Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Day 2 PCR test - when does it start?

Poster: A snowHead
@RichardB, have travelled back from canada 3 times this year via T2 , booked per test at airport with zero issues and even though its hard to estimate time from gate , it wasn't a problem to just get it done when we turned up , once on time and twice 1hr early as queues were non existent . driving home and stops for comfort and fuel are allowed , obviously id wished it was impossible to sort then I could have just stayed in squamish , but it was very straight forward
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

currently the PCR tests in the UK are free and you can walk into them daily if you so wish.

@jafa, you've ALWAYS had to pay for the tests you need for travel.

@CaravanSkier has recommended TestingforAll. I've only used them for antibody tests, which I've paid for, but been very impressed with the speed of results, and their general customer service.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
If anyone finds a rapid/same day result PCR for Arrivals (day 2) please share here, one needed for a T5 arrival this Friday am.

This lot offer arrival PCR tests at LHR, as well as loads of other locations:
https://www.expresstest.co.uk/

Thanks, unfortunately their arrival test results are not express - results are not back until 10pm next day on all their PCR arrival tests. Only their out bound pre-departure tests do they offer a rapid 3 hr result PCR. Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dabber wrote:
@RichardB, have travelled back from canada 3 times this year via T2 , booked per test at airport with zero issues and even though its hard to estimate time from gate , it wasn't a problem to just get it done when we turned up , once on time and twice 1hr early as queues were non existent . driving home and stops for comfort and fuel are allowed , obviously id wished it was impossible to sort then I could have just stayed in squamish , but it was very straight forward

Was this a day 2 arrival test (complete with passenger locator form refernce) ? And if so, did you get the PCR result the same day, and if so who was the provider ? Many thanks!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:

So if I’m understanding this we can order the PCR test kits to arrive at home on 20 December, drive off to the Alps on 24th, arrive back on 1st via Eurotunnel. Drive to North Yorkshire and post off the completed test on 2nd, result on 3rd? Happy days….what a load of nonsense though.

I'd build in a bit more time than that, mentally at least. Ours went into the postbox on a Fri evening (after last post), results received 23.00 Monday.

Whereas using Randox, I dumped mine in one of their collection bins on a Friday night and we received the result by Saturday evening.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@hammerite, yes, that was Randox too. It was fine for us because there was no restriction in Sept, but the timings will be more important to people now.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scarlet, absolutely. Ideally I want to be able to test at the airport when I land and have the results a few hours later. If they can do it for outbound flights, they should be able to do it for inbound flights. Let’s hope the testing companies get round to organising it this week.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@brianatab, we sorted our Day 2 tests after we left home earlier this year, and they emailed us the code for the PLF with the order confirmation. Had someone at home if that hadn't been the case though.
No PCR facility at Eurotunnel, so we will have to drive home to do the tests, then sort the posting off the following day, Tuesday 4th. So it will be at least Wednesday by the time we get the results.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hells Bells, are the Day 2 PCR tests time defined? What I mean is can one order them before departure, take them away, and then do the tests on arrival through the tunnel and post on the way home?
Or do they have to be completed within a certain number of days of them being dispatched to home address?
We appear to be favouring Boots this time round, so I am told.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Quote:

currently the PCR tests in the UK are free and you can walk into them daily if you so wish.

@jafa, you've ALWAYS had to pay for the tests you need for travel.

If you read my post again, I have answered that already. Of course travel ones havent ever been free, but walking into a PCR centre has. The question I was asking why the difference. Its all geared up to work, why have go through some one like Paterson`s links (Randox) to line his pockets further.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pamski wrote:
@Hells Bells, are the Day 2 PCR tests time defined? What I mean is can one order them before departure, take them away, and then do the tests on arrival through the tunnel and post on the way home?
Or do they have to be completed within a certain number of days of them being dispatched to home address?
We appear to be favouring Boots this time round, so I am told.

I think in theory yes you could do that. But last time we had to attend a scheduled zoom interview whilst opening the tests. I guess if you are very organised and tech savvy that could all be done on the move. Does anyone know if there is still the requirement for that video call?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Has anyone travelled recently, requiring a day 2 LFT or PCR, having had covid in the prior 90 days? NHS say one should not test again during that time due to the risk of false positives, although that does not appear to be reflected in the day 2 testing requirement Puzzled
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PCR tests.
As I'm still hot to trot for this weekend even though Geneva Airport might not let us in, I had better get myself a PCR test organised

1) to go
2) and one to take on return.

It looks like I can get the one for £43 sent to my home address from Randox if I use the discount code "easyjet2021"
or for £35 if I collect from a location such as Stansted Airport drive through.

Is that as cheap as it gets for PCRs?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone know if you can get PCRs at Folkestone Eurotunnel arrivals? We drive back on 31/12/2021 at 10pm...assuming everything will be shut?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hells Bells wrote:
@brianatab, we sorted our Day 2 tests after we left home earlier this year, and they emailed us the code for the PLF with the order confirmation. Had someone at home if that hadn't been the case though.
No PCR facility at Eurotunnel, so we will have to drive home to do the tests, then sort the posting off the following day, Tuesday 4th. So it will be at least Wednesday by the time we get the results.

On my recent trip to Sweden I tried to have the PCR test delivered early so I knew it was waiting but they refused to post. You can book in advance so you have the details for the PLF.
It is scheduled to arrive on the day you land.. it was on time so no complaints.

The strange thing is you can take it on the first day then post so you don't need to wait until day 2.

Also, look on royal mail and they have a list of "priority mailboxes"

These are emptied more frequently and you will get the result back quicker. Also if you post on a Saturday in a normal post box and it is not picked up until Monday the test may be negative for the test and control so may need done again.

So it is prudent to use the priority mailboxes.
snow conditions
If the UK introduces 8 Day mandatory quarantine the Winter is done! PCR's are an inconvenience, but no problem, but the devolved authorities are calling for 8 day quarantine.
ski holidays
Gazzza wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
If anyone finds a rapid/same day result PCR for Arrivals (day 2) please share here, one needed for a T5 arrival this Friday am.

Thanks, unfortunately their arrival test results are not express - results are not back until 10pm next day on all their PCR arrival tests. Only their out bound pre-departure tests do they offer a rapid 3 hr result PCR. Sad

With some searching, there are providers who do a same day service, like Vivo clinic and Randox.
The difference is the price, i.e @£60 for next day and double that for Same day.
To be a post arrival PCR, the lab has to do strain testing/identification, unlike the fit to fly departure PCR
snow conditions
SBP wrote:
Gazzza wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

With some searching, there are providers who do a same day service, like Vivo clinic and Randox.
The difference is the price, i.e @£60 for next day and double that for Same day.
To be a post arrival PCR, the lab has to do strain testing/identification, unlike the fit to fly departure PCR

I've been looking for the same myself, found a few options but all circa £150 for same day up North. If at Heathrow then these London based centres might be worth a look into @ £89 for a 6-12 hour turnaround, never used then so not a recommendation but cheapest I came across when looking:

https://biogroup-laboratory.co.uk/day-2-pcr-test/
snow report
Some useful info including lots of links here:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/how-to-find-the-cheapest-private-coronavirus-tests-for-travel/

You can find your nearest Royal Mail Priority Box here by ticking the, err, box:

https://www.royalmail.com/services-near-you#/

Note that these are not collected more frequently but they are collected after a defined time towards the end of the day - check the plate on the box. On collection, the postie will segregate all the test kits and make sure they are expedited. All other boxes may be collected at any time after, I think, 9:30AM. Do not put any test kits in these or they will likely end up being handled along with the rest of the mail and the posties don't like it.
latest report
Anyone know of a day 2 PCR click and collect in or near Heathrow. We’ve a long drive home after landing so preference is to just pick up car and get down the M4 and so a self test, post or drop box back is preference.
latest report
Macker13 wrote:
Anyone know if you can get PCRs at Folkestone Eurotunnel arrivals? We drive back on 31/12/2021 at 10pm...assuming everything will be shut?

No, there are no testing facilities at Folkestone.
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:
Anyone know of a day 2 PCR click and collect in or near Heathrow. We’ve a long drive home after landing so preference is to just pick up car and get down the M4 and so a self test, post or drop box back is preference.

One of the companies listed on govt website of providers has click and collect from a Heathrow hotel lobby
Have a look and see if that fits
snow report
Dabber wrote:

We land 11.40 next Monday but it’s hard to figure what time to book a test for. What did you book for giving passport & luggage collection?
snow conditions
snowornever wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:

One of the companies listed on govt website of providers has click and collect from a Heathrow hotel lobby
Have a look and see if that fits

Will do thanks. The Collinson Group offer an off site near T3 which is looking a good option just trying now to figure out how you book a time slot with passport, luggage Cole tin etc.

We will have spent £400 on this holiday on PCR tests for 2 of us. One to leave UK, one to leave Sri Lanka and now one when home. Shocked Shocked

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 30-11-21 16:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Can I pick up a "Day 2 PCR" test today for a trip next week?
I just want to have it available for when I arrive home.
snow conditions
@DrLawn, from experience back in the summer, probably not. I couldn't even order one before I left the country. We had to do it while we were away and it was delivered to the house in time for the test, the code for the Passenger Locator form came by email.
ski holidays
Gazzza wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

10am the next day is the best I’ve found so far. Collinson said their 3 hour turnaround test is not *yet* approved for arrivals. It’s a massive pain in the back bottom.
latest report
@Gazzza, collinson , got the result between 6 and 20 hrs , yes the pre booked 2 day test on the passenger locator form
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@valdorange, it is a crazy situation , I used my status as one who had covid between 14 and 90 days to not having to take an arrivals test in canada and to be allowed to travel without a negative per test , but when I had to get a per test to fly home ( as couldn't get a LFT good enough to qualify uk entry ) I had to risk taking a PCR and it being clear , which it was 63 days after my positive test , not sure how this pans out under new rules
snow conditions
Hi @Hells Bells,
I'm sorted .. well sort of sorted.
I went down to Stansted this afternoon to click and collect the "Fit to Fly" PCR + a "2 Day return" PCR £35 each.
From Randox

They have an app, the trouble is they have a few apps, to cause me confusion but the one I needed was not available from the Play Store but I found a link to it somewhere on the website.

Good looking website but obviously not tested, it works, but by a lot of trial end co@k up.
Just lucky I have enough time on my hands.
I plan to take the test tomorrow morning, phaaf with the app and get it into one of the Randox collection bins.
I expect to get a result by midnight on Thursday.
latest report
Our experience of a day 2...

We arrived back from Sri Lanka on Monday into Heathrow T3, with a 3 hour drive home we decided to get a test done in Heathrow as soon as we picked up the car, based on a name in this thread we booked a test with https://www.collinsongroup.com/en/covid-19-testing in their off site location on Cardinal Road. Then came the issue of what time do we book for, we were due to land 11.40 but had no idea how long passport & luggage would take. Tried contacting Heathrow and Collinson for some guidance but neither would help, so we decided to play a bit safe and hope if early they would see us and booked 1.30pm.
In the end, we landed on time but then spent 30 minutes waiting for a parking spot for the plane. We got off the plane at 12.20pm and we were in our car at 1pm with bags. Passport control was electronic gates and moving at speed, nothing like as bad as we had read. It was only a 5 minute drive to the test so we just went.
When we got there their only check was we had booked a test, no one looked at the time slot, its a huge conveyor belt. Anyway test done lunchtime Monday and email midnight Tuesday to say negative. Thought they were slow in giving results but it was quicker than going home and posting. Their price was £69 each but I googled for a discount code, found one and paid £55 each. It was our 3rd PCR oof the holiday. One to leave UK, one to leave Sri Lanka and one in UK, all negative. We are triple vaccinated, much respect to the scientists.
snow report
@thefatcontroller, thanks for the report. Good to know that they were not strict about the time you turned up for your test.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
@thefatcontroller, thanks for the report. Good to know that they were not strict about the time you turned up for your test.

There is a little bit of a cheat as when you go to book they show you on the website how many slots are free at the time. We had made our booking 5 days in advance but we knew by trying to make a dummy booking the day before that there were lots of free slots on either side of us. The system shows they can book 49 in every 15 minutes. In saying that I think at Heathrow they are used to people being early or late due to flights, I think they try to accommodate no matter what. Someone is making huge ££££
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy