Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Plagne 1800 with children

Poster: A snowHead
We are on the verge of booking a trip to Plagne 1800 with children aged 3, 3 and 5 in March 2022. Apartment will be about 200m walk to chairlift. This is our first time since having children so looking for general advice from those accustomed to travelling with them!
Intend to fly to Lyon and will use private transfer
We used Oxygene ski school as adults 6 years ago and were really impressed, considering booking lessons with them for the children. Would those with experience be able to comment on Oxygene vs ESF for children?
From what I can tell, staying in Plagne 1800 will involve getting a chair lift upto Plagne Centre every morning for ski school or getting the resort bus; is this a reasonable option with children of these ages (there are 4 adults)?
Any other comments or recommendations?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snowwithkids, welcome to Snowheads

Presumably the children are complete beginners? Fairly sure there are still beginner lessons in Plagne 1800 (my OH had her first lesson there some years ago), but possibly this will be only ESF and not Oxygene.

With children that age (and three of them) it will be easier to use the bus rather than the chairlift. And anyway the chairlift won't take you directly to Plagne Centre; you would need a 2nd chair lift and then a walk for that. How far are you from the bus stop? If they can have lessons in Plagne 1800 they will initially only use the simple drag-lift so it won't be an issue
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ecureuil thank you Smile Yes they are complete beginners, we may try get a snowdome lesson in here if possible before the trip

Any advice on Oxygene vs ESF? I will look into potential ESF lessons for them at Plagne 1800 although I am not sure if they run Piou Piou from there and was going to put them in group lessons (particularly the younger 2) as I was under the impression they would benefit from the overall environment. Please correct me if I am wrong though

We have been advised we are right next to the bus stop. Oxygene also say on their website they will collect by bus in the mornings if we request
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snowwithkids, see https://www.ski-school-laplagne.co.uk/little-children/club-pioupiou/, which says it runs in 1800.

Sorry, I can't help with Oxygene.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowwithkids, as suggested by ecureuil, use the bus to get your kids up to Plagne Centre.

If your kids speak French, then go with ESF. Otherwise go with Oxygene.

Forgive me commenting, but 3 is quite young to be left in Ski School.
I know this seems standard in France, and maybe i was a particularly soft parent.
But you will be leaving your children with a load of strangers, and in March it will still be quite cold in the morning . . .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Our daughter started at 3 with ESF in Flaine and had a blast. No problems with language. If you have 2 3-year-olds then even better for company
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you all so much, really appreciate taking the time to get back to me. Great to know other 3 year olds have enjoyed ski school.

@Jonpim, I have spoken to Oxygene and their ski school for 3 year olds like nursery - they go outdoors for skiing in the ski garden and also do indoor activities and games. Their staff are vetted and in our case, both 3 year olds toilet independently (as well as have each other for company) which is why I am considering it. I would confirm ESF are on a par before booking as I agree with not having them standing outside all morning, especially if they are refusing to participate. When yours were 3, did you do private lessons or they did not ski?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another thing to say is that while ESF instructors at the adult level can be a mixed bag in terms of attitude, for the kids they select from amongst the more 'sympa' end of the instructor spectrum in my experience.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Our daughter start at ESF at 2 1/2 years old.... More a nursery than real ski lesson despite she had great time... Now she is 10 and in december she will attend an ESF Slalom training ! So never to early to start !
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowwithkids, all kids are different, develop at different rates, and some take to being "abandonned" better then others.
Daughter started at ESF Courchevel aged 4. Feb half term. Hated it. (no one spoke English). Introduction to skiing saved by Private lessons with wonderful ESF lady.
Thereafter went with Ski Esprit who organised ski school, so skiing with other UK kids from chalet. Loved it.
Son started at 3yrs with Ski-School-of-Mum. Knocked back a bit by (seemingly) unkind instructor in Vujanay. But then fine with Ski Esprit. (Chalet Mont Blanc in Monthchavin, now sadly no more).

Oxygene's mixture of ski and play sounds perfect. I'm sure your 3 year olds will be fine.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you all. Private lesson for all 3 in one was a consideration but I have been holding back from this in case the 3 year olds are a little young (in which case the ski play mix is better suited) and the 5 year old takes to it instantly (probable knowing her personality and general affinity for sports) and is then held back by young siblings. In our case, Mum and Dad are not good enough to teach but will certainly be taking them up once they have done the basics with instructors.

5 year old will have no issue going to ski school, hoping the 3 year olds will be happy because they are going together rather than alone!

Thanks to pandemic this is the first time we are on the slopes post children so not tried Espirit/Club Med. We are going to book a chalet this time as travelling with another couple who don't have children and not so keen on staying somewhere with lots of them in addition to ours but both companies are on the list when it is just us in the future!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowwithkids, I think you have got it about right.
3 year olds usually very different than 5 year old. They will prefer the play and ski set-up. Your 5 year old will soon be skiing better than you.

For us we either went with a company who provided child care and stayed in catered chalet. Best was when creche was in same building, then we could quietly leave at breakfast, and staff took over. Kids didn't really notice our absence.
Other set-up that worked well was sharing self catered chalet/apartment with another similar family with similar aged kids. We then shared childcare: one couple skied, other couple childcare. Handover at lunchtime.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I definitely wouldn't take absolute beginner kids on a chairlift, let alone two chairlifts. But I'd much prefer not to take them on a bus, either. The ski lessons which are within easy walk of your accommodation are probably a better bet, regardless of other considerations, than those which are a schlep to get to, and an even worse schlep to get back from, with tired, fractious kids.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ask Oxygene if you can use their free minibus service (with you accompanying the children)
https://www.oxygene.ski/portfolio-item/minibus-service/
I used it when staying in La Plagne 1800 two years ago, and had morning lessons with Oxygene in Plagne Centre.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’ve done exactly the same trip as you are describing - but with 1 adult and 1 child. It was several years ago though.

I used Oxygene ski school for my son and couldn’t fault them. Indeed they conducted pick ups around 1800 in the morning. The staff we all excellent.

Defo agree that the chair lift options would be a bad idea - risky abs totally no need.

Go for it - if the weather is fine the kids will love it.

Be careful though - you may be starting a rather expensive annual family holiday! Very Happy
snow conditions
Thank you all - if we did chairlift with children, it would have been after they had learnt the basics but if its 2 lifts plus walk, not realistic even if they can ski.
Good to know about Oxygene transport, leaning towards them for younger 2 because of the ski-play option but will try find out more about Piou Piou first.

Definitely about to set a trend for an expensive addictive family holiday but after 6 years of no skiing, we are desperate to get back onto the slopes!!
latest report
Have you been to La Plagne before? Plagne 1800 is perhaps a nicer location for complete beginners than Plagne Centre. It is quieter, more sheltered, and the novice slope is immediately adjacent to the ski school. Not sure exactly where beginner lessons take place in Plagne Centre, but it seem more likely to involve walks to/from bus stop, meeting point, lunch spot, slopes etc
ski holidays
Just to add I would avoid using the chairlift or resort bus to ski school both are fine but its one more thing to think about when getting children to ski school on top of the usual.

Also check the times of ski school and busses/chair. The chair may not open in time for you to make the ski school meeting time. Likewise I think there is an earlier seasonaires bus that went straight to plan centre but otherwise the resort bus would go via bellecote adding a bit of time on.
snow report
Thank you both. We have been to La Plagne (and stayed at 1800) but it was a while before we had children so we paid absolutely no attention to logistics involving children! If we go for Plagne Centre lessons, it will be Oxygene who pick us up so that makes things easier first thing but certainly need to consider getting back to 1800 at the end of the day too
ski holidays
snowwithkids, the bus goes straight down to Plagne 1800 from Plagne Centre, so end-of-day not really a problem.
After ski school take kids straight into cafe for hot chocolate and waffles (or whatever is their favourite), then trip back down to Plagne 1800 will be full of smiles and contentment.
Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy