Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot forward lean angle

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My skiing is a bit old school, I like to ski with quite a forward lean. My shins press the front of the boots.
Current boots have an option of 13, 15 or 17 degrees forward lean, came out of the box on 15.

I read that modern wider rockered skis allow a more upright stance, the skis I'll be on the season are traditional shaped (tips and tails on snow, raised in middle) parabolic piste skis with a 85mm waist, 16m radius. Am I right in thinking that the forward lean of 17 degrees will work fine with that kind of ski. Is 15 ok, will 2 degrees make any noticeable difference? Just I cannot get the adjustment powershift thingy to move onto the 17 position, the upper cuff is hard against the lower boot shell at 15 and will not move anymore.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 20-11-21 13:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am far from an expert in this area - but I think there are various factors that influence the decision ie. Your flexibility and range of movement; Your physiology; Binding Delta Angle; Preference.

IMV. Leaning on the front of your boots is not a good thing, as it makes the tails of the skis too light. Your weight should be central, but moving fore/aft, in a way to keep you in balance.

This needs to be assessed by a Bootfitter....but if I had to guess, the middle option is more likely to be the best option.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can't drive your skis properly if you are standing upright; the geometry doesn't work. There are some very upright stances around these days and some very average skiing. I think it works of you want to ski backwards in the park, otherwise you need a decent angle, even if it makes your legs ache!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Klamm Franzer wrote:
You can't drive your skis properly if you are standing upright; the geometry doesn't work. There are some very upright stances around these days and some very average skiing. I think it works of you want to ski backwards in the park, otherwise you need a decent angle, even if it makes your legs ache!

I am not saying you should ski upright.

IME. Big angles are created by good technique, such as balancing against the outside ski; Creating high edge angles; Long Leg/Short Leg; Toppling; Flex to transition etc etc - not by extra forward lean in your ski boots.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Klamm Franzer wrote:
... I think it works of you want to ski backwards in the park, otherwise you need a decent angle, even if it makes your legs ache!
Oh, that we call "park stance" and it's not uncommon in people of a certain age. Not racers, of course.

I would not over think it. Try whatever you have and see how it feels. There are lots of variables and you
can't really just program something in and expect it to all work. Try it, tweak it if necessary, rinse and repeat.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Andi who works with CEM offers stance balancing as a service. It works very well.

As I understand it something like the upper end of the Atomic race line has 16-18 degrees of forward lean. My Lange Freetours have 12-14.

Good skier can work with either but Andi found that I had to flatten or reverse binding delta in order to achieve a balanced stance with more forward lean in the boot.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you were on the dancefloor 'doing the twist', you'd need a bit of forward lean, same with skiing... And dancing in ski boots!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No park skiing here, like a mix of quick turns and long cornering on rails turns depending on the run, going quite hard into turns. Smile
It could be they are at 17 degrees but the numbers are stamped on the boot slightly out - is there any way to physically measure the angle from vertical, given it's an imaginary line where the centre of the lower leg would be? I guess a piece of cardboard with angles drawn via a protector might be a rudimentary way to get an idea of angle using the back of the cuff. Puzzled
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I ski Atomic Redster Pros on piste and like a fairly aggressive forward lean, 16 degrees without the spoiler which adds another 2. Great with SL and GS skis. But using those boots off piste with fat skis throws up a lot of issues, mainly in that it is fairly rare that you need to put much power into an edge, landing jumps is uncomfortable and you re pretty much locked into a driving position with reduced nuance to react to conditions.

So the skis designed for that type of skiing have also been designed to work on a more centrally balanced and slightly more upright stance. I once tried putting the Redster spoilers in my freeride boots and it was a disaster, those 2 extra degrees, while fine on piste, really compromised anything I did off piste.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Klammertime wrote:
...is there any way to physically measure the angle from vertical...
Android has free apps which will do a 'clino job.

--
With race snowboards forward lean is crucial, and different for each foot. How much you need depends a bit on the board geometry and design too. Not directly relevant, but what I mean is... you need to try it and feel what you need, then set that. Boots like the Atomic Backland do have less forward lean than you may expect, perhaps because they're "touring" focused. Aftermarket lean adjusters are available for that reason.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Surely the obvious answer here is to ski for an hour in the "factory" position then have a coffee, adjust the forward lean while drinking it, then go for another hour on the same terrain. should be easy enough to do and could be done in a fridge before you go away. you might feel a difference and prefer one and you may not be able to tell. go ski it and make up your own mind, everyone on here will have preference but no one can tell you how you will feel.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some wise words there andy'n'netty.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I would not over think it.

This.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yup, play round and see what works for you.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy