Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shell modification - to stretch or to grind?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have picked up a pair of Carv inserts and even though they are 2mm thick - I have noticed there is added pressure along the 5th metatarsal - which was already an area that was under questionable pressure requiring me to release the buckles on the clog at times when on the lifts, or in queues etc.

Talking through with a boot fitter, my initial thought was to stretch the shell slightly to generate the extra space - no issue on the instep - the bootfiter also suggested we could look at grinding down the boot board - I'm a bit critical of the latter as while this would accommodate the extra height taken up by the carv insert, I see this as doing very little to actually impact the lateral width across, which was already problematic, - Lange LV shell so not heat moldable to get the space that way - I'm hesitant on the grinding the boot board - feel it will achieve less, more permanent, and could go wrong and mess the ramp angles up.

Would appreciate thoughts
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
Lange LV shell so not heat moldable to get the space that way

Why do you think it isn't heat moldable? A bootfitter will be able to stretch it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rjs wrote:
Quote:
Lange LV shell so not heat moldable to get the space that way

Why do you think it isn't heat moldable? A bootfitter will be able to stretch it.

My understanding was Lange dual-core boots are not heat moldable - I could be wrong :s
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can't see an issue with either stretching or grinding in that area, the duel core plastic is designed to aid rebound when the boot is flexed at the 5th met I can't see it having an impact. If it's a very specific point a grind is the way to go or if it's a more general area then it's a stretch, follow the advice from your fitter ......
As for a baseboard grind why not see if you can get a spare set of baseboards in case you remove the Carv then if it doesn't work you've still got a new set?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

My understanding was Lange dual-core boots are not heat moldable

No. They will stretch. I've had a couple of fitters punch both boots in various places, inc 5th met and the punches have held well with no negative impacts on the boot.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just noticed your post.

I just posted this in the other Carv thread ... it may help ...

I had a nightmare trying to fit my Carvs in my boots!
The top of my foot, where it meets my ankle, is unusually high. This also makes my medial malleolus high.
Just getting boots to fit is a major mission.
This issue means that anything that raises the height of my foot crushes it into the top of the boot. This is a problem without any additional inserts.
The addition of the Carv insert was clearly not going to work.
In order to create enough room for the Carv I had to remove the boot baseplate which adds about 3mm of height, cut a replacement heal insert from wood and superglue a strong 1mm flat insole to it, cut to boot size.
I then took my custom insoles, which added quit a bit of height, and sanded as much as I dared off the bottom to drop my foot as much as possible.
I am absolutely no boot expert, so I began these alterations with some trepidation, but I was spured on having watched an extensive video from a boot fitting guru who said not to be scared to try adjustng your own boots.
The results were impressive. Not only does the Carv now fit perfectly but, with the extra alterations, the boots generally fit me much better.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@gorilla, just to be clear - you're saying they will stretch if heated - I don't doubt they will - but won't that damage the integrity of the plastic?

Seems punching - stretching (non heated) is the way to go.

@FoofyNoo, Yeah I saw this - do you mind sharing the video please
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@barracuda, CEM just got out his heat gun and punched it like a regular boot.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@barracuda, how can you stretch without heating the plastic? I've never heard of anyone doing that! Certain plastics need special care, induction heat maybe or very gentle heat monitored with a infrared thermometer and I'm pretty sure there will be guidance from each individual manufacturer (they know their boots are going to be modified) the cooling of the boot is just as important to make sure the stretch "holds"
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy