Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss Air Ski Carriage

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Am going to Verbier for 10 weeks in Jan. Swiss seem to allow 1 pair of ski's in addition to luggage allowance. I am taking 2 pairs of skis and was wondering if anyone knows whether they count as a pair of skis if I put both in a double ski bag. I know the weight limit for the ski bag needs to be less than 23kg which shouldn't be a problem. Also any suggestions for wheel vs non-wheel for the double ski bag ??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Am hoping they wont even look inside as hoping to get a few pairs in one bag at Xmas. I’ll let you know what happens. Usually they just care that its in the weight and size specs. Make sure you tell Swiss that you intend bringing one as they like to be notified.

The wheeled ones are heavy and unwieldy but good if you carried a lot of weight . But if youre only putting in 2 pairs I’d just go for non-wheeled. I imagine any decent bag will do, but good to have a divider or separate sections for each pair. Don’t bother spending too much money on one whichever you get as the baggage handlers love a nice new bag to throw around
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do note, that with SWISS, if you select the cheapest “lite” option with cabin baggage only, then skis do not go free.

I don’t imagine there will be an issue with more than one pair of skis in a bag. You have to phone them to “book” the space on the plane, and they told me max length was 200cm and max weight 32Kg.

Lufthansa have the same deal, and they often code-share.

EDIT: Correction, it seems that Lufthansa need to be notified, but SWISS don’t.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 21-11-21 10:17; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've never notified Swiss that I was bringing skis. Lufthansa ask for that, but Swiss certainly haven't in the past.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Flown with Swiss loads of times. Always had normal bag and a snowboard bag. I have had 2 boards and all sorts of stuff in mine, a friend has had 3 boards in theirs. As long as it's under 23kg, never been a problem. Mainly Gatwick or Heathrow to Geneva, sometimes via Zurich.

Never told them in advance any of us have ski or board bags.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
I've never notified Swiss that I was bringing skis. Lufthansa ask for that, but Swiss certainly haven't in the past.

Yes, my mistake, Swiss don’t require advance notice.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You can read the small print regarding ski transport here. They are pretty insistent, that only skis can be be in the bag, plus “one other item”; clearly, they have had issues in the past. But as always, just be really nice and friendly to the check-in staff, and I don’t think you will have an issue:

https://www.swiss.com/xx/en/prepare/baggage/sports-equipment
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the replies. I've found their FAQs on ski sports baggage which I think answers the questions. Fingers crossed now that Covid doesn't wreck this season too Confused

https://www.swiss.com/xx/en/customer-support/faq/sports-equipment
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi, I understand we can take a 23kg luggage plus a bag with equipment on SWISS. I've read the pages and this thread but still not 100% clear. Is the allowance 23kg in total across all bags? Or effectively 2x 23kg as long one is ski or snowboard shaped? Also, If I use a single snowboard bag as my main luggage containing snowboard etc and clothes -ie one checked-in bag in total - is that acceptable?
Thanks
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can clarify as we went through all this on Sunday just gone on way to Verbier. We travelled from Gatwick where check-in is done by 'agency ground staff' i.e. not employed by Swiss. My son had a normal bag with his luggage that was about 15kg. He had a huge double 'roller' ski bag that contained 2 pairs of skis and some clothes to use up space which was 21kg. He also had a bag with his boots and helmet. The ski bag was fine but had to be dropped at oversize luggage.

So each individual bag needs to be under 23kg for health and safety purposes - it's not 23kg across all.

There was another guy trying to check in a slightly smaller roller ski bag. However he had purchased an 'Economy Light' ticket which didn't give him any free carriage so he was sent off to pay for excess baggage. Therefore make sure you buy 'Economy Classic or Flex'.

Hope that's all clear now Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Hope that's all clear now

Yes, I think so on the whole, thanks. The only difference is your son did have another case to check-in whereas I would be rocking up with a single snowboard bag that obviously contained other items (unless they thought I could get everything else in my 20L backpack). I suppose it depends how pedantic they are. Hopefully logic would prevail as surely it's better for everyone to have 1 23kg bag than 2, even if classed as oversize. I believe BA are fine with that kind of arrangement as well but they no longer fly from Gatwick.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
silentice wrote:
The only difference is your son did have another case to check-in whereas I would be rocking up with a single snowboard bag that obviously contained other items (unless they thought I could get everything else in my 20L backpack).

Done this with Lufthansa (SWISS partner), no problem. You'll be fine, they won't care one jot.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It seems Swiss now ask to register you ski equipment https://www.swiss.com/ro/en/prepare/baggage/sports-equipment/register-sports-baggage. Also the sports equipment page says the following, is this new?

Quote:

The special rates only apply if the sports baggage is being used exclusively to transport the items listed in the table. One item that is not featured in the list above will be tolerated for each item of baggage. If more than one of these items is transported in the sports baggage, passengers have to pay the normal rates for excess baggage.

The table does state ski/snowboarding "equipment" so I suppose there's possibly a wide interpretation here. I'm sure they aren't opening people's bags but this concerned me that clothes etc don't count.

I notice on the form they ask for the weight and it can be up to 32kg! Although I think it's still only 23kg included. Does anyone know if they hold you to this, I'm sure most will enter the maximum weight but if everyone does that then might cause them to assume they can't take any more bags when in reality they can because not everyone will fill it up (if that makes sense).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swiss have been flipping backward and forward on notify/no need to notify for a couple of years. It has depended on the specific flight as whether it was operated as Lufthansa code share. My PSB22 flight I had to notify, my Eosb23 flight I didn't. Haven't looked at flights this year but do check the very small print for your specific flight. The phrase used to signify notification was something like "This flight operates under Lufthansa terms of carriage"

I've taken 2 sets of skis in one bag with no issues, check-in just weighs the bag and labels then you have to take it to oversize baggage.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
silentice wrote:
The table does state ski/snowboarding "equipment" so I suppose there's possibly a wide interpretation here. I'm sure they aren't opening people's bags but this concerned me that clothes etc don't count.

This is exactly the same as the T&Cs for almost every other airline. The T&Cs will state something like "One pair of skis and poles or one snowboard" as their definition of a ski bag - but no, I don't think anybody on here has ever reported having their 'ski bag' opened/checked and rejected for having more than 1 pair of skis, clothes, or anything else outside the T&Cs definition in it. Provided it's under the weight limit they don't really care under normal circumstances. The one time you might face issues is if your 'ski bag' goes missing and you try to claim for multiple pairs of skis and have a Slush+Rubble store - but bags don't truely get lost very often, delayed yes but not lost and again I can't remember reading of anyone having an issue claiming for 'extras' in their ski bag.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy