Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt on a budget (yes I know its an oxymoron).

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@drbeier, ah that’s it!
Oh, it’s closed down. What a shame!
Unless maybe she closed last season and hasn’t opened up again this year yet.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The way to do Zermatt on the cheap is to stay in Italy and ski over! Cool

I was in Aosta Valley just before lockdown. The local takeaway pizza was €5.50-€7 depending on toppings.

Even the liftpass is cheaper on the Italian side! Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@luigi, Agreed re prices, and we are in Cervinia this year as we have a beginner, but…
In Zermatt the view of the Matterhorn is better
Nightlife is much better
Restaurants more and top class
Many different types of slope including more offpiste if that’s your thing, which only good skiers would reach in a day from Italy, and could not ski for the day.

I love Cervinia, but Zermatt is amazing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've not been to Zermatt for a few years but it's definitely somewhere everyone should go to at least once. It's never going to be a budget option but provided you keep away from the 5* hotels etc I didn't think it was any more expensive than some French resorts (Val d'Isere, Les Arcs etc) - ok, that's not saying a great deal but it is doable on a mid-range budget. Eating lunch on the Cervinia side will save a lot as already mentioned (we went to Cime Bianche several times, but no idea if it's still there) but there are cheaper options on the Zermatt side as well.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@drbeier, I would agree with others that Chalet Etoile is a "must-do" but you will need to book. My other favourite is Findlerhof which has great views on a clear day.
From your first post it sounded like you were also planning some restaurant dinner meals in town. If so, one of my favourites is the Stube in the cellar of the "Romantic Hotel Julen"I think its called the Schaferstube. Not too far from your accom. The best lamb on a fire I've ever had.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Would recommend going out for a fondue night. Cue cheesy jokes. snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@twoodwar,
Is North Wall the one on the side of the Hotel Rhodania?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ryanbakewell52, i dont think you can use poverty and Zermatt in the same post with a straight face snowHead

Eating out with young kids in Switzerland is a PITA because you weep blowing 20 chf on spaghetti & tomato sauce and cant sit and enjoy a proper long lunch. I hope these restaurants are still kicking in 10yrs time! At least their lift passes are free til they're 9.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For what it's worth I've skied Zermatt many times in the past twenty years and found that Jackson Hole in Wyoming is more expensive.
I've skied there and Grand Targhee
and found both resorts more expensive. The way I've found to balance the budget in Zermatt is to rent an apartment and mix and match the eating side. Have a few meals in during the week, make use of the supermarkets in the village, fill the fridge up with beer/wine and relax on the balcony/terrace for your apres. The local Fendant white wine and red wine (Dole) are very reasonably priced if bought from the excellent Coop near the railway station. Taking this approach makes room for having a few meals out on the mountain or in resort. Personally, I have found that Zermatt has some of the best restaurants in the world and I'm well travelled. Any beef dishes tend to be very expensive as a lot of the meat is imported so pork, chicken, pasta and pizza tend to be more reasonable. With a sensible approach I don't think Zermatt is any more expensive than Val d isere, Lech or Ischgl. Eating out on the Italian side is more reasonable. One thing I will say is that Zermatt is the one resort I return to more regularly and feel the quality of the overall package is worth paying for. I never tire of looking at the iconic Matterhorn, that alone is priceless. Go for it, you wont regret it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kenzie wrote:
@twoodwar,
Is North Wall the one on the side of the Hotel Rhodania?

Spot on. Its excellent.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We are planning a trip to either Zermatt or Solden for Easter 2022. I'm comparing costs for lift passes and ski lessons, but not sure I am looking in the right places - as it looks like lift passes are over CHF400 and (group) lessons for kids are around CHF500 (600 for the 4 year old). Can that be correct??
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@boardiac, yes. Wilkommen in der Schweiz…

Lift passes are free for under 9’s but thats about the only discount.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Kenzie, yes Steinmattsrasse. Late answer , Run28 beat me!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I stayed a couple of times at the Rhodania - there was a door from it's restaurant into the North Wall.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
After a particularly heavy night around 15 years ago, trying to keep up with a bunch of Norwegians in the Papperla, we went to the North wall to eat. I am ashamed to say I fell asleep in the Pizza! What a waste.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy