Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Sybelles for Xmas? Decided on Val Cenis

Poster: A snowHead
We’ve booked our Eurotunnel crossing and now deciding where to go in the French Alps for Xmas. Fancied trying a different area, perhaps a bit quieter than the major areas, and with a decent chance there will be snow Eh oh! Eh oh! . So thinking Les Sybelles area might suit. Have found a modestly priced apartment in Le Corbier, and whilst I know that it features prominently in the list of “ugliest resorts in the Alps” that does not bother us as we’re there for the skiing and will be self catering. The apartment has fantastic views so that’ll do us!
Really looking for some advice if Le Corbier is a good base to access the wider ski area, and general thoughts about the quality of the skiing. Going with wife and one daughter and happy with mainly intermediate runs for a mellow skiing week. If we’re lucky enough to have decent snow some easy off piste would be a bonus.
Would be grateful for Snowheads advice.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 25-09-23 18:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't been to Les Sybelles, though would like to in the future. I think Le Corbier / La Toussuire are both pretty central, though people generally say the best skiing is towards St Sorlin d'Arves.

Skiing heights are OK but not great, so there you could certainly do worse for snow reliability, but could do better as well. I believe snowmaking is, again, OK but not the best.

I don't think Les Sybelles will be much quieter than the better known resorts. There will be fewer Brits, but the apartments / lifts will probably still be at full capacity, just with French visitors instead.

One thing that would put me off visiting in December / January is that there are very few trees, and almost no lifts with weather protect (gondolas / chairs with covers). It therefore wouldn't be good in high winds or a whiteout.

If your family would tend to avoid skiing in those sorts of conditions then that mightn't be so much if an issue.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@denfinella, thanks for your reply. Hadn’t really thought about lack of cover in bad weather. It does need to be pretty bad to stop us going out, but would be good to have some lower tree lined runs. I suppose though that the higher more snow sure resorts also suffer from that.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do you have any suggestions for a quieter area that would be reasonably snow sure?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
denfinella wrote:
I haven't been to Les Sybelles, though would like to in the future. I think Le Corbier / La Toussuire are both pretty central, though people generally say the best skiing is towards St Sorlin d'Arves.

Skiing heights are OK but not great, so there you could certainly do worse for snow reliability, but could do better as well. I believe snowmaking is, again, OK but not the best.

I don't think Les Sybelles will be much quieter than the better known resorts. There will be fewer Brits, but the apartments / lifts will probably still be at full capacity, just with French visitors instead.

Fewer Brits but more Dutch and Belgiums lookng for cheaper holidays.

Nothing wrong with the skiing in la Toussuire, there are some nice long runs. However the connection at the top is over a flat plateau which is suboptimal, especially, as you say, in poor viz. There are ways around lower down but still.

Really a spring resort.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Slippery Slope wrote:
@denfinellawould be good to have some lower tree lined runs. I suppose though that the higher more snow sure resorts also suffer from that.

Yes, though some, e.g. 3 Valleys / Paradiski have lots of trees and lots of high runs too.

Alternatives: maybe Les Contamines (a bit small), Val Cenis (a bit dark and cold), Risoul / Vars (long drive), Serre Chevalier (long drive). Not sure they will be quiet (see [b]@davidof[b]'s post), but they may be "less British".

The more popular areas are popular for a reason! wink

P.S. Switzerland/ Austria aren't that much further...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@denfinella, “The more popular areas are popular for a reason!”

Yes that’s so true Very Happy

We went to the 3 Valleys at Easter and had a fantastic time. This will be our first time driving there in an electric car so don’t want to have to drive too far.

Anyone got any views on Flaine at Xmas? No doubt this will be as busy as anywhere at Xmas but from my vague memories of skiing there many years ago I think there are some lower tree runs?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@davidof, thanks for your feedback.

Thinking perhaps I’ll look elsewhere.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Flaine is one of my favourite ski areas and I think I'd probably pick it over Les Sybelles for an Xmas trip. Yes, there are lots of tree runs and the higher main bowl is fairly reliable for snow too. Having said that, there have been a couple of fairly recent seasons when they've really struggled for snow at that time of year. Also, it won't be any quieter than 3 Valleys / Paradiski.

Avoriaz / Chatel / Morzine would be another reliable and busy option with a fairly short drive from the UK.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Slippery Slope, We have been to Les saisies in Christmas week and it was very good. Easy to get away from the crowds in the wider Espace Diamant area but I would stay in Les Saisies itself as that will be the most snow sure part early season. It is also one of the quickest places to drive to.

Flaine is a bit higher and would also be a good option but bear in mind that a few of the highest slopes eg Fred don't always open at the start of the season due to needing a decent snow depth to cover the terrain underneath. Off piste could also be risky there early season - I would consult a guide when there.

Les Contamines has a very good snow record but is quite small as it is not lift linked to the rest of evasion mont blanc. you could of course get the whole evasion mont blanc lift pass if you were willing to drive or take the ski bus to the other areas but bear in mind that some parts such as Combloux suffer if conditions are poor early season.

I haven't been to Les Sybelles as I have the impression that it doesn't get the snow depth of places like Flaine early and late season which are the times we tend to go. Val Cenis would probably be your best bet in the Maurienne at that time of year in terms of snow depth but it won't get much sun as all north facing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowymum, thanks for the info. I’ll do some research on Val Cenis.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Slippery Slope wrote:

Happy to recommend Val Cenis as it’s a great area to ski with cost effective accommodation and a lovely village to wander around. Local ski pass also allows you to try a day in one of the other local areas such as Aussois, Valfrejus, La Norma or Bonneval Sur arc - all reachable by the inter resort buses.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Le Corbier makes Les Menuires look like Margot Robbie.

Stay in Saint Sorlin.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:
Le Corbier makes Les Menuires look like Margot Robbie.

Very good Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Having stayed in Saint Sorlin I would suggest le corbier and le Toussuire are better positioned. Saint Sorlin is an interesting old farming village still has many non developed farm houses that look untouched for years next to others that have been modernised which makes a nice contrast. But there's not much going on there and we found the skiing better in the purpose built areas and links over could be a pain. Definitely worth dropping in there but I'd stay the next town along.
We went half term and it was bonkers busy some longest queues we've seen perhaps evidence lift system isn't great.
ski holidays
Quote:

We have been to Les saisies in Christmas week and it was very good. Easy to get away from the crowds in the wider Espace Diamant area but I would stay in Les Saisies itself as that will be the most snow sure part early season.

I've done loads (15....) of Christmases in Les Saisies. Like anywhere else, snow cover varies but what doesn't vary is that usually has the best cover of anywhere in the region. As @snowymum says some parts of the Espace Diamant - notably the lower runs in the Arly Valley - have less reliable snow cover, purely because they are lower altitude. But the higher runs in Notre Dame de Bellecombe and Praz sur Arly will often have good cover, and will be a lot quieter.

Nowhere that's any good will truly be quiet at Christmas! A quiet Christmas would be a bit of a disaster for a ski resort. Les Saisies is an attractive village and there's lots "going on" at Christmas.

I like Christmas in the Alps because I dislike much of what Christmas in the UK is about. But it has to be said that it's NOT the best time to go skiing. Busy week, high prices, very short daylight hours, often rather dreary weather. Still great to go skiing on Christmas Day though, rather than watch the telly and eat too much.
latest report
pam w wrote:
[ what doesn't vary is that usually has the best cover of anywhere in the region.

the Beaufortain is a snow magnet; my only gripe with les Saisies is that it is relatively flat... but steep without snow isn't great.

As said above, Val Cenis or anywhere near the Italian border can have a good start to winter due to the autumn weather systems. Serre Chevalier, Montgenevre as well.

I would happily ski in les Sybelles too but not in poor viz. Staying central is a good idea not to be caught by lift closures. St Colomban is a mega schlepp, for example. Here is a write up I did fwiw: https://pistehors.com/Xs4XLn8BbNihPQ79v7AC/les-sybelles-maurienne-french-alps
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
my only gripe with les Saisies is that it is relatively flat

I remember you describing the ski lifts there as a "horizontal transport system" in a trip report Laughing
snow report
denfinella wrote:
davidof wrote:
my only gripe with les Saisies is that it is relatively flat

I remember you describing the ski lifts there as a "horizontal transport system" in a trip report Laughing

too steep for cross country, too flat for alpine.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/EcwElhw2YDI
latest report
Laughing yes, the Saisies cross-country area can be a bit of a shock for people who think cross-country skiing is about shuffling around on the flat. And yes again, the skiing in Saisies itself is pretty mellow (but "flat" is hyperbole) and that's EXACTLY what lots of people like. And it's very pretty. And not full of Brits. The top areas of Notre Dame de Bellecombe and Praz sur Arly have some good skiing which is typically very quiet. Some scary drags (and, to be fair, one or two antique chairs) keep the hoi polloi at bay. The whole area has some easily accessible off piste which is not instantly tracked out. Or so my expert son tells me!
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
(but "flat" is hyperbole) and that's EXACTLY what lots of people like.

it is the uphill I don't like. Yes Hirondelle rouge, I mean you.

The ski area in les Saisies has been improved by the addition of a tunnel at the end of the Legette, although the little schlepp to get to the bottom of the lift is a pain.

Hauteluce and Bisanne are good but a black piste at les Pres that ends at the road with no lift back up is a surprise, you have to wait for a bus, which is quite Swiss; although you could walk to Les Contamines from there. It is not open that much anyway.

As you say, if you are looking for intermediate runs, les Saisies is your Huckleberry.
latest report
Hi snowHead ‘s
Thank you all for your advice and suggestions- very much appreciated.

Taking it all on board I’ve now booked an apartment in Val Cenis right next door to the La Moulin lift.

Did seriously consider Les Saisies but we did go there about 10 years ago, had good snow and a chilled week, but decided to try somewhere new to us.

Also got a good deal on the lift passes- my “senior” pass is 136 euros for 6 days Very Happy

Can’t wait to start looking at the webcams Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Val Cenis ski area is -60% smaller than Les Sybelles.
snow report
@Slippery Slope, Glad you have booked Val Cenis and hope you have a great Christmas there. snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Good choice of position for the lifts and skiing, though a walk to the centre and most shops (or just ski down to where you want)
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Val Cenis ski area is -60% smaller than Les Sybelles.

Christoph Schrahe reckons les Sybelles is really 141 km

I skied about 105km in a day, but that included uplifts and hadn't skied Fontcouverte so I'm open minded if his figure is accurate. We managed 94km in Val Cenis but started later due to a bug with their ticket system: https://pistehors.com/3EntmYYBsDqi-LmiM8fR/val-cenis-maurienne-france

We probably had less left to ski in Val Cenis.
snow conditions
andmelffion wrote:
Slippery Slope wrote:

Local ski pass also allows you to try a day in one of the other local areas such as Aussois, Valfrejus, La Norma or Bonneval Sur arc - all reachable by the inter resort buses.

We will probably take advantage of this.
snow conditions
I've been to Les Sybelles a couple of times and I'm back there just after New Year for a short break. I'm staying with friends in St Jean D'Arves. They live there all year and don't get bored of the skiing.
The times I've been the weather has been good - enough snow and plenty of sun!
1st trip - March 2021 - Hot and sunny, firm pistes in the morning, spring conditions in the afternoon but still very ski-able.
2nd trip - Jan 2022 - Cold and sunny with tons of snow!

Yes, the transition across the top can seem a little bit of a pain but it's not that far. As a piste skier who might dabble a bit off the side I found plenty to do.
This has become my cheap, early season get away. I also do Alpe D'huez with a group in March. For the skiing I want (cruise-y reds and blues with an odd black) I think both areas are great - Les Sybelles offers much cheaper accomadation and posher lifts.
Oh, and I don't care what a resort looks like - it will be dark most the time I'm not on the slopes!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy