Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fritschi Tecton 12 bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
HI folks .
I've had Tecton 12 bindings on my touring skis for a few years and i'm still a little nervous of them not releasing if/when required .
I bought them as the 'safest pin binding' and Din rated and i'm still waiting for them to prove the claim . The only time they have ejected me is messing around with the kids on a track through trees when i hooked a branch and left a ski behind. This was at relatively low speed but it left me with a pulled calf muscle and a couple of days off . Ive reduced the din slightly from 8 to 7.5 on both front and rear settings but i don't want to go to low and suffer premature ejection in heavy snow etc . ( 75kg/5'8")
Does anyone have experience of these for re-assurance ?
I've suffered my fair share of broken bones over the last few years ,fortunately not skiing tho'

Thanks , Dave
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Tectons are excellent and I've torque tested quite a few sets and all have been spot on. The "safest pin binding" is just marketing though as it depends what you mean by safe. They release laterally at the toe (like alpine bindings) whereas all other tech bindings (apart from the Vipec/Evo which share the same toe binding) release laterally at the heel. A lateral release at the toe will give slightly better protection against a tib/fib fracture versus a lateral release from the heel - whereas for soft tissue (ACL/MCL) protection it's the other way around. So it depends what you mean by "safest". Every skier I know that's blown their knee has done it in an alpine binding.

scarbski wrote:
........The only time they have ejected me is messing around with the kids on a track through trees when i hooked a branch and left a ski behind. This was at relatively low speed but it left me with a pulled calf muscle and a couple of days off. Ive reduced the din slightly from 8 to 7.5 on both front and rear settings......

That type of release would have been a forward/vertical release out of the heel binding. For someone of you're stats I'd imagine that your bsl is going to be between 291-310mm and assuming that your under 50 yrs old then your 8 din setting is for a type III skier, ie "skis aggressively" and "normally skis at high speed". If that's the case then the sudden total stop of one ski at low speed can mean that you just didn't have the momentum for a clean release. And 7.5 is still a reasonably aggressive setting for your stats assuming you're not hucking etc.

I know a number of people that have had calf injuries from minor tweaks like yours to a major tear that requires surgery. In all cases their boots were too big resulting in their heel lifting within the boot to some extent before it starts pulling the boot out of the binding. This lift within the boot results in a change of geometry of the lower leg meaning that the foot is now trying to pull the boot forward as opposed to upwards. One of the symptoms of this is if you suffered bruising to the back of your heel, although this is not always the case. So do a shell check on your boots (over 20mm is too big) and if that's ok check for heel lift/excessive volume.

And if you think that you've been left with a weak calf muscle you could always reduce the heel setting a tad more.

And another thing to consider when selecting your release (DIN) settings is that they're not tablets of stone, once set never to be adjusted. I've got many customers that are mighty fine/aggressive skiers who request type III/Type III+ settings and when they describe their skiing, or even show me some video, then I'd concur. However on a number of occasions a bit of questioning from me has revealed that yes, that's how they ski when on a mates trip etc but when on a family holiday they're chaperoning their kids etc - or they ski aggressively in the morning when the kids are in ski school and then are skiing with the kids after lunch - and tootling around on greens'n'blues makes them a type I skier. Same for ski instructors with bindings set for their skiing but who are then snow ploughing on the nursery slopes with total beginners. There's a reason why there's a few screwdrivers hanging around at lift stations!

Lincoln is only up the road from me so if your concerned about the functionality of your binding then I can torque test 'em for you.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 23-11-21 1:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon wrote:

And another thing to consider when selecting your release (DIN) settings is that they're not tablets of stone, once set never to be adjusted. I've got many customers that are mighty fine/aggressive skiers who request type III/Type+ settings and when they describe their skiing, or even show me some video, then I'd concur. However on a number of occasions a bit of questioning from me has revealed that yes, that's how they ski when on a mates trip etc but when on a family holiday they're chaperoning their kids etc - or they ski aggressively in the morning when the kids are in ski school and then are skiing with the kids after lunch - and tootling around on greens'n'blues makes them a type I skier. Same for ski instructors with bindings set for their skiing but who are then snow ploughing on the nursery slopes with total beginners. There's a reason why there's a few screwdrivers hanging around at lift stations!

That is an absolute pearl of wisdom, which I shall pass on to Mrs t_m before she starts teaching this season. She often spends mornings teaching beginners or early intermediates, then skis 8km home for lunch at about Mach 1 (her normal skiing speed). This actually deserves its own thread to be honest. Thanks!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great explanation and advice , Thankyou . A torque test sounds sensible if just to reassure me that all is ok .
I’ll msg you today and book in . Hopefully get skis serviced as well Eh oh!
I did just check the settings as i was working from memory . They are now at 6.5 so they would’ve been at 7 ( as set by yourself) .
Thanks, D
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've skied Tectons for a good few years and have come out of them on a fair number of occasions.

However, the OH has had two occasions similar to what you describe, however she is light 53kg and 170 and we think the Din 5 lowest setting of the Tecton (her boots fit her) is the issue, so she's now moved to the Xenic which are 4.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ahh , good to know ! Not that you’ve had a few ‘offs’ but that the bindings disconnected ok .
Thanks . D
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I’ve skied on tectons for a couple of seasons and they’ll take some proper punishment considering their use. No problem with reasonable drops and I’ve found the release is predictable and consistent (although I’m not super heavy - 74kg sans kit). Slow falls give the biggest risk of twisting injuries IMHO (and personal experience!).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good reviews, thanks folks .
I've dropped skis in with spyderjon for a service and to re-check binding torque settings .
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy