Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboard for Daughter - NEED ADVICE PLEASE

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Help with SNOWBOARD SIZE for my Daughter for her first snowboard. She has been skiing but is moved to Snowboarding last year. I'm torn on the size. She is 125 lbs and 5'6". Should I go with a 149cm or shorter. She likes control of the board. Going to try out the Nitro Lectra or Arbor Ethos. I've read those are both good boards for beginners. She only gets on the snow about 5 days a year. Thanks for the advice!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@starburst1208, welcome to Snowheads.

If she is only getting on the snow 5 days a year I would hire a board.

The shop will advice on right size.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Laynes right about getting kit just yet, although always try to find a decent hire shop which won't just throw some clunker Head board at you with some bindings that weigh more than the moon - but to answer your question, 149 would be at the upper range for your daughter's weight, particularly if she's not that far down her progression route yet - I'd suggest something mid-140 possibly lower.

And welcome to SH
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
5 days?
buy her boots & rent.
£74 to take a board on easyjet, £90 on RyanAir
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
All of the above +1!

If your daughter has only recently switched from skis to a board then she may still have some way to go in developing her confidence. When she is more confident, she may want a board more suited to the park or for shredding the piste.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The problem with buying a beginner board is that you're not a beginner for long.
Hire boards are the way to go initially, but they can be generic.
The main thing you want is a board thats soft and forgiving, and won't spit you out.
Size wise, if she is 165 tall then 152 would be the biggest, but for her weight then 142-146 would be better.
If you can, try and get a (near) symmetrical board so she can learn riding switch with confidence.
Any entry level freestyle board should tick these boxes, like @Richard_Sideways, says, don't accept the first stuff the hire shop offers, but in peak season there might not be tons of choice.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for buying her well-fitting boots and hire a board for the first couple of trips
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would add K2 to the mix. And the First Lite would be my choice.
(In a 146cm, or maybe even 142cm.)
This is their entry-level women's board.
K2's female-specific snowboards have been excellent (and under-rated) for some years - I'm on my third from the range, and have loved them for the last decade. I like the Spot Lite so much I now have two...
Crucially, for me at least, they are wonderfully easy to ride even if you are not heavy/super powerful unlike Jones etc.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
History of The Grom...

First skis at three and a half - Atomics 90cms 30:00gbp on eBay
By age nine and a half, holding an edge on blue water ice, where all others are going sideways - on 130 Armadas 90:00 new on eBay
Age 11 and a half begins to snowboard - on a Head 130 park board board bought for 30.00 on eBay then when it goes well gets a new Rome Mini Agent in 130cms - then sold on here
Age 12 and a half gets a Rome mini Agent in 140 for Christmas - which is sold to a good guy here at the end of the season
Age 14 and a half gets a Jones Mind Expander 148 (from Germany, 400 gbp) and a second hand Rome park board (from eBay 40:00 gbp)
Age 16 and a half gets a 152 Capita DOA for Christmas.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@starburst1208, if you're still looking to buy a board for your daughter, this Roxy board could be a good choice, it's also a reasonable price in the January sales:

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Roxy_Sugar_Womens_Hybrid_Camber_Snowboard_146cm_2020-(255235)

My regular board is a Jones Twin Sister (152) which is great, but wanted something more playful/fun so bought a 2017/18 Roxy sugar (144) and have found it fits the bill really well. I'm 5' 6", with size 6 feet and 147 pounds.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don’t know if you have bought anything yet but how old is your daughter and what is her riding style?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have ME/CFS so get tired pretty easily, which means I need a board that can be pretty forgiven when tired... Thanks to subvert I trialed a load of boards and settled on a Rome Heist...

Flexible, playful, fun to ride... I'd highly recommend one

https://romesnowboards.com/products/rome-heist-snowboard-2021-2022
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
starburst1208 wrote:
Help with SNOWBOARD SIZE for my Daughter for her first snowboard. She has been skiing but is moved to Snowboarding last year. I'm torn on the size. She is 125 lbs and 5'6". Should I go with a 149cm or shorter. She likes control of the board. Going to try out the Nitro Lectra or Arbor Ethos. I've read those are both good boards for beginners. She only gets on the snow about 5 days a year. Thanks for the advice!

@starburst1208 I have a Nitro Lectra that's about 10 years old with K2 bindings that I would happily donate for the price of postage or you can pick up from Leicester? Been in the garage for years so will deffo need a service but you are more than welcome to it as the wife has taken up skiing now. Let me know if you want any more details.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy