Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria returns to lockdown Nov 2021

Poster: A snowHead
@richb67, in fairness, your first link is to a journalist's article ...not any sort of reviewed study ... or indeed review of studies.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
[/quote]

Due to travel on the 11th
Sunweb has cancelled my booking.[/quote]

Gutted Sad . Due to fly with Ingham’s
On 13 December, they are announcing what will happen to this booking over the weekend according to the agent. Keep hoping against hope…
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got a week from the 14th booked. Not holding out much hope now
I've not been keeping too close an eye on things but where do you think the safest bet for that week will be? Italy, France or Switzerland....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
facedown wrote:
There’s no evidence to support the efficacy of lockdowns and mask wearing, particularly the type being used the most is pointless for an aerosol type virus.
Some evidence on the effect of mask wearing, from a professor of epidemiology. Not a magic bullet solution, but a contribution to inhibiting the spread of the virus.

https://twitter.com/bencowling88/status/1461617969067282434
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rob@rar, an excellent thread, thanks. The BMJ paper is ever so slightly dodgy. Confidence ntervals enormous. Another nail in the BMJ's reputational coffin, sadly.

If masks help 10-20% but cost next to nothing ... then in appropriate settings* - why ever not?

*walking around a windy street is not appropriate. Contagion theatre does not engender trust in authority
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
The BMJ paper is ever so slightly dodgy.
I think so. I believe they have published comments which highlight the deficiencies in the paper.

Full Fact makes some useful comments: https://fullfact.org/health/mask-wearing-study-edinburgh-guardian/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowsartre wrote:

Due to travel on the 11th
Sunweb has cancelled my booking.[/quote]

Gutted Sad . Due to fly with Ingham’s
On 13 December, they are announcing what will happen to this booking over the weekend according to the agent. Keep hoping against hope…[/quote]

Now looking at Basel/Laax as an alternative.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just to say the line by laforet on the previous page was one of the best arguments I've heard for everything.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’m a mask wearer most of the time. It occurred to me earlier though that Austria as I understand it have mandated FFP2 masks in enclosed public spaces for some time, yet their figures are bad. So perhaps masks PLUS full vaccination is needed?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@bambionskiis, yes. A range of countermeasures are required. Vaccine, masks, distance, ventilation.
It was said from the beginning that vaccination or infection antibody rates of around 80% were required to break the transmission chains, plus other precautions.
These locking down countries only have their own people's to blame for the economic damage now. I'm sure business owners are well annoyed at losses at the busiest time of the year.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bambionskiis, FFP2 masks have only been mandated in all indoor areas for a couple of days. They were previously required in supermarkets, banks etc but not clothes shops, sports shops, DIY shops etc. The settings where most transmission occurs are not compatible with mask use anyway, private gatherings, parties, night clubs etc.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bambionskiis, Impossible to tell the effect of each intervention when lots of them are being imposed at once. Do you remember your science teachers talking about 'fair tests' at school...?
But most evidence points towards preventing social mixing at home as the most effective...masks (proper medical ones, worn properly) may help at the margins but unless you stop the former, you're not going to get far. But, hey, they make people 'feel' safe and 'send a signal' about Covid being around.....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
colinstone wrote:
These locking down countries only have their own people's to blame for the economic damage now.

The govt should take a large share of the blame too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@colinstone,
Quote:

These locking down countries only have their own people's to blame for the economic damage now.

This.

Forgetting the business element (though I am hoping for solid bookings this winter) I would personally be well annoyed if M. Macron did a Johnson and curtailed my fully vaccinated activities now. I'm not sure that the French would put up with it tbh, not with ~70% fully vaccinated (+ I think ((Under the FR definition)) this is an underestimate as I suspect it doesn't count infected + 1 jab). EDIT: French MoH stats are 87.6% fully vaccinated including children > 12 yo.

Either vaccines work (they do) and pass sanitaire + indoor masking should be suffiicient or they don't (they do) and I have a nice guide to hunting and gathering for you at a very reasonable price.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Owlette wrote:
The trouble is it's the vehement anti-vaxxers that also wander round with their sunflower lanyards (something that drives me nuts as a SEN teacher as it dilutes the point of them for those in genuine need) and 'exemption passes' that they ordered on Amazon, thus keeping us all in a permanent state of lockdown/no lockdown limbo.

This is a major problem, as there are far too many people falsely claiming an exemption, with the culprits claiming it is illegal for you to ask for details of why they are exempt.

Even if diagnosed with a medical issue that could be exempt, it won't always be at an advanced enough stage to justify not wearing a mask. The increased risks should be enough to convince most genuine cases.
Personally, if I have any reason to doubt the validity of their exemption claim, I would invoke my right to refuse their custom, on the grounds that I am protecting my other (regular) customers.

The exemption certificate should have been added to the NHS app from the start, and should require the agreement of a clinician for it to be issued. I believe that the vast majority of those with clinical reasons for an exemption would be under some form of medical supervision or treatment, so this should be a formality.
ski holidays
Looks unlikely that Austria will be up and running for our trip on 13th so looking to change flights and probably go to France or Italy instead. Now I have to research resorts, transfer times etc etc.
ski holidays
@brianatab, there are very few claiming exceptions here, I think they need a certificate off the doctor if they do.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy