Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggest me an Austrian resort

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys.

I'm looking for a different resort in Austria than the ones I'm used to.
It's gonna be an extended weekend in mid-March and I'll go by car, so no need to worry about how to get there.
I have already been to Solden, Saalbach-Hinterglemm and Kirchberg, I'm looking for on-piste only. Nice aprés-ski is a plus snowHead

Any tips ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fiss

Part of Serfaus- Fiss-Ladis area.

Ladis is small and only one run down to it (looks pretty though with the castle above the town).

Serfaus did have a few TO’s going there pre Covid, not sure of present situation. It’s probably the more modern type of resort architecturally out of the 3 and I thinks it’s the biggest.

Fiss is where we’ve stayed 3 times, loved it’s not too well known by Brits, big enough with some swanky hotels but restaurants in the village were few and far between.

Lots of good mountain restaurants in the area, really get a sense of ‘travelling’ around the resorts instead of just the same runs each day.
Easy transfers but accommodation wasn’t as cheap as some Austrian resorts but they do tend to be more spacious (everywhere is more spacious than France Eh oh! ).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@oldsnowy, sounds nice!
If I understand correctly, the 3 areas are connected, something like Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang-Fiberbrun ?
According to their website, 214km of slopes, that's pretty good! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AndreSilva, Serfaus is good (it is one area), not particularly hot for apres (back properly from 05.03) more aimed at families . It is one of the biggest areas in Austria (both area & visitor numbers) but is generally ignored by Brits for some reason, lots of Dutch though. For more party try Ischgl, similar skiing. If you have the budget then Lech is great, St Anton better for apres (assuming you not after champagne & canapes) but not so good if you just want to piste cruise, the Arlberg is the best and biggest area in Austria but wont appeal to all. The Zillertal has a lot of skiing from Fügen to the glacier at Hintertux, easy access from the autobahn. The Montafon area in the Voralrberg is another less known "big" area though it is spread across a number of villages, close to the the Arlberg so often has similar snow conditions with less people (easy road access via Bregenz).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AndreSilva wrote:
@oldsnowy, sounds nice!
If I understand correctly, the 3 areas are connected, something like Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang-Fiberbrun ?

Yep, all connected quite well, and most importantly they have a good, fast, well integrated lift system.
I think the area to the west of Serfaus is basically the back of the mountain which Ischgl is on?

Fiss is quite a steep sided resort so it can be bit of an effort to get up to the gondolas, just try to be aware of that when you look for accommodation.

There are a few apres bars, besides the excellent Hexenalm at the bottom of the slopes there is also Hackls Kaller bar in the village which is good but used to be smokey at times.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@munich_irish, why do you think St Anton is not so good for piste cruise ?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@AndreSilva, it's an off piste mecca and alot of the pistes are left ungroomed or very little grooming
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wagrain
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ischgl ticks all the boxes. 238kms of piste, snow sure and used to have great apres prior to Covid. Your only issue might be getting accommodation for anything less than a week but in these strange times its probably more likely that you could.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
AndreSilva wrote:
@oldsnowy, sounds nice!

408km if you include Zell (and Kaprun). The former is reasonably connected (did it today, 168 is open). Kaprun not connected and a bus journey

https://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/en/activities/winter/skiing/ski-resorts
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@AndreSilva, I’ve been several times to Serfaus Fiss Ladis, St Anton Lech Zurs, Ischgl, Saalbach & Mayrhofen. For a few days of good interesting groomers I’d recommend Ischgl.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ischgl should be on your list. Great on piste skiing and great apres.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowspace Salzburg - Flachau/Wagrain/Alpendorf plus Flachauwinkel/Zauchensee via the Panoramabahn.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mayrhofen has got a large number of absolutely fabulous red runs. Decent apres scene too, it’s a mini town.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Silvretta Montafon! Arguably the most underrated ski area worldwide..c300km of Pistes including the satellite areas of Brandnertal, Golm & Gargellen. Snowsure & everything from wide blues to serious & technical ski routes + plenty of lift accessed off piste comparable with St Anton..Ok I live 20 mins away & ski there at least 70 days a season..so am biased but even so..
ski holidays
..coincidentally, I've just come back from an excellent day skiing in Serfaus...but imho Silvretta Montafon is even better in every way..
latest report
Munich Irish - thanks for the plug for Montafon but you presumably mean "easy road access via Bludenz" ( & NOT "Bregenz" which is 50 Km away auf dem Bodensee!)...
latest report
Bytw I live in Bludenz but visit Bregenz for the "seaside air & culture" about once a week..!
snow report
Munich Irish - thanks for the plug for Montafon but you presumably mean "easy road access via Bludenz" ( & NOT "Bregenz" which is 50 Km away auf dem Bodensee!)...
snow conditions
@Bergsteiger278, I meant Bregenz as the OP is coming from Holland, so aim for Bregenz rather than further east. Before the second bore of the Pfändertunnel opened there were horrendous traffic jams at weekends, lots of Dutch! But yes Bludenz is clearly the nearest big town, a nice spot from my brief visit.
ski holidays
Thank you all for the tips!

Based on what you all said, I think Ischgl would be the best option.
Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis also looks very good but apparently, Ischgl has more options of blue runs for my friends that are still beginners.

snowHead
latest report
Well SFL has more blue runs as Ischgl and definitely easier (no1 priority are the children)
however is not so "compact"
for a long weekend better to Ischgl
In Sefaus FIss Ladis you need more time to "travel" round in the skiarea
snow conditions
AndreSilva wrote:
Thank you all for the tips!

Based on what you all said, I think Ischgl would be the best option.
Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis also looks very good but apparently, Ischgl has more options of blue runs for my friends that are still beginners.

snowHead

Hmm - not THAT many blues. A few around Idalp - only one really easy one, and some more over on the Swiss side. Ischgl is very much a red resort with a good sprinkling of black

One of the easiest resorts around is Obergurgl - very high proportion of blues and very rarely cut up as the traffic isn't that heavy and the slopes are high; still almost as easy to ski them last thing as first. Ischgl much busier and moguls up quite easily. Obergurgl smaller resort than Ischgl, though Solden is on the same pass and just 20 mins away. The blues above GIggijoch are great - one huge wide open rolling run, never the same route down twice
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy