Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK to Alps 9-seat minibus hire.

Poster: A snowHead
Could be useful for a January trip (if we can....) for 7 of us to go cycling in the Alps! Might work out cheaper than 2 cars.... @yellowAndBlue, you have mail Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tomj, thanks. That's sorted that one!

I think it really should go up to 11, but I'm not sure the people at VW and Mercedes would quite understand British mid-eighties mocumentary and might be puzzled by such a request. I could be wrong though. The vans could also do with some leopard skins throughout of course - very metal, very heavy and very Bad News!

They are great vans and, of course, perfect for touring. The company started when the owner bought a van for his own band and found that other bands wanted to rent it. It's grown from there, that was 15 years ago. We think the vans are perfect for skiers because of the space available for large groups to take all their kit with them. We've also got 12 x luxury sleeper coaches available (the sort with bunks and lounges, 12 and 16 berth). They're a whole different ball game but, again, could be perfect for certain groups of skiers.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I saw this pop up on Twitter last week and was idly considering suggesting one of the sleepers as an alternative LardyBus for the EOSB Very Happy

https://www.vansforbands.co.uk/sleepers

Edit - I see load bay depth is listed at 210 so skis will easily fit if you can get them lying down in the lower section of the load bay
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
YellowAndBlue wrote:
That's a good point. I believe the gross weight is 3500kg - so at full capacity you do need to consider the weight of occupants and their luggage. Below is the wording used on website. This is all very useful, helping to check if all things have been considered.

Driveable on a normal driving licence, each 9-seat luxury splitter van has a permissible gross weight of 3.5 tons - it is the hirer's responsibility to observe this.

I think you also need to be over 21 and have held the licence for 2 years ? (in the UK, other countries may be different again)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@YellowAndBlue, I've bookmarked you. Hopefully our Geneva flights will work out in January, but a van is a good contingency to have in mind, and yours look pretty nice. (And for next season we might think about it as a first-choice option; flying is a faff.)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@gilo, the Bristol site is no more. We've removed the map but need to remove the written reference to the Bristol site. Apologies for any inconvenience caused. We've based the costings on collection from Oxford, but do have the option of delivering the vehicle to you (essentially at cost). Out of interest, what crossing would you be looking at?

One thing worth mentioning, the price calculations that we've provided are based on a 10-day hire. I did this because I thought it would work well for people on a standard Saturday to Saturday holiday, and give plenty of time either side to get there and back. However, people are asking for 7 day hires and we are quoting for them.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PaulO78, sounds good, let us know if we can help. It's difficult to tell what will happen this year. We had an enquiry yesterday from a lady who was looking for alternative transport for 11th to 18th December as her flights had just been cancelled.

Yes, we think the vans would make a good alternative to flying, even without problems and cancellations associated with Covid. But hopefully your flights will just work out this year.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ciderinsport, interesting. I saw your enquiry come through. I had presumed road bikes and thought a bit odd in January. But I can see how those bikes would be interesting in the snow. What sort of terrain are you after? Cross country tracks? I suppose the tyres have already got plenty of tread?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@nbt, yes, that's right - the depth is 210 on the LWB vans, which are the 'luxury' vans. The 'standard' vans are medium wheelbase and the depth is 148, and that won't be sufficient. However, both types have got the height at 190 so I'm sure we can get it to work. We're going to have a good look at them and make sure.

The sleeper coaches are a quite different proposition, but could be good for certain groups.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don’t post ever but we Used Van for Bands a couple of years ago to travel with family (lot of us) to French Alps and was absolutely brilliant. The kids loved it with the entertainment in the back was a huge hit and very luxurious. In fact would go as far as saying best trip we have ever done and if down to the kids would use it for every holiday. Would highly recommend if you want to travel in comfort and settled kids. Loads of luggage space for 8 sets of skis and boots plus luggage. Will definitely use again.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@LesAnglais, thanks for your positive input. We've had a number of enquires for the vans this year as transportation to ski resorts. We think probably due to Covid and the possibility of airline cancellations. As such, we've decided to try and make them more widely available.

Out of interest, we've had a number of enquiries from Northern England and also from Scotland. We can offer free parking at our site just north of Oxford. As such, a large group could meet at our secure site, leave their cars there, and then progress in one of our vans (it also means that you do not pay for the van to be delivered to you home address, keeping the costs down to a minimum). We're just off the M40, very easy to get to. As well as Eurotunnel and ferry crossings to Calais, we've looked into overnight crossings from Portsmouth to St Malo and Caen. These look interesting with cabins that can be booked so that you can get a good night's sleep on your way to France. This is all new to us, we're working it out as we go along. Would be interesting to hear if anyone has any thoughts about the overnight crossings to St Malo and Caen.

Once again, we appreciate the fact that this post has been allowed to remain on the SnowHeads forum. Any questions, please contact Vans for Bands and let us know how we can help. Thank you.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@YellowAndBlue, ah,ok thanks. We normally look at overnight ferry from Portsmouth.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@gilo, that's interesting. The overnight ferries form Portsmouth look a good option. Have you had positive experiences?

I've sent Brittany Ferries an email to see if we can get some sort of discount code. Not sure they'll be interested, but worth a try. With a vehicle such as a minibus or van, it seems ferry companies just whack the price up. I'm never sure if it's a justified (pro-rata/vehicle size) price increase or because it's just what they do. If it's the later, I'm hoping we can get a sensible discount code.

With our vans, groups could meet at out site just north of Oxford, leave their cars there, and then continue in one of our vans down the A34 to Portsmouth and take an overnight ferry from there. Seems a fair plan to me. Our site really is less than 5 minutes off the A34, very easy to get to.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks great, but one word of caution. DVSA are cracking down on 3.5t vehicles being overloaded. With a full load of people, ski luggage and supplies, watch out for the weight.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Frosty the Snowman, thanks. I see what you mean - and I appreciate that you have raised this point/issue. It is the hirer's responsibility to ensure that the vehicle remains within permissible gross weight limits. However, we're fairly sure that there should be enough weight allowance available (in most circumstances) for 9 x passengers and their kit. Of course, that all depends on how heavy the passengers are and the amount of luggage they are taking with them. But like you say, it needs consideration.

I will double-check the loaded and unloaded weight of the vehicles, and people can make their own calculations (as they do need to if they wish to satisfy themselves that they are driving in accordance with the law). Again, it is the hirer's responsibility to ensure that the vehicle remains within permissible gross weight limits

It is a good point though, I will double-check.
latest report
@YellowAndBlue, always worked well from the south west, sleep on ferry and then drive in one go. Le harve always seemed to work best.

Can see that meeting at Oxford not impossible…… Eh oh!
ski holidays
@gilo, thanks. That's good to know. I can see how sleeping on the ferry and then getting going once in France (early the next morning) makes a lot of sense.

I've just found the Newhaven Dieppe route (DFDS). As an example, I've entered 8 x passengers with a van and I've got a price of £370 return including 2 x 4 berth cabins on the way over, for Friday 10th December (2300hrs) to Saturday 18th December (1800hrs). The crossing is about 5 hours, but at 2300hrs departure, with 5 hours' sleep, it sounds almost ideal. Prices seem similar for January. I'll have to look into it a fair bit more, and other crossings too.

Yes, Oxford not ideal for the South-West - shame the M4 doesn't go that bit further north. We can deliver the vans but there are charges. We try and do it at cost, but it does start to add up as we have to both deliver and collect the vehicle.
snow report
@Frosty the Snowman, it seems your words of caution are particularly wise. We have standard vans (MWB) available with a kerb weight of 2400kg and luxury vans (LWB) with a kerb weight from 2600kg, but some higher. So, yes, weight will be a consideration when the vans are loaded to full capacity.

I suppose when these vans are normally rented out (to bands on a 3-month tour), it's normally 4 to 6 passengers van, with lots of space to stretch out and a large hold for their kit. With ski usage, I suppose it could quite easily be 8 or 9 people plus luggage and skis and that will require careful calculation. I think the vans might now more suit groups of 6 to 8, maybe 2 x families with kids, or mixed groups of 6 to 8. Not sure it's one for the local rugby team.

We can provide exact details at time of bookings. Thanks for your feedback. Like all of the feedback we've received on this forum it has been very helpful.
latest report
We've created a pricing grid for the vans. I was going to upload the image, but can't work out how to do so. As such, an indication of prices is given below. These rates include winter tyres, chains, insurance and European VW/Mercedes 24hr breakdown cover.

Luxury 9-seat van (all dates) - 8 x days £1548, 10 x days £1860, 12 x days £2172.
Standard 9-seat van (all dates) - 8 x days £1308, 10 x days £1560, 12 x days £1812.

Luxury 9-seat van (January) - 8 x days £1356, 10 x days £1620, 12 x days £1884.
Standard 9-seat van (January) - 8 x days £1164, 10 x days £1380, 12 x days £1596.

Obviously, France closing its border has had a dramatic effect - but the vans could be good for if/when restrictions suddenly change and people want to make a dash for the snow (early January, hopefully). With constant changes to travel restrictions, our vans provide flexibility and allow you to take control of your travel itinerary.

We appreciate that we have been allowed to publish these rates on this forum, hopefully it may be a useful alternative for some. It's taken bit of time working out the different rates for winter holiday usage, quite different to the usual 1 to 3 month rentals for bands going out on tour. If you're looking for a 9-seat minibus to travel to the Alps, with chains and winter tyres and insurance all included, please contact Vans for Bands. Website link again shown below. Thank you.

https://www.vansforbands.co.uk/winter-holidays
snow report
In the post above I should've mentioned that we also have 6 and 7 day rates available, now shown below.

Luxury 9-seat van (all dates) - 6 x days £1236, 7 x days £1392.
Standard 9-seat van (all dates) - 6 x days £1056, 7 x days £1182.

Luxury 9-seat van (January) - 6 x days £1092, 7 x days £1224.
Standard 9-seat van (January) - 6 x days £948, 7 x days £1056.

If circumstances allow, these rates could be good for those planning a last-minute dash to the Alps - and should allow for a good 4 or 5 days on the slopes. One other thing to mention, all rates include unlimited mileage.

We're going to get the vans fully serviced and ready for use in early January, and they'll be available as soon as circumstances permit. Contact us if you'd like to put a provisional plan in place for travel to the Alps in January and February 2022. We feel our vans could provide a flexible travel alternative to air travel, and the opportunity to take control of your own travel itinerary. Thank you again.
snow report
@YellowAndBlue, I think this is quite interesting - what is the pricing like for 3, 4, 7 and 8 days. I agree with the other comments on the price as I always manage to fly and hire (for 5) for under a £1,000 and that includes a 9 seater van most years.
snow report
@Snowsartre, thanks for your comment. I've added rates for 6, 7, 8, 10 and 12 days lower down the thread. I might edit the original post with the rates added in full. I think 6 x days is the minimum that we can offer (to do with costs of arranging each individual rental).

I don't think we're ever going to be able to out-compete other travel options in terms of price, but for larger groups and at peak times we think the vans could offer fair value. And with Covid, we think the vans offer flexibility and privacy that you just won't be able to get from air travel. This is new to us, we're trying to make the vans more widely available as we received some unexpected interest from skiers during the Autumn. Again, grateful that this post has been allowed to remain on this forum. We genuinely believe that we can offer keen skiers an alternative that is not widely available.
latest report
If/when things start getting back to normal, we're keen to try and offer something a bit different with the vans that we have available. The two ideas I keep coming back to are...

1) Using the vans for holidays where the resort is chosen at the last-minute when you know for sure where the best snow conditions (and perhaps sunny weather) can be found.

2) Using the vans for driving to different ski areas each day, taking advantage of lift-pass sharing arrangements or just buying day tickets at each ski area, throwing the skis (or boards) in the back at the end of the day. Parking up in the car park, near the lift, the van makes a good base to leave kit and return to for drinks breaks and packed lunches. With the flexibility the vans offer, perhaps staying in cheaper resorts or even valley towns to keep costs down.

Or maybe a mixture of both. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, it would be good to hear what you think (market research, I suppose). Quick 5 or 6 day trips, that give 4 or 5 days of really good skiing. The vans that we have available are quite unique and could be more than just a means of transport to the Alps. Although I think it could be a bit too 'niche'.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy