Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

transit in geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Ive been hit by the BA cancellations into Geneva yesterday on the 10th December (second time my flight has cancelled). The only available flight out to Geneva from Heathrow was landing at 5.45pm. Now I'm in a predicament over the transfer. Will have to cancel the one on the 10th with Altibus. For a transfer on the 9th Dec after 5.45pm from Geneva to Val D- its proving impossible to get one. Have tried the usual - Altibus, Snowdrone, Ski Lifts, Bens Buses and none available.

What would you guys do? Im guessing my options are- see if anyone else is needing a transfer on Thursday 9th Dec after 5.45pm to Val - or hire a car for a few hours to make the journey- but then do they do drop offs in Val?
Appreciate any sh help Very Happy Cool
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ster wrote:
I’m sure I also read that you can’t stop in a shop but cant find it now. If true I imagine restaurants and bars are out too (landside ones anyway) Which all makes sense.

So its arrive at airport and get landside then directly into your form of transport and leave the country?

Ah found it, it was on the Swiss UK embassy page - https://www.dfae.admin.ch/countries/united-kingdom/en/home/representations/embassy-in-london/coronavirus.html

“For those flying to a Swiss airport and then travelling onward to another country (e.g. by car), quarantine requirements do not apply – provided that travellers do not make a stop in Switzerland, for instance to visit a shop or restaurant.”

Most importantly, does that affect the SH meet up in the Geneva airport Montreux Jazz Cafe?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Actually that’s a good point re cafés! Not that I think it’d be an issue but my mate’s lad arrives about an hour before us. Best tell him to skulk in the baggage reclaim area.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AbiWood2, Welcome to SnowHeads..

No direct advice, but a similar question has been asked in this thread

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=157278

Train ?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@andy from embsay, yes, I guess arrange to meet airside and they can’t move you on.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
albob wrote:
@AbiWood2, Welcome to SnowHeads..

No direct advice, but a similar question has been asked in this thread

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=157278

Train ?

Thanks- I'll check it out
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@AbiWood2,
Try asking on 'Val D'Isere Seasonnaires with The Echo' Facebook group, or similar.
Also try Steve Angus via the 'View from Val D'Isere' thread on the Snow reports forum on snowheads.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A stopover is usually defined in airline terms as a stay of over 24 hours. Anything shorter is usually a layover.

Given you're allowed to transit, and you're allowed to spend 24 hours in the process of it, then you've got to be allowed to eat and drink.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@James the Last, but the Swiss govt isnt an airline. You arrive, you clear off, no stops. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dannyh101,
Sleazyjet used not to cancel the 2nd leg if you didn't take the 1st. "Full Service" carriers such as BA, Swiss, Air France, KLM, etc will cancel subsequent sectors. I suggest a call to your airline to check!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just to summarise this as of this point in time, if transiting GVA to France. I think correct:

- no need for a test to get to GVA if transiting though may be an airline requirement to have one so probably prudent
- Need to fill in the swiss arrival form
- Need a french health pass for ski resort (NHS Vacc cert can be used to create one online)
- French arrival form required?
- *edit* - swiss arrival form for return
- return to UK - no test required at the moment, but need arrival form to get boarding pass
-UK Day 2 test required, quarantine until negative

This is just for an adult as far as i can make out that is double vacc'd. I know some required or not for under 12 i think! I am also reading could change to under 11 for some stuff in France but not really clear if this is needed yet. This is all an absolute minefield, post 15th Jan with the requirement for a booster in France it gets even more complicated... I've not been able to have my booster within requirement as I very recently had covid so also some uncertainty on PCR test results and then earliest booster date is very close to the french requirements.

This is all making me think not worth the hassle, the risk of getting it wrong and at worst being stranded in quarantine somewhere doesn't seem worth it. I have to co-ordinate this for another adult and and 2 children fortunately under 12.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
therock wrote:
Just to summarise this as of this point in time, if transiting GVA to France. I think correct:

- no need for a test to get to GVA if transiting though may be an airline requirement to have one so probably prudent
- Need a french health pass for ski resort (NHS Vacc cert can be used to create one online)
- return to UK - no test required at the moment, but need arrival form to get boarding pass

This is just for an adult as far as i can make out that is double vacc'd. I know some required or not for under 12 i think! I am also reading could change to under 11 for some stuff in France but not really clear if this is needed yet. This is all an absolute minefield, post 15th Jan with the requirement for a booster in France it gets even more complicated... I've not been able to have my booster within requirement as I very recently had covid so also some uncertainty on PCR test results and then earliest booster date is very close to the french requirements.

This is all making me think not worth the hassle, the risk of getting it wrong and at worst being stranded in quarantine somewhere doesn't seem worth it. I have to co-ordinate this for another adult and and 2 children fortunately under 12.

I am pretty sure there is a requirement to test before you board your flight to GVA even if transiting through....

For those flying to a Swiss airport and then travelling onward to another country (e.g. by car), quarantine requirements do not apply – provided that travellers do not make a stop in Switzerland, for instance to visit a shop or restaurant. Travellers have to present a pre-departure negative test result (PCR or antigen) in order to board the flight to Switzerland. They further have to complete a passenger locator form (SwissPLF) within 48 hours before entry. Travellers should be aware that there may be entry restrictions or quarantine requirements in the country they are travelling to.

https://www.eda.admin.ch/countries/united-kingdom/en/home/representations/embassy-in-london/coronavirus.html
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@therock, you may not need a negative test to enter Switzerland but their UK embassy’s webpage says you need one to get on a plane as others can attest to

“Travellers have to present a pre-departure negative test result (PCR or antigen) in order to board the flight to Switzerland.”

https://www.eda.admin.ch/countries/united-kingdom/en/home/representations/embassy-in-london/coronavirus.html

Different webpages might having differing advice due to timing or specific audiences and at this time you’d be advised to go with the most conservative stipulations and get a test (timngs of which have been outlined previously in this and other threads) but sounds like you will get one.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would assume, airlines are going to be cautious and don't care where you are transiting too outside of the airport.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
therock wrote:

Saw this posted on Facebook Wednesday morning:-
"For anybody flying Manchester to Geneva.
I’m here now.
You need Covid travel pass
Proof of onward travel out of Geneva. Transfer reference or similar.
Negative Covid test by gov approved company.
Proof of accommodation at end destination.
They check this before being allowed to fly.
You can get an antigen test at the airport station. Results in 30 mins."
snow conditions
Confused or what

Our Uk Gov page states;

Travellers who are fully vaccinated do not need an essential reason to travel to France and do not need to self-isolate on arrival. Fully vaccinated travellers no longer need to present evidence of a negative test result before travel.

EasyJet page states;

Fully vaccinated passengers are exempt from presenting a COVID-19 test result. Passengers must present proof of vaccination - The certificate/document may be requested at different points of the trip.

Passengers must ensure they meet the requirements to be considered fully vaccinated previously described.

Important: As of December, 4 all fully vaccinated passengers arriving from any country outside the EU will be required to present a negative COVID-19 test result.

Seems to be changing all the bloody time.
latest report
Kenzie wrote:

Proof of onward travel out of Geneva. Transfer reference or similar.
Proof of accommodation at end destination.
They check this before being allowed to fly.

Wonder what proof they’re going to accept for my car being in our rented space near Geneva airport. I assume TdS will be sufficient for proof of accommodation at end destination.
ski holidays
You could walk out of Switzerland in 24 hours or more seriously need to buy train tickets after you arrive (although buying tickets might that be considered a stop which is not allowed) so not sure why they bother with the proof of travel arrangements bit.
snow report
Swiss entry rules have been updated today - no quarantine any more for vaccinated. Their decision last weekend must have cost Geneva a lot of money in cancelled flights, hotels and car hire.
https://travelcheck.admin.ch/home
snow report
JDL65 wrote:
Swiss entry rules have been updated today - no quarantine any more for vaccinated. Their decision last weekend must have cost Geneva a lot of money in cancelled flights, hotels and car hire.
https://travelcheck.admin.ch/home

That was last updated on 30/11 - doesn’t reflect the latest changes which require a PCR test within 72 hrs.
ski holidays
I can't believe they haven't updated the Travel Checker if they expect today's changes to be implemented tomorrow. What complete poo-poo-show!?!
snow conditions
Went from Gatwick through GVA to Meribel today and went smoothly. I would recommend having printout copies of everything as at Gatwick they had separate queues for on phone and hard copy and paper won. They checked for ALL documents at baggage check in. At Geneva immigration even asked for FR attestation form, reason for travel and proof that you were actually going onwards to France.

One person was refused boarding the aircraft as wouldn't wear a mask claiming an exemption but they wouldn't allow boarding without a doctors letter. You can't make it up...
latest report
@skimottaret, which airline was that?
snow report
EJ
snow conditions
Thanks, just wondering if the different airlines are taking different approaches.

Good info on the paper docs.

Will update on our experience from Heathrow, through GVA on Sunday. Fingers crossed.
ski holidays
Quote:

One person was refused boarding the aircraft as wouldn't wear a mask

Good.
latest report
Travelcheck updated. https://travelcheck.admin.ch/check
snow report
Quote:

According to this, if you live in Auvergne/Rhône-Alpes you are exempt from the PCR requirement. Bet easyJet don’t see it that way…
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think that doesn’t matter if you were in the U.K. within 10 days
snow report
rjj501 wrote:
Quote:

According to this, if you live in Auvergne/Rhône-Alpes you are exempt from the PCR requirement. Bet easyJet don’t see it that way…

That’s not residence, it’s origin. Arriving from UK to go home to Rhone Alps - PCR needed. Entering CH from Rhone Alps (just says “travellers”, so not residents) - no test.
ski holidays
@andy from embsay
Quote:

That’s not residence, it’s origin. Arriving from UK to go home to Rhone Alps - PCR needed. Entering CH from Rhone Alps (just says “travellers”, so not residents) - no test.

• Entering Switzerland (incl. Transit)
• Other for visa
• Entering from United Kingdom
• Fully Vaccinated
• Time Spent in UK before entering Switzerland
• I live in a border region statement applies

Click submit and it says “Exempt from tests” - I don’t know if it’s an error with TravelCheck but Origin UK but “I live in a Border Region” says no test.
ski holidays

rjj501 wrote:
@andy from embsay
Quote:

• Entering Switzerland (incl. Transit)
• Other for visa
• Entering from United Kingdom
• Fully Vaccinated
• Time Spent in UK before entering Switzerland
• I live in a border region statement applies

Click submit and it says “Exempt from tests” - I don’t know if it’s an error with TravelCheck but Origin UK but “I live in a Border Region” says no test.

Ah, interesting - that looks like inward travel for border region residents is exempt. Sadly doesn’t apply to us. But I think it will apply to coming home as you’re a “traveller” entering CH from Rhone Alps (as per q&a above).

However, I bet you’re right as per EJ - this Swiss Embassy doc doesn’t give any wiggle room!
ski holidays
I’m back in the UK Wednesday and my return flight to GVA is on Sat.

But even if this was correct (and I’m struggling to find anything to support it) I am still getting a PCR as we all know easyJet won’t have a clue about rules like this, so will deny boarding.
snow report
@rjj501, spot on. Hopefully things will be clearer by midweek when we go and the airlines have sussed the rules out. UK gov website still says antigen test ok for CH.
snow conditions
@andy from embsay, we’d best keep our fingers crossed. Hopefully the airlines do work it out ASAP as the week after next I’m back and forth a lot… this could get expensive (and impractical/impossible)
snow report
@rjj501, me too. Pretty much every other week from 3 Jan til mid- March!
snow conditions
@andy from embsay, looks like you’ve got the same idea as me for winter - I plan to cram everything in the UK into a 3/4 day period every other week then get back to the snow!
ski holidays
Following the latest changes does anyone know what the test requirements are for transit thro Geneva Airport to France?

Do we need a PCR Test within 48 hours before arriving there or
a PCR Test within 72 hours before arriving there?

OR

Will an Antigen (Lateral Flow) test be adequate and again is that within 48 or 72 hours?

Can anyone give a link to the Swiss website where the test requirement for transit is stated?
ski holidays
welshflyer wrote:
Following the latest changes does anyone know what the test requirements are for transit thro Geneva Airport to France?

OR

Will an Antigen (Lateral Flow) test be adequate and again is that within 48 or 72 hours?

Can anyone give a link to the Swiss website where the test requirement for transit is stated?

PCR test up to 72 hours before departure from UK on way out.
Lateral Flow up to 48 hours before returning to UK*
2 day PCR once back in UK.

*There is uncertainty whether a second PCR required to get back into Switzerland for flight home.
snow report

JDL65 wrote:
welshflyer wrote:

OR

PCR test up to 72 hours before departure from UK on way out.
Lateral Flow up to 48 hours before returning to UK*
2 day PCR once back in UK.

*There is uncertainty whether a second PCR required to get back into Switzerland for flight home.
My understanding of this on the French website is that for vaccinated visitors either test is needed from within 48 hrs https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy