Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A5 or A31 Troyes to Dijon champagne stop

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're heading to La Tzoumaz for Mas this year, stopping overnight in Troyes. We'd like to pick up some champagne/wine on the route from Troyes to resort. Any recommendations for a good shop near the road that we can stop off at? Also keen on recommendations for champagne that tastes good but not too pricey! I don’t want to take a tour etc,just a quick pit stop to stock up for 10 days in resort.
Thank you
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What time do you plan on getting to Troyes ? Supermarkets in Reims have a good selection of champagne.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes - a supermarket seems the best bet to me. You might find a few euros off at one of the champagne houses, but at considerable cost in time. If completely confused about what to buy (like I would be) ask one of the supermarket's wine people for a recommendation.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The idea of stopping somewhere and buying from a cave direct sounds appealing, but the variety and great value of the fizz on offer in all the big supermarkets over xmas and NY means a diversion just isnt worth it in my book.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Renside You could also try the mega E.Leclerc at Reims Champfleury if you have other stuff to shop for. It's on the A4 Jct.23*, 270 Kms from Calais. Also a good place to top-up with cheaper petrol than on the autoroute. As mentioned, either buy from a supermarket or your hotel may also sell selected local Champagnes that you can add to your overnight bill. Buying from the caves is more a summer thing, and even then, may only be by appointment or at limited times.

When we drive to La Tzoumaz, we go via Besançon and Pontarlier to the Swiss border at Creux and then to the lakeside at Lausanne. There are other routes such as via Champagnole, but we've found that while these are scenic in summer, they are quite difficult in winter, and involve more 'B' roads. The all-autoroute option is to continue south and not turn off the French motorway until Macon for Bourg-en-Bresse and then go past Geneva to get to Lausanne, but that's quite a bit extra kms, although I'd consider it if there were heavy snow conditions, as it's all motorway.

Ideally, you'll have winter tyres or all-seasons and in any event, chains. Like anywhere, some of the apartment and chalet parking can involve steep drives that may need chains.

Without wishing to be presumptuous, we have an apartment in La Tzoumaz and our website has a section with various downloads for clients, including driving routes; shopping options en route, where to hire, and the layout of the village and its bars and amenities etc. See Résidence Laforêt. The Photos section has some winter shots to get you in the mood and give you an idea of the place. Document LTZ1 describes the main Calais-La Tzoumaz routes and LTZ2 has more local maps for the route around Lake Geneva and Martigny, to Riddes and the 13 Km road up to the village itself. LTZ4 is the village guide.

Note there's no petrol station in the village itself, but there is a 24h self-service station in Riddes, which is where you come off the A9 autoroute (Jct.24) for the drive up to the village (see the LTZ2 Guide). Similarly, if you need a pharmacy, there's one in Riddes but not in the village. As of our last visit in August, there still wasn't an ATM in the village, so make sure you have any cash needed. Most places also take €uros but not really at a great rate: it's usually better to use CHF, although most take debit/credit cards, including the mountain cafés/restaurants.

You'll need an autoroute vignette which you buy at the border, petrol stations and shops. Police are hot on picking-up anyone on the autoroute without one. ViaMichelin adds 1½~2 hours to the Swiss leg of the journey if you try and manage without going on autoroutes, so for me, the CHF 40 is worth it, even for one holiday. It lasts through the calendar year and January of the following year. There are no short-stay options.

For on piste breaks and lunch, I'd recommend Chez Simon which is an independent café/restaurant near the base of the 6-man chairlift up to the summit of the Savoleyres (pronounced 'savv-oh-lairs'). You'll see it on your left as you ascend in the gondola up from La Tzoumaz. The wines are from their own vineyards down in the valley around Riddes. I can recommend the Croute aux champignons as a hearty meal or in the afternoon they cook tarte which are nice with a glass of vin chaud - this is also a favourite of mine, as they tend to make it tart/spicy, rather than over-sweet.

I'd also recommend you take out the CHF 5/day assurance ("Avec assurance, SVP") which will cover you for heli-evac and on-piste assistance in the event of an accident (even with travel insurance, it avoids having to pay out for the £100/minute helicopter ride and then the admin of claiming it back).

A good place to rent is Monnet Sports in the centre. You can often get an advance discount if you book through SKISET. But there are others such as Intersport and Tzoum'Evasion.

If you are some distance from the télécabine, you can also rent heated indoor lockers in the Résidence La Tzoumaz building opposite. If you have an electric vehicle, this building also houses the main underground car park with charging points. This is also where the main supermarket is. It has a butcher an bakery inside and is where you'll probably go in the morning for your bread and croissants.

*Correction from original post 16.11.21 which wrongly said Jct.17 for some reason.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 23-11-21 11:09; edited 12 times in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Go local:

https://germanier.com/en/shop/brut-du-valais-2/

... just up the road from you.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, as @bobski62 says, there's a perfectly good local champenoise - Germanier is usually on sale in the village supermarket, but this isn't guaranteed, plus up the mountain, there will obviously be a bit of a premium compared to buying in the valley.

There's a winery in Riddes which also has a large retail outlet as well - Les Fils Maye. It's near the station, a few hundred metres down from the 24h Eni petrol station. We replenished our basement stock from here back in August. They also have their own fizzy called «Chatelline» at CHF 22.50 [£18] a bottle. Mainstream wines are around CHF 15-19 (£12-£15) a bottle, but they have other more expensive ranges as well.

Be aware that 50cl bottles («cinquantes») are quite popular for sharing between two, so don't mistake such for a a full 75cl bottle.

And speaking of wines, the Valais wines are an undiscovered treasure. Although the steep terraces make harvesting relatively more expensive. Some varieties of grape are not know elsewhere and genetically have their origin across the mountains in Italy - thought to have been imported by the Romans and to have escaped the great French wine blight of the C19 by being so remote. Examples of such autochtonal wines are Humagne Rouge and Diolinoir reds and Petite Arvine whites. But they aren't cheap, so if you're after wine to knock back it's perhaps worth picking some up en route through France.

There are also pretty good local beers as well, like Cardinal, Feldschlösschen and Valaisanne (actually, owned by Carlsberg) plus the usual microbreweries. Notwithstanding that i like these, I still usually pick up some Pelforth Brune en route in France.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We also regularly use the E.Leclerc at Reims Champfleury suggested by LaForet above for petrol/food/booze/rest stop (but my route notes say it's the Epernay junction 23 off the A4).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Be aware that 50cl bottles («cinquantes») are quite popular for sharing between two

I do wish this civilised idea would catch on here.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ouiski You are right - thanks for the correction. It's Junction 23 signposted Épernay southbound on the A4. No idea how I got that wrong but probably using my fading memory instead of actually double-checking. For the OP - the correct details are in the LTZ1 Guide on the Downloads section of the website.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 22-11-21 19:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, I like them if I am dining alone and I feel self conscious about ordering a full bottle for myself Embarassed
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also remember the import limits!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Renside, We used to stop off at champagne Colin in Vertus when driving back to the UK as we like their champagnes and we thought it well worth the 20 minute drive from the A26 to stock up.
Not sure if I'd make the detour for 10 days worth though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all. I will look for a supermarket after Troyes as we won’t arrive until late and don’t want to delay this by stopping at Reims. Has anyone successfully used click and collect in France or Switzerland? Thanks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy