Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria ski resorts new year fireworks

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This year Christmas and the bank holidays are close to new year, I had missed the new year fireworks for so many years, I have see few amazing pictures in photographers forum of fireworks against the ski resort background. I am a hobby photographer too I would to try and take some pictures of fireworks. I have been searching for the last few days and trying to write to few resorts and to the region's tourist board. I found that one of the resorts (Ellmau/Soll) have dropped fireworks, Soelden does it but the resort is too dearer, other than that i haven't received any response yet. Checking with Austrian tourist board they sent me 5 hotels which does fireworks, those are not near ski area's + cost of stay i need to win a small lottery to accommodate my family Very Happy

Any one have any info which resorts would generally do in Salsburg region or Tyrol, reason i choose these two being there is snow in the villages during Christmas in these regions elsewhere these days the villages are dry and brown just the ski areas are covered with snow. To be more precise Eastern Tyrol (From Soll and further) and further east for snow in the village during Christmas

If you know of the resorts that regularly do fireworks I can write to them to confirm if it is still happening this year. At the moment I am trying to write to every resort I am like to go which is taking time to get their response.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mayrhofen does. or at least, used to do.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pressi, New Year is generally the most expensive time of the year in Austrian ski resorts, it is a bigger holiday than Christmas in the germanic world. You are going to struggle to find value for money places anywhere that are reliable for snow at New Year. That said there are an awful lot of fireworks let off between 23:30 & 01:00 over New Year (Silvester in German) though some places are beginning to put in restrictions as it can be pretty mad and accidents do happen. In normal times pretty much every resort will have fireworks whether organised by the tourist board or some of the larger hotels in addition to all the private ones. In current circumstances you might find a good few will be cancelled. I would concentrate on trying to find somewhere to stay that suits your budget and assume there will be fireworks
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
About 2 or 3 years ago, St Anton swapped from fireworks to a laser light show for their weekly ski show for “environmental” reasons. I don’t know for sure if they also did that for NYE, but I suspect so.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @Munich_irish, @Corky and @ulmerhutte, for now based on resorts responses Zell am seem to have fireworks and market for my dates but that may change with the covid cases rising again this year Sad . i am hoping to stay in Saalbach for access to large ski area so i can travel Zell am relatively easier, otherwise as you say most of the resorts are giving up fireworks for environmental reasons, fair enough environment comes first.

I have always stayed the week before new year, the prices were reasonable, just the week between Christmas and new year makes a huge difference. Just noticed, most of the accommodation have gone by now.

How is Zell am/ Saalbach for stay, does it have pretty Austrian village charm village, any ideas, are the ski area connected?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ulmerhutte, Yes, its all lazer now in St Anton on environmental grounds. We've done it 3-4 years ago and it's very impressive, music is great too.

We'll be there this year, but tbph it's crazy and a bit manic, folks throwing fireworks around etc, so this year we'll be celebrating down the valley away from the crowds.

@pressi, I'd probably look at smaller resorts perhaps around Salzburg area?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pressi wrote:

If you know of the resorts that regularly do fireworks I can write to them to confirm if it is still happening this year. At the moment I am trying to write to every resort I am like to go which is taking time to get their response.

I know first hand of a few places in Austria right now that were planning fireworks, but are now 'under review' - which basically means whether will be any official 'crowd-gathering' NYE events or not will be made at the last minute depending on corona.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

How is Zell am/ Saalbach for stay, does it have pretty Austrian village charm village, any ideas, are the ski area connected?

@pressi, yes, they’re connected via piste 168 (not always open) from Saalbach down to the hamlet of Viehhofen, and the Zell am See Xpress gondola from Viehhofen to the Zell am See ski area. If piste 168 isn’t open, the ski bus runs every ten minutes between Saalbach’s Schönleitenbahn gondola lift station and the Zell am See Xpress. The bus ride takes eight minutes.

Saalbach has a very pretty and compact village centre, full of Austrian Alpine charm. Zell am See is much, much bigger - a town, although it still pretty and charming, with narrow, pedestrianised streets and alleyways sloping down to the lake.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy