Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Switzerland effectively out of bounds for U.K. holidaymakers.

Poster: A snowHead
This is overreaction. Every European country probably has Omricon already - are the Swiss going to stop everyone going there?

Also - 10 days quarantine even if PCR result negative?!

From Swiss Embassy

UPDATE - The UK has been added to Switzerland’s risk country list.

When boarding a plane and entering Switzerland, all persons travelling from the UK must present a negative COVID-19 test and quarantine for 10 days.

Further information will follow on
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There’s threads on this already in the Piste.
Not an over reaction- we have very low vax rates in CH compared to UK and France.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Nadenoodlee, sorry to post here. It’s most likely already in Switzerland, and probably every other country in Europe. It won’t last very long for that reason unless Switzerland wants to shut its borders totally. It’s in Germany - so does this now apply to a country Switzerland has a land border with, or do they think it only travels by air?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 This is already being covered in depth on the parallel Swiss Travel thread.

At the moment, the original source (FOPH) states the quarantine applies specifically to flight arrivals, implying that (as with the early days of Delta) it did not apply to UK arrivals overland from adjacent countries. Of course, this might just be poor coordination of messaging between the FOPH and other federal offices and it is an 'all arrivals' rule - probably we need to wait a day or two to be sure. And certainly it's bad news for anyone already fixed with a flight into CH.

But isn't this just the Swiss applying the same rule to the UK that the UK is applying to the Red List countries? One person's overreaction is another's prompt response.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@LaForet, so does the rule apply to land travellers from Germany - which also now has cases of Omricon? How many people cross that border daily compared with air passengers from the U.K.? A hundred times more? A thousand?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/germany-and-czech-republic-report-first-omicron-cases-as-variant-spreads-in-europe/ar-AARcCAt?ocid=uxbndlbing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@buchanan101, dont take it personally,Netherlands arent allowed in either.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@buchanan101 I don't know - I'm not a representative of the Swiss Federation. You'll have to ask them.

My guess is that the relationship of Switzerland with Germany, Austria and Italy is like that of the UK's in Northern Ireland with the Republic of Ireland i.e. they are border countries. And because of the practicalities of cross-border travel and trade, the Swiss are inclined to set the bar lower, so to speak, in terms of triggering the quarantine rule. So the bar is higher for the Netherlands and the UK because they don't have a shared border

Moreover, it's clear that flights are a major worry re importing infection. 600 people got on the S.Africa to Netherlands flight and all would have had a negative test before boarding. But once off the flight and rigorously tested, 61 were positive. So something is a problem somewhere: either the pre-flight testing was flawed or they got infected as a result of the process of flying. So I think that it's perfectly reasonable for the Swiss to require flight arrivals from the UK to quarantine, at least until more is known about the variant and the whole flying issue.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 27-11-21 23:45; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I’m not Eh oh! . I’m not even trying to go to Switzerland, but as a policy it’s totally incoherent and basically belongs under “must be seen to be doing something”. And The 10 days if testing negative..?!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not sure where that emoji came from. Don’t even know what it means. Hope it’s not an insult!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@buchanan101, i’m guessing you don't know we have a very significant/ contentious referendum on ending covid measures tomorrow? That may indicate why CH has moves so quickly. Timing is everything.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Nadenoodlee And on paying nurses more, I believe? In response to the haemorrhaging of nurses from the health system due to Covid pressures, as I understand it? The results will be interesting.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@LaForet, that one has about 80% backing in the polls. Should be a huge turnout. Husband is working in Zurich tomorrow and im hoping he can avoid all the likely trouble
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@buchanan101, i’m guessing you don't know we have a very significant/ contentious referendum on ending covid measures tomorrow? That may indicate why CH has moves so quickly. Timing is everything.

I had seen something about that. Seems a very dangerous thing to be holding a referendum on - public health. Good point though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@buchanan101, we dont have a choice - this is Switzerland- the people have the right to push for referendums on anything! Last year it was ‘should we let cows have horns?’ but things have moved on…. I agree it is too serious to allow a vote but we’re stuck with it
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Nadenoodlee, have they thought about holding a referendum on referendums?
snow conditions
@Mr.Egg, i’d put money on it
snow report
@LaForet, testing is flawed. The tests measure antigens for Covid which take several days after infection to develop. So the people on the flight were already infected. Sometimes people develop symptoms for Covid whilst still having negative antigen tests. This is indicative of what went wrong here in Austria, by allowing people to avoid vaccination and use tests instead (the 3-G rule).
snow conditions
@buchanan101, contagion theatre
snow conditions
I had thought the Swiss were sensible Shocked All land borders remain open, southern Germany and Italy already have the variant. Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
And there was a flight from Joburg to Zurich everyday last week and one from Cape Town to Zurich every other day.....
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
And there was a flight from Joburg to Zurich everyday last week and one from Cape Town to Zurich every other day.....

The biggest PITA about this stance is that so many people (like me) use GVA as an entry point for skiing in France.

Fingers crossed that the new variant is not as awful as some of the reporting has screamed..............
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:

So it’ll already be in Switzerland. If they haven’t found it yet, maybe they don’t look as much as some other countries. At one stage the U.K. performed about half of ALL sequences worldwide. South Africa also sequences a lot.
snow conditions
GreenDay wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

The biggest PITA about this stance is that so many people (like me) use GVA as an entry point for skiing in France.

Fingers crossed that the new variant is not as awful as some of the reporting has screamed..............

Isn’t there a French “side” to the airport or am I getting confused with Basel/Mulhouse?
ski holidays
You are able to transit through CH of your final destination is in France. This was on the CH website this morning. IIRC the CH have never restricted transiting in past lockdowns.

ski holidays
Quote:

Isn’t there a French “side” to the airport

Yes there is, but it's complicated..... masses of discussion about in in various past and present threads here.
snow report
@Ozboy, take a look at British Embassy Bern facebook post about 2hrs ago. Not good for transit but we hope its an error.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Isn’t there a French “side” to the airport

Yes there is, but it's complicated..... masses of discussion about in in various past and present threads here.

These FAQs confirm that you must pass through Swiss territory of you arrive at Geneva Airport from a flight outside of France.
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@Ozboy, take a look at British Embassy Bern facebook post about 2hrs ago. Not good for transit but we hope its an error.

Yes aware of it and we believe they may have misrepresented the rules (it’s confusing) . I trust the CH sites that clearly state transit ability to transit. We will know soon enough as skiiers should be heading off from next week as the resorts open. Snow looks great!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee wrote:

Yes but in the comments someone said they called the BAG number who told them direct transfer to France was fine. It also seems EasyJet is blocking traveller’s who won’t sign up to the Swiss quarantine! It’s total confusion and chaos!

If you can get on your flight there is no practical way the Swiss can or will try and enforce Swiss quarantine if you’re transiting to France IMO.
latest report
Airlines are also confused but perhaps some passengers have not completed the correct paperwork which could be more the case.

This is the CH travel Q&A which should be the single version of the [fast moving] truth.

https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/sem/aktuell/faq-einreiseverweigerung.html#1668147653

ski holidays
@BobinCH, oh i quite agree- friends made it back from Edinburgh without a test, others got blocked at Manchester as NO PCR. Today was a poo-poo show of the highest order.
snow report
At what point do Easyjet starting cancelling flights to Geneva from UK airports....?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy