Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Day 2 LF/PCR test providers - recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
https://www.find-travel-test-provider.service.gov.uk/providers gives a very long list of test providers, even when searching for just lateral flow tests to be taken at home.

I don't know where to begin - what providers have people used and what experience did you have with them?

Thanks in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chronomics were good
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another shout for Chronomics as good.

For day2 though you don't need good (ie quick) just cheap.

Try Simplytestme they were the cheapest last time I looked, and actually perfectly swift as it happens.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks @DCG, and their website gives me confidence - I like science guys Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you also @midgetbiker, I'll have a look at them also.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
https://www.expert-medicals.co.uk/collections/navigation

Used these guys for a couple of trips, and now £13 for the day 2 test, seems like a good / competitive price.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
C19testing was recommended by a SH and worked well for us
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I, and others in my family, have used this company several times. £17

https://www.testingforall.org/product/day-2-lateral-flow/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
testing for all
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @richb67, @CaravanSkier, @Mr.Egg .
I’ve also found a Which? comparison which was carried out in September where Testing For All was one of their recommendations at £19 - seems that competition is driving down prices.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Been through this for the PSB and:
1. Order by price.
2. Click through checking where they are based - the cheapest (listed) prices tend to be 'click and collect' self tests, with postal tests from the same providers being at the other end of the scale. If you have a cheap one local to you, go for it. If not make notes of the cheapest postal price as you go through.

Nobody especially close/easy for me to get to to ended up using Vivo Vlinic. £14.90 delivered and arrived a day or 2 after ordering, with the code you need for the 'before return to UK' form in the order confirmation email.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We have used expert-medicals a few times in the last couple of months and had no issues at all.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mjit, I like that organised thinking! Thank you for your recommendation, and for yours as well @oui4ski. I think I have a very good shortlist to look at now.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Checkflaps, thanks, that’s two votes for these guys
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just order the cheapest. Who cares whether it turns up or not, all you need is the booking reference. There's no checking whether you actually do the test. In fact, no one even looks at the PLF-you could just enter ABCDE1234567 or use an previous number.
If you're feeling virtuous you can just use one of the NHS boxes we've all got.
ski holidays
@snowhound, Friends returning to the UK in the last couple of days have been asked to produce "Proof of Purchase" to back up the order numbers they had entered on their UK PLF's. Caused quite a scramble at the airport apparently.

Edit.. we were chatting just this week about test providers. A couple of different travel groups ordered kits from Chronomics in recent weeks. The test kits still haven't arrived. One friend is convinced that they've been scammed.
snow conditions
@GeorgeVII, their website faqs says that the tests will be delivered close to the date you’re due to return, in time for day 2. Would that explain your friends’ experience?
snow report
@motyl, No. One party has been back in the UK for about a month. The other returned at the beginning of this week. No sign of the test kits.

We ordered from Boots Online. Not the cheapest but not the most expensive either. Royal Mail tracked delivery. Email by return confirming the order number required to complete the PLF.
latest report
Thanks @GeorgeVII, that doesn’t sound good does it. I might check the method of delivery, or perhaps see if I can collect. Getting ready to go away is turning into a full time occupation Sad
snow conditions
I used Simplytestme a couple of weeks ago. £12 each. Arrived in good time and confirmed the negative test I did was negative by email the next day.

As has already been said though, the important thing to jump through the hoops is the reference number.
ski holidays
@motyl,

Quote:

Getting ready to go away is turning into a full time occupation

. I know what you mean. Checking/ double checking everything and hoping not to get tripped up. We're currently in Portugal. Flew out on Monday and will fly back on a Friday to avoid busy weekend travel. We did use Ryanairs' App that allows you to upload your vaccine certs, PLF (for Portugal). At no point, either at MAN or Faro did anyone ask to see our documentation. (We have printed back-ups too). I've no idea if that means that the airline are able to show Border Control that we have complied with the requirements.

With concerns about the new Covid strain I expect things to tighten up for returning to the UK. The friends who were asked to show proof of purchase for their 2-day tests said that it was almost as if their departure airport on their return had been "primed" to ask the relevant questions about how/where they had purchased said tests.
latest report
@GeorgeVII, yes I think it’s prudent to jump through all the hoops as the authorities hold all the cards. Sorry, mixing metaphors snowHead
snow report
@GeorgeVII, OK, being facetious about ABCDE1234567....but there is nothing stopping you from using the same kit you've ordered for a previous holiday and using the same numbers. If they want proof, you'll have the email confirmation. Anyone at the airport won't be able to tell.
The whole day 2 testing is a waste of time and money anyway. The argument for genomic testing for variants falls apart because lateral flows aren't processed-hardly any of the PCRs were either. And if you want to do a test, you can use one of the free boxes the government give away with cornflakes.
snow report
Flew into Gatwick last night and absolutely no checking of PLF or proof of purchase or anything. I would not recommend Boots as kit ordered on Weds but not being delivered til Monday which will be day 3. What a waste of money!
ski holidays
Due to changes in the type of 2-day test required on return we now have 2 redundant LF tests.

Anybody had any joy getting a refund or discount on a PCR test?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy