Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meds into Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As someone who needed some serious painkillers a few years ago in Flachau - just a heads up to anyone heading into Austria this season (assuming the rules are still the same).

At the time of my hour of need I could not buy at a nearby supermarket any of the 'normal' pain relief medications such as Ibuprofen / Anadin / CoCodamol - I had to go to a pharmacy to get them and it obviously wasn't as cheap or convenient as you would get them as in a supermarket.

Make sure you take a selection of meds between you, not just for hangovers and immediate pain relief but potentially for using on the journey home.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is not just Austria – pharmaceuticals aren't generally available in supermarkets in Europe, like in the UK. Ibuprofen is about 4x the price in the UK, paracetamol is about 10x. Guess where I buy my meds!

(Don't panic if you do end up needing prescription meds though, the fee won't bankrupt you.)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@oldsnowy, to be fair the pharmacy in Flachau is pretty convenient as its just at the end of the village, only open during the day of course.

and @Scarlet is correct, you can't get any meds in a supermarket in Europe

I took abotu 20 boxes of ibuprofen to my flat in Flachau about 10 years ago, I've still go most of them
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarlet wrote:
Ibuprofen is about 4x the price in the UK, paracetamol is about 10x.

The UK retail drug market for generics for this type of drug are wholey short term (even monthly) contracts, so the retailer asks all the distributors each month to bid their price and the lowest priced distributor supplies that month. Thus very cheap generics, and I would assume this type of market mechanism and competition in the generics has an impact on the branded drugs of essentially the same product, just a known brand and nicer packaging.

On the other hand generics in Europe are supplied on a long term contracted supply basis, so less price pressure on the supplier and thus higher prices.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
16p paracetamol in Boots! Here we have to go to a pharmacy and not all pharmacies are equal. Some are homeopathic so no use when you need the hard stuff.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
On the plus side, I can buy more than two packs of paracetamol at once here, if I want to. And if I can afford it - 10x the UK price would be nice Shocked
Strangely enough, every time we return to the UK, we buy as much paracetamol as we can.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Nadenoodlee, god, tell me about it! One of my doctors I have to ask if whatever she’s offered has the actual drugs in it before I take the script rolling eyes Also accidentally spent 5€ on a box of paracetamol before I’d realised what it was (on prescription, and it has a different name here). Must’ve looked like a walking pharmacy boarding at MAN in September Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I love our UK supermarkets I must admit! Long opening hours, open 7 days a week, when it does close on a Sunday there’s always a Tesco Express or a ‘corner shop’ if desperate for milk or whatever. Supermarket own brand paracetamol and ibuprofen for next to nothing. I always take my own with me too have been caught out before when I forgot one time.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mind you when I did my mini season in St Johann in Tirol there were at least 3 big supermarkets there (still not selling painkillers obviously) but I don’t think any of them were open past 7.30pm. It’s interesting isn’t it that in the UK you can find a supermarket open half the night quite easily so there must be the demand for it here. 3 times the size and 7.5 times the population will be something to do with it no doubt! Also I expect the trading hours allowed legally are different.

It’s certainly useful for early morning flights and things if you realise you’ve forgotten something.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy