time to save at least something of the season - but I'm not holding my breath... Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timmycb5 wrote:
corshidan wrote:

I think you’ll only get a refund if the flight is cancelled, and as it stands, there’s still a chance these restrictions will be lifted.

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately the place where we booked said we can only get 70% of our money back if we cancel before 20th of Dec, and we pretty much decided we will cancel. Sad times..
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think this was said above but all the messaging of get vaccinated, get your boosters etc and then it basically makes no difference. Sorry its doom and gloom but really why would you take the risk of booking a ski holiday next year now? I really feel for the travel agents and the resorts themselves. Both countries are full of this variant so both governments are just being ridiculous. Horses, stable and bolts spring to mind.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Specialman wrote:
Very frustrating.
My optimism levels were on the rise (stupidly) and with just three days until flying to Toulouse, I thought we had this in the bag. Stupid me.
My kids will be gutted, we've talked up this trip so much.
Hopefully Crystal will get in touch and just refund - anyway, phone lines will undoubtedly be clogged up by those people who have a holiday book at Easter but are panicking now!

If I was the minister for Tourism in Andorra, I'd be most pi$$ed off - effectively cut off from much of one of your biggest markets.

Is there a chance TUI will now fly to BCN ?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Euro tunnel tickets now completely sold out for tomorrow. We've booked a package holiday so refund for the holiday should be straightforward.
Does anyone have experience of ESF refunding ski lessons? That's yet another £700 gone
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Johnny996.
We did the same last night, we have just got a refund.. Give it a go?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Warnergb7 wrote:
Sorry its doom and gloom but really why would you take the risk of booking a ski holiday next year now? .

Our French trip was booked months ago, only using the minimal deposit though however I had to pay the balance for our Italian trip last week.
snow conditions
r11s wrote:
Specialman wrote:
Very frustrating.
My optimism levels were on the rise (stupidly) and with just three days until flying to Toulouse, I thought we had this in the bag. Stupid me.
My kids will be gutted, we've talked up this trip so much.
Hopefully Crystal will get in touch and just refund - anyway, phone lines will undoubtedly be clogged up by those people who have a holiday book at Easter but are panicking now!

If I was the minister for Tourism in Andorra, I'd be most pi$$ed off - effectively cut off from much of one of your biggest markets.

Is there a chance TUI will now fly to BCN ?

They did suggest they would do this - but doesn't work for anyone with single vaxxed teens as they're not allowed into Spain at all
snow conditions
Not cancelling anything yet as still 2 weeks until due to travel - anything could happen.

Always later in the season

As for vaccines and boosters - understand the comment but fewer people getting seriously ill, fewer people dying, NHS not being swamped. All more important than skiing
ski holidays
Boarderfarce wrote:
Euro tunnel tickets now completely sold out for tomorrow.

Still Eurotunnel tickets for today all day long
ski holidays
Plan B. Has anyone looked into whether USA, Scandanavia, Andorra (via Spain) are possibilities from this weekend? Last time I looked I couldn't get a single vaxed 12-15 into Canada, so I think Canada is out
latest report
The policies seem to be changing constantly, and will probably change again before mid Jan, but I am supposed to be going back to London (flying BA) for a few days in Jan.
Trying to get my head around the regs for a triple jabbed EU Covid app person, but as I understand it this is what I will need to do:

Friday afternoon - Get Antigen test in Morzine Pharmacy, fill-in UK PLF, book day 2-test.
Sat AM cross from France into CH ( I am not worried about this bit as I am a cross border worker with a permit allowing me to go in and out of CH at will).
Show NEG test from Friday, plus PLF and 2d test booking to get on the plane.
On arrival take my 2d test straight away and then hunker down at my hotel (or wherever I put on PLF) until I get the results. Once clear I can leave the hotel.
I fly back on the Wednesday (day 5), so I need to take a coming back to France test Tuesday night, fill in a PLF for France (not sure if I need that for Neighbouring areas, but as its only 5 minutes its probably worth it in case).
Then Wednesday I can board flight to CH equipped with new NEG test EU C19 Pass, PLF and CdS showing I am a resident of France.
Wednesday night cross back to France.
Does that sound right or am I missing some bits.
latest report
Perty wrote:
We were due to drive down on Boxing day, together with family, with Mr P and I there for at least a month...
I just want to cry. I've been holding out for this for so long.

I don't think Mr P and I can do a work around to leave by tomorrow evening. Too much to do work wise for him and me (even though I could probably go remote next week), and we would also be cancelling Christmas day at ours, which, even on a shrunk down basis, would have to involve elderly parents and immediate family.

It's abolutely awful news for all of us isn't it?

Is Mr P pleased he has managed to ski there this season, or, like us, does he feel disappointed to have sampled the goods - only to then have them ripped from his grasp?

And no doubt we will be screwed with our season pass purchases, with no hope of any recompense. Sad

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 16-12-21 11:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

Our French trip was booked months ago, only using the minimal deposit though however I had to pay the balance for our Italian trip last week

Same here. We are due to leave on 1 January. Loads of tests ordered and sat next to me as I type. Tests booked in la plagne for the kids. All a waste of time. We paid the balance about three weeks ago and will be on the phone soon to see what options are.

We are due in Les Arcs in April so I cling to the hope of that but at this point, I don’t know whether I would pay the deposit if they ask me.
snow report
The difference between Amber and Red is Control of the variant in some way. Given the removal of all UK red list countries and the dismal pressers, especially the one last night saying nothing, France had no alternative but to put the UK on the Red list. Whether it will do anything, probably not, but at least in my view, they had no alternative.
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, sounds about right.
ski holidays
Wonder what the chances are of France lifting the ban like the UK recently did lifting the red list once Omicron was rampant Puzzled
latest report
Crushing news, and I feel for all of those who have shelled out and have to start the clawback rigmarole. We were due to travel on the 3rd Jan, staying for the month, but at least we can cancel with no loss, unless there's even smaller print in the Ts n Cs. Our accom is available in March on the same cancellation terms- we'll chat about grabbing that maybe. At least this is only year one of my car lease, so two more seasons without the snow chain runaround!
latest report
@under a new name, Thanks for the affirmation.
It's a bit faffy but ultimately achievable.
snow conditions
I know it says tourism not essential but we would be driving through France to Belgium. Wouldn’t be getting out of the car. Would they take that into consideration.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We're due to travel in feb to Val D'isere. Might be wishful thinking on my part, but i think that the french will lift restrictions within a few weeks.

Not that that helps those due to travel within that time frame.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 16-12-21 12:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Just goes to show.. two vaccines and a booster were a waste of time as is PCR testing...
snow report
Dougie wrote:
I know it says tourism not essential but we would be driving through France to Belgium. Wouldn’t be getting out of the car. Would they take that into consideration.

eurotunnel?

Guessing they'll impose the restriction before even entering france but need to wait for the official word.
ski holidays
Due to go to Les Arcs 22 Jan via Geneva, was just about to cancel my Vrbo booking and change flights but I've got till the 7th for a full refund on the Vrbo booking so I'm going to hold tight, you never know. Fk this fking virus.
ski holidays
Chamsters wrote:
Dougie wrote:

eurotunnel?

Guessing they'll impose the restriction before even entering france but need to wait for the official word.

It seems that Transit in France will be allowed but when into an International Zone (aka Airport) and for EU Citizen returning into their home country....
snow report
Boris wrote:
As for vaccines and boosters - understand the comment but fewer people getting seriously ill, fewer people dying, NHS not being swamped. All more important than skiing
This.

But then we are on a skiing forum Smile

I feel sorry for all those impacted, and yes everything changes very quickly. Make the best of what you have - I had two days of ski so far, maybe there won't be anymore (for a start the delta is wreaking havoc in the kids' last days at school, and omicron's not even prevalent...) but then we'll switch to something else for a while.
snow conditions
Hoping you can help. Were due to visit the wife's family for xmas in Samoens. Does that count as family under compelling reason? I see the link in the french ambafrance link pasted above but i can't translate.
ski holidays
invest wrote:
Hoping you can help. Were due to visit the wife's family for xmas in Samoens. Does that count as family under compelling reason? I see the link in the french ambafrance link pasted above but i can't translate.

Nope this is tourism unless you or your wife got a french passport
latest report
What i thought Sad
snow conditions
@yorkshirelad, don’t think so. You may not have been able to post at all without them!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 16-12-21 11:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Specialman wrote:

I know you're at the mercy of the TO, but just wondering if flying into Spain for a trip to Andorra was still an option. Not sure what the current Spanish travel restrictions are..
ski holidays
Big news alright, looked to have driven biggest number of concurrent users on this site ever.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy