Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste skis for a big guy?

Poster: A snowHead
Evening all,

After a few years off due to a young family I've got my first ski holiday quickly approaching in early January. Due to the break I'm not overly familiar with the range of skis currently available and was wondering if any bigger guys have a recommendation
for a good set of piste skis?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can you give some details to help with suggestions:

Height
Weight
Ability/Level
How fast/aggressive
Ski radius preference ie. Short (11-13m)/Long (18-22m) /Mixture 14 or 15m)
Ski Character preference ie. Stable/Damp vs Playful
What skis have you enjoyed in the past
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Height 6ft / 183cm
Weight 17stone / 107kg
Confident on all pistes
Fairly aggressive and fast
Probably a bit of a mix 14/15m
Id rather something responsive / playful.

I lasted skied on some salomon all mountain skis, around 85mm from memory (about 6 years ago). The week I've got coming up is a week of ski coaching, predominantly based on piste so was thinking they'd need to be piste focused skis as opposed to all mountain which I've previously enjoyed skiing with.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@tomb, I actually think these skis I am selling might be a perfect shout for you all things considered - Have them listed elsewhere on the forum but:

Volkl Code Speedwall 180cm with marker rmotion2 bindings
Used for 5 days - in great condition
£250

Pictures in the post here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=157000#4852256
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's brilliant - and should help people give recommendations.

I am not that familiar with skis for 2022 - but these suggestions might get you looking in the right place. With what you have said, you will be looking for the longest length in any Model.

Stockli Laser SC (if budget isn't an issue)
Dynastar Speed 763
Head eSpeed Performance
Rossignol Hero Elite Plus Ti
Kastle MX 75 (if budget isn't an issue)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 22-11-21 0:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
barracuda wrote:
@tomb, I actually think these skis I am selling might be a perfect shout for you all things considered - Have them listed elsewhere on the forum but:

Volkl Code Speedwall 180cm with marker rmotion2 bindings
Used for 5 days - in great condition
£250

Pictures in the post here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=157000#4852256

I agree - those look perfect and leave a big saving.

Ps. Is it the S or the L version, as I think there are two?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They are the S version - so tighter turn radius than the L
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
barracuda wrote:
They are the S version - so tighter turn radius than the L

Ideal.

I believe either version would be versatile enough for the OP, with the S version being more fun.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The speedwall's are R18.1 per the photos, which is quite a long radius.

I have the Head i.speed 177 and weigh 90 kg. They are excellent but quite damp. I have skied the Dynastar Omeglass and Master versions and thought they were similar but had more rebound, so more playful.

Something with a 13-15M radius and a waist of around 70mm will for the bill for a decent piste ski. Probably 180cm in length for your weight and height if it is a serious piste ski. Maybe a bit longer if it is toned down.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm a heavy guy for my size: 95kg, 1.78m.
I got the Elan Amphibio 18ti at 172cm, love it. It is quite stiff, 2 sheets of metal that makes it good for heavy guys like me.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Klamm Franzer wrote:
The speedwall's are R18.1 per the photos, which is quite a long radius.

I haven't skied on it - but when SCGB tested the S version - I think in a 173 (r=16.5) - they said that it felt very much like it focused on Short Turns (it is designed to be a slalom sidecut on a wider ski). Some of the testers felt the L version was more versatile (and still good for Short Turns 18.2m @ 178cm). So my point is that it may well feel like it has shorter radius than its specs might suggest. This is a guess, so Barracuda might be able to comment.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think fixation on stated ski radius gets too much attention sometimes, us recreational skiers are more attune to the flex of the ski, dampness, edge hold and turn initiation/exit than what the radius is. We are skiing in resort on pistes with skiers left right and centre and constantly adjusting the turn duration and size.

The Speedwall is definitely capable of making a tighter turn, if anything this is what is it is aimed at hence the S and L version, its a powerful ski that really holds an edge extremely well, especially on ice, its snappy and titanial sheets will be something that @tomb will appreciate given his stature, and there is tip and tail rocker which allows you to initiate and release turns with relative ease allowing for extremely tight turns when wanted.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the info guys its really appreciated!

@barracuda, Those are very temping indeed, I've booked 2 trips this year and if all goes well there is the possibility of a third and am now at the point where buying a set of skis almost makes sense financially.

I had intended on demo'ing a few skis the first week as I'm completely out of the loop at the moment.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tomb wrote:
Thanks for all the info guys its really appreciated!

@barracuda, Those are very temping indeed, I've booked 2 trips this year and if all goes well there is the possibility of a third and am now at the point where buying a set of skis almost makes sense financially.

I had intended on demo'ing a few skis the first week as I'm completely out of the loop at the moment.

Often useful to have use of a decent reference ski such as those available to crystallize your own experience if you get chance to get stuck into some demo stock as well. Not too costly mitigated over three trips either.

Well there's always got to be an entirely valid reason Very Happy for owning more skis.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tomb wrote:

Ideally, this is the correct thing to do.

Over the last while, I have bought skis that were drastically reduced and done a lot of research by reading reviews, trawling forums and asking for input on here. I have yet to be be disappointed and the skis have usually exceeded expectations....but there is always a risk that taking a punt won't work out, which is why the saving must be considerable.

In the case of the Volkls - they were £650 with binding in 2017: Review here from SCGB https://www.skiclub.co.uk/ski-tests/years/2017/volkl-code-speedwall-s-uvo where it was a top performer, along with the Dynastar Speed Zone 12Ti (which I think is the predecessor of the Dynastar I listed above).

From what I know about Volkl, I would be amazed if these didn't work out, as I think they would provide what you are looking for. Somebody of your build with decent skill and that pushes on, needs something robust under their feet.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 22-11-21 17:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@tomb, I'd be happy to offer you the possibility to demo them at a snowdome - but just realistically not so sure how that would work.

I do agree demo-ing is great, though piste skis haven't radically changed over the past decade, I have found demoing to be hard in France due to poor selection of decent skis - so don't bank on that - especially if you have specific models in mind that aren't the Atomic G line or Head I.family - much better in Austria and Switzerland (but pricey!)

Have a think about the Volkl's, I do think they could be a great shout for you - there are a lot of reviews on the web/youtube -they really were used for just 5 days - and are in pristine condition - if you are in London for any reason happy for you to pass and have a look at them
latest report
barracuda wrote:
I think fixation on stated ski radius gets too much attention sometimes, us recreational skiers are more attune to the flex of the ski, dampness, edge hold and turn initiation/exit than what the radius is. We are skiing in resort on pistes with skiers left right and centre and constantly adjusting the turn duration and size.

The Speedwall is definitely capable of making a tighter turn, if anything this is what is it is aimed at hence the S and L version, its a powerful ski that really holds an edge extremely well, especially on ice, its snappy and titanial sheets will be something that @tomb will appreciate given his stature, and there is tip and tail rocker which allows you to initiate and release turns with relative ease allowing for extremely tight turns when wanted.

Yeah a bigger skier should have no problem bending an 18m radius ski into quite tight turns.

I've got some stiff 18m rad skis. Im 77kg but I can carve nice short turns on them if I get them up on edge.
snow report
[drift]
Quote:

I have found demoing to be hard in France due to poor selection of decent skis

@barracuda, odd, I don't think I've ever thought that?

[/drift]
snow report
@under a new name, I've struggled over the years to really find a good selection of top end skis to try- Im talking niche stuff - Stockli, Kaslte, Blossom, even the not so Niche but not mainstream S/Max Blast, Atomic X9, Deacons, Salomon Q106, Blizzards, struggled with in France - While in Austria easy - and switzerland too - in Austria come March you can demo next year's models and they will even sell them to you - and its cheap like 50€ a day - France - 65-70€ a day if you find this stuff - and Switzerland 75-100chf for a day - yes its much cheaper for a week - but I have skis and all I want to do at times is go on them for a day - its great if you can be in resort when they have a testing event - like the opening weekend in Val Thorens to really have a go on a lot of stuff for free Smile
ski holidays
@barracuda, ah, ok, yes, I see what you mean. You want to test Austrian (Or Swiss ((Or German)) ) skis in France.

And that's worked out as well as could be expected Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil What's wrong with Rossignol and Dynastar?

I don't think I've ever seen anywhere stocking testing and selling Blossom - do they even really have a retail market? I think I've seen maybe 2 own branded pairs in my puff.
snow report
@under a new name, nothing really wrong with Rossi/dynas guess I like the German made stuff more Smile

I have see a shop that had blossom you can demo but can’t remember where!

They sell them at Altimus on High Street Kensington.

Trying to find some of the salomom stuff hasn’t been easy in France though.
snow conditions
@barracuda, yeah, my wife converted me to Völkl some time ago, which has now segued to Blizzard. Around Chamonix I see lots of Völkl, Blizz, Kastlë, not so much Stöckli mind you although I did gave a play on DP Pros some years ago Shocked
latest report
@barracuda, If you want to demo Blossom you could contact the UK Importer.
snow report
@rjs, the speedwalls are going to contribute to that - between Stockli AXs and Blossom whiteouts - skiing is an expensive addiction- just like the real white stuff Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy