Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria in Crisis... Lockdown... Ski Season in doubt..

Poster: A snowHead
DB wrote:
mikeycharlton wrote:
So 0% protection after 5 months from the AZ vaccine??? Not sure about that.

Feel free to put up some other 'evidence'.

mikeycharlton wrote:
Also they HAVE exploded in the UK, about 3 months ago and stayed high ever since.

Austria's infection rate per 100,000 people is over 1000, some areas are around 2500. How does that compare with the UK?

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59378849

Wouldn't the cases and deaths be off the scale in the UK if AZ vaccine dropped to 0% after 5 months, since that's what most of us had?

Well the graph says it all doesn't it? Austria clearly much higher than the UK if you're looking at the last couple of weeks, but somewhere between 2 and 10 times less over the previous 5 months.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mikeycharlton wrote:
Wouldn't the cases and deaths be off the scale in the UK if AZ vaccine dropped to 0% after 5 months, since that's what most of us had?

Must admit it confused me too. Here in Austria the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines are used for the boosters (as opposed to AstraZeneca) because the belief is that AZ drops off quicker. Maybe that was the view at the time when the infection rate in the UK was much higher than here.

mikeycharlton wrote:
Well the graph says it all doesn't it? Austria clearly much higher than the UK if you're looking at the last couple of weeks, but somewhere between 2 and 10 times less over the previous 5 months.

This might explain it better.

http://youtube.com/v/P8su3YIPWEo
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DB, AZ is not used as a booster in the UK, only Pfizer or Moderna.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think this is a good summary of the effectiveness of the Pfizer and AZ vaccines over time including the clear waning of protection after dose 2, but not to zero protection (against testing positive with symptomatic Covid). The impact off the booster is also clear, significantly so in terms of AZ which is increases to a higher level of protection than that gained by the first two doses.

This is UK data, from the UK Health Security Agency (formerly Public Health England). The booster shot in this graph is Pfizer, regardless of what vaccine was used for the first two doses. No data, yet, for Moderna when used as a booster.

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB wrote:
It's believed by some that the COVID figures in the UK have not exploded like mainland Europe because the Pfzier/Biontech vaccine is effective for a longer period than some other vaccines.
Most of the recent vaccinations in Austria (up to Sat 20/11) were actually booster jabs.

Odd. That picture is not being corroborated in the UK real world data, see page 5 here, https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1034383/Vaccine-surveillance-report-week-46.pdf Vaxzevria (AZ) does wane to around 50% at around 6 months, but certainly not to 0 ??
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:

Do you know why AZ is not used as a booster in the UK?

The graph I posted earlier does show that a mix of AZ plus Pfizer or Moderna gives a better longterm protection than some other (non-mixed) vaccines.
Does anbody know if people in the UK generally had two shots of AZ or a mix of AZ plus another vaccine?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DB, My understanding is that those who had the AZ had two shots and the booster is Pfizer or Moderna. I had two AZ and a Pfizer booster.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DB, mostly people had the same vaccine for Dose 1 and Dose 2.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When did people generally have boosters in the UK after 4 or 6 months?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

The graph I posted earlier does show that a mix of AZ plus Pfizer or Moderna gives a better longterm protection than some other (non-mixed) vaccines.
Does anbody know if people in the UK generally had two shots of AZ or a mix of AZ plus another vaccine?

The reasearch showed a better response with 2x AZ followed by Pfizer booster or 2x Pfizer follwed by Pfizer booster than 2x Pfizer follwed by AZ. It seems the combination of AZ follwed by Pfizer produces a potent response, though boosters overall significantly improves immunity more than the intial response to two vaccines.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:

6 months seems to be the norm.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

the evidence was that a Pfizer/Moderna booster is more effective than AZ, so that is why AZ is not used.
Generally, people had the same vaccine for both jabs.
In rare circumstances there was a mix & match. I had mix & match due to an AZ reaction. All the symptoms & blood tests of a blood clot, but no actual blood clots found!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB wrote:

you are not eligible until 6 months after your 2nd Jab
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So maybe it really is a timing issue (as stated in the last video clip I posted). The vaccine was rolled out earlier in the UK so people were getting boosters a few weeks/months ago whereas only recently have most people in Austria become eligible for their booster. AZ may not be a good vaccine/booster but the early non-AZ boosters saved the explosion we are seeing in some central european countries.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 24-11-21 19:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Most people in Austria are becoming eligible as Autumn / Winter is already upon us whereas the UK got theirs started while people were still spending a lot of time outdoors (could have been a bit quicker though) . What never ceases to amaze me is how little notice was taken of events in Israel. Austria was always going to find itself going into the winter with lowering protection and did nothing to mitigate against it. At least now the majority of injections are boosters so will probably have a quicker impact on case numbers and there are reports of high demand for children under 12 with all Tirolean vaccine centres and many doctors gearing up to offer this.
snow conditions
@Chris_n, you make a good point about ignoring the evidence from Israel, and slightly more recently from the UK. This will happen to other countries in due course, perhaps with the double whammy of coinciding with winter when many more indoor interactions take place. This is a great shame, but there was a warning…
ski holidays
DB wrote:
So maybe it really is a timing issue (as stated in the last video clip I posted). The vaccine was rolled out earlier in the UK so people were getting boosters a few weeks/months ago whereas only recently have most people in Austria become eligible for their booster. AZ may not be a good vaccine/booster but the early non-AZ boosters saved the explosion we are seeing in some central european countries.

We had a long gap between doses. 12 weeks instead of the recommended 3 weeks. So while we started earlier, with our longer gap, it may work out around even.
While 40+ has been confirmed they are entitled to a vaccine, we are only just about entering those 50+
TO give an idea - the 65-69 age group boosters have already reached over 60% of the age group, while the 60-64 age is only around 15%
latest report
i believe (disclaimer: i have no idea other than what i read) that pfizer generates a stronger anti-body response and AZ generates a stronger t-cell response
antibodies help you fight off covid; t-cells are a template for what the body needs to do when it detects covid
maybe thats why they are mixing

anyways.. what's the chances of my austrian ski trip going ahead on 19th december?
did i see a slight drop off in 7 day case average
snow conditions
@Earlydoors, you did. I guess we will have a better idea about your trip at the mid point of lockdown when things are reviewed.
ski holidays
@Earlydoors, down 40% since 20 November
snow report
Snowsartre wrote:
@Earlydoors, down 40% since 20 November

love it snowHead
snow report
hey @Chris_n, just noticed that your an instructor at http://www.1-skischule-wildschoenau.at/

big shout out to dutch instructor called michel; i don't see him in the photo; hope he's ok
snow report
An analysis here https://www.ft.com/content/974487ab-54be-4b43-945c-597277aa1292 of uk vs neighbours in terms of recent covid numbers, with conclusion that allowing us out to watch England lose the euro finals (well, doesn't quite say that but that the gist) plus early 3rd jab push has flattend the curve for uk as more folk have been infected or jabbed. Not the most encouraging comments on situation in Austria.
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
DB wrote:

That's been reduced to 5 months now. I had my booster last week, 5.5 months after my 2nd jab Very Happy.
ski holidays
@Earlydoors,
Your chances are probably better if your ski holiday is not in the Salzburg area.
snow report
@waynos, Ft's paywalled, I think this thread (from the FT's data team) summarises that article, and is a quicker, unpaywalled read, https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1463450302212886530.html Happy

Germany not looking great either in the oldies. There is a very illuminating graph demonstrating how having only a small %age un-vaxed in a vulnerable cohort rapidly overwhelms your ICU capacity.
snow conditions
@under a new name,

Great link, thanks.
Spain and Italy are very low. Spain looks like they got their vaccination process sorted out a lot better than others. Not sure why Italy are doing so well.
ski holidays
@Earlydoors, Michel is not full time any more, he usually comes for high season but his girlfriend has a 'proper' job now. If I remember correctly the last ski school picture was taken 2 years ago. I think Michel was here earlier in the season that year.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yesterday in German TV was a reportage for AUT
There were some Medical Students from Wien, and they said a few things about Vaccin etc in AUT
In Wien the Vaccin Rate is relativ higt. Instead of Upper AUT
Then they had a part of a speech in the local parliament in Upper AUT
There was someone from FPÖ i think, and er hat in hand a medicament for parasites for Horses and Dogs and other animals
He said that this is the cure for Covid19 and not the vaccin. And the keep it secret because of the pharma companies etc....This medicament is sold out in Upper AUT.

unbelievable

PS i have just noticed that sometimes i write something between German and English....phui...sorry
ski holidays
turms2 wrote:
PS i have just noticed that sometimes i write something between German and English....phui...sorry
But still entirely understandable!
snow report
@turms2, yes, there was a report last week that someone had died after overdosing on Ivermectin (the horse worming pills) in Austria but they wouldn't take the vaccine rolling eyes Give them a Darwin award. I don't understand it, but then I still to full understand the culture here. Maybe you have a better idea why?

PS. don't worry about the German, it's perfectly understandable Very Happy
snow report
@turms2, I understand you perfectly. But I am an Austrian who formerly lived in UK. And you are correct, the FPÖ and followers have made a bad situation worse. I understand there are also people in hospital being treated for the effects of taking the horse medicine. rolling eyes
snow conditions
@turms2, it's not only for horses and dogs, but is used also for humans. So to be fair, it's not veterinary only drug. It's normal drug. There's "slight" problem, that parasites, for what this drug is used to, have very little to do with Covid19 viruses. But if someone is ready to drink bleach to "clean" their bodies from covid, I'm not too surprised they would go for any drug either. It still somehow surprises me, that people are so against vaccination because it's not enough research and noone knows about long term side effects (which I agree with this to some extent), but they are happy to use any other drug, which is proven that it doesn't do a shi**t, and have way more severe side effects then vaccine.
@DB, Italy had so high numbers last time, that most likely majority of people already had it. And when I look at numbers in hospitals here in Slovenia, there's very very few people in hospitals who already had covid19 before. So i guess that one of Gs is working better then the other (two) of Gs, and that somehow might explain low Italian numbers.
snow report
https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/why-you-should-not-use-ivermectin-treat-or-prevent-covid-19
snow conditions
Scarlet wrote:
@turms2, yes, there was a report last week that someone had died after overdosing on Ivermectin (the horse worming pills) in Austria but they wouldn't take the vaccine rolling eyes Give them a Darwin award. I don't understand it, but then I still to full understand the culture here. Maybe you have a better idea why?

PS. don't worry about the German, it's perfectly understandable Very Happy

to be honest i can not explain this.
Maybe some people are more affected from religion etc. Or they live in small villages where probably the way they think has not do do with ours?

However i have noticed.
In Germany the most high Rate (pro 100.000) can someone find in Bayern and Sachen . Especially in Bavaria there is only in the areas which are at the border with Austria and especially Salzburg (where the infection rate pro 100.000 ist also very high).
Both in these areas the vaccine reate is relativ low

A research shows that in Sachsen and East Germany the majority of the people who do want to get the Vaccin are tending to the right wing (e.g. AFD) and in Austria are also the same.

But on the other hand in Baden-Württemberg the majority of the deniers are from the Left wings (Linke) or especially from the Oko - Partei (Die Grünen)

I understand only for the last. The Oko - Partei believers . The folllow this Anthroposophic medicine & Philosophie....

But for the rest? i have no idea
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
there was a report last week that someone had died after overdosing on Ivermectin (the horse worming pills) in Austria but they wouldn't take the vaccine rolling eyes Give them a Darwin award.

Sorry, I should've checked this before posting a it's not quite right.

Someone who trusted Ivermectin died, but from Covid not overdose. Two members of the same family died: https://ooe.orf.at/stories/3130590/

The overdose I got mixed up with was from another story the same day in which someone else hospitalised themselves by overdosing on VitD on advice from another family member: https://steiermark.orf.at/stories/3130503/
snow report
turms2 wrote:

kein Problem.

I had a brain fart the other day and instead of saying "gloves" I said "hand shoes".
snow conditions
Mankei wrote:
@turms2, I understand you perfectly. But I am an Austrian who formerly lived in UK. And you are correct, the FPÖ and followers have made a bad situation worse. I understand there are also people in hospital being treated for the effects of taking the horse medicine. rolling eyes

This is better than Trump's bleaching remedy.

Ich bin im falschen Film. wink
ski holidays
primoz wrote:
@DB, Italy had so high numbers last time, that most likely majority of people already had it. And when I look at numbers in hospitals here in Slovenia, there's very very few people in hospitals who already had covid19 before. So i guess that one of Gs is working better then the other (two) of Gs, and that somehow might explain low Italian numbers.

I did think that but then looked up the number of cases per capita and Italy is much further done the list than the UK or Austria. Although the number of deaths per capital is more for Italy.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
DB wrote:

That's been reduced to 5 months now. I had my booster last week, 5.5 months after my 2nd jab Very Happy.

Not quite correct - you can book 152 days after receiving your second jab and I am guessing that once you can book then if you could select the next day then you could get a jab. I'm am trying to get mine but 152 days after my second jab is next Thursday I believe so won't let me in the system until then
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy