Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss quarantine for UK travellers

Poster: A snowHead
@james75 When we had our return tests done at the Verbier Pharmacie International in late August, they were charging CHF 47 (£39) for a Lateral Flow and around CHF 100 (£82) for a PCR if you didn't have your GHIC.

Apparently they now charge, according to more recent travellers. The Verbier Tourist Office had a webpage listing all the pharmacies that could do tests and a link to the corresponding booking pages. Some of the pharmacies seemed to have a single shared booking service ('OneDoc Platform'), whereas others you booked direct. The shared platform needed you to register and get a username/login, before you could make a booking i.e. there wasn't a 'guest' facility.

Verbier Covid Webpage
List of Testing Pharmacies in Verbier with booking links

Our experience in resort was all very smooth and easy. The lateral flow tests took about 15 mins and we were emailed the certificate after the negative result. We re-arranged the consultation without any difficulty. Most of the people there were Brits but of course, it was late August, not a peak period. We had the luxury of our own apartment, so if we'd tested negative, we'd just have stayed on. We opted to use the 72h validity to let us get the test before we started packing i.e. so we wouldn't have to get everything back up from the basement storage if it turned out positive.

Some of the other Brits there were obviously doing it the morning before their flights home, given their conversation. I'm not sure I'd leave it that late, given the logistics of re-arranging flights and accommodation if anyone tested positive. It also raises the issue of having a strategy in place for when someone tests positive i.e. what exactly are you going to do? Leave them behind (if they're old enough)? One parent stay behind with them (if they're not)? Etc.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 7-12-21 23:05; edited 7 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@james75, The pharmacy by Migros is doing antigen tests for CHF45 (others are available https://www.verbier.ch/app/uploads/ot-verbier/2021/07/pharmarcies-ete-2021-en-1.pdf) - but it might be wise to book your test slot in advance! We also used them in September & October for our return to the UK tests and obtained a printed certificate with your passport details 15 minutes after the test.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks all. My understanding is (for 2 adults and 2 teens -15 & 13- travelling on 18th to 23rd of DEC)

PCR test required for flight to Switzerland (for 2 adults - under 16s not required)
LFT or PCR on day 4-7 whilst in Switzerland (again for 2 adults with under 16s not required)
LFT before flight home - both adults and kids

Does this sound about right?

Also would taking LFTs from home (official ones not NHS free ones) be ok for the 4-7 day test out there and for return home?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It sounds like you are duplicating your LFT's - if you obtain an antigen test from one of the Verbier pharmacies on the 22nd, they will print out an A4 certificate with your name, address, passport details and a QR code from the test which can be used for both the Valais 4-7 day update and the airport check in.

In the last few months, Geneva airport were checking our antigen test certificate details against our passport details, so I'm not sure that a self-administered LFT would be accepted - maybe check with your airline?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oui4ski wrote:
It sounds like you are duplicating your LFT's - if you obtain an antigen test from one of the Verbier pharmacies on the 22nd, they will print out an A4 certificate with your name, address, passport details and a QR code from the test which can be used for both the Valais 4-7 day update and the airport check in.

In the last few months, Geneva airport were checking our antigen test certificate details against our passport details, so I'm not sure that a self-administered LFT would be accepted - maybe check with your airline?

“Self administered” means the result is checked and a certificate issued, not who does the swabbing. Confirmed by several test providers.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
oui4ski wrote:

Thanks - will check with easyjet. Hoping to be in Nendaz rather than Verbier so hopefully find a pharmacie there that would do LFTs. If not - the approved companies offering lft certificates should be ok (hopefully!!) Very close to binning the whole thing!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andy from embsay wrote:

“Self administered” means the result is checked and a certificate issued, not who does the swabbing. Confirmed by several test providers.

For the UK tests I agree, but each Swiss canton has an approved list of test locations for your 4-7 day test in Switzerland. For the Valais the locations are listed here https://www.vs.ch/web/coronavirus/home#ancre_test - but I couldn't see where they allowed a self-administered test - this could just be my poor French language however!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@oui4ski, ah, ok - we always take our own!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What happens if you are only popping out for the weekend. What happens to the day 4-7 test, does it become your pre departure test for the way home, even if it occurs on day 3?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The requirement (my bold) is "have to complete a second test after 4 to 7 days in the country (antigen or PCR); the result of the second test must be sent to the relevant cantonal office" - however, it sounds like you won't be the country after 4 days.

We are using our day 6 test results also as the fit-to-fly departure test at Geneva airport (and the same type of antigen/LFT certificates were used from the same pharmacy in September & October this year and were accepted by EasyJet at Geneva).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A question about the day 4-7 antigen test required by the Swiss authorities.

I will need to take a LFT test for purposes of re-enterring the UK, but I could use a self-administered UK purchased test to do this. I already have a spare one of these bought in the summer and not used because the rules changed at the end of September.

I'm on a week-long trip Sunday to Sunday, so day 7 is the day I leave. As far as I can see if I were staying 8+ days, it would be acceptable to have the Swiss-required test late on day 7, so after the time of my departing flight. That seems to suggest I don't need to take the day 4-7 test for Swiss regulations as i will have already left the country. Does that make sense?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DCG, Sadly, I don't believe that is correct - if you are in Switzerland after day 4, then you need to take a test at a test centre defined by the canton between days 4-7. As I mentioned a couple of posts ago, self-administered tests do not appear to be allowed for your day 4-7 test in Switzerland.

We are using our day 4-7 test result certificates as the entry to the UK LFT certificate - but I don't know if your airline will accept a self-administered test at Geneva check in (if they don't then there is a test centre at T2 Geneva airport, but it may be too late to board your flight).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@oui4ski, Thanks for your reply. If I need to do a day 4-7 test to comply with Swiss regulations, then like you I would intend to use that for re-entry to the UK. It was just that I hoped to avoid the hassle and expense by using my already purchased self administered test. Hopefully, I will get to use it one day!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DCG, Fair enough! We are actually struggling more to get a reasonably priced UK PCT test to enter Switzerland ...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Similar to above, but we're planning on spending 6 days in Switzerland starting the 16th. We already have UK government approved self administer antigen tests that we'll do before flying back. And since we're only there 6 days we don't need to worry about the Swiss day 4-7 rule. Those are my assumptions anyway!
snow report
@marcs44, Except that what @oui4ski, was saying seems to be that by staying beyond day 4 that triggers the need to take a test which should then be done between days 4 & 7.
ski holidays
@marcs44, its not a clear one, is it? I would have assumed if you were in Switzerland on the 4th day then you would be obliged to do the local 4-7 day test. Otherwise it seems a bit pointless them saying 4 in the 4-7 days, they would have called it a day 7 test?
ski holidays
Thanks for the replies. I found this on the Swiss government website:

"After entering Switzerland: Once in Switzerland, everyone aged 16 and over must take another PCR test or rapid antigen test between the 4th and 7th day after entry. The test result and the number of the entry form or a copy of the contact card must be notified to the canton."

So my interpretation is you just need to do the test by day 7 latest. If we're returning to the UK on day 6 then it seems like we're ok.
latest report
@marcs44, I hope your interpretation is correct as it would also apply to me - because I leave before the end of the 7th day.
There may be some logic here: having day 7 as the upper limit to the range excludes all visitors coming for just one week, which is presumably the vast majority.
ski holidays
English translation of the current Swiss regulations (my bold of Between...)

"..Art. 824Obligation to test
1 Persons entering Switzerland must present a negative test result for SARS-CoV-2.25
2 Persons who cannot present a negative test result in accordance with para. 1 when they enter Switzerland must be tested immediately after their arrival:26
a. by molecular biology analysis for SARS-CoV-2, or
b. 27 by a rapid SARS-CoV-2 test with application by a professional referred to in Art. 24a para. 1 of Ordinance 3 COVID-19 of 19 June 202028 , unless it is based on a sample collection from the nasal cavity only or a saliva test.
2bis The persons referred to in paragraphs 1 and 2 must also undergo a test BETWEEN the fourth and seventh day following their arrival. Annex 2a sets out the requirements for the tests and the test results..."
snow conditions
@albob, Pretty clearly someone who only visited for two or three days would be exempt from the condition 2bis above. From four to seven days, maybe open to interpretation?
snow report
I’m there for 5! What to do???
snow report
@DCG, it says “must also undergo a test”, the only latitude is that it can be done between the 4th and 7th day rather than on a particular day.
ski holidays
@james75, get a local test it would seem.
ski holidays
Without wanting to sound like a broken record.... What is needed to re-enter Switzerland to fly home (after being in France for 9 days)??
snow conditions
@Trw144, It is all a bit confusing :: my post on another thread
result from - https://travelcheck.admin.ch/home

@midgetbiker, I tried with these
1 - enter Switzerland
2 - Confirmation of Notification (UK Nationals)
3 - France (coming from country)
4 - Transit (leave airport/change method of transport)
Result states - you need PCR and entry form

If you click - I live in border area (i.e. Cham), you do not need any of these ??

Note - you also need a PCR/LFD to enter UK

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 6-12-21 19:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
albob wrote:
@Trw144, It is all a bit confusing :: my post on another thread
result from - https://travelcheck.admin.ch/home

@midgetbiker, I tried with these
1 - enter Switzerland
2 - Confirmation of Notification (UK Nationals)
3 - France (coming from country)
4 - Transit (leave airport/change method of transport)
Result states - you need PCR and entry form

If you click - I live in border area (i.e. Cham), you do not need any of these ??

So it seems would need a fresh PCR test to enter back into Switzerland. Makes me tempted to swap flights to Grenoble if possible and then I only need antigen tests to enter/return from France
snow conditions
UK regs

"From 4am, Tuesday 7 December all people aged 12 years and over must take a PCR or LFD COVID-19 test before they travel to England from abroad.

You must take the test in the 2 days before your service to England departs. If your journey to England is a multi-leg journey, you must take the test in the 2 days before the start of the first leg.

This will apply whether you qualify as fully vaccinated or not.""

Must not sure what an LFD test is -- where's mrs google...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ster wrote:
@DCG, it says “must also undergo a test”, the only latitude is that it can be done between the 4th and 7th day rather than on a particular day.

But on that basis - if you place strong reliance on the word "must", someone visiting for two days would need to then return to Switzerland between the 4th & 7th of the original stay to have the second test. Unlikely...
ski holidays
@DCG, oh dear . Right oh, then go with whatever interpretation suits you.
ski holidays
@ster, Sorry - I wasn't trying to be awkward. Just trying to find out if I really do need to get a "local" test while in CH. The assumption @marcs44, has made (which seems reasonable) would equally apply to me.
Anyway, there is still time to get official clarification before my trip
ski holidays
In our trips over the last few months we were checked for both proof of vaccination & an antigen/LFT test certificate at Geneva airport when leaving Switzerland at a) airline check in (who marked our boarding passes as "evidence checked") or boarding gate (for hand luggage passengers) and b) Passport control between security screening and the departure gate. I'm afraid that I don't know if a non Swiss test would be acceptable for either of these checkpoints - but being turned back would cause considerable pain for me!
latest report
This is all very confusing…
We are landing in Geneva next Wednesday but transferring directly to Courchevel and I’m not sure if we need a PCR or antigen test to fly?
We are flying from Dublin and Ireland was never on their quarantine list but I can’t seem to get a definitive answer anywhere.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
ski holidays
maddness wrote:
This is all very confusing…
We are landing in Geneva next Wednesday but transferring directly to Courchevel and I’m not sure if we need a PCR or antigen test to fly?
We are flying from Dublin and Ireland was never on their quarantine list but I can’t seem to get a definitive answer anywhere.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Officially you need a PCR test if you are going through Geneva from UK, not sure from Ireland. When we came through yesterday they were checking everyone's Covid pass and tests but it did only seem a check that you had them. We talked to some folks on our flight that only had lateral flow not PCR but they got through. Our rep told us that a lot of people had been refused entry for not having tests though.
ski holidays
@maddness, Interesting - Ireland is on the French 'Green' list (at the moment!) : vacced people do not need a PCR to enter France

BUT as you are entering Switzerland

https://travelcheck.admin.ch/check -- this site indicates that travellers from Ireland need a PCR to enter Switzerland (even though your are transiting to France)
latest report
Under 16s don't need a test to enter Switzerland at the moment, if parents are jabbed and have a covid pass and test.
ski holidays
Trw144 wrote:
Without wanting to sound like a broken record.... What is needed to re-enter Switzerland to fly home (after being in France for 9 days)??

By my reading of:

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html

you are exempt from the testing requirements if you travel info Switzerland from certain regions of France. I'd suggest reading the guidance clearly and forming your own judgement.

The FAQs in the documents section of this page:

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/das-bag/aktuell/medienmitteilungen.msg-id-86260.html#downloads

also contains useful information.
snow conditions
@DCG, I guess in lieu of anything more concrete then either assumption could be reasonable. But I would have thought it would be a bit odd if the assumption that a local test was only needed when you were there for 7 days when they mentioned the 4th day, why mention the 4th day at all, just say its in 7 and have to have it done that day. As they do I would be more minded to think a presence there on the 4th day would be the trigger to that local testing requirement.

In any case it might be prudent to book/have one done rather than risk the wrath of the Swiss administration (and their proclivity for large fines, I believe simple speeding fines are linked to income! https://speedingeurope.com/switzerland/ ) , unless of course you can get the interpretation officially confirmed? Would be good if you managed to do so and publish here.
snow conditions
albob wrote:
@maddness, Interesting - Ireland is on the French 'Green' list (at the moment!) : vacced people do not need a PCR to enter France

BUT as you are entering Switzerland

https://travelcheck.admin.ch/check -- this site indicates that travellers from Ireland need a PCR to enter Switzerland (even though your are transiting to France)

Thanks. It does look like we will need a pcr to land in Geneva now alright.
snow report
Wife heading back from CH to Edinburgh to pick up parents for Xmas. Any ideas on this one?

Here’s a question for your Snowheads buddies:
- I get Antigen on pm of 16th in Switz
- I fly to Scotland on morning of 17th
- I fly back to Geneva on morning of 18th

According to U.K. guidelines, I’m supposed to have a PCR test from departure country no more than 72 hrs before flying.

- Presume that means I can’t then still use my Swiss antigen results.
- In U.K., how long does it take to get the PCR results? Earliest I can do it is afternoon of the 17th! Is that enough time?!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy