Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Day 2 PCR test - when does it start?

Poster: A snowHead
Bojo announced yesterday that we would need to take a PCR test by day 2 and self isolate until the results are known. Has anyone found a source that says when this is being introduced?
The rules on face masks in shops and public transport are being reported as coming in on Tuesday but I've seen nothing about when the PCR testing regime starts
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
4am Tuesday according to a message, from a family member currently in Europe, received from the passenger locator account.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@CaravanSkier, Thanks. Very helpful. My OH just arrived from USA and we have antigen test lined up. Was going to be a challenge getting a PCR test done in the time-frame
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Think the difference here is although it is a two day test it has to be taken within the two days not on day two this time . So you can take upon arrival and the isolation period could be very short .
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Rob Mackley, Agreed - that could work well. Providing that the system is set up to facilitate testing on arrival. The wording last night seemed to imply that it had already been brought in
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So Im assuming that while currently you can walk into a test centre and get a free one, they will start charging Im assuming to one of the buffons friends somewhere?

Why the difference I dont know, but Im not expecting it any other way.

Too simple I suppose to use the current system that is set up and working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay the numbers will naturally increase, but surely thats more favourable than using a new company that hasnt been doing it more recently.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jafa, I don't really have an issue with the switch from lateral flow to PCR as I imagine that is intended to assist tracking this potentially serious new VOC. My question was just about timing - mormally when something like this is announced they say when it will start but that was missing in the reporting yesterday of Saturday's announcement
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DCG, Tuesday
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jafa,

With the current system you cannot simply go to a test centre after arriving in the UK to get a free "day 2 post arrival" lateral flow test. You have to organise it before leaving wherever you are abroad, you get a reference number which you put on your "passenger locator form" beofre you arrive back in the UK.

You have to pay for a "Travel" test. The free ones from the NHS do NOT cover travel.

The PCR Test will probably be the same ie you book & pay for it in advance. put the reference no on your Passenger Locator Form and get it done within 2 days of getting back to the UK.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jafa, has any of the tests for travel purposes been free in the UK?

as I had no previous plans to travel I have not really looked into it, I am now looking into getting a test when I return (if i get to go!!) from France at Christmas, it seemed like up to yesterday I would have only needed a LFT, as i am dbl jabbed and boosted, but now require a PCR.

I thought there had been numerous debates on this forum regarding this, as the argument is that if you want to travel abroad, then it is your choice to do so, and therefore should pay for it.

its my choice to travel, so I will pay for it, obviously i would rather not, but that is where we are at the moment

I don't know what the situation is in other countries (if testing has been required), does other nations charge their population for foreign travel tests?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@terrygasson, The UK has always required paid for tests for travel.

It was free in Germany a while back but that may now have changed. I don`t know about any other countries.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Where have I said that they have been free? What I am comparing with is that currently the PCR tests in the UK are free and you can walk into them daily if you so wish.

The facility for doing PCRs are currently set up and running. Why then have to set up a new system, when there is a current one available. A small charge would be acceptable, but these new locations, what are they going to have to do other than what the free ones dont do? You have your test, you get a result normally my e-mail.

It can then be the individuals responsiblity as it is currently to upload that result.

Ill guess, that theses PCR tests will be far more then the current LFT that we have to do. And lets be honest, the ones we got free from the NHS were exactly the same as the ones we have to pay for!!!!!!!

When we had to take a PCR test prior to arrival, the ones we took in Austria were free. there was no reason given why you needed it, after all a test is a test.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The return to UK PCR tests we had to do last May, were done at home (video consult), pre-ordered (ref number had to go on passenger locator form) , pre-paid (proof of payment was required at border control) delivered to the place of self isolation and posted back to the lab at a priority post box. Results within 24 hours.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've got a concern, I'm arriving into Heathrow from Canada on February 3rd and am driving back home to the North East, so if I'm required to self isolate on arrival, am I not supposed to be driving as I will likely need to have a toilet break on the way back!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jafa,
Quote:

So Im assuming that while currently you can walk into a test centre and get a free one, they will start charging Im assuming to one of the buffons friends somewhere?

i was assuming you were talking about the recent announcement regarding Day 2 PCR tests?

as far as i am aware the facilities for (paid) testing have been up and running for donkeys now

all the NHS LFT and PCR tests are still free
snow report
RichardB
This was a similar question Andrew Marr put to Savid Javid this morning. When you arrive at Heathrow, how are you getting to your destination? You can imagine the bluster that came back as a reply...

He also didnt have an answer when he was asked why the UK, like Holland, never started testing everyone coming off flights from SA? 10% off 600 people arriving into Schipol on two flights tested positive.
snow conditions
@RichardB, what time do you arrive back? there is a test centre at terminal 4 car park, but presently it closes at 8pm.

i looked into it, but i arrive back into Heathrow at 20:30, so would need it to stay open until about 10pm for it to work for me.

i assume the 0-2days is for people to get home, and to be tested and then isolate until negative test result.
ski holidays
@RichardB, When we arrived back in May it was legal to drive back to where you were isolating, we did need to make a comfort stop and that was permitted as far as I could ascertain. It was even legal to return home by public transport.
latest report
11am but you can't really book a time slot and I'm arriving at terminal 2, a lot to consider but it can all change in that length of time.
snow report
@CaravanSkier, thanks.

Not the way I wanted to get over the 1000 posts mark on Snowheads!
snow report
@terrygasson, until recently someone travelling to France and requiring a test after arrival could get free tests, now they are charging. French citizens/residents still can I think.
snow conditions
RichardB wrote:

over the 1000 posts mark on Snowheads!

snowHead Congratulations Smile
latest report
@jafa, Show how confusing / confused it all is. I thought you could only walk into a free PCR test if you'd been 'pinged'' or officially advised to get a test. ( e.g. a self administered LFT came up +ive)

We too are hoping its the "anytime within 2 days of arriving home" rule, rather than 2nd day - there are a number of sites in and around us that will either deliver the kit to you to send off, or you attend a clinic ( which seems a little odd if you are self-isolating...), or do it at home and drop off at their site. And all say they are delivering the results by email within 24 hours of sample getting to their labs.

AFAIK, PCR over LFT so they can sequence it, and discover "Omicron or other?" should you turn positive.
ski holidays
https://provide-journey-contact-details.homeoffice.gov.uk/passengerLocatorFormUserAccountHolderQuestion

Quote:

From 04:00 Tuesday 30 November 2021 testing and isolation requirements will change for all arrivals into the UK.

If you are arriving into the UK after 04:00 Tuesday 30 November 2021 then please return to complete your Passenger Locator Form after 04:00 Monday 29 November as the system is currently being updated.

If you are arriving into the UK before 04:00 Tuesday 30 November 2021 please continue to complete your Passenger Locator Form now.

After 04:00 Tuesday 30 November 2021 lateral flow tests will no longer be accepted and all travellers arriving into UK will be required to book and take COVID-19 PCR tests.”

This will hopefully provide some leeway for anyone who needs to return to the UK.

Remember that you will need to self isolate from the time you arrive in the UK until you receive your test result. You may only leave home to take your test and to buy food if no-one else can buy it for you.
snow report
So if I’m understanding this we can order the PCR test kits to arrive at home on 20 December, drive off to the Alps on 24th, arrive back on 1st via Eurotunnel. Drive to North Yorkshire and post off the completed test on 2nd, result on 3rd? Happy days….what a load of nonsense though.

Any recommendations who people are using? May as well spend a few more £’s on a trip that will no doubt be scupperred at the last minute by late rule changes in 3 weeks time…
snow report
Presently on holiday in Sri Lanka, triple vaccinated but had to pay £140 for fit to fly PCR test before we left, we will have to pay £80 in Sri Lanka for tests before we fly back and now another £100? for day 2 on arrival back into England before we drive back to Wales.
Things were too quiet for the news so they had to find a new variant to get everyone panicking again & they must have shares in these PCR testing companies Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:

So if I’m understanding this we can order the PCR test kits to arrive at home on 20 December, drive off to the Alps on 24th, arrive back on 1st via Eurotunnel. Drive to North Yorkshire and post off the completed test on 2nd, result on 3rd? Happy days….what a load of nonsense though.

I'd build in a bit more time than that, mentally at least. Ours went into the postbox on a Fri evening (after last post), results received 23.00 Monday.
latest report
Official guidance still, ridiculously, hasn’t been updated. If they keep the “up to” 2 day rule though it seems as if I can get a test at Heathrow as soon as I arrive with a 3 hour turnaround and pretty much be clear by the time I get to the hotel I’ll be staying at. Certainly it doesn’t look to be “wait two days then have a test”, right?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Rhoobarb, got a link to the Heathrow testing facility? Cheers
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:

Any recommendations who people are using? May as well spend a few more £’s on a trip that will no doubt be scupperred at the last minute by late rule changes in 3 weeks time…

I and various members of my family have successfully used these people https://www.testingforall.org/product/day-2-pcr-test/

Of the 15 PCR tests we have had done between us only one did not return a result within 24 hours, and that was because for some reason it was delayed getting to the lab in the post. The other ones posted at the same time all made it.
snow conditions
Rhoobarb wrote:
Official guidance still, ridiculously, hasn’t been updated. If they keep the “up to” 2 day rule though it seems as if I can get a test at Heathrow as soon as I arrive with a 3 hour turnaround and pretty much be clear by the time I get to the hotel I’ll be staying at. Certainly it doesn’t look to be “wait two days then have a test”, right?

This is correct. I've used the Heathrow 3 hour test place (Collinson) and it was really good. We'll probably use them again for the day 2 PCR when we drive back.
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:

https://www.collinsongroup.com/en/covid-19-testing
ski holidays
HilbertSpace wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:

https://www.collinsongroup.com/en/covid-19-testing

Looks great & simple option. Thanks
snow report
The whole thing is another nonsense. What about people who have just had covid in the last 90 days, on top of their double/triple vax, who are explicitly told not to take a PCR within 90 days because of the risk of a false positive from the test picking up the old dormant cells. Puzzled

If the rules allow people to test immediately on landing it won't pick up anything they might have contracted in the last day or two anyway, so is largely futile, and let's be honest omni is already in the UK and is probably in all major connected transport hubs already. People have been coming and going from Southern Africa for weeks.
ski holidays
HilbertSpace wrote:
This is correct. I've used the Heathrow 3 hour test place (Collinson) and it was really good. We'll probably use them again for the day 2 PCR when we drive back.

I've used it too for departures.

However from what I see the rapid 3 hour test is a pre-departure test, not a day 2 arrival test. (only the specified arrival tests will give you a generated code for the Passenger Locator form).
snow report
@Gazzza, their website hadn’t been updated as to latest Gov rules & tests needed. Think all private companies were caught by todays announcement but knowing the ££££ they are making from all this they will be changed tomorrow no doubt. We don’t arrive back until tomorrow week anyway. Time for another change in stance by then rolling eyes
snow report
If anyone finds a rapid/same day result PCR for Arrivals (day 2) please share here, one needed for a T5 arrival this Friday am.

All the rapid PCR tests I can see relate to pre-departure. From what I read the day 2 PCR's also include genetic sequencing (for variant identification) which I don't think the rapid PCR fit to fly outbound tests need, hence the outbound can be done on site quicker, rather than shipping off to the lab - delighted to be told otherwise though.
ski holidays
I’d like to know where I can get a rapid arrival PCR test too.

I’m planning to head back to England for Christmas, but I can’t get there until 23rd. I’d like a rapid test so I can book my booster vaccination and see some mates before Christmas. I’m hoping to return back here on 28th, so there’s not much chance of getting much done after Boxing Day given there’s 2 bank holidays.
latest report
got this link from BA
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/incident/coronavirus/covid19-tests

ironically, only got the 2 day test from breath assured on Friday. Will keep it, as no time limit and it may well be useful next year.

Suppose will either have to order a PCR test to arrive by Friday ( as need reference No. for plf, so must have this before travel) or book at T3. Am driving down, so no real problem with the extra time and missing other transport.
snow conditions
Quote:
If anyone finds a rapid/same day result PCR for Arrivals (day 2) please share here, one needed for a T5 arrival this Friday am.

This lot offer arrival PCR tests at LHR, as well as loads of other locations:
https://www.expresstest.co.uk/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy