Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss quarantine for UK travellers

Poster: A snowHead
@colinstone, are you looking to enter CH or transit to FR?

I put the following into the travel check above

Would you like information on entering Switzerland or another country?
Entering Switzerland (incl. transit)
Which of the following statements apply to you?
Other
Which country are you entering from?
United Kingdom
I have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
You have stated that you have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Which vaccine were you vaccinated with?
AstraZeneca (AZD1222 Vaxzevria®)
Please specify all the countries in which you spent time in the ten days before entering Switzerland. (multiple selection possible)
United Kingdom
Does one of the following statements apply to you?
I enter only for transit, with the intention and the possibility of continuing directly to another country (Transit).

Result = You need to fill in an entry form before you cross the border. (entry form)
You are exempt from the test requirement.

I did it again changing the last to
None of the above exemptions

Result = You need to present a negative PCR test (not older than 72 hours) or a negative rapid antigen test (not older than 48 hours). A second test is required four to seven days after entry. This test result must be reported to the cantonal authorities responsible. Under 16s and people who have a medical certificate to prove that they cannot have a Sars-CoV-2 test for medical reasons are exempt from the testing requirement. (read more)
You need to fill in an entry form before you cross the border. (entry form)
You must quarantine in Switzerland. (read more)
You must report the quarantine to the competent cantonal authority. (read more)

Summary: you can enter Switzerland from UK if you are vaccinated. If you are staying in Switzerland you need test and quarantine. If you are transiting to France you need only entry form.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gämsbock wrote:
Summary: you can enter Switzerland from UK if you are vaccinated. If you are staying in Switzerland you need test and quarantine. If you are transiting to France you need only entry form.
I think that is admirably clear, after a weekend of confusion from many different sources, official and unofficial.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for posting the below @rob@rar - this updated CH checker exempts fully vaxxed UK passport holders to transit through GVA to FR

rob@rar wrote:
The Swiss government’s TravelCheck website has been updated today and says that onward transit to France from GVA is allowed for travellers from the UK, assuming they are fully vaccinated.

https://travelcheck.admin.ch/check

Good news for GVA transits if correct (and followed by airlines and border control)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good news! Hopefully this news makes it to the check in people at UK airports Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Grinning, not my link originally, but it’s good to see. As TravelCheck is the Swiss government’s official guidance for travellers, and it was updated today, I think we can be confident that it is the official position (as of today).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great news, there could be some good flight deals as folks have change from Geneva
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Phew! Thank you for this info, gratefully received snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonny996 wrote:
Great news, there could be some good flight deals as folks have change from Geneva
Although some airlines seemed to have jumped the gun and cancelled some flights over the next week or so. That seemed a bit odd to me, but indon’t know if it’s possible to quickly reinstate them?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Excellent news! Just hope the French rules don't change now Crying or Very sad and hoping the Swiss relax these measures for the vaccinated once we know a bit more.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Worth updating the thread Title, to make this info more prominent.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From Gov Uk site, it looks like you can only transit airside, hopefully that will change,

Summary

Still current at:
30 November 2021
Updated:
29 November 2021
Latest update:
Updated information on entry requirements. Arrivals from the UK must have proof of vaccination and proof of a negative COVID-19 test result to enter Switzerland, and self-quarantine for 10 days. Update clarifies there is no quarantine requirement for those in transit airside at the airport. (‘Entry requirements’) page.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The travel check form has no mention of quarantine - required or not for transit passengers.

When you fill out the entry form there is also still a large notice about quarantine if arriving from the countries of concern, no mention of transit.

It would suggest this is far from clear, unless i'm missing the bit that states - 'exempt from quarantine'. The travel check site just states no need for a test.

Also UK govt. travel advise which is updated frequently still references quarantine on arrival.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nevis1003 wrote:
From Gov Uk site, it looks like you can only transit airside, hopefully that will change,

Summary

Still current at:
30 November 2021
Updated:
29 November 2021
Latest update:
Updated information on entry requirements. Arrivals from the UK must have proof of vaccination and proof of a negative COVID-19 test result to enter Switzerland, and self-quarantine for 10 days. Update clarifies there is no quarantine requirement for those in transit airside at the airport. (‘Entry requirements’) page.

I think it depends on exactly what they mean by “transit”? I followed the link and assume it means I can enter Switzerland with the intention of transit to another country?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gämsbock, "I enter only for transit, with the intention and the possibility of continuing directly to another country (Transit)." Are you sure about the interpretation of "Transit"? It could just mean that you are staying in the airport and getting a flight onto another country NOT leaving the airport and driving to France?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@feefee, that‘s exactly how I understand it - „ I enter only for transit, with the intention and the possibility of continuing directly to another country (Transit).“ i.e. I land at Geneva with the intention and possibility of transiting directing to France.
snow report
Would you like information on entering Switzerland or another country?
Entering Switzerland (incl. transit)
Other
Which country are you entering from?
United Kingdom
I have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
You have stated that you have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Which vaccine were you vaccinated with?
AstraZeneca (AZD1222 Vaxzevria®)
Please specify all the countries in which you spent time in the ten days before entering Switzerland. (multiple selection possible)
United Kingdom
I enter only for transit, with the intention and the possibility of continuing directly to another country (Transit).

Travelcheck

You can enter Switzerland under certain conditions (Pandemic-related measures/Travel information).
You can enter Switzerland under certain conditions.
Pandemic-related measures

You need to fill in an entry form before you cross the border. (entry form)
You are exempt from the test requirement.

False declarations regarding vaccination or recovery status and failure to comply with the testing and reporting obligation may result in consequences under criminal law. A missing entry form as well as false information can be punished with a fine of CHF 100.

Please continue to follow the usual hygiene measures, such as keeping your distance, washing your hands and wearing a face covering in places where it is mandatory. (read more)

If you do not have a Swiss Covid certificate, an «EU Digital COVID Certificate» or a certificate compatible with the «EU Digital COVID Certificate», you can apply for a Swiss Covid certificate. For more information, see the Covid Certificate page.

Travel information

Your entry to the country is subject to the general entry requirements (e.g. travel document and visa). You may be accompanied by your children of minor age. If you are reliant on support, a carer may accompany you. These people are likewise subject to the general entry requirements.
If you do not require a visa for your entry, the airline may require a certificate from the Swiss diplomatic mission abroad. Please check this with the airline.
If you are travelling through another country on the way to Switzerland, please find out about the entry requirements in that country.
A printout or screenshot of Travelcheck does not automatically entitle you to enter Switzerland. You must be able to provide official documents to prove that you meet the applicable entry requirements. You'll find more information in our FAQ on entering Switzerland.
snow report
trmacc wrote:
@Gämsbock, "I enter only for transit, with the intention and the possibility of continuing directly to another country (Transit)." Are you sure about the interpretation of "Transit"? It could just mean that you are staying in the airport and getting a flight onto another country NOT leaving the airport and driving to France?

I don‘t believe that‘s what they mean. They explicitly said yesterday in the press conference that transit via Switzerland to other Schengen countries was allowed even from SEM list countries for people returning home. This will clearly be by road in many cases. E.g. someone returning home to Annecy from South Africa may fly into GVA to do so. They will not be remaining airside but exit the airport to finish their journey. It does not make any sense that „transit“ means something different (stricter) for countries on the (lesser) BAG list.
ski holidays
@trmacc, note also that they are relying on people entering from BAG list countries to self-present to the canton in which they are staying (i.e. they rely on honesty for the most part), there is no way that they will be following up on people who have proceeded directly to France and stated as such on their entry form.
snow report
Gämsbock wrote:
@feefee, that‘s exactly how I understand it - „ I enter only for transit, with the intention and the possibility of continuing directly to another country (Transit).“ i.e. I land at Geneva with the intention and possibility of transiting directing to France.

Thats not what transit means unfortunately. Transit airside is all that is allowed, that is staying in the airport, not entering the country, and flying on. Once you go through passport control you are not transiting ,you are entering.
snow report
@nevis1003, how do you explain „I enter only for transit“? If you stay airside you don‘t enter. Hence this sentence only applies if you do enter, i.e. exit the airport, in order to transit to another country.
snow conditions
If TravelCheck said you may not enter Switzerland but can transit to another airline then I'd agree with the suggestion that it means remaining airside. But it says you may enter Switzerland if your purpose is to transit directly to another country. Surely "entering Switzerland" is passing through border control, at which point you are free to leave the airport and complete your onward journey to another country? Perhaps the issue will be proving to the border guards that you are transiting to another country, rather than trying to stay in Switzerland without submitting their passenger locator form, test requirements and quarantine.
snow conditions
nevis1003 wrote:
Once you go through passport control you are not transiting ,you are entering.
Agreed. The TravelCheck website says very clearly you can enter Switzerland.
ski holidays
Clear as mud then Shocked
ski holidays
Just because of the fuller explanation I posted above from the UK site, hopefully this is not correct, but it looks like airside is all that is allowed. That entry is specific

, no quarantine for those in transit AIRSIDE

Summary

Still current at:
30 November 2021
Updated:
29 November 2021
Latest update:
latest report
@nevis1003, changing flights airside is transfer, not transit. Transit is passing through a country on your way to the destination.
snow report
@Gämsbock, thanks.
At least SEM indicates UK can go back? "fully vaccinated can once again enter Switzerland from a high-risk country".

I ran Travel Check a few times.
Direct from UK - PLF, test and Q.
After 10 days in France - PLF, no test, no Q.
I'm currently arriving usual CH apartment 5 or 6 Jan, before I go to FR 8 Jan for Telemark event leaving Mrs S, and returning CH 12 days later.
So looks like 10 days on boat first en route to get Q out of the way.
UK Christmas turkey 20 Dec!
More complicated than last season when Telemark event was cancelled, so wasn't an issue.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 30-11-21 10:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Arrivals from the UK must have proof of vaccination and proof of a negative COVID-19 test result to enter Switzerland, and self-quarantine for 10 days. Update clarifies there is no quarantine requirement for those in transit airside at the airport. (‘Entry requirements’) page.

Looks pretty clear to me, quarantine unless you stay airside, unfortunately.
ski holidays
@colinstone, yes, UK is not on the SEM list so you are able to enter CH from UK for any reason if vaccinated.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nevis1003, I think it‘s now clear from the Swiss side that UK are allowed to enter. I hope for the sake of everyone hoping to ski this weekend that the UK government also update their sites.
snow report
That would be a good result! But the Swiss website still says this, so Iam not convinced yet.

All travellers from the UK (irrespective of their vaccination status):
have to complete a pre-departure test (antigen or PCR) before arrival into Switzerland
have to complete a passenger locator form (SwissPLF) within 48 hours before entry
must self-isolate for 10 days upon arrival
must report their arrival to the relevant cantonal office within 2 days
have to complete another test after 4 to 7 days in the country (antigen or PCR); the result of the second test must be sent to the relevant cantonal office
snow conditions
I'm still not convinced that is what they mean. What about car hire to transit - you'd effectively be in Switz to go and pick up the car before driving off to the border to get to France.
snow report
Exactly, and there would be no control of what you did, so the whole thing would be a waste of time. I think you can only transit airside, as the UK gov site states.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 30-11-21 10:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
But the UK is on the SEM list (not sure if your vaccination status negates that tho'[)

click on the pdf dated 29/11 page 10

https://www.fedlex.admin.ch/eli/cc/2021/380/de?fbclid=IwAR0diPpPfPmUV2QiuCzS7rrvqulTr-D112ce0WYXAKbkM16GVtmpoSi6Hz8

List of States and territories with a variant virus of concern40
1. States and territories with a variant virus of concern that is immunovasive or for which it is not yet clear whether it is immunovasive (Art. 2 para. 1 and 2)
Angola Australia Austria Belgium Botswana Czech Republic Denmark Eswatini Hong Kong Hungary Israel Lesotho Malawi Mozambique Namibia
Netherlands (Kingdom of) Zambia
Zimbabwe South Africa Czech Republic
United Kingdom
snow conditions
@albob, That link now shows "This version, (30/11), is currently unavailable."
But that seems to be just a list of countries. Where is the entry rule?
And Switzerland needs to be added!!
snow conditions
The Travel Checker says you need to complete an entry form if you are transiting through Switzerland to another country. So it is assuming you are entering Switzerland to transit. You wouldn't need an entry form if you were transiting airside, as you wouldn't pass through the border controls.
ski holidays
colinstone wrote:
@albob, That link now shows "This version, (30/11), is currently unavailable."
But that seems to be just a list of countries. Where is the entry rule?
And Switzerland needs to be added!!

My link had expired !! -- edited so should now work

Note -- I was responding to the post that stated that the UK was not on the SEM list

========
and further edit == since I posted the document dated 30/11 has become available !!

https://www.fedlex.admin.ch/eli/cc/2021/380/de

PDF on the left hand side of the page
latest report
dunc999 wrote:
I'm still not convinced that is what they mean. What about car hire to transit - you'd effectively be in Switz to go and pick up the car before driving off to the border to get to France.
In what way wold that be different to travelling to Zermatt from GVA via three different trains, then when you finally arrive at your accommodation quarantining there for the required 10 days?
snow report
@rob@rar, I agree, no different at all, but I'm still not convinced they are considering UK>GVA>France as transit. Would dearly love to be wrong, obviosuly!
latest report
Agree, all most confusing.
If you Google "can you transit through geneva airport to france", the first on the list is: COVID-19 - Let us guide you - Genève Aéroport
The blurb underneath before you click on anything looks hopeful: "Transit passengers, i.e. those who cross Switzerland to France without stopping, are exempted from the obligation to present a test and an entry form. They will ..."
So you click on the link, to get:
"SORRY, THE PAGE THAT YOU WERE LOOKING CAN'T BE NOT FOUND

Back to the drawing board. Sad
snow report
@Jonpim,

I think it's simply a case that many of these websites haven't yet been updated.

I would stick with what the Travel Checker and SEM information is saying for now.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy