Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice Please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all - I’m relatively new to skiing and would welcome some advice - is the foot pressure down into the edge on the outside ski or do you push away - as I’m having trouble holding the outside ski which then slides away
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Pup smurf, welcome to snowHeads.

If your outside ski is skidding away from you it's probably a combination of factors, including you not effectively balancing on it and it is not tipped to a suffice edge angle. Without seeing you ski, I'd suggest you try to do well-rounded turns with as much of your weight on the outside ski as you can manage. Your focus on pressing or balancing on the ski's edge is the right thing to do. Don't try to push the ski away from you, that's not normally a good thing to do.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great advice - really appreciate your reply - thanks Rob
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, you are very welcome.

@rob@rar, is an Instructor, so his advice carries more weight.

My tuppence - At your early stage - if you are pushing the ski away from you, the chances are, that is breaking the grip of the edge, causing it to skid away from under you, especially if the snow is slick, hard or icy.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You’ve hit the nail on head - that’s exactly what’s happening
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Pup smurf, +1 that Rob is worth taking note of on matters skiing. The other thing I'd add is that money spent on lessons to improve technique is seldom wasted.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All good - I really appreciate you all taking time to help - thanks Eh oh!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My first thoughts when I read your post were, not enough weight on the downhill ski, and @rob@rar talked about exactly that.

One drill that might help is to try lifting the heel of your boot on your uphill ski as you're traversing across the hill, this will force you to balance on your downhill/outside ski. As you feel more comfortable with that, try and introduce the same movement in the turn.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Rob - loads for me to think about - will give this a try at Hemel - and book a few lessons too
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Pup smurf, Rob does clinics and private lessons in Hemel, I highly recommend you take them instead of Hemel's standard lessons.

See the InsideOutSkiing link in his signature.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I will do - thanks for all the follow up
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Pup smurf, Some great advice above. Also if it is hard and icy underfoot check that your skis are not as sharp as a butter knife wink

But lessons from someone like Rob will really make such a difference.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for your help - some
lessons are the obvious way to go
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy