Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Masks in lift queues in France

Poster: A snowHead
@Charliegolf, on the travel pass bit. There are now three doses recorded with QR codes, the latest being dose 3 of 3. According to Weathercam it is accepted by the French app (haven't tried it, since it is too early for the one month validity to cover our next proposed trip).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@j b, That's a relief, thanks. We Welsh piggy back on the NHS app, so I'll get a pal to check, since I haven't had mine yet.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do children under 12 have to wear masks in queues and on lifts too? We're bringing an 8 year old to France in January.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@j b, @Charliegolf, Booster has now shown up in my NHS app ( 3 of 3), I have successfully uploaded to French TAC app where it immediately accepts it as valid. Double checked using the TAC Verif app which also recognises it as valid.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Timc, In August the TAc Verif act happily read the NHS app.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Charliegolf wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
Arctic Roll wrote:
At 61, I'm on the cusp of needing the booster to be shown on the app... C'mon tory boys, get you act together.

They got their act together indeed. My booster has appeared on my app record today! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

On the covid pass bit of the app; or the GP record?

Yes. On my records in the app Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@oldschool72, unsure but at mo they do need to wear them in school
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
oldschool72 wrote:
Do children under 12 have to wear masks in queues and on lifts too? We're bringing an 8 year old to France in January.

Good question actually, young kids can barely handle their goggles, let alone full face masks
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi all,

Been away for a fair while as couldn't bring myself to look at ski stuff without the prospect of getting on the white stuff myself! But starting to get (cautiously) excited for getting back to the 3V in late Jan.

Do we have confirmation on what type of facemask to wear on lifts/queues etc will be accepted? I've always worn a snood/buff anyway so no issues pulling that up over the nose where required.
Certainly here in the UK, snoods seem to be accepted for going in and out of shops. Or are we going to need to get "proper" face masks?

On a different note, I did find getting my vaccination proof on the NHS app very easy and simple.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fridge03 wrote:
But starting to get (cautiously) excited for getting back to the 3V in late Jan.

I have been too, although the recent announcements have started getting me a little worried again!!

Quote:
Do we have confirmation on what type of facemask to wear on lifts/queues etc will be accepted? I've always worn a snood/buff anyway so no issues pulling that up over the nose where required.

I think it's safe to say that whatever the rules are now, there's a strong chance they may be different come late Jan. I've got myself (as have others) one of the la plagne buffs that have a cat 1 covid stamp on - hopefully that will suffice but who knows! There's also a 3V version, but I think it's only cat 2 if I remember correctly,
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Handy Turnip, what is the the cat 1 buff? Family trip booked to laplagne in jan so sounds like a good idea and looking at what Austria have done our trip to ischgl 13/12 may be changed to France.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MogulMonkey, the La Plagne "buff" is oddly hard to find.
Try here: https://www.skipass-laplagne.com/fr/forfait-ski/tour-de-cou-2/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bergmeister, @Charliegolf, thanks for making me check again! - and there it is: Jab 3 of 3 in both Domestic and Travel sections.

Had confirmation that my La Plagne buffs are in the post today...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For the folks that have ordered the La Plagne buffs, Did you pay for postage? Just ordered a pair and it just said free delivery. If that's to Blighty it seems a bit of a bargain Very Happy.

We may get some grief as we're going to Val T but couldn't get the 3V website to accept my money.

I assume they'll be available in resort but nice to go prepared.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Gadge, 10 Euros each postage free.
latest report
@Timc, thank you. Result Very Happy
latest report
Thank you for the La Plagne buff link! They'll make great "stocking fillers" for the family at Christmas Very Happy . Too bad I had already bought a more expensive one for myself.
latest report
I am buying the 3 valleys ones. €15 each. 2 posted to UK is €40
snow report
I wonder if @admin is thinking about some buffs with filters for the bashes this season, or for selling on the site?

I see Serre Chevalier are selling some one their website, but at 20€ a go, I don't think they're going in the stockings just yet.
snow report
Buff also have a range of snoods with replaceable surgical filters, e.g. https://www.buff.com/gb/buff-filter-tube-graphite-htr.html
ski holidays
@Lucywuk, those 3 valleys ones are great, shame only the white is left
ski holidays
I ordered a couple of La Plagne buffs on 11 Nov, arrived today. Ten euros each, postage included.
ski holidays
Apologies - I was answering a completely different topic!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 20-11-21 19:36; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@rob@rar, how does the quality feel?
snow conditions
@rob@rar, Pretty quick turnaround for the La Plagne buffs, imagined they would arrive mid December for some reason.. ordered 3 on the 14/11 so should expect them mid week then Eh oh!
Anyone ordered their ski pass through la-plagne.com offer finishing last week & received them yet? Invoice mentioned that they will arrive at my postal address at least 7 days before start date.
snow report
Typical three valleys, everything always cost double Laughing I have never been to La Plagne but they look really smart. Might get one for the teenager who has.
ski holidays
DJL wrote:
DanishRider wrote:
Here is what you guys need: https://patrol-shop.com/

Perfect. A plain black mask. I guess you just need to take it off and show the liftie the label or fish out your receipt and demonstrate it’s compliant with the rules. Lift faff muchly.

Quite easy - Carry the little filter case that says FP2 - Just got it, and it is actually really good to wear. Obviously you can go for another solution, but for me this works very well - Do you by any chance know a better solution? I am open for ideas.
latest report
@rob@rar, Pretty quick turnaround for the La Plagne buffs, imagined they would arrive mid December for some reason.. ordered 3 on the 14/11 so should expect them mid week then Eh oh!
Anyone ordered their ski pass through la-plagne.com offer finishing last week & received them yet? Invoice mentioned that they will arrive at my postal address at least 7 days before start date.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skimum1 wrote:
@Lucywuk, those 3 valleys ones are great, shame only the white is left

The blue has been in and out of stock
I’ll keep my eye on it. Otherwise he gets white too
snow report
DanishRider wrote:
. . . - Do you by any chance know a better solution? I am open for ideas.

Yeah, based on what’s in this thread. How about: Don’t do that. Don’t get stuff which requires single use FFP2 or FFP3 filters, which are environmentally unfriendly, wasteful and can be a source of litter in quite a pristine environment, particularly as it’s both not necessary to have anything FFP2/FFP3 in France (check title of thread and contents) irrespective of what other Alpine nations may be up to at this moment, and also that FFP2/FFP3 is not recommended for use for community or barrier use, like in skiing, in France which is where you’re going. Avoid having more stuff to buy and carry. Avoid having more faff. Avoid having more cost. Avoid stuff that doesn’t carry the mark showing it’s approved for use in France, if you can. Avoid all black anonymous thingy leading to doubt in French resorts if people seeing you with it on, don’t know what it is. Avoid extra inconvenience. Avoid stuff that’s IMO ugly too. Instead look at the better completely washable and reusable alternatives available if you’re skiing just in France in the near future as some of us are, which are I hope nice and easy to use, and available in more attractive designs at a reasonable cost.

Apart from that you’re perfectly right.
ski holidays
Oleski wrote:
@rob@rar, how does the quality feel?
Fairly basic. It's just a tube made of a stretch material, which has a slightly unusual texture to it compared to other ski buffs that I've used. It's not shaped at all to fit around th nose and mouth, and doesn't have any loops or drawcords to hold it in place (although the stretch material should hold it in place if you just pull it up to cover the mouth and nose). It doesn't have a standardised reference on it like FFP2 or similar, but it does have a little logo which says Filtration Guaranteed and Tested to 50 Washes (in French) along with the La Plagne logo. It's not something I would choose to buy in normal times, but hoping that it will be recognised in Les Arcs and La Plagne as meeting whatever standards they have for facemarks in ski lifts.
latest report
@Oleski and others
apparently the FFP standards are as follows
FFP1 masks which filter at least 80% of aerosols (inward leakage < 22%);
FFP2 masks which filter at least 94% of aerosols (inward leakage < 8%);
FFP3 masks which filter at least 99% of aerosols (inward leakage < 2%).

The website for La Plagne mask claims to be - Filters 96%, Category 1 according to AFNOR standards, Approved for 50 washes.

At face value the La Plagne mask appears to better than FFP2 masks but then the cynic in me questions that these stats are measured against bacteria not viruses. The practical person in me says that these have to be a lot better than trying to make a FFP1 paper based surgical type mask last all day in the mountains.
latest report
Fat George wrote:
DanishRider wrote:
. . . - Do you by any chance know a better solution? I am open for ideas.

Yeah, based on what’s in this thread. How about: Don’t do that. Don’t get stuff which requires single use FFP2 or FFP3 filters, which are environmentally unfriendly, wasteful and can be a source of litter in quite a pristine environment, particularly as it’s both not necessary to have anything FFP2/FFP3 in France (check title of thread and contents) irrespective of what other Alpine nations may be up to at this moment, and also that FFP2/FFP3 is not recommended for use for community or barrier use, like in skiing, in France which is where you’re going. Avoid having more stuff to buy and carry. Avoid having more faff. Avoid having more cost. Avoid stuff that doesn’t carry the mark showing it’s approved for use in France, if you can. Avoid all black anonymous thingy leading to doubt in French resorts if people seeing you with it on, don’t know what it is. Avoid extra inconvenience. Avoid stuff that’s IMO ugly too. Instead look at the better completely washable and reusable alternatives available if you’re skiing just in France in the near future as some of us are, which are I hope nice and easy to use, and available in more attractive designs at a reasonable cost.

Apart from that you’re perfectly right.

Okay - Well you explained it yourself - I am not only skiing in France.
latest report
@Timc, "The practical person in me says that these have to be a lot better than trying to make a FFP1 paper based surgical type mask last all day in the mountains."

But ... you aren't trying to make anything "last all day" in any functional sense, all you need to be demonstrating is that you are wearing it in the queue, bubble etc. Not sure if you'll get away with a fag hole, but o'wise, ...
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Not sure if you'll get away with a fag hole, but o'wise, ...

Good job you're talking Europe. You'd definitely cause some raised eyebrows in North American. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
@brianatab, 'merkins, eh?
latest report
Currently in Val Thorens. At the lifts, there seems to be a person asking people to put on masks just after the gates at each one, along with signs and a dispenser of hand gel.

Majority of people seem to be complying, though masks seem to be quickly removed on chairlifts, and in gondolas some keep them on some don’t.

Variety of masks in use, from basic disposable ones, to fabric ones, and just normal buffs etc. Basically, if there is something covering your mouth and nose they seem to be happy.
latest report
@jonnyboy93, where are they putting the hand gel Puzzled seems slightly preposterous!
snow report
What about in the queues before the gates? Often very busy, and the point where most people jostle for position. Once through the gates, you are, effectively, distanced from those in front with only the person at the side to worry about.

If it's a chair lift, open to the environment, I don't honestly see the point, even in the queue. If you can catch it in the open, then all the advice of ventilation rooms is utter rubbish.

No problem with pulling a buff up, but faffing with a full mask will be a pita.

Are the rules being enforced inside buildings, where people often queue in cramped conditions for the larger cabins? This would make much more sense.

Don't see the point of taking off ski gloves in a queue to put on hand gel? What are you going to touch?
snow report
Not seen anyone using the hand gel dispensers at all.

In the scrum before the pass gates the amount of masks increases the nearer you get.

Lifts where you go inside before getting on (e.g Funitel Peclet) pretty much everyone wearing mask while waiting.

Likewise, supermarkets/shops etc, majority wearing masks unlike a trip to Tesco back home.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy