Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

transit in geneva

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Jonny996 wrote:
From the StG Facebook page:
Just seen these two comments on the Cham FB page

“I spoke to the UK Embassy in Berne who confirmed that it was clarified this morning that anyone staying/passing through Switzerland for less than 24hrs is exempt from quarantining and providing a negative test on arrival. She directed me to the relevant wording on the Swiss government website confirming this. UK government needs to reflect this on the Gov website.”

So is everyone panicking and changing/cancelling a bit to quick?

BA cancelled my Geneva flight for Saturday coming.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
loatie wrote:
@hayleyb2505, I have just rung EJ Customer services again...... She confirmed that the 3 options were open to us against our booking reference of refund, voucher, or book a different flight. According to her this was as a direct result of Swiss restrictions over last couple of days and is open to all customers booked to Geneva - I don't know when your flight was booked for but I think the first person I spoke to said the options were open for flights booked up to February so maybe you are booked after this. Our booking relates to travel in mid December. Maybe I got a good angel again...... Puzzled


Mine are for Sat 11th Dec this year Sad I am going to try again tomorrow and pray for a nice angel, will update when I have spoken with them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ianvip wrote:
Dannyh101 wrote:
Meant to be going to Val Thorens on Sunday and have flights to/from Geneva booked, with this new Swiss quarantine rule would it be allowed to fly direct to France, from the UK, Ski for 5 days and then fly back from Geneva?


Remember unless booked as 2x singles, if you do not take the flight out the return is auto cancelled and you are classed as a no show.


i'm not sure that this is correct? Perhaps for a package holiday, but not for a schedule flight...you are after all paying for x2 tickets.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dravot, it’s definitely correct if you book a return (or multi sector ticket) and miss the first leg then the rest is cancelled and you can’t use them. Budget carriers introduced the idea of point to point so if you’ve booked with eg EZY or Ryanair then it’s likely two singles not a return, but with BA, Lufthansa, Swiss theres a good chance it’s a return. I used to organise a lot of large group business travel so I’ve discussed this with travel agents (and frustrated travellers) plenty times.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Inboard wrote:
@Dravot, it’s definitely correct if you book a return (or multi sector ticket) and miss the first leg then the rest is cancelled and you can’t use them. Budget carriers introduced the idea of point to point so if you’ve booked with eg EZY or Ryanair then it’s likely two singles not a return, but with BA, Lufthansa, Swiss theres a good chance it’s a return. I used to organise a lot of large group business travel so I’ve discussed this with travel agents (and frustrated travellers) plenty times.


ah, yes, then you are correct with that type type of ticket, my bad. I can't remember I booked a "classic" return versus x2 singles
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:
From the StG Facebook page:
Just seen these two comments on the Cham FB page

“I spoke to the UK Embassy in Berne who confirmed that it was clarified this morning that anyone staying/passing through Switzerland for less than 24hrs is exempt from quarantining and providing a negative test on arrival. She directed me to the relevant wording on the Swiss government website confirming this. UK government needs to reflect this on the Gov website.”

So is everyone panicking and changing/cancelling a bit to quick?

BA cancelled my Geneva flight for Saturday coming.


Our BA flights into Geneva for Sunday have been cancelled too. Hoping we get rebooked into France!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dravot wrote:
ianvip wrote:
Dannyh101 wrote:
Meant to be going to Val Thorens on Sunday and have flights to/from Geneva booked, with this new Swiss quarantine rule would it be allowed to fly direct to France, from the UK, Ski for 5 days and then fly back from Geneva?


Remember unless booked as 2x singles, if you do not take the flight out the return is auto cancelled and you are classed as a no show.


i'm not sure that this is correct? Perhaps for a package holiday, but not for a schedule flight...you are after all paying for x2 tickets.


which airline is it? might make a big difference.

If you booked the 2 flights as 1 package then, as above, failure to get the outbound will mean the return will be automatically cancelled. However, if it is cancelled by the airline, then you might be ok on the return, unless of course they cancel that in the next few days.

You could try to cancel the outbound, but they might not let you do that. Depends on which airline. Some are more helpful than others.

If you booked them both as single trips, then not a problem. Just cancel the outbound.


However, I would double check that you will be allowed into Switzerland to fly back.

They are allowing this at the moment, but the way I read it, it was for Brits already there, who have flights already booked in the next few days. It might not apply after next week, or if you are currently in the UK
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gadge wrote:
Our BA flights into Geneva for Sunday have been cancelled too. Hoping we get rebooked into France!


All flights to Geneva are likely to be cancelled, at least up to the date the Swiss have given to review the situation. Anybody hoping otherwise will be disappointed.

Chances of being rebooked onto a convenient flight in France is remote, as BA don't fly to many of the regional airports. Best bet would be Lyon, but only 1 per day, and not many spare slots.

The price for next Saturday to Lyon went from £60 to £540 in 2 hours. Expect the same for the forseable future.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is the panic over?
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/switzerland
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@On the rocks,If you intend staying in CH you still have to quarantine at the moment despite been vaccinated but they are letting you enter as long as you bug-off across a border with 24 hours with no stops Probably for transiters but no , panic not quite over all round.


Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 30-11-21 12:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes but this is the Transit Thread Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On the rocks wrote:
Is the panic over?
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/switzerland
For those landing in GVA and travelling directly to France, it looks like it is 'panic over', subject to being fully vaccinated and complying with the various documentation required by Switzerland and France.

Shame that the airlines seemed to have jumped the gun, cancelling some of their flights.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rob@rar,

They will probably reinstate the flights. Easyjet needs to reduce the losses they have announced.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
welshflyer wrote:
@rob@rar,

They will probably reinstate the flights. Easyjet needs to reduce the losses they have announced.
Hope so, although massively frustrating for those who have already made alternative arrangements, including to other airlines, to other forms of transport or even cancelling trips altogether. I know a handful of people who have done just that in the last 24 hours.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@welshflyer, easyjet still haven’t cancelled my upcoming flights - have they been cancelling others?
snow conditions
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just checked my PSB flights and could transfer back from Lyon to Geneva for £0!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rjj501 wrote:
@welshflyer, easyjet still haven’t cancelled my upcoming flights - have they been cancelling others?


I've only heard of BA cancelling flights.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Puts the mind at ease a bit, although we don't fly until 14th January, so plenty of times for things to go belly up again yet!

Presumably the onward transit type doesn't matter, as long as we're out within the day? Our current plan is train to Moutiers, which involves going via central Geneva, and that won't be an issue?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@swskier, no transit type won't matter - as long a you're out with 24 hours and don't stop over you should be fine.

we're in a similar situation, going in mid-Jan. No doubt lots of ups and downs still to come!!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Transit now not an issue
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mate just got airborne heading for GVA, no snags, as he's on his way to France. There was so few folks aboard they all had to change seats to balance the aircraft.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So heading out of Geneva is ok, but what about driving back in to fly back to the UK at the end of the holiday?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Coco wrote:
So heading out of Geneva is ok, but what about driving back in to fly back to the UK at the end of the holiday?


Straight from autoroute and in to departures - got to be transit too shirley? PCR within 2 days on arrival in UK.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Coco, they’re fine too. Auvergne Rhône Alpes is classed as having a strong cultural or social tie to Switzerland so they exclude it from any border measures.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@halfhand, reminds me… need to get a new Vignette!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjj501 wrote:
@welshflyer, easyjet still haven’t cancelled my upcoming flights - have they been cancelling others?


We've just had our Edinburgh/Geneva flights cancelled by Easyjet Sad . We were booked to fly out on 12th Dec for 3 nights Sad

I wonder if they could yet be reinstated following the latest CH announcement regarding passengers heading straight for France Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My easyJet Edinburgh to Geneva on 13th has been cancelled as well, looking at easyJet site it looks like they have cancelled all Edinburgh to Geneva flights up to the 16th.
Considering you need to isolate for 2 days on return & I don’t want to be doing that over Christmas, I can’t see my trip happening unless they reinstate it
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mine cancelled as well London Luton to Geneva on 14th. No huge drama as just means family will drive down with me on 11th. Pain though. No flights available to re book till Sat 18th.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From UK gov pages:


Summary
Still current at:
1 December 2021
Updated:
30 November 2021
Latest update:
Update clarifies that those travelling onward to another country need not to quarantine, as long as travel through Switzerland is less than 24 hours and does not involve a stopover. (‘Entry requirements’ page)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not sure which of the 27 different threads to ask this on, so I'll try this one!

Has anyone seen info on the reverse situation, i.e. whether we're allowed to enter Switzerland overland, to go to GVA and fly back to the UK, with <10 days out of the UK? I can see why this is also transit, but it's a slightly different scenario to the "land in GVA, immediately leave country" option.
snow conditions
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
snowdave wrote:
Not sure which of the 27 different threads to ask this on, so I'll try this one!

Has anyone seen info on the reverse situation, i.e. whether we're allowed to enter Switzerland overland, to go to GVA and fly back to the UK, with <10 days out of the UK? I can see why this is also transit, but it's a slightly different scenario to the "land in GVA, immediately leave country" option.


As long as transit is less than 24hr with no stop-overs I'd assume its covered by the same rules as you're effectively transiting through switzerland to get to another country.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What is a 'stopover'?

If you're allowed to spend 24 hours in Switzerland, you've definitely spent a night in the country but apparently it's not a 'stopover' because it's permitted. So are you allowed to spend that night in a hotel? If, for instance you arrive at 11pm, and your transfer is the following lunchtime.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowdave wrote:
Not sure which of the 27 different threads to ask this on, so I'll try this one!

Has anyone seen info on the reverse situation, i.e. whether we're allowed to enter Switzerland overland, to go to GVA and fly back to the UK, with <10 days out of the UK? I can see why this is also transit, but it's a slightly different scenario to the "land in GVA, immediately leave country" option.


@timlongs came back yesterday without any problems

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=157276
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
James the Last wrote:
What is a 'stopover'?

If you're allowed to spend 24 hours in Switzerland, you've definitely spent a night in the country but apparently it's not a 'stopover' because it's permitted. So are you allowed to spend that night in a hotel? If, for instance you arrive at 11pm, and your transfer is the following lunchtime.


I have no authoirity on this, but my take is that you can't stop/go anywhere in between arrival location and destination -a night in hotel before your transfer would constitute a stop over.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’m sure I also read that you can’t stop in a shop but cant find it now. If true I imagine restaurants and bars are out too (landside ones anyway) Which all makes sense.

So its arrive at airport and get landside then directly into your form of transport and leave the country?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just heard from my travel agent that a PCR test is required for everyone in transit from Geneva to France.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@skilegs you can do a Fit to fly (rapid antigen) also 48 hours prior to Arrival. The PCR is 72 hours prior
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skilegs wrote:
Just heard from my travel agent that a PCR test is required for everyone in transit from Geneva to France.


I think they’re wrong. It’s PCR or antigen.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Saw this posted on Facebook this morning:-
"For anybody flying Manchester to Geneva.
I’m here now.
You need Covid travel pass
Proof of onward travel out of Geneva. Transfer reference or similar.
Negative Covid test by gov approved company.
Proof of accommodation at end destination.
They check this before being allowed to fly.
You can get an antigen test at the airport station. Results in 30 mins."
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjj501 wrote:
@welshflyer, easyjet still haven’t cancelled my upcoming flights - have they been cancelling others?


This tread:-
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=157281
snow conditions



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy