Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria in Crisis... Lockdown... Ski Season in doubt..

Poster: A snowHead
Seems some resorts are staying open, but no bars or restaurants
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I got my booster at a UK, Oxford, walk in centre after 167 days. I was passing and just asked. The staff looked at their calendar and waved me in. 45mins start to finish.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 25-11-21 9:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
colinstone wrote:
I got my booster at a walk in centre after 167 days. I was passing and just asked. The staff looked at their calendar and waved me in. 45mins start to finish.

Had a similar experience here in Austria (146 days). The day after they changed the booster rules so that it was possible to get the booster after 4 months.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good and bad reports from Austria today.

The 7 Day Index appears to have peaked and is on it's way down although for the last few days they are saying the data is incomplete.
The number of intensive care beds used is now over 600 (all-time high was around 700)
The Salzburg and Kärnten regions have no intensive care beds free. An intensive care patient was even helicoptered from the Salzburg region to Vienna today.
According to a medical woman on the TV, the East of Austria (generally non-skiing regions for tourists) may come out of lockdown on the 13/12 but the west (inc Salzburg, Vorarlberg & Tirol) will most likely remain under lockdown.
Lets hope the intensive care beds become free and the Index continues to drop.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@DB, well, it’s clear that the govt don’t listen to medical people, so I’m not sure we should either NehNeh Austrian virologists would prefer to lock everyone individually. They have no media filter, so whilst they may talk sense, it doesn’t really mean anything from a practical perspective.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This site: https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information looks like an official (government?) site for tourism in Austria. It states:

Quote:
In Austria, due to the current Coronavirus infection situation, a temporary lockdown is in effect from 22 November until 13 December at the latest. Travel to Austria for touristic purposes will only be possible again after this period.

The “until 13 Dec at the latest” seems pretty definite in English, but has some nuance been missed in the translation from German?

That said, further down the page:

Quote:
Upper Austria

In Upper Austria, the following measures are in force in addition to the nationwide regulations:

Full lockdown until preliminary 17 December
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scarlet,
If the snow that is promised this week comes plus more before 13/12, and the lockdown really does end on the 13/12 I‘ll be up your neck of the woods on the train (to St Anton). Want it to happen but wouldn’t put my money on it at the moment.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 25-11-21 20:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It also depends on which body is managing the vaccination centre on a day to day basis. When my OH had her booster the couple behind her in the queue were one month or so early for their boosters. They needed the boosters there and then because South Africa's requirements had become at least one month since the last vaccination but no more than (I think) five. They were going to SA just over four weeks hence so it was important. Once they had explained to the lady in charge (from a consortium of local surgeries) they got their boosters. When the same vaccination centre is managed by an NHS team there is less flexibility.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DB, along with the rest of the country if Salzburg etc. are still locked up! Was it Von Laar btw? She does herself no favours.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB wrote:

Lets hope the intensive care beds become free and the Index continues to drop.

Not really, as that will probably mean someone leaving the hospital in a box. Skiing can wait.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Not really, as that will probably mean someone leaving the hospital in a box
Or recovering sufficiently to leave intensive care - which is no doubt what DB had in mind...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Scarlet,
Yep Von Laar - looks like a relative of the adams family. wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ulmerhutte wrote:
This site: https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information looks like an official (government?) site for tourism in Austria. It states:

Quote:
In Austria, due to the current Coronavirus infection situation, a temporary lockdown is in effect from 22 November until 13 December at the latest. Travel to Austria for touristic purposes will only be possible again after this period.

The “until 13 Dec at the latest” seems pretty definite in English, but has some nuance been missed in the translation from German?

That said, further down the page:

Quote:
Upper Austria

In Upper Austria, the following measures are in force in addition to the nationwide regulations:

Full lockdown until preliminary 17 December

That's the main Austrian Tourism Board and they are as reliable as anyone, but they also don't know yet (and that's a fact) whether the lockdown will be extended beyond 20 days. I assume they used those words because theoretically the lockdown could only be 10 days rather than 20, even though no-one expected that from the beginning.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DB, I figured. She’s from univ. Innsbruck and pops up regularly in the media to spread fear and panic without any consideration of the effect that has on people. Probably good for ratings or some such, to stick her on national. I’d put her back in her box rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Not really, as that will probably mean someone leaving the hospital in a box
Or recovering sufficiently to leave intensive care - which is no doubt what DB had in mind...

Yes exactly, esp. for those who got themselves vaccinated and other non-COVID patients.
snow conditions
Yesterday our ski area (Ski Juwel) was saying they were opening on 13th, today has they have updated the website to 10th!
snow conditions
Chris_n wrote:
Yesterday our ski area (Ski Juwel) was saying they were opening on 13th, today has they have updated the website to 10th!

Fingers crossed!

Our local hills (Dachstein West), claim they’ll be open from the 4th (they usually manage to get one slope open) …whilst it’s now snowing, and the cannons are running, they’ll need some fairly decent snowfall between now and then to avoid a sketchy experience Laughing . Various forecasts put as much as 50cm at the top and 25cm at the base station, over the next week. So who knows?

Re opening, there seems to be a fair bit of confusion over whether the nationwide lockdown end date (13th Dec) will be observed by both Salzburgerland and Upper Austria who had originally declared lockdown until the 17th. The daily infection rates for both states are coming down. I guess we shall have to wait and see what the picture and subsequent announcements are on the 2nd December.
ski holidays
Chris_n wrote:
@Earlydoors, Michel is not full time any more, he usually comes for high season but his girlfriend has a 'proper' job now. If I remember correctly the last ski school picture was taken 2 years ago. I think Michel was here earlier in the season that year.

Good to hear he's sticking with the outdoors as much as he can.
I learned a lot from him. He took me down my first black and the Red 19 snowHead

Always fun in Niederau
snow report
Hey folks

Do not under estimate the passion of millions in Austria , Germany, Switzerland

All the places you like to visit
hi
tFolks (millions) here have other views ....

Try to understand and respect free choices ......

Lastnight

http://youtube.com/v/OB_4yFYyzmY
snow conditions
Hey @stanton, how is your taxi business going to cope with the crisis?
ski holidays
Not sure about millions, the largest demo in Austria has only been 40K and many of them were right wing supporters and people generally peed off with the current situation. Going out on the street and protesting seems to be the done thing nowadays, whether it‘s against climate change, COVID or anything else you are not happy with. Instead of going to a demo you could do something more useful and get vaccinated.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:

Try to understand and respect free choices

Critical operations are being cancelled because normally free intensive care beds are being taken up, mostly by non-vaccinated people. If it‘s your free choice not to be vaccinated then it should be coupled with the choice not to be first in line for an intensive care bed. People who have been vaccinated or have another non-COVID related issue should get priority on intensive care beds. Another thing, why should we pay for your bad choices? Your health insurance premiums should also be higher.
snow report
DB wrote:
stanton wrote:

Critical operations are being cancelled because normally free intensive care beds are being taken up, mostly by non-vaccinated people. If it‘s your free choice not to be vaccinated then it should be coupled with the choice not to be first in line for an intensive care bed. People who have been vaccinated or have another non-COVID related issue should get priority on intensive care beds. Another thing, why should we pay for your bad choices? Your health insurance premiums should also be higher.

Agree with all of this.
snow report
More good and bad news.
The 7Austrian day index dropped for another day, the number of intensive care beds taken up also dropped slightly. Unfortunately there are suspected Omikron cases in the UK, Germany, Italy and Austria (Tirol). 61 people in the Netherlands on a flight back from South Africa were tested positive for COVID. Israel has closed it's borders again.
snow report
@DB, you omit to mention the 50 flights from SA the UK allowed to land since the Omicron variant was discovered #stabledoor
latest report
@Snowsartre,
I did mention the UK but as I don't live there anymore hadn't heard about the UK flights back from SA.

Another bit of good news, although the new variant is reported to be very contagious the symptoms do not appear to be extreme according to this link.

Link in German - anyone have a similar link in English?
https://www.msn.com/de-at/nachrichten/coronavirus/symptome-infizierter-ungew%C3%B6hnlich-aber-bisher-mild/ar-AARdD8c?ocid=entnewsntp

I always try to be positive, maybe this new variant will act as a "nature vaccine" for the anti-vaxers.
Unvaccinated people are more likely to end up in intensive care. People in intensive care are more likely to die from COVID. Does this mean when this is all over there will be far less stupid people in the western world?
ski holidays
In my opinion, it means international travel without vaccination could be next to impossible for a few years yet.
snow report
And the simple answer to that is to get vaccinated, not just to protect yourself, but to protect others and to lessen the risks for the most vulnerable.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stanton, the "anti" referendum in Switzerland has been decisively lost, perhaps its a few thousand who make a lot of noise not mythical millions?
snow report
DB wrote:
stanton wrote:

I’d also like to see the non-vaxxed not being covered by their health insurance here and being invoiced for any health related medical assistance that is Covid related.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
stanton wrote:
@rob@rar, @terrygasson, etc

I made my position very Clear that I will not be vaccinated

and to add

I'm not an anti vaxxer per se but these are not jabs and are not out of trials until 2023.

That's bullshit. Just accept it, you are a part of the problem. Your hypocrisy in coming here and preaching about what people should do while you refuse to do the right thing yourself speaks of your character, in an entirely negative way.

These vaccines are the most tested in human history.

I wonder if he’s been rioting?
snow conditions
@Cacciatore, I too am wondering if or when the medical/travel insurance companies will decide to refuse cover covid claims from those who choose to remain unvaccinated, or at least increase the premiums exponentially. This from a purely business risk point of view, not for any ethical/political/human rights reasons. Worldwide, most national and international medical care is privately insured (unlike the UK). ICUs are full of non vaccinated people and this impacts on other healthcare treatment that insurers also cover. Its been going on long enough for there to be usable data. Will they continue to pay out to those who choose to avoid a measurable risk that is unlike the long term risk of smoking/obesity/accidents etc?
latest report
blueski2 wrote:
@Cacciatore, I too am wondering if or when the medical/travel insurance companies will decide to refuse cover covid claims from those who choose to remain unvaccinated, or at least increase the premiums exponentially. This from a purely business risk point of view, not for any ethical/political/human rights reasons. Worldwide, most national and international medical care is privately insured (unlike the UK). ICUs are full of non vaccinated people and this impacts on other healthcare treatment that insurers also cover. Its been going on long enough for there to be usable data. Will they continue to pay out to those who choose to avoid a measurable risk that is unlike the long term risk of smoking/obesity/accidents etc?

Oh it's already happening

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/11/09/1053889069/singapore-medical-bills-covid-19-patients-unvaccinated-by-choice?t=1638204079286

Frankly if you won't take the preventative medicine because "reasons" (aka you are a scientifically illiterate nut job that is incapable of properly determining the path of least risk) then don't expect the cost of the medical care to be to be covered if you fall ill from that disease you refused to take the preventative medicine for.

There is a huge difference between refusing to take a vaccine which is a one off thing and long term behaviour modification which is say stopping smoking (though the tax on tobacco needs to cover *all* the societal costs which it is no where near doing at the moment) or cutting ones diet back.
ski holidays
Gerry wrote:

These vaccines are the most tested in human history.

I wonder if he’s been rioting?

That's probably not true. There has been way more vaccinations given for other diseases.

That said a few billion jabs in it is interesting to note that anti-vaxers are shifting from "they are not tested" to "we don't know about long term side effects", aka ones that might manifest themselves in the future. Thing is there are no known long term side effects for any vaccine, so the chances of there being one for a COVID-19 vaccine are somewhere around ħ.
latest report
An article in the Süddeutsche about how the unvaccinated are causing the current situation but its behind the paywall (basically around 85% of cases caused by unvaccinated folk) but thought the final paragraph very apposite here

Quote:
An example from everyday life may help to illustrate the effectiveness of the vaccination and to classify the risk of vaccination breakthroughs. If more and more drivers are driving with winter tyres, there will be more and more accidents in winter with this type of tyre. With 100 percent cars with winter tyres, all accidents will happen despite protective equipment. Applied to vaccination, this means that with almost 60 million vaccinated people in Germany, the proportion of both infected and hospital patients is inevitably increasing. Vaccinations protect - just like winter tyres - quite well, but not 100 percent. It is the unvaccinated who are driving the pandemic.

No mention of snow chains though Very Happy
ski holidays
Cacciatore wrote:
DB wrote:
stanton wrote:

I’d also like to see the non-vaxxed not being covered by their health insurance here and being invoiced for any health related medical assistance that is Covid related.

Be careful what you wish for.

Fancy having your health record / habits reviewed before being admitted to hospital? Smoking / drinking / diet / sports protective equipment / sport high risk?

Don't think this could happen?

I never believed a democratic state would be able to threaten its citizens with removal of privileges.

Look after your own risk and let others do likewise.
snow report
cooperman17 wrote:
The best way for me to look after my own risk, risk to health and risk of disruption to my life, is to require other people to be fully vaccinated. How do I go about ensuring other people are vaccinated?
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
An article in the Süddeutsche about how the unvaccinated are causing the current situation but its behind the paywall (basically around 85% of cases caused by unvaccinated folk) but thought the final paragraph very apposite here

No mention of snow chains though Very Happy
Laughing

The equivalent to icu admission with covid complications in snow chain terms, would be like walking to the hyper market to buy a set of chains, going back to your car to fit them (really easy job as it's upside down in a ditch) then finding the chains are not suitable for your vehicle. Very Happy
latest report
Austrian 7 day index continues to drop (Last week from 1107 down to 936 so approx. 15%). Intensive care beds are up slightly by 5 more to 628.
ski holidays
[quote="cooperman17"][quote="Cacciatore"]
DB wrote:
stanton wrote:

Don't think your quite grabbing the sentiment of this community are you, we love arrivals here with direct instruction as to just what we should be doing Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy