Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria in Crisis... Lockdown... Ski Season in doubt..

Poster: A snowHead
resurecting this thread after the news about france today. we have nothing booked other than a week off work on 8th Jan. I am seeing glimmers of hope with austria but exhausted from reading through all the french stuff this week. anyone who understands the current situation in austria care to summarise please? 3 adults all double vax plus one teenager with only one vax. looking at st anton due to recent developments in tyrol with pcr tests availalbe for free (details still a bit sketchy), thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@backhojo, email St Anton tourist office about the tests. 3 adults all good to go, no need for any tests other than the one to return.
info@stantonamarlberg.com
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris_n wrote:
@backhojo, email St Anton tourist office about the tests. 3 adults all good to go, no need for any tests other than the one to return.
info@stantonamarlberg.com

looks like teen needs pcr to enter then can go onto "Ninja pass" in tyrol. have emailed st anton tourist office for further info as their website is not clear. in has two groups mentions 12-15 and 15-16. Our lad is 15 - so which group is he in !!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@backhojo, not having studied the St Anton website other than to get the email address for you I can't comment on the 2 age groups but normally in Austria the ages are inclusive. I would say fits in with 12-15 but as you have emailed the tourist office I am sure they will get back to you tomorrow. If their answer isn't clear maybe think about phrasing the question slightly differently after all although they often seem to speak good English it isn't their first language.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chris_n wrote:
@backhojo, not having studied the St Anton website other than to get the email address for you I can't comment on the 2 age groups but normally in Austria the ages are inclusive. I would say fits in with 12-15 but as you have emailed the tourist office I am sure they will get back to you tomorrow. If their answer isn't clear maybe think about phrasing the question slightly differently after all although they often seem to speak good English it isn't their first language.

Neither is Austrian Deutsch, sometimes…or so it seems Laughing

As a friend relayed to me when she was asked by a heavy dialect-speaking Austrian “I am thinking of learning English, what do you think?”….to which she replied “perhaps you should consider learning Deutsch first”….
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Cacciatore, Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Cacciatore, it's certainly not Deutsch they speak round here either!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris_n wrote:

they have come back with a polite, lengthy but frankly uninformative email - they appear to have copied and pasted the stuff I found on the web myself. I have gone back to them with some short, specific questions in list form hoping I get the info I need. There is too much talk of "in the austrian school holidays the children can ski using ninja pass" for me to be certain that its available throughout the season and is available to UK kids. We plan to travel in january, outside of the school holidays
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There has been a press conference on this today. Press report from Tiroler Tagezeitung
Quote:
The “Ninja Pass” is now a tried and tested corona test pass for schoolchildren in Austria. The tests are taken in the school, the pass is valid as proof of entry for all areas where children and young people are required to present a negative test result.

▶ ️ Now it is being expanded as a “Holiday Ninja Pass” as well as proof of school-free time - both for Austrian school-age young people and for school-age holiday guests from abroad aged 12 to 15 years .

▶ ️ Tourism Minister Elisabeth Köstinger said in the press conference on the Ninja Pass during the holidays:

“The 2G rule currently applies in Austria, which requires proof of proof from all persons over the age of 12. However, this requirement cannot be met for all families from abroad, as different vaccination rules apply in other countries and many young people are not or only partially vaccinated. Under these conditions, many would have decided against a winter holiday in Austria. With the Holiday-Ninja-Pass, an officially recognized 2G certificate in Austria can be provided even without a complete vaccination or proof of recovery. "
▶ ️ The Holiday Ninja Pass is equivalent to 2G proof if:

Valid negative test evidence is always available from day 1 to day 5;
basically at least 2 tests of which are PCR tests;
All official test certificates are attached to the Holiday Ninja Pass in paper form or digitally and a valid photo ID is carried.

It will probably take until Monday to update the various websites with factual information.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 17-12-21 13:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The ninja pass is now also available for the holidays. The test ID should be valid for Austrian students as well as for school-age guests from abroad. The tests are done at school. The pass serves as proof of access to all areas where children and young people are required to submit a negative test result.

In order for the holiday ninja pass to be equivalent to a 2-G certificate, several conditions must be met:

-) From day 1 to day 5, a valid negative test certificate must always be available

-) at least 2 tests of which must be PCR tests

-) a valid photo ID must be carried

By carrying out this regular test rhythm, the Holiday Ninja Pass is also valid on days 6 and 7 without further test evidence. The students receive two “bonus days”, so to speak.

If no PCR test can be presented due to an evaluation that has not been carried out in due time (longer than 24 hours), the detection of an antigen test is permitted instead.

The 7-day cycle is flexible. This means that the test series can be started on any day of the week. The test for entry into Austria can also be claimed in the Holiday Ninja Pass. The pass is valid from the submission of the first negative test result. All children and adolescents born after August 31, 2006 are considered to be school-compulsory.

my lad was born 3 days after this cut off date....phew !
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
just need some further clarity around the pragmatics of this "holiday ninja". How do we get it - in advance ? in resort. is it digital ? where do we get tests ? do we pay for tests ? can we use UK purchased LFT with certificates ? . I am sure it will all come out in the end as its only really gaining tractionfrom today
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@backhojo, i also find sending a list means they answer the first question and ignore the rest. Don't bother with any please, can you, will you, is it possible type language. stick to what, why, when, where and how
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@backhojo, in my area (Tirol) the tests are provided by your hotel who get them from the tourist board, the tests then have to be dropped at Supermarket before 10 am for results within 24 hours. I would expect it would be best to use a PCR for pre travel for children as that covers your first test.
As you say it's early days yet and more information will become available very soon.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@backhojo, i also find sending a list means they answer the first question and ignore the rest. Don't bother with any please, can you, will you, is it possible type language. stick to what, why, when, where and how

thanks. good advice. I think I got it just about right....
1) Is the Ninja pass available for UK citizens ?
2) is the ninja pass available OUTSIDE of the school holidays as we are planning to come in Jan 8-15.
3) where can we get the antigen and PCR tests - can these be prebooked before we travel ?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@backhojo,

2) Can the Ninja pass be used from 8th - 15th January 2022?
3) Where can we get the antigen and PCR tests?
3) Can we prebook antigen and PCR tests from the UK, before we travel on 8th January 2022?
latest report
@backhojo, I can definitively answer 2 of your questions.
1) Yes
Quote:

Now it is being expanded as a “Holiday Ninja Pass” as well as proof of school-free time - both for Austrian school-age young people and for school-age holiday guests from abroad aged 12 to 15 years .

2) can't answer but I think it will be possible, I asked my tourist board on Monday / Tuesday and they didn't know.
3) the PCR tests are self administered in Tirol so no need to book. There is no point using an antigen test as you would have to pay for that.
ski holidays
Im sure that you need to pre book PCR tests. You most certainly cant just swan up to the Schwarsee and get one. You have to book using the site tiroltestet.at get a ref no, then you give it to them when you turn up.

The reason being that you have already input all the relevant info like e-mail addresses dates of birth etc, so that they can communicate the results. They dont have the capacity to be doing it at the testing centres
latest report
@jafa, it depends on how busy the test centre is. There's nothing to stop you filling the form in on your phone on your way through the door, as long as there's capacity to test you there and then. I once waited behind some teens who had walked to the centre without a parent. They spent longer shrugging at the guy on the desk, than he did inputting their info.
snow conditions
jafa wrote:
Im sure that you need to pre book PCR tests. You most certainly cant just swan up to the Schwarsee and get one. You have to book using the site tiroltestet.at get a ref no, then you give it to them when you turn up.

The reason being that you have already input all the relevant info like e-mail addresses dates of birth etc, so that they can communicate the results. They dont have the capacity to be doing it at the testing centres

You need to book via Tiroltestet as you say just to register all the details; in case people are worrying though there are no concerns about slots booking out, and at least in Innsbruck there is always availability at an hour or so's notice (at least between 8am-4pm or whatever the opening times are).
snow conditions
@clarky999, do you know anything about the lack of antigen testing sites listed in Innsbruck Stadt now? On Tiroltestet there used to be about 4, but now only Rum and Telfs came up yesterday. Have they closed or been listed elsewhere?
latest report
@Scarlet, no more than you I think, sorry! I guess the focus is on pcr tests though.

Kaufhaus Tyrol I believe still offer antigen tests though: https://www.kaufhaus-tyrol.at/de/teststrasse/

There's more info too, but I guess the translations won't be online until next week... https://www.innsbruck.info/destination/covid-19/testmoeglichkeiten-in-der-region-innsbruck.html
snow conditions
@clarky999, Good webpage! Looks like cheapest antigen test in the city for non-residents is the WKO for €12.
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
@clarky999, Good webpage! Looks like cheapest antigen test in the city for non-residents is the WKO for €12.

As I understand it, tourists are permitted to use the address of their accommodation to get free tests, both PCR and antigen (edit: but you're right, apparently not in the city)!

Are there any circumstances where someone would prefer an antigen to a PCR test though? The new gurgle PCR tests are waaaay more comfortable than a stick up the nose!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 17-12-21 17:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
You do not need to book for PCR Gurgl tests! Kids of any nationality get them free either via the hotel or from tourismus. Adults can get them by registering at https://my.novatium.at/#/login then picking up the tests in Spar or Mpreis.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 17-12-21 17:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@clarky999, Yep, but only free at the official Tiroltestet sites. That's why I wondered about closures – if someone is staying in a city hotel and doesn't have a car, they won't easily be able to get to Rum or Telfs, so would be reliant on pharmacies or the Kaufhaus Tirol (I think the one is DEZ is still operating too), who charge €25.

Antigen test – less likely to come up positive (personal preference whether this is a plus or minus wink ), result in 30 min, acceptable for return to UK.
latest report
deleted
snow report
problem is we dont have a Tirol address yet. dont want to book anything until we fully understand the process and have booked tests. but cat book without address ! also dont want to have to drive all over to sort this - hopefully staying in / near st anton so ideally would want to drop tests of there.
latest report
@backhojo, St Anton has a Spar, right in the middle. Otherwise, there isn't generally a problem with availability of tests in the centres. The furthest in advance I've booked one was about 20min.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@backhojo, you can't book the tests you need for your child. Do everything through the tourist board or your hotel if you are staying in one. The tourism associations are the ones that have been pushing for this change in regulations so they are the only ones who have the fine detail of how it will work. There is no point in booking normal PCR or Antigen tests because you will have to pay for them and they may well not work with the Ninja Pass system. I don't know if these will give you a EU QR code certificate (they probably will and it will be clear long before you get here). If they are ok for travel then register on the address I gave earlier and pick the tests up in the supermarket, nothing to book.
If you did need any other tests then there is a far bigger test infrastructure here than in France, Austria has consistently tested more people than any other country. I know there have been people struggling to book tests in France but it just isn't the same here.
As @Scarlet, the Spar supermarket is in the middle of town, drop your test off on your way to the lift in the morning.
ski holidays
Don't want to tempt fate but probably time to change the thread title. We seem to be doing OK, visitors pouring in as I speak, including what appears to be the entire population of the Netherlands. Very Happy
snow report
@RedandWhiteFlachau, you would have to ask Stanton to do that, not really likely.
snow conditions
@Chris_n, Can't do that, blocked him years ago.
latest report
@RedandWhiteFlachau, PM a mod, they can do it.
snow report
Chris_n wrote:
@backhojo, you can't book the tests you need for your child. Do everything through the tourist board or your hotel if you are staying in one. The tourism associations are the ones that have been pushing for this change in regulations so they are the only ones who have the fine detail of how it will work. There is no point in booking normal PCR or Antigen tests because you will have to pay for them and they may well not work with the Ninja Pass system. I don't know if these will give you a EU QR code certificate (they probably will and it will be clear long before you get here). If they are ok for travel then register on the address I gave earlier and pick the tests up in the supermarket, nothing to book.
If you did need any other tests then there is a far bigger test infrastructure here than in France, Austria has consistently tested more people than any other country. I know there have been people struggling to book tests in France but it just isn't the same here.
As @Scarlet, the Spar supermarket is in the middle of town, drop your test off on your way to the lift in the morning.

thanks Chris - really appreciate your help on this one. We are just nervous coming out without anything booked as I am the kind of person that likes to be prepared. Felt really comfortable that we had daily test booked and confirmed by email in France...until Macron pulled the plug on all that ! I am just going to have a take a leap of faith and take all the adive I am getting on here (thanks everyone). I think the only thing that needs clearing up is how the Ninja will work for non-austrians and if it will work outside the holidays. i am sure there will be more info aon this in the days to come - a lot of the info i am being pointed to says "we are working on a solution" for this
snow report
@backhojo, Austria shuts on Friday lunchtime until Monday as far as updating tourism and Government websites goes wink This was only formally anounced this morning in a press conference. l understand your concerns but think at the moment you need to wait until things become clearer, easier said than done I know.
snow report
On the dialect point…I am a fluent German (Hoch Deutsch) speaker, having lived & worked in North Germany when I was (much) younger - indeed I rarely if ever speak any English while living here. Yet the local dialects are pretty well impenetrable ( tbf they are mutually incomprehensible in different valleys in the Vorarlberg, as is the case with Schweizerdeutsch in Switzerland). Even native North Germans who come to visit me are just as at sea with the dialects…Yet I can just about get the drift of Dutch if it is spoken slowly…but the dialects in Bregenzerwald or Montafon- no chance!
ski holidays
Just had a text (Friday21.00) from Crystal advising that Austria now require a PCR. Will investigate and update
ski holidays
Just had text from Crystal (due to go to Zell Am See on Monday), now need PCR or be boosted to travel if over 12 years old.
ski holidays
https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations

Austria is tightening its entry rules from 20 December: Travel to Austria for touristic purposes is possible for vaccinated and recovered people. However, if you haven't received your booster jab, you need a negative PCR test on top.
Last update: 17 December
latest report
From ORF Austrian national Television
From December 20th, entry from all countries is subject to a 2-G-Plus verification requirement (vaccinated or recovered and current PCR test). If there is evidence of a booster vaccination, the obligation to carry out a PCR test does not apply. This also applies to Austrian citizens, as the Ministry of Social Affairs announced this evening.

Otherwise, travelers must immediately be placed in a ten-day quarantine (freest possible after five days). Exceptions are pregnant women and people who cannot be vaccinated for health reasons. School-age children are allowed to enter with a ninja pass or similar test certificates. The rules do not apply to children under the age of twelve. Like their adult companion, they must be registered in quarantine and prior to entry for pre-travel clearance.

See also https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information for more info including Ninja pass for teenagers.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 17-12-21 22:15; edited 2 times in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy