Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens off piste

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone have some good lift accessed off piste zones in VT? Is it possible to traverse from the col chairlift to ski thorens glacier? I know the lifts are closed this year but still curious
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
montgo wrote:
Anyone have some good lift accessed off piste zones in VT?

Under Bruyeres 2
There's a nice couloir over in the Orelle sector - can see it on the right as you are going up the chair.
Under Boismint
Plenty of other options you can spy from the lifts.

montgo wrote:
Is it possible to traverse from the col chairlift to ski thorens glacier?

Yes, just double back and traverse left under the rocky ridge. Massive field. If you go right side it can be good also.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks! What chairlift in Orelle? Also, is there any good off piste in the peclet/plein sud sectors?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We could tell you but we'd have to kill you. More seriously though lots of the off piste in VT is easily scopable from lifts & pistes and you just need to have your wits about you to make sure you don't get greedy and cliffed out (can happen in Orelle sector in a couple of places) and/or remember enough detail that you can nav out in a whiteout. Stuff like Lac Du Lou is easily available with guides or someone who knows the way. Depending on time of year and sunshine/wind hours, altitude and aspect can have a major influence on desirability of said off piste (true anywhere but especially true in a extended season like at VT given lack of tree cover)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dave of the Marmottes, and be aware how quick the mist can descend, a bit like last day of EoSB 2019
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Where to start? There's a lot.

Bouchet chair - from top go;
1. Straight on under the netting between the top of the chair and the Tyrolienne.
Two main routes from there if you follow some clear tracks (too complicated to explain details otherwise)
One route is more or less straight down into the valley, the other traverses onto Glacier du Bouchet before going down the glacier.
2. 50m down the piste and turn off to the right to ski down under the lifts, rejoining the main piste near the bottom having crossed a few pistes on the way down
3. 50m down the piste and turn off the the left. Stay as high as possible (the bottom of a cliff stops you going higher) and traverse to your left. Then various routes can be taken down joining the piste near the bottom of Peyron chair or before as you please.

Cime Caron lift - from top go anywhere really including:
Combe de Caron black piste, at first right turn leave piste on the left and head for couloir Gasex.
Col de L'aAudzin red piste,
Within a few hundred metres turn off left into Val du Lou and head down to Lac du Lou, or
Stay on piste until it turns sharp left and go straight on off piste into the valley under the Cime Carron lift.
Combe de Rosael black piste until you pass through to Orelle side, then come off to your right into a wide open hill side. Rejoin the pistes much lower down.

Funitel Peclet:
Turn sharp left at top and drop into valley keeping left as you go down to delay rejoining the piste as much as possible (Admin says this is one of his favourite btw), or go down to take the
Glacier chair - from the top traverse left and then drop down. Don't head down till you have traversed as there's a lump of rock to negotiate just next to the lift.

Plein Sud - don't do it so often and that side gets the sun but you can come down anywhere on that side into Val T. There are sometimes a few moguls there somewhere too if that's your thing (Goitschel piste I think)

Actually this list could go on forever but if you see where others have been you won't be too far out.
I know you're not suppose to blindly follow tracks so don't do it blindly but they will mostly give you an idea of what goes and you can often check your route from a chair lift. For all of these you naturally have to keep an eye where you are going as here and there are rock outcrops and bits you can't ski down.
Plus think clearly about avalanche risk on any given day. That's a tricky subject so if in doubt you may feel (in fact be) safer with a guide.

Thanks for making me try and remember what skiing is like and let's hope we get to do it again before too long!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, and be aware how quick the mist can descend, a bit like last day of EoSB 2019

My main memory of that day is getting up a recently opened col lift late in the day and shralping the feck out of the wind very buffed front face mainly competing with other sHs. Made up for a week that had been a bit shitty in places.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ed_sec, hasn't Glacier chair gone now?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
adithorp wrote:

Ah, you may be right. I was referencing my memory and a 2016 piste map.
fingers crossed we can check for ourselves at the EOSB!
Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
adithorp wrote:

Hadn't realised that - shows how often I skied there and why something seemed a bit weird last time I went up Peclet. Why did they take it out (beyond the fact that the pistes were often icy deathpack)?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
adithorp wrote:

Hadn't realised that - shows how often I skied there and why something seemed a bit weird last time I went up Peclet. Why did they take it out (beyond the fact that the pistes were often icy deathpack)?

Just checked the latest piste map and it is indeed so.
I guess it doesn't change a lot in that it didn't lead to anywhere much different than you get to from Peclet anyway. If you're really planning to scale the Aiguille de Peclet form that side I don't suppose a few metres walk makes much difference Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't know why it went. Just remember someone saying it had gone from last year's piste map. It was pretty slow and ancient.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It was taken out this Summer. End of an era, glacier's receding. In the 80s there were 3? surface lifts above the Glacier chair which is where most of the summer skiing was AIUI (before my time but you can find old piste maps online which show them).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
adithorp wrote:

They swapped it for the right to build a blue run down from Caron. Clever move.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shame about Glacier! Sad I often liked to head left, over that little ridge/drop onto that open face - or a steeper line back under the rocks beneath the top of the chair.
It was also nice to head over the last bit of the glacier and down the face above the path leading to Christine/Tete Ronde. That was always a good candidate for freshies as you can't see it from a lift.

I even appreciated the fact it was a slow chair as it saved the zone from getting skied out so quickly.
ski holidays
Tristero wrote:
adithorp wrote:

Yes it was to appease the environmentalists - though studies showed there was no significant loss of wildlife or impact as a result of the the glacier chair to that sector.

The history of TSF3 du glacier
https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/bdd/reportage-tsf3-du-glacier-poma-3681.html
snow report
extremerob wrote:
Tristero wrote:
adithorp wrote:

Yes it was to appease the environmentalists - though studies showed there was no significant loss of wildlife or impact as a result of the the glacier chair to that sector.

The history of TSF3 du glacier
https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/bdd/reportage-tsf3-du-glacier-poma-3681.html

What a great web site, thanks for the link. I'd seen an old pic of glacier de Chaviere with people skiing what looked like a piste on it and wondered about that. But didn't know for sure there'd been summer skiing (lift served) on Chaviere and Peclet.
snow conditions
@Ed_sec, this is another great website about abandoned ski areas:

https://stationsfantomes.wordpress.com/liste/

And this is another great series of reads - history of French summer skiing:

https://www.skipass.com/news/203743-ski-d-ete-france-anthologie.html
latest report
Tristero wrote:

Agreed. That'll be in conjunction with the new gondola to the top of Caron from Orelle then that opens December 2021. Effectively gives a complete Blue circuit in and out of Orelle (with the Thorens lift) that'll make that sector of VT far more accessible to intermediates. God knows what you'll do for lunch, the half-decent self-service in Orelle already has queues outside the door for most of the season. Laughing
ski holidays
admin wrote:
Shame about Glacier! Sad I often liked to head left, over that little ridge/drop onto that open face

Me too. I'll miss Glacier. I liked how peaceful it was up there. More than once that skirt over to the left has been my last run of the season at the end of the last day of the season.
ski holidays
hi all, can anyone recommend a good guide for Orelle? I can only find ESF online.
snow conditions
farj wrote:
hi all, can anyone recommend a good guide for Orelle? I can only find ESF online.

ESF at Orelle is actually a good place to go.
Xavier Carraz the boss there is an ex Freeride champion and used to run Maurienne Hors Piste.
Maurienne Hors Piste has become UpGuides and they could sort you out too.
UpGuides is run by Fred and Victor who used to work with Xavier.
Basically they all know each other and you'll get a good guide whichever way you go.
I think the prices will be the same and even the guides might be the same but contact them to find out.
Have fun!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy