Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss resorts from Munich

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, following the uncertainty in Austria I'm thinking of exploring options in Switzerland. Booked to fly to Munich mid January. If Austria will be locked down we can try and change flights (this will probably mean non direct flights) but I'd like to to explore the options for driving from Munich.
Flims Laax looks like an easy highway drive?
Wengen looks like quite a bit of driving on smaller roads?
I'm trying to understand how difficult the drive would be, aside of Google maps timings
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@sugardaddy, Flims Laax 2:45, St.Moritz 3:45, Scuol 3H, Davos 3H...
Scuol is nice but quite a bit smaller than the others.
St.Moritz thru the Engadin, past Scuol, is an easy drive. You can also go past Chur over the Julier pass, but that can be snowy, require chains etc.
Davos also an easy drive
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wengen is easy-takes us about an hour and a half from Zurich, its pretty fast going. Andermatt is quicker and probably Engelberg too at a push.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sugardaddy, to Flims/Laax is easy, as is Lenzerheide/Arosa. Lots in Graubünden in easy reach. Wengen is a fair extra drive and not all motorway. I would stay in Graubünden personally, it’s a lovely part of Switzerland.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd say Wengen is going to take you about 5 hours, but is also an easy drive followed by train ride. Engelberg 4. Never been to Engelberg but comes highly recommended by friends who know it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Engelberg is good for off-piste but the piste skiing is underwhelming, depending on what you are after. However for off-piste from Munich I’d pick Disentis/Andermatt. Or I’ve heard good things about Splügen for the off-piste but have not been.

Driving in Switzerland is generally very easy with well maintained and well signposted roads with very few trucks on the roads at weekends. Just remember to keep to the speed limits!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gämsbock, we have had two tickets in a month - both times 5km over the limit. One was 60chf (Solothurn) but Zurich was 120chf. Now we are using the limiter function….
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Davos is not good in mid January because of the big conference that is held there every year (snow can be fabulous, I was during the Snowmeggedon a couple of years back). Either Flims / Laax or Lenzerheide / Arosa should pretty straight forward access from Chur. All the other larger resorts are a fair bit further to drive. Also bear in mind that mid January can see big snow storms which slow things down a lot. Even with clear roads allow 3 hours to get from Bregenz to Munich airport (you can get there a good bit quicker but that assumes clear dry roads and driving at 160km/h+) plus the time from there to the resort of your choice. This is going to take up two days of your holiday.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I should have said, going with friends that are piste skiers, so looking at places with decent piste skiing and not too small. St Moritz looks like pretty good skiing, but the ski pass price wink wink
@Gämsbock, how do Laax and Lenzerheide compare? Not bothered by apres ski, just want a nice hotel, good sauna, prefer half board to eating out. Like to ski all day with a stop for a beer/hot chocolate, depending on weather
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Nadenoodlee, ouch! I got one for being 2km over the limit when I first moved here. Confused

@sugardaddy, I’ve only stayed in apartments in Laax which is a modern purpose built resort with a kind of campus feel and some very nice on-mountain restaurants. It’s quite orientated towards snowboarders and attracts a young and very international crowd. Although there are hotels it’s not your typically alpine village with lots of traditional hotels. Flims has more of that style of accommodation but I’ve not stayed there, just passed through on the way up to Laax. There’s also Falera at the other end which is smaller. Lenzerheide is a bigger village with lots of hotels but I’ve not stayed there, only skied there on day trips. They are both nice ski areas and a similar size.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sugardaddy, I've stayed in both Laax and Lenzerheide. But both self-catering.

As @Gämsbock says, Laax felt a bit purpose built. Lenzerheide has the core of a real village (including several hotels), though with lots of strung out "suburbs". Flims-Laax is a bit more of a properly linked ski area wheras Lenzerheide has runs the other side of the valley which can be accessed directly via pistes and a single cross-valley chair-lift but is usually easier with the bus (very reliable, and part of the lift pass) with the link to Arosa being a 2-way cable car. Know nothing about the hotels (though I think a bar/restaurant we rather liked was part of one), both have mountain restaurants of the usual Swiss standard.

Flims may feel a bit more like a village, Falera certainly does but only has one run down which easily gets slushy (I think you can download on the chairlift but it is pretty old-fashioned unless there has been a recent update).

If driving you could possibly think of staying in Chur (historic town with plenty of nice hotels and restaurants) and exploring both areas. On the Lenzerheide side the bus up is free with the ski pass, as is the train to Arosa (slow, but spectacularly scenic).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sugardaddy, Liverpool to Wengen is easy, so from Munich simples!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bavaria is moving towards lockdown too...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah, but transit will probably be OK. Anyway, we haven't canceled anything. It's like trying to forecast snow : we'll only know in the days just before. Switzerland is also trending towards a rise in cases
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sugardaddy, yes but we give zero Be Nice please! about people, its all about the economy so we’ll be open again.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy