Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss quarantine for UK travellers

Poster: A snowHead
Nothing on the border restrictions from what i heard on the conference. Anyone else?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Tuckin, yep, that sounds like the correct explanation.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is all very weird. The Swiss government website still says you can transit. There is someone on the planetski facebook page who has been in touch with the UK embassy in Bern. I've checked it out and it definitely says you can

(Section 9a22) https://www.fedlex.admin.ch/eli/cc/2021/380/de?fbclid=IwAR3UUnOeXihk6FMoiFVD0c3FIObgygF8eB7Bk5KLkEibQmHo65OEWNzp7j0

Also this that we all looked at yesterday is still current:

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Soozm, the embassy have been known to be wrong before
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In the SH thread titled "Transit in Geneva" someone has printed a message from the UK Ambassador in Bern which definitively states that we cannot transit through Switzerland without meeting their vaccination & quarantine requirements.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That’s what’s so weird- as the Swiss govt website says you don’t have to. I can imagine you might need a test - although people arriving today reported that wasn’t looked at.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It WAS my understanding that schengen residents could transit without quarantine, but according to the 'Transit in Geneva' thread sleazyjet won't even let people board the flights if they're French resident.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Flew with Swiss from Birmingham to Zurich today - it was pretty uneventful. Check-in was the usual vax+test+plf. Only about 30 on the plane, mostly Brits, and it took off an hour late, as usual. Passport control at Zurich was just that - just needed a passport (and residence permit in my case).

There was one very strange thing. Nobody mentioned the need to quarantine. Not at check-in, not during the flight, not on arrival at Zurich. No posters or anything like that. And there was certainly no attempt at all to find out what peoples' onward travel plans were. We caught the train (x4) to Wengen, but we could just as easily have gone to Paris, Innsbruck, Milan or Frankfurt.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Think the biggest issue here is EasyJet running scared of fines for sending over folk who don't meet the Covid requirements. EZ don't fully understand the requirements and so err on the side of (extreme) caution.

Fingers crossed and a few days should give some greater clarity.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Swiss appear to have blocked the usual UK airport - GVA(CH) - France transfer method for UK citizens who e.g. are ‘normal’ tourists who don’t have exceptions like residence rights, work permits and the like. So an alternative route is needed.

Just so I can get to ski somehow, I’m selfishly hoping both that the French don’t now change their rules for those travelling from the UK, and that the English don’t go bonkers and now put France on their red list!

If the French simply put the UK on their red list, and don’t otherwise change their rules, the fully vaccinated Uk ‘tourist’ should still be able to go direct to France (not via GVA) without too much hassle. The ‘depending on your country of origin’ bit in their red list rules is a complicating factor though.

Re Red Lists: Some red lists are rather more red than others!

From: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-list-of-countries-and-territories 29.11.21/16:12
“If you have been in a country or territory on the red list in the 10 days before you arrive in England, you will only be allowed to enter the UK if you either:
* are a British or Irish National
* have residence rights in the UK
If you live in England, you should not travel to countries or territories on the red list.
You must do this even if you are fully vaccinated.
. . .
When you arrive in England you must quarantine in a managed hotel, and take 2 COVID-19 tests.
You must do this even if you are fully vaccinated.
. . .
Air passengers
You need to follow red list rules when you arrive in England if you pass border control at the airport during your transit stop.”

Seems familiar? Are there any really relevant difference between the current red list rules of Switzerland and the UK? I don’t see it.

But the French rules on entry from their red list zones are different. From : https://mobile.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Attestation-de-deplacement-et-de-voyage#from4. 29.11.21/16:33
2) You wish to enter French national territory
2.1 Traffic regime
If you are vaccinated , you are not subject to the regime of compelling reasons to enter the metropolitan territory.
If you are not vaccinated , you are subject to the compelling reasons regime. The indicative list of compelling reasons can be found on the certificate of entry into metropolitan territory which can be downloaded below.
. . .
2.2. Health control measures
If you are vaccinated, you only need to present proof of vaccination status and a sworn statement attesting to the absence of symptoms of covid-19 infection and contact with a confirmed case of covid-19.

If you are not vaccinated , you must present to the transport company and to the border control authorities a negative PCR or antigen test dated less than 48 hours before departure (departure of the first flight in the event of a journey with a connection ). Children under the age of twelve are exempt from testing.
Depending on your country of origin, you may be subject to screening on arrival for which you are asked, in order to facilitate administrative procedures, to complete the form available at the following address: https: / /passager.serveureos.org
You will systematically be subject to a quarantine or isolation measure which will be pronounced by prefectural decree on your arrival in mainland France for a period of ten days, which will be accompanied by a restriction of the times when leaving the place of isolation ( except in the case of transit in an international zone).
You will also need to present:
• a sworn statement attesting to the absence of symptoms of covid-19 infection and contact with a confirmed case of covid-19;
• a sworn undertaking to undergo the antigen test or the biological examination which will be carried out on arrival in mainland France;
• proof of the address of the home or of a suitable accommodation (hotel or similar), specifying, where applicable, the access procedures allowing control officers to verify compliance with the quarantine measure or isolation, except in the event of isolation in a place of accommodation provided by the administration (territorial isolation support cells have been set up to support people placed in isolation) or transit in international area.

So England and Switzerland are basically in step with their red zone rules, and the French are a bit out of step as theirs are a bit more pink. Very Happy Embarassed

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 29-11-21 17:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@FatGeorge. The key difference is (1)UK is mainly vaccinated (2) omicron isn't the predominant variant here (yet) (3) there are cases of omicron in Deu/Fr etc too
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dravot
Agreed but Switzerland and the Uk know those things too? But France, unlike the UK and Switzerland, has it covered in 2 stages, not one-size-fits-all, or so it seems at the moment:
(a) journey from red list zone - might not necessarily be so tough provided you’re not on list (b)
(b) your country of origin is a problem - tougher, as needs be.

This looks a lot more flexible administratively for the French than those other countries, and can take account of the situation being different in different countries as you suggest. That gives me a bit more hope for going straight to France.

Looks like GVA flights cancelled and I’ll be driving if it’s still Ok at the end of this week.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The French link above is dated 27 Nov.

This link indicates measures today:
https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/

"Important: new measures will come into effect as of 29/11/2021.
Please check the page after this date for the details."
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here's an emailed reply just received from our hotel in Arosa, after I asked them "Is the feeling in Switzerland that the Swiss government will extend these new laws to cover Christmas and New Year?".

"The swiss government has another meeting this upcoming Friday and will decide further."
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@telford_mike, its the canton’s job - you filled in your PLF? Wait for the call.
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@telford_mike, its the canton’s job - you filled in your PLF? Wait for the call.
oh yes of course - the plf. They usually send a text telling me to do stuff.
ski holidays
KenX wrote:
Some friends are just waiting to board their flight to GVA with the assurance from BA they can transit back home to France without issue, I'll update later........

So our friends just had to show their residency per its and were through, correct result for them, but if they can transit, then why not tourists?
latest report
@telford_mike, just listening to the press conference and they say that anyone entering from a country with a variant of concern (i.e. UK) should present themselves for a (free) PCR test. They also say that you should not assume you will be contacted by your canton and that they rely on people being self responsible.
latest report
Will this affect the Davos World Economic forum to be held Jan 2022?
ski holidays
Gämsbock wrote:
@telford_mike, just listening to the press conference and they say that anyone entering from a country with a variant of concern (i.e. UK) should present themselves for a (free) PCR test. They also say that you should not assume you will be contacted by your canton and that they rely on people being self responsible.

Thanks, Bern have asked arrivals from 'dodgy' countries to email them, so I'll do this tomorrow. Will also get some PCR tests booked.

https://www.gsi.be.ch/de/start/themen/coronavirus/massnahmen/quarantaenepflicht-en.html
snow conditions
This is from the https://www.sem.admin.ch/ site (courtesy of Ben's bus) and seems a little more positive.....

Transit from a third country considered by the SEM to be high-risk to a Schengen state
Third-country citizens holding a residence document or a visa type D for their destination country in the Schengen area are permitted to travel through Switzerland to that country.
The normal requirements for entering Switzerland apply.

It is only possible to enter Switzerland from a high-risk country in order to travel on to another Schengen state for a short stay of up to 90 days if you can prove that you have been vaccinated (see “How can I prove that I am vaccinated?”). Persons under 18 may enter Switzerland if they are travelling with an adult who has been vaccinated.
Otherwise the normal requirements for entering Switzerland apply.

If you have not been vaccinated, but your destination country in the Schengen area has authorised your entry for a short stay of up to 90 days, you may only enter the Schengen area by travelling directly to your destination country (i.e. you may not travel though Switzerland).
ski holidays
Quote:

This is from the https://www.sem.admin.ch/ site (courtesy of Ben's bus) and seems a little more positive.....

Transit from a third country considered by the SEM to be high-risk to a Schengen state
Third-country citizens holding a residence document or a visa type D for their destination country in the Schengen area are permitted to travel through Switzerland to that country.

It is only possible to enter Switzerland from a high-risk country in order to travel on to another Schengen state for a short stay of up to 90 days if you can prove that you have been vaccinated (see “How can I prove that I am vaccinated?”). Persons under 18 may enter Switzerland if they are travelling with an adult who has been vaccinated.

If you have not been vaccinated, but your destination country in the Schengen area has authorised your entry for a short stay of up to 90 days, you may only enter the Schengen area by travelling directly to your destination country (i.e. you may not travel though Switzerland).

This is quite old now, the problem is there appears to be a difference between countries listed as "high-risk" and those who have cases of a variant of concern which is whats leading to the 10 day quarantine rule.
latest report
Quote:

Quote:

This is quite old now, the problem is there appears to be a difference between countries listed as "high-risk" and those who have cases of a variant of concern which is whats leading to the 10 day quarantine rule.

Mon 29 Nov, 21
22:32

This is where a lot of the confusion is arising from. The 'high risk' (SEM) list is different from the list of countries with a variant of concern, so different rules apply. It says this on the Swiss Govt webpage listing the (ever-increasing) countries with a variant of concern: https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/liste.html#1848687410
latest report
Another glimmer of hope however in this article published tonight: https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/switzerland-rules-quarantine-ski-geneva-alps-b1966037.html

It suggests there will be further clarification later this week regarding short transits through Switzerland for skiers heading to France. Fingers crossed...
snow report
Big meeting of the Federal Council tomorrow. Things will change.
snow report
davidthornton wrote:
Will this affect the Davos World Economic forum to be held Jan 2022?

Maybe the Swiss want to keep Johnson & cronies away from it? wink
ski holidays
https://travelcheck.admin.ch/home?fbclid=IwAR1Cwm_2xjUuL5KjlKqSubrtPDpK_8PJ_f9MBRLmTbhPGj7ZihgY1gBkbls

Looks like travel check is updated and (cautiously) it’s good news!
snow report
@Soozm, thanks for that, it does seem to be encouraging for onward transit to France, subject to full vaccination and completion of the usual Covid paperwork.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CathS wrote:
Another glimmer of hope however in this article published tonight: https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/switzerland-rules-quarantine-ski-geneva-alps-b1966037.html

It suggests there will be further clarification later this week regarding short transits through Switzerland for skiers heading to France. Fingers crossed...

I do not think there is any glimmer of hope there, as they have completely missed the point that only Swiss residents etc. are permitted even to step foot in Switzerland in the first place. As a UK resident we are not even allowed into Switzerland.

The journalist also incorrectly states that Swiss residents et cetera do not have to quarantine. Au contraire, these are the very people who do have to quarantine! UK residents do not even get as far as Switzerland.

As the journalist obviously has failed to understand the regulations, I should not think there is much hope for the rest of the article!

And anyway, there are barely any flights to Switzerland remaining, And a rule change on Friday is not going to help anybody going out this weekend.
snow report
[quote="James the Last"]
CathS wrote:
I do not think there is any glimmer of hope there, as they have completely missed the point that only Swiss residents etc. are permitted even to step foot in Switzerland in the first place. As a UK resident we are not even allowed into Switzerland.

This is not true, see here:
https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/sem/aktuell/faq-einreiseverweigerung.html#-1871257744

You can enter even from high-risk countries and without being a Swiss resident as long as you have been vaccinated. The travel check has been offline since Friday whilst they updated it and is now back online. If you put in that you are a British citizen, vaccinated, no residence permit it now says you can enter Switzerland for transit again (no test or quarantine required for transit).
latest report
So many threads on here. Admins merge?

This was posted on another thread.

Looks like uk passport holders can transit

https://travelcheck.admin.ch/home
snow report
@Gämsbock, Travelcheck also says that fully vaccinated transfer drivers can enter Switzerland from France, so transfer companies should not have problems running their services. As Travelcheck says it was last updated today you’d hope this was the official position of the Swiss government.
snow report
@rob@rar, yes, it seems they have now clarified that transit to France is fine.
snow conditions
I wonder how many people panicked and cancelled their holiday.
Not to mention the logistical nightmare TOs are facing.

I expected better communication from the Swiss government.
latest report
Is there official clarification that we can fly into GVA and then transfer to France ?
ski holidays
@martyngb, put your details into the travelcheck link above.
ski holidays
https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home.html

Doesn't make sense and there doesn't seem to be a date it was or is valid.

It now says:

"Corona: Persons from third countries who are fully vaccinated can enter Switzerland
Anyone who can prove that they have been fully vaccinated can once again enter Switzerland from a high-risk country, i.e. a country outside the Schengen area. Please observe the health-related measures taken by the FOPH (entry form, compulsory testing). For further information on the subject, please contact the Federal Office of Public Health FOPH directly."

And the Travel Check indicates from UK testing and quarantine is required.

The link a few posts above - https://www.sem.admin.ch/ with the advice:

" Transit from a third country considered by the SEM to be high-risk to a Schengen state.... etc etc"

is not immediately evident?? Chasing the links and going round in circles, I can't now find the text in the post.

Confused!! Unless of course it has changed??
latest report
@colinstone, the Swiss government’s TravelCheck website, link above, seems pretty clear to me. Onward transit to France for fully vaccinated travellers from the UK is allowed. The website says it was last updated today.
latest report
Latest info seems clear that transit is allowed. Total confusion though, BA cancelled our flight into Geneva last night. So even the airline's are baffled.
snow report
@colinstone, are you looking to enter CH or transit to FR?

I put the following into the travel check above

Would you like information on entering Switzerland or another country?
Entering Switzerland (incl. transit)
Which of the following statements apply to you?
Other
Which country are you entering from?
United Kingdom
Which of the following statements apply to you?
I have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
You have stated that you have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Which vaccine were you vaccinated with?
AstraZeneca (AZD1222 Vaxzevria®)
Please specify all the countries in which you spent time in the ten days before entering Switzerland. (multiple selection possible)
United Kingdom
Does one of the following statements apply to you?
I enter only for transit, with the intention and the possibility of continuing directly to another country (Transit).

Result = You need to fill in an entry form before you cross the border. (entry form)
You are exempt from the test requirement.

I did it again changing the last to
Does one of the following statements apply to you?
None of the above exemptions

Result = You need to present a negative PCR test (not older than 72 hours) or a negative rapid antigen test (not older than 48 hours). A second test is required four to seven days after entry. This test result must be reported to the cantonal authorities responsible. Under 16s and people who have a medical certificate to prove that they cannot have a Sars-CoV-2 test for medical reasons are exempt from the testing requirement. (read more)
You need to fill in an entry form before you cross the border. (entry form)
You must quarantine in Switzerland. (read more)
You must report the quarantine to the competent cantonal authority. (read more)

Summary: you can enter Switzerland from UK if you are vaccinated. If you are staying in Switzerland you need test and quarantine. If you are transiting to France you need only entry form.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy