Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'Huez, Oz, Vaujany, Auris & Villard Reculas 21/22

Poster: A snowHead
silentice wrote:
the taxi actually makes it cheaper to get a package holiday.. so that's another option.

I'm feeling super excited to say we're booked to come out in mid March! We did go for a package in the end, through Crystal. With a free child place the flights and transfers effectively cost about £300 for the 3 of us vs the same apartment listed on booking.Com. Crazy really.

Regarding childcare, I'll update what we find. although my initial search of the forum didn't find anything, Google brought up an old post which gave us some leads. There's also a resort nursery who we'll contactm. my wife's French and although the information was all in French, it wasn't clear whether we must block book the whole week or can take 1 or 2 individual sessions. Assuming they have space.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cheeky day off today so ski with kids day. Pistes lovely around Villard and ADH, hard packed but good. Probably only 2 major dumps this season but all good.

Some fresh stuff for February holiday would make for fantastic conditions.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi we are planning to head to Vaujany first week in March. My daughter will only have one vaccine and will need to test every 24hrs for pass sanitaire. Does anyone know how far we would have to travel to nearest pharmacy for daily testing? I was hopeful for testing in Vaujany itself or even Allemond but online it looks like closest is Bourg D'Oisan. Any help much appreciated thanks
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Kandahar1, there's a pharmacy at the bottom of the main lifts in Alpe d Huez (Berger Medical centre). Super efficient
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks so much, that might work for us, my only worry is if she tests positive she would be stuck in alpe d'huez unable to ski back to Vaujany? I suppose if that happened we could drive round and collect her. Maybe with Vaujany being small they may not have a testing area in the village.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There is a pharmacy in Allemond which does tests if that helps.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Kandahar1, they email the results after 20 minutes... so I'm sure you'll be back in Vaujany before you get to check your phone!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Brilliant thanks so much for your help. I thought we'd have to wait around. We might not be back in 20 mins but far enough away for them to catch us Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anyone out in ADH know whether Tunnel is open?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think they have been working on it to open it soon.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Alpinebear, Cheers.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There clearly wasn't enough snow for it to open when we were there on 22 Jan. We could see the tunnel exit from the Pic Blanc cable car and there were a load of exposed rocks just below it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@denfinella, Not much new snow in the forecast either. Oh well, never mind Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tunnel is open, well it was on Tuesday!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quick question - on the status page https://www.alpedhuez.com/en/winter/open-lifts-and-slopes/ does anyone know what do the different status' mean? There's no key nor further explanation, For example what's the difference between Out of Period, Closed and Opening Forecast?

Also is there an interactive map anywhere? They seem to have one in their app but not available on their website. It's also hard to find a working link to their PDF piste map, I found it eventually but I don't get the impression they have paid much attention to the English version of their site nor the app, lots of broken/incorrect links or random French sections. Perhaps they weren't expecting visitors Twisted Evil ?!
latest report
Out of period = peak times only(holidays)
Closed = closed
Opening forecast = is waiting to open

Skipass.alpedhuez.com/hiver then click on plan des pistes for desktop version. App is better on mobile.
snow conditions
Alpinebear wrote:
Out of period = peak times only(holidays)
Closed = closed
Opening forecast = is waiting to open

Skipass.alpedhuez.com/hiver then click on plan des pistes for desktop version. App is better on mobile.

Thanks, rolling eyes of course rolling eyes the map would be in the ski pass section

So further to your description -
peak times only(holidays) - Christmas, Feb/Mar HT window and Easter?
Opening forecast = is waiting to open - Is this typically for the current day? or would it show in anticipation of a number of days in advance?
Closed - is this both a long term and short term status; for example a piste/lift is unusable because of inclement weather/maintenance/lack of snow cover/ temporary emergency/ closed until further notice.
snow report
@silentice,

Today the tunnel was forecast for opening around 13h00. The Pic Blanc cable car was forecast for 10h00

La fuma piste in Auris is closed due lack of snow I think.

The Lièvre Blanc lift is only open at peak times ie For school holidays.
ski holidays
Alpinebear wrote:
@silentice,

Today the tunnel was forecast for opening around 13h00. The Pic Blanc cable car was forecast for 10h00

La fuma piste in Auris is closed due lack of snow I think.

The Lièvre Blanc lift is only open at peak times ie For school holidays.

Thanks for the update Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quick one, did there used to be a red run "la mine" that split off from Campanules and ended in the Sarenne valley approximately where the lift Chalvet starts? I've been looking at FatMap and among a few other differences this is marked so wondered if there was once a run here, or perhaps it's an unofficial route.
snow report
@silentice, yes. No longer an official piste, probably because it rarely had good snow cover.
ski holidays
Mask no longer needed in ski pass and lift queues except when you have to queue inside a building i.e marmottes 2
snow report
Thanks, @Alpinebear and @denfinella for previous answers
ski holidays
Alpinebear wrote:
Mask no longer needed in ski pass and lift queues except when you have to queue inside a building i.e marmottes 2

Not my experience this past week. Many outside lift queues (e.g. marmottes 1 and others) were requiring masks to be worn. So much so that the lifties were stopping people from progressing through the gates until they put their masks up. There was a fierce confrontation between one bloke who kept refusing the request to put his mask on and pushed the female lifty out of the way to access the gate. Unfortunately once through the gate he was confronted by an older and more resolute female lifty. She threatened to have his pass removed if he didn't put his mask on. He gave in eventually having held up the lift queue for a time. Of course, once on the chair lifts, masks came down. There were also random spot checks on Pass Sanitaire in lift queues.

PS, they could do with more snow.

PPS the one time we tried to access Tunnel they closed it as we got to the entrance.

PPPS apols for drifting Toofy Grin
ski holidays
[quote="halfhand"]
Alpinebear wrote:
Unfortunately once through the gate he was confronted by an older and more resolute female lifty. She threatened to have his pass removed if he didn't put his mask on. He gave in eventually having held up the lift queue for a time.

Didn't you mean to write fortunately?

No matter what you think about masks and anti-covid measures.
No-one should get away with anti-social behaviour, especially using brute force and intimidate people who are just doing their job.
snow conditions
Marmotte 1 has cabins as well as chairs so maybe that was the reason along with the law change was last Wednesday.

On a happier note it's been snowing all afternoon!
ski holidays
@Alpinebear, Possibly but separate queues for Cabin and Chairs and Marmottes 1 wasn't the only chair lift where mask wearing was attempting to be enforced. Anyway, mask wearing was generally well observed in my opinion but we are drifting OT.
snow conditions
@Onnem, I think he means unfortunately for the maskless bloke.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="Onnem"]
halfhand wrote:
Alpinebear wrote:
Unfortunately once through the gate he was confronted by an older and more resolute female lifty. She threatened to have his pass removed if he didn't put his mask on. He gave in eventually having held up the lift queue for a time.

Didn't you mean to write fortunately?

No matter what you think about masks and anti-covid measures.
No-one should get away with anti-social behaviour, especially using brute force and intimidate people who are just doing their job.

Yes possibly, The guy was being a dick. His wife was masked and they had their small child with them. He should have set a better example.
latest report
@skitow, That too.
snow report
@halfhand, Sounds like you were happy with your week in general though ? I have a place in ADH so always interested to hear what people think of the area as you tend to get a bit blind to the downsides when you know every lift and run. The Tunnel is a great piste but for me needs loads of fluffy snow and sun, bit greedy I know but that's just my thoughts Smile
I am sure it does need snow as last substantial snow was well before Christmas I think ?
Could I ask where you stayed just out of interest ?
snow conditions
@skitow, Yes, we had a great time. Even the massive wipe out on La Foret was entertaining (for the others in our group Laughing ).
latest report
Forecast was correct for yesterday with around 30 cm of fresh snow waiting for us this morning.
Unfortunately still windy up top so no access to Pic Blanc.
Had a super morning off piste in Villard. Head along the ridge to the telecoms tower then drop down to Villard Reculas.

ski holidays
How are the pistes looking? Thinking of getting out the weekend after next.
snow report
This time next week I'll be packing my bags ready to head out. After a a long life of skiing this is one place I've yet to ski! Only ever been a summer visitor.

Keep the reports coming please, I'm suffering with a tad of excitement Very Happy
snow conditions
Are normal surgical mask okay in lifts? What about standard buffs? Many thanks
snow conditions
So long as you cover your mouth and nose, the lifties are happy. Two of us had Covid buffs, two had normal ones.
ski holidays
Masks only needed in cabins and queues inside.
Not needed in restaurants, museums etc from today with valid covid passport.
snow conditions
Heading out Saturday ready to hit the snow Sunday!

Any tips...??
snow conditions
Quote:

Any tips...??

Never eat yellow snow
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy