Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss quarantine for UK travellers

Poster: A snowHead
@GreenDay, only if he was returning to his home territory - if he lives full time in UK then he can’t use that route unless he stays in France as his home.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dravot, Do hope so.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dravot, Ireland is not in Schengen. You would need to be a resident of a Schengen country returning to your home country to be allowed in.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@Dravot, Ireland is not in Schengen. You would need to be a resident of a Schengen country returning to your home country to be allowed in.

For flights originating in UK. It is unclear regarding EU citizens flying to CH from elsewhere in the EU not on the Swiss stop list, which currently RoI isn't?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dravot, it is where you fly from and where you live full time that matters. Irish person flying Dublin to GVA can enter no problem.

However, say that Irish person is resident in Edinburgh and they fancy a ski trip from Edinburgh to Geneva then no they cannot enter, as they are not transiting to their (Schengen) home state.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@Dravot, it is where you fly from and where you live full time that matters. Irish person flying Dublin to GVA can enter no problem.

However, say that Irish person is resident in Edinburgh and they fancy a ski trip from Edinburgh to Geneva then no they cannot enter, as they are not transiting to their (Schengen) home state.

Yes, this is my understanding too
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjj501 wrote:
@Bergmeister, should be refundable til first use. Our 3V ones are.

My Morzine accom fell through after a booking date mixup (my fault) so tried to cancel my January PdS 7 day pass yesterday to keep resort options open, before the Swiss govt announcement, told by morzine ticket office they dont do that, only options given were change start date or change name (sell it) or claim on insurance. Seems ridiculous, so easy to reverse a CC payment with 6 weeks to go, bought early for better rate but feel pretty stupid now, €200+ potentially lost.
Jet2 also non refundable if i cant get to geneva (cant do a 10 day quarantine) £216 there, they dont do other ski airports and also lost £100 deposit on accom cancellation. Disaster unless everything settles down again and can use geneva. Sorry for moan, think I've been pretty stupid pre booking things given pandemic. Just desperate to ski Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Klammertime, I don’t think you were stupid. So many people have done the same - I bought new salopettes at midday yesterday! We cannot predict the future. I hope once the dust settles you will be allowed to transit and get to Morz - I know the whole town is so ready to welcome everyone this winter.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
https://www.facebook.com/ukembassyberne

Message from UK ambassador to Switzerland confirms transit to France not possible without quarantine.

"Message from the Ambassador on new Swiss entry requirements
British citizens, colleagues and friends
I am sure that you will all have seen the new rules introduced overnight for travel from the UK into Switzerland. There have been some updates to early reporting, and I wanted to make sure that you were all aware of the current situation following clarification with the Bundesamt für Gesundheit (BAG) today.
All those entering Switzerland from the UK will now need to self-isolate for 10 days in the place where they are staying. They will be able to use public transport to reach the destination where they will self-isolate. They can also return to the airport within the 10 day self-isolation period to catch a flight home.
This new quarantine requirement applies regardless of age and vaccination status, and it cannot be shortened. Everyone will also need to fill in a passenger locator form, and take a COVID-19 test in the UK before travel. This can be either a PCR test (within 72 hrs) or an antigen test (within 48 hrs).
The same restrictions apply for people entering Switzerland by road if they have been in the UK in the 10 day period prior to travel.
Official Swiss websites have now been updated to it make clear that there is no change to the immigration status of British citizens. They can still enter Switzerland provided they are double vaccinated even without holding a residence or work permit.
It is important to note that anyone arriving at Geneva Airport cannot transit Switzerland (e.g. to France) without undertaking 10 days quarantine.
This is a fast moving situation, and we will continue to update you as it progresses including through our travel advice (www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/switzerland). BAG also have a helpline for people travelling to Switzerland (+41 58 464 44 8Cool which is available every day from 6am to 11pm."
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So I can drive into Switzerland from France and fly home to England?!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’m sure the rules will be updated over the next few hours to cover all modes of transport …
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Surprised they're refusing a refund on the PDS pass as the Les Gets/Morzine pass seems to be refundable up until the day you should have started using it. We were about to book ours, so I'm pleased we didn't now. Had to take the dad decision to cancel our chalet booking for new year last night. Feeling gutted today Sad
Klammertime wrote:
rjj501 wrote:
@Bergmeister, should be refundable til first use. Our 3V ones are.

My Morzine accom fell through after a booking date mixup (my fault) so tried to cancel my January PdS 7 day pass yesterday to keep resort options open, before the Swiss govt announcement, told by morzine ticket office they dont do that, only options given were change start date or change name (sell it) or claim on insurance. Seems ridiculous, so easy to reverse a CC payment with 6 weeks to go, bought early for better rate but feel pretty stupid now, €200+ potentially lost.
Jet2 also non refundable if i cant get to geneva (cant do a 10 day quarantine) £216 there, they dont do other ski airports and also lost £100 deposit on accom cancellation. Disaster unless everything settles down again and can use geneva. Sorry for moan, think I've been pretty stupid pre booking things given pandemic. Just desperate to ski Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If I am reading this correctly, for those of us flying from Heathrow to Geneva for a ski trip in France, can no longer go ahead, as we will have to quarantine in Switzerland for 10 days?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
feefee wrote:
If I am reading this correctly, for those of us flying from Heathrow to Geneva for a ski trip in France, can no longer go ahead, as we will have to quarantine in Switzerland for 10 days?
unfortunately … yes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
feefee wrote:

Seems that way!

Also, https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/

Important: new measures will come into effect as of 29/11/2021.
Please check the page after this date for the details.
In any event, please consult the latest travel advice before travelling.
snow report
I have just travelled through Geneva airport and there were young Brits (sounded like they were arriving to do seasons in France) who passed through Swiss passport control without any obvious problems
latest report
That’s going to affect 1000’s of us rolling eyes
snow conditions
feefee wrote:

If that was aimed at me, not sure I follow you?
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
I have just travelled through Geneva airport and there were young Brits (sounded like they were arriving to do seasons in France) who passed through Swiss passport control without any obvious problems

Maybe they were travelling to Geneva from somwhere in Schengen, not UK, maybe they are going to isolate 10 days? Lots of maybe's
Seems unlikely Swiss border control would just ignore a Govt directive?
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
feefee wrote:

If that was aimed at me, not sure I follow you?

No not at all, I meant having our holidays messed up due to the Geneva situation will affect 1000’s of us .
ski holidays
Precisely, see update pasted above. U.K. ambassador in Berne confirmed with BAG she said. And other reports of people turned away.
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:

It looks as though the restriction starts tomorrow the 29th, hence why they had no issues today?
latest report
Another update from HM Gov travel alert:

“Those arriving from UK who wish to transit to another country will need to self-quarantine in Switzerland for 10 days.”

No show for anywhere!
snow conditions
Klammertime wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Maybe they were travelling to Geneva from somwhere in Schengen, not UK, maybe they are going to isolate 10 days? Lots of maybe's
Seems unlikely Swiss border control would just ignore a Govt directive?

They were on the BA Flight from Heathrow. Suspect they’ll just travel to France. Who’s going to stop them? The quarantine rule for transit to France is ridiculous and will be gone in a few days IMO.
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:

They were on the BA Flight from Heathrow. Suspect they’ll just travel to France. Who’s going to stop them? The quarantine rule for transit to France is ridiculous and will be gone in a few days IMO.

Interesting, I hope you're right, could do without all this.
ski holidays
Anybody know if UK nationals can ski from cervinia to zermatt…?
latest report
MaxiD wrote:

I heard they were building a dorm at the top for your 10 days in solitary Shocked wink
snow report
Klammertime wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Interesting, I hope you're right, could do without all this.

Keep saying this; even reading it is improving my mood Laughing Nothing like a faint glimmer of hope to keep you going!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How would this affect uk nationals skiing over from Cervinia? Asking for… me and my wife Confused
snow report
Gadge wrote:
MaxiD wrote:

I heard they were building a dorm at the top for your 10 days in solitary Shocked wink

It is an igloo
snow report
Quote:
The quarantine rule for transit to France is ridiculous and will be gone in a few days IMO.

I think you’re right. Swiss website changed already to say that transits are allowed.
snow conditions
tobes wrote:
Quote:
The quarantine rule for transit to France is ridiculous and will be gone in a few days IMO.

I think you’re right. Swiss website changed already to say that transits are allowed.

Got a link? Does anyone know if an antigen test has been accepted?
snow report
tobes wrote:
Quote:

Isn't that for people transiting through Swiss airports onto other flights?
snow conditions
Sugar. Our Arosa over New Year holiday, second year in a row, now looks off. Destined never to see the place!

I’ve followed in worldindata, covid hospitalisation numbers across European nations for a few weeks and belatedly CH’s have been accelerating. I wonder if Omnicron was simply the pandemic ‘icing on the cake’ for this winter that tipped their government over the edge.

If and when Germany and Sweden, for example, get Omnicron cases …. do the knowledgeable heads of snowheads think the Swiss will swiftly impose the 10 quarantine rule on them too?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 28-11-21 20:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
No point worrying about this (unless booked to travel this week) : I garuntee it will all be different in two weeks time.

Given lack of information on new varient I can see why Swiss shut border. Either it will be temporary measure. Or, if Omricon is real deal, (hopefully not!) then rest of Europe will soon follow.
snow report
@Snow&skifan, Germany have 2 suspected cases in Munich and 1 in Frankfurt.
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap wrote:
No point worrying about this (unless booked to travel this week) : I garuntee it will all be different in two weeks time.

Given lack of information on new varient I can see why Swiss shut border. Either it will be temporary measure. Or, if Omricon is real deal, (hopefully not!) then rest of Europe will soon follow.

I agree with this and @bobinch's comment.

The Swiss are very pragmatic, but politically it's a sensitive time for them. There was a referendum today on covid laws.

Either...
- the Swiss will find that Omicron is prevalent in CH and they'll remove quarantine, as per previous variants.
- and/or Omicron will be researched and found less threatening than expected, hence quarantine will be lifted.
- or the Omicron will be a game changer which will temporarily put us back the drawing board.

We'll see, but I wouldn't cancel prematurely.
snow conditions
Swiss health authority confirms it is investigating an infection thought to be Omicron. Inevitable I suppose. Wonder if this changes policy on international arrivals?

https://twitter.com/BAG_OFSP_UFSP/status/1465051857026490377
snow conditions
I am due to go to Val Thorens next Sunday 5/12th flying into Geneva. If the quarantine rules apply even for going straight to France we obviously won’t be able to go, can anyone suggest a decent alternative that will be open and is a large ski area? Was thinking Italy or Andorra but I have only ever been skiing in France so not sure.
snow report
They will relax the controls before the season starts cancelling would be premature
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy