Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Some lifts not operating in St. Johann i.T. & Kirchdorf this season

Poster: A snowHead
The local paper reports that the chairlift at Kirchdorf will not be running this winter (and maybe never again). That means that only the area with the T-bar, rope tow and travellator will be operating, mainly for beginners. Sad. Kirchdorf was never an area to satisfy those wanting many km of piste but I have enjoyed a few visits there, sometimes when wind had closed down most other local areas.

Further news is that the Hochfeld lift in St. Johann in Tirol won't be operating either. With this lift being at a rather out on a corner part of the ski area this may not be a great loss for many but again it means a little less variety. If this means just the lower lift or also the upper one, I'm not sure (and can't now find the original report).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@espri, did they say why the Hochfeld wasn’t running? It’s an old chair.
That was handy if you live on that side as you can get on the lift with a short ski down the track ending where the kids ski school hut is. Saved walking to the Harschbichl gondola.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No, no explanation. I suppose it is probably because the lift wasn't used all that much, useful though it could be, as you say. And maybe its age had something to do with it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here is the original article (in German) from the Tiroler Tageszeitung. The blame is being put on Corona, leading to not enough users. It also seems that the upper 3-seater Hochfeld lift will not be operating.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That’s a shame, it was the one I remember using first thing after dropping at ski school to avoid having to get back to the gondola. (I think?)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@espri, it’s a shame for the people that stay at the COOEE hotel or the Explorer because that Hochfeld lift was just the job right there. Even if they had the lower part going that would mean you could then ski down to the gondola station instead.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Actually I’ve just read in the article about the hotels being disappointed. I can’t say I blame them, after a tough time last season no doubt.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

maybe its age had something to do with it

There comes a point where regulations demand that a lift has a major "service" which in some cases is just too costly to justify. But it's always a pity when nice quiet little local corners disappear.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Had a great day's skiing in St. Johann in Tirol today, with really super weather, blue sky and sun, though chilly. Was also very quiet. Reporting it here as I can confirm that the the two Hochfeld chairlifts weren't running. I can also report that the Baumoos T-bar was not only not operating but seems to have been completely removed (apart from the bottom station). Another sad, if not great, loss. Here's a photo showing all that remains in the background…

Having a greater effect on today's skiing was the fact that the Penzing 4-seater chairlift also wasn't running. I presume that is only a temporary closure, although it seems that SkiStar is running as little as possible. However, the Bauernpenzing gondola was operating, so we were able to ski down piste 7 for excellent hot chocolates at the s'Liftradl hut. Piste 7 was an interesting experience, for it hadn't been completely prepared and provided the extra excitement of frequent piles of softer snow (pistes were otherwise mostly hard-packed) alongside snow cannons. Later, on a notice board beside the top station of the Bauernpenzing lift, we saw that the piste was shown as closed but I certainly hadn't seen any corresponding notice on the piste itself. However, winding a way past the piles added to the fun. We also had one run down the alternative, longer piste 6 and were happy to find the Tauwiesen Poma lift running to get us back over to the gondola.

A good ski day!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@espri, this might explain things, just seen it.

https://www.meinbezirk.at/kitzbuehel/c-wirtschaft/heimische-gruppe-uebernimmt-mehrheit-bei-st-johanner-bergbahnen_a5067844/amp

Interesting. It can only be a good thing I think? Also there’s mention of ‘expansion’
Sounds like they will soon have it all sorted!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Those of you that know St Johann - we are going in 3 weeks time (hopefully - I’ll start believing once we’re through Salzburg airport!) and am hoping this time to venture a little further afield. Is Steinplatte a good day trip and is that whole area of steinplatte included with the 3-lander pass? My husband is a complete beginner and my son’s only skied a week so nice wide scenic pistes are ideal and it looks on paper to fit the bill. Buses look easy enough too. Or are we better trying Fieberbrunn?

Thanks
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Lozza1uk, yes Steinplatte is worth a day trip out. If you get a Super Ski Card that covers St Johann Kitzbuhel Fieberbrunn/Saalbach, Steinplatte/Waidring and more.
St Jakob in Haus in the PillerseeTal (near Fieberbrunn) is a small easy ski area too with an interesting looking building at the top.
Plenty of terrain for a week though for early level/entry level skiers just in St Johann to be honest! And Kitzbuhel nearby there’s just zillions so you may not even get time to go to Steinplatte, or need to!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 17-01-22 5:24; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Lozza1uk, not sure how good the bus connections are between St Johann and either Waidring or Fieberbrunn (the lifts at Fieberbrunn are a bit out of the village), Kitzbühel is very easy to get to, the train takes you direct to the Hahnenkamm lift. The lower part of Fieberbrunn is perfectly nice, would be enough to keep a beginner amused for a day (the main attraction of Fieberbrunn is the link to Saalbach Hinterglemm and the large bowl higher up with more difficult skiing). Not been to Steinplatte but I know it sells itself as very family friendly with easy skiing. Kitzbühel has a wide variety of skiing though the runs back to the town might be a bit tough for complete beginners.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@VolklAttivaS5, at least that brings some degree of certainty for the future of the area. Looks positive.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
espri wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, at least that brings some degree of certainty for the future of the area. Looks positive.

I thought so.
Maybe that connection to the Kitzbuheler Horn might come to fruition now.
To be fair that Hochfeld chair did need replacing so I expect that will be their first job.
They can’t be thinking of not doing anything with it because there’s those 2 big hotels there who won’t be happy without something there.
ski holidays
Thanks all. It’s our second time in St Johann and so I’d like to escape for at least one day. Did think about kitz but it means buying the more expensive pass and not sure that’s worth it for just one day away from st Johann. I might head there on my own one day and leave the others in ski school!
latest report
@Lozza1uk, yes pop to Kitzbuhel on your own you will love it
latest report
@Lozza1uk, there are buses to Waidring and Fieberbrunn. The 3-Länder ski pass should be fine. The Steinplatte is good, and recommended, for anyone who can ski on moderately steep slopes. I often go there with visiting friends, for their first day back on skis.

Another alternative on the 3-Länder pass is Lofer. Though that's a bit further away there is a bus connection from St. Johann. It also has good slopes for intermediate skiers, e.g. alongside the Familie-Express chairlift. Less experienced skiers should take the gondola down from the Loferer Alm to the village at the end of the day.

The Buchensteinwand/Pillersee area at St. Jakob in Haus has a good but relatively small beginners' area in the valley. The blue piste down from the top of the main hill requires a basic competence.

Fieberbrunn also has a beginners' area at valley level (Obingleitn tow) and another good beginners' area at the middle station of the Streuböden lifts (using the Zillstatt tow). The run down to the valley from the middle station of the Streuböden lifts and likewise the piste at the Doischberg gondola should be possible for those who can do controlled snowplough/stem turns on middle steep slopes.

There is a smallish beginner’s area in Kirchdorf but I don't think the chairlift at Kirchdorf is operating this winter, which makes the area rather restricted.
ski holidays
Thanks @espri that’s really useful info!

I think I’ll see how quickly my husband progresses and take it from there. I’ll disappear off by myself for a day or two if necessary, as long as he can get our son from ski school.
snow report
Looking at St Johann for a tentative first ski trip with a one year old. Normally we'd opt for somewhere with more slopes (Ski Welt, Saalbach, Arlberg in recent years) but I reckon St Johann would be fine if we're sharing the childcare. I just wondered how feasible it would be to all meet up in the mountain restaurants? I couldn't quite work it out from the piste map.
snow report
The only mountain restaurants I can think of which are directly at lifts are the two near the Harschbichl gondola: either the Koasaburg at the middle station of the gondola or the Harschbichl hut beside the top station.
snow conditions
When we went 3 years ago my husband didn’t ski but walked up the roads or the side of the pistes to meet us to eat. Admittedly he’s quite fit and enjoyed the exercise but you could do it with the one year old in a sling/carrier. It’s a shame the hochfeld chair lift isn’t running as there’s a great restaurant at the top of it.
snow report
@Lozza1uk's post reminds me that another, more energetic, possibility might be to walk up the road to the Pointenhof restaurant (at the bottom station of the Jodlalm chairlift). That's quite a way from the town, though. And another restaurant that can be reached by walking up a road is the Grander Schupf, beside the top station of the Eichenhof gondola. You could even take the gondola up and walk only the short distance over to the restaurant, if walking all the way up the road seems too much.

Not a mountain restaurant but right beside the piste at the bottom of the Eichenhof area is the RockBar (beside the Hotel Kaiserfels). Even the bus stops nearby.
latest report
Thanks for the info. We're both runners so will hopefully be ok with the road option.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy