Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss quarantine for UK travellers

Poster: A snowHead
JohnMo wrote:
colinstone wrote:
I think that the lateral flow test is not good enough for international travel. I don't think it is sensitive enough in early infection stages. A chap I know took LFTs before eurotunnel to FR quarantine and negative. Mrs tested positive on PCR at FR 48 hour test 2 days later, but not Omicron.
I wonder if a PCR day before travel would have picked it up quicker??

That is a different issue and not one many on here would be qualified to answer (I include myself in that group). As a matter of government regulation in the UK and Switzerland they are OK as pre departure tests in both directions.

Yes I agree - it's confusing enough trying to understand the regulations without mudding the waters further! Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Handy Turnip wrote:
colinstone wrote:
I think that the lateral flow test is not good enough for international travel. I don't think it is sensitive enough in early infection stages. A chap I know took LFTs before eurotunnel to FR quarantine and negative. Mrs tested positive on PCR at FR 48 hour test 2 days later, but not Omicron.
I wonder if a PCR day before travel would have picked it up quicker??

Although most people I know take the PCR a day before they would take the LFT to ensure they get the results back in time, so it might just even itself out.

Yes exactly, they have to allow a longer window for a PCR. Also a PCR can test you positive long after you are infectious - but if you allow “recovered” certificates then it’s barely worth bothering at all. I’m a big fan of the LFT although I do think the U.K. self-testing ones are a bit of a joke and amazed other countries are ok with them.
PS not complaining though!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rapid antigen tests from the commercial organisations are absolutely fine for entering Switzerland and for the 48 hour return to UK test. We used the Chronomics once when we flew out on 20th December to GVA and back on 26th Dec. Their certificates were accepted.
BUT make sure the certifictes say Rapid Antigen Test, and not just Lateral Flow.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@JDL65, I know they are. But I remain unconvinced that a LFT/Rapid Antigen etc pick the virus as early as a PCR. Just as a PCR can detect virus post infection when a LFT can't.
Perhaps a knowledgeable Snowhead knows the comparison.

For that reason we take a PCR before travel to another country. I would be highly embarrassed to test positive in another country after arriving, even more so if been in Q e.g. in France at the moment. The nation hosts, and others, would be rolling their eyeballs at the Brits again.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@colinstone, you're right that PCR tests are much better, but after getting quite a bad press, they found out recently that they are more accurate than first thought. Also if the LFT doesn't pick up the positive it's because you're less likely to be in the peak transmissable phase, which is a comfort at least.

BBC News - Covid: Lateral flow tests more accurate than first thought, study finds
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58899612

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't know if this is covered in the previous pages, but just back from Saas Fee and thought some of the things I found might be useful to others.

- Leaving the UK, the Randox click & collect PCR self administered test worked fine for my daughter and husband, despite it being technically disallowed (big saving possible there). Also, they did not have to install the shonky Randox app (which has to be sideloaded for Android) and received an email with the result.
- Making sure you download all the tests is best practice, printing out is even better if you are able
- Self-administered lateral flow is acceptable to the swiss extended stay requirement. What we did was to take some NHS tests with, self administer and submit a photo of the result with an open passport and a phone with "time.is" displaying location and time
- Make sure you have a reference number for your 2 day mandatory test - if you have not booked the right type of test you will not have one!!!! (and the UK form will say poo-poo like "That doesn't look like a reference number you must burn in hell"
- At least in Saas Fee, the lateral flow needed for re-entry is free. Just do it. Technically the UK .gov website says self administered with proof is ok, but they fail to define proof and there is an explicit "NHS Lateral Flow cannot be used". Result and certificate is sent to your phone within minutes.
- THEN MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD THE RESULT. Daughter and husband failed to do this, and hte link expires after 24 hours. Cue a squeeeeeeeky moment or two at the check in.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ham wrote:
Don't know if this is covered in the previous pages, but just back from Saas Fee and thought some of the things I found might be useful to others.

- Leaving the UK, the Randox click & collect PCR self administered test worked fine for my daughter and husband, despite it being technically disallowed (big saving possible there). Also, they did not have to install the shonky Randox app (which has to be sideloaded for Android) and received an email with the result.

What do you mean by technically disallowed?

Pretty sure a self administered LFT 24hrs before arrival is ok.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry if this is a dum question - haven't left the UK since I returned from Zermatt during the 1st wave in 2020!

How do I demo a negative lateral flow (rapid test) before boarding a plane , thinking of heading back to Zermatt.

Can I take one at home and register the result of the NHS or do I have to pay a company?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Heavyhasso, you pay. Free NHS ones are not accepted.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Heavyhasso Not a dumb question at all for someone who hasn't travelled recently. As mentioned, you get one from a commercial test company. Google search for some 'near me" should return a list or go to the NHS web page. Also worth taking a stroll around the various travel advisory source pages like gov.uk 'Foreign Travel' and the U.K. Embassy pages of your destination countries.

I also strongly recommend you remove your plain text email address from your signature. Unless you want to be scammed. There's a facility within SnowHeads to message registered members that uses only your Member Name. In that, it's up to you to decide whether to reveal your plain text email address to someone who contacts you.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ster wrote:
@Heavyhasso, you pay. Free NHS ones are not accepted.

Probably just a pedantic difference, but it's not that the NHS tests are not accepted, it's that UK policy is to not provide the certificates with full details of type of test for the NHS tests, and that's the level of proof that is required for entry.

But result is the same, travelling from the UK you have to pay a private company for pre-travel testing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@clarky999, I think the fact that the NHS ones are self-certified, i.e. you log that its negative, as opposed to the ones where you send a photo/video along with your id to the certifier who then supposedly checks it (for what all that is actually worth) also has something to do with it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LaForet wrote:
@Heavyhasso Not a dumb question at all for someone who hasn't travelled recently. As mentioned, you get one from a commercial test company. Google search for some 'near me" should return a list or go to the NHS web page. Also worth taking a stroll around the various travel advisory source pages like gov.uk 'Foreign Travel' and the U.K. Embassy pages of your destination countries.

I also strongly recommend you remove your plain text email address from your signature. Unless you want to be scammed. There's a facility within SnowHeads to message registered members that uses only your Member Name. In that, it's up to you to decide whether to reveal your plain text email address to someone who contacts you.

Very useful... on a number of levels, thank you Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My NHS tests and kits from Testing for All, £19, are both Flowflex boxes.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
colinstone wrote:
@JDL65, I know they are. But I remain unconvinced that a LFT/Rapid Antigen etc pick the virus as early as a PCR. Just as a PCR can detect virus post infection when a LFT can't.
Perhaps a knowledgeable Snowhead knows the comparison.

According to an article in New Scientist LFT picks up 40% of positivity when compared to PCR.
BUT (also as stated in the article)
As 50% of PCR positivity is actually dead virus (which is harmless and LFT will not detect) then LFT actually caches 80% of live infection.

LFT detects the proteins associated with infection by the virus, PCR looks for the genetic material of the virus itself.

False positives with LFT are very rare, false negatives somewhat more common.

Additionally worth noting that there is a body of thought that says that in the face of Omicron you should always swab throat as well as nose. Apparently the accelerated gestation of Omicron means it can have a good hold on the body and be an infection danger before it has time to reach the nasal passage.

All AIUI.
ski holidays
I have posted this elsewhere, but no harm putting it here..

PM has just announced that UK travel Pre-departure tests scrapped : Only LFT needed for entry/return
snow report
@albob, England, not UK (at present).
snow conditions
Just driven FR to CH at Basel. No interest at all unlike last year when we were flagged down and car emptied. Only stoppers were those buying vignettes.
latest report
Does anyone know if the Swiss government is due to review their rules again soon? We’re due to fly out on 15th and pay for our accommodation tomorrow, so wondered if it was worth holding off if an announcement/review is due.
ski holidays
mrs_frostee wrote:
Does anyone know if the Swiss government is due to review their rules again soon? We’re due to fly out on 15th and pay for our accommodation tomorrow, so wondered if it was worth holding off if an announcement/review is due.

No idea, but I think the general feeling currently is that restrictions, if changed, are more likely to be eased than made stricter. So on the basis that you can currently travel to Switzerland without too many issues, then I don't see any reason why you wouldn't go ahead. Just a personal view obviously..
ski holidays
I have found the answer

https://www-swissinfo-ch.translate.goog/fre/alain-berset-et-les-cantons-renoncent-à-de-nouvelles-mesures/47240330?_x_tr_sl=fr&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

(can’t get this to format properly as a link)

No change this week.
latest report
@Handy Turnip, we were thinking the same.
ski holidays
@mrs_frostee, Tiny Url is a good source to shorten long web addresses. your link below

https://tinyurl.com/2p84k8rt
snow report
Thanks @albob. I obviously didn’t have enough coffee this morning!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy