Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada after covid

Poster: A snowHead
Ive been double jabbed .. but just had covid...travel to whistler on 12th jan.. do i just show my positive test result or do i still have to take a pcr before travelling.. had a look on their website and its not that clear !!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is a handy 'wizard' you can complete to see if you can enter.
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/wizard-start
I think your double jabbed status is all you need.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pie wrote:

Careful. Vaccination is necessary to enter, but it appears not to be sufficient - other criteria apply too.
The UK government's text continues:

Quote:
"If you are fully vaccinated
Fully vaccinated foreign nationals ... must:
- have a valid pre-arrival COVID-19 molecular test result taken no more than 72 hours before your scheduled flight or arrival
...Antigen tests, often called “rapid tests” are not accepted
If you do not have a valid test result, you will be denied boarding or entry. ....

They get that text from the Canadian government, who publish it here (look for link to "meet all other entry requirements":
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada
Where you'll find (dated November 8th):

They also say:
Quote:
Airlines will refuse boarding to travellers who are unable to provide a valid negative molecular test result
or proof of a previous positive molecular test result taken between 14 and 180 days.
Which you can check with your airline.

=> People who haven't had the disease need the test to get on the plane.
In the specific case of the OP, if they have "proof of a previous positive molecular test result taken
between 14 and 180 days" (my bold) then that plus the vaccination evidence together may be sufficient.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whoops, thanks @philwig for pointing that out.
My school trip to Canada is no more as it wasn't going to be possible to get the children into Canada I said that I'd still go but they didn't accept my kind offer... Fingers crossed we are now booked for the USA which is accepting unvaccinated under 18's
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's all desperately complicated. Checking and then checking again a few days before is the only way to go.
It's weird because it's really simple in principle (get vaccinated, get boosted, don't risk other people...),
but you end up needing lawyers to work it all out. And to throw money at it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm flying out the day before. In theory, tge vaccine cert plus the positive PCR test will be enough, but in your shoes i would get a negative test 72 hours before your scheduled departure abd rely on that.

Don't forget to complete your ArriveCAN doca as well
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Check the current news on Vancouver being cut off from the rest of Canada by road at the moment too if planning on driving anywhere.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They'll have the roads cleared by January easy, and anyway, YVR to Whsitler is clear regardless. The issue is getting into the interior
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Check the current news on Vancouver being cut off from the rest of Canada by road at the moment too if planning on driving anywhere.

yes , we're a bit screwed at the moment!
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-flood-watch-road-closures-1.6249154

It has been raining a huge amount for the last 2 months, and yesterday finished it off - last time it rained that much in one go my house flooded too Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Saintsman wrote:
They'll have the roads cleared by January easy, and anyway, YVR to Whsitler is clear regardless. The issue is getting into the interior

are you sure? the two major roads (1 and 5) literally are not there! Not going to be a quick fix, especially in winter.
99 and 3 are "only" blocked by mudslides so will get cleared, but you can't exactly put all that freight and traffic up/across 3 and 99 - rail not looking great either Sad

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 16-11-21 16:12; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To get to Whistler is the Sea to Sky part of the 99. There's issues on the 99 north of Pemberton, but that's a good 40+km past Whistler

In the context of the OP, the floods aren't anything particularly to worry about

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 16-11-21 15:57; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Saintsman,
in the scheme of things, getting to Whistler is not really a concern/priority

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 16-11-21 16:15; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
philwig wrote:
pie wrote:

Careful. Vaccination is necessary to enter, but it appears not to be sufficient - other criteria apply too.
The UK government's text continues:

Quote:
"If you are fully vaccinated
Fully vaccinated foreign nationals ... must:
- have a valid pre-arrival COVID-19 molecular test result taken no more than 72 hours before your scheduled flight or arrival
...Antigen tests, often called “rapid tests” are not accepted
If you do not have a valid test result, you will be denied boarding or entry. ....

They get that text from the Canadian government, who publish it here (look for link to "meet all other entry requirements":
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada
Where you'll find (dated November 8th):

They also say:
Quote:
Airlines will refuse boarding to travellers who are unable to provide a valid negative molecular test result
or proof of a previous positive molecular test result taken between 14 and 180 days.
Which you can check with your airline.

=> People who haven't had the disease need the test to get on the plane.
In the specific case of the OP, if they have "proof of a previous positive molecular test result taken
between 14 and 180 days" (my bold) then that plus the vaccination evidence together may be sufficient.

yeah, it is complicated. I'm not traveling at the moment (sort of need to for business, but putting it off for now).
Didn't hear about the previous positive test requirement, just thought you had to do the pcr regardless, and quarantine if not fully vaccinated.
Is the previous positive thing an airline or uk government thing (sounds a bit like it - think you might be best going with the Canadian government rules! Confused )? Because there's been quite a lot of discussion here recently about the need for/cost of/timing of the pcr, so can't see any way that is being skipped at the moment
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Saintsman wrote:
To get to Whistler is the Sea to Sky part of the 99. There's issues on the 99 north of Pemberton, but that's a good 40+km past Whistler

In the context of the OP, the floods aren't anything particularly to worry about

in the context of the busiest port in Canada and several million people being cutoff, several entire towns being under water... getting to Whistler to go skiing really isn't a priority right now rolling eyes

Can still go through the US of course, though they are also getting hammered, but then the above COVID travel rules apply...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Take the point, but that really is a different subject.

WRT entering Canada:

You must be double vaxxed with an approved vaccine (or mix), 2nd dose at least 14 days before travel

Then, EITHER:

1 - Proof of a negative molecular test (for UK citizens, effectively a PCR as other molecular tests are hard to find over here) performed within 72 hours of scheduled departure.

OR

2 - Proof of a positive molecular test between 14 and 180 days of your scheduled departure.

As taken from travel.gc.ca

Now, the problem with the second version is that the first check on your test will take place by the airline here in the UK. The enormous majority of people will be presenting negative 72 hour tests, and there's a real risk that the airline will refuse to carry you if you show up with a 14+ day positive test, as they won't be aware of the minutiae. So, personally, I would take the 72 hour PCR test so that you just look exactly like every other traveller
snow report
At the moment you need a negative PCR. There are rumors this may change.

BC is getting hammered . Our 3 hr trip from invermere to Calgary took 13.75 hrs on the highway 93, which is now acting as highway 1. The road has no cell reception and it was carnage. Truck graveyard (translation = big lorry graveyard)
ski holidays
The only likely change on the PCR test is a move to antigen for the land border, simply because of the number of day trippers taking a PCR in Canada BEFORE they travel south and then using it to cross the border back into Canada - thus proving that they didn't have Covid before they left Canada, which kind of misses the point. The air border is expected to stay PCR for the foreseeable
snow report
Does anyone living in Canada know what if any internal flight rules there are? Double-vaxed, legally in Canada, and
not an anti-masker are easy.... but do you need additional time-critical test evidence to get on an internal flight?

I know tests are readily available at YVR and regional airports for $125-150 a pop... it's the timing that matters.
Which is going to be sporting considering some of those flights are often delayed or redirected in normal seasons.
latest report
philwig wrote:
Does anyone living in Canada know what if any internal flight rules there are? Double-vaxed, legally in Canada, and
not an anti-masker are easy.... but do you need additional time-critical test evidence to get on an internal flight?

I know tests are readily available at YVR and regional airports for $125-150 a pop... it's the timing that matters.
Which is going to be sporting considering some of those flights are often delayed or redirected in normal seasons.

Internal flights require double vax OR molecular test 72 hours prior to scheduled departure up till Nov 29th.

After Nov 29th double vax only. No testing requirement or testing alternative
snow report
So as i cant take a reliable covid test after having covid two weeks ago.. my 180 days cover from having covid, complete with supporting cert and double vaccination will do..
Its the pcr test that is the problem once you have had covid.. as it can keeps showing positive upto 180 days after covid
snow conditions
yorkshirelad wrote:
So as i cant take a reliable covid test after having covid two weeks ago.. my 180 days cover from having covid, complete with supporting cert and double vaccination will do..
Its the pcr test that is the problem once you have had covid.. as it can keeps showing positive upto 180 days after covid

TBH, I would take the test anyway. if it comes back negative you should have an easier time on the paperwork, and if it's positive then you don't have to show them. Or get a free test here https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test to see what's actually reporting at the moment
latest report
Saintsman wrote:
...After Nov 29th double vax only. No testing requirement or testing alternative
Sounds good. I shall of course check it up to the date, but that's good.

---
Much of the fresh food which gets up through Kamloops uses those broken roads... hmm.
snow report
No testing, just the ARRIVcan would suit me..
latest report
Yeah, but I wouldn;t expect that to happen this winter.
snow report
There’s this random arrival test (presume lateral flow) they can do on entry too if you’re selected. Even if double vaccinated and with the pre-departure negative PCR it says you’re not exempt from having a random one.

Would have to be truly rotten luck to get picked out for that and for it to test positive too, would well and truly knacker up a holiday, after a 9 hour flight too! Mad
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Would have to be truly rotten luck to get picked out for that and for it to test positive too, would well and truly knacker up a holiday, after a 9 hour flight too! Mad

wonder what then happens? I presume they don't just stick you back on the next flight home? Shocked
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
There’s this random arrival test (presume lateral flow) they can do on entry too if you’re selected. Even if double vaccinated and with the pre-departure negative PCR it says you’re not exempt from having a random one.

It's a PCR - you take the test (or they give you a kit) and you travel on to your destination, no quarantine till result. You only need to do anything if you test positive, but Arrivecan asks you for a quarantine plan for in case you do test positive on arrival.

You ARE exempted if you can prove you had Covid in the 14-180 day window but recovered, otherwise they are testing at random; the %s vary depending on your country of departure. Apparently they're seeing around a 0.2% positive rate on average, so 2 positive results for every 1,000 tests they carry out.
snow report
@Saintsman, it would have to be rotten luck!
@stuarth, like @Saintsman says, you’d have to quarantine at your quarantine address given in your ArriveCAN (likely the hotel you’ve booked if going for a fortnight) if it came out positive.
If it does you’ve probably caught it on the plane there or at the airport!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Saintsman, any idea if they are keen to test visitors from the UK or are we not a country they are interested in particularly?
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@Saintsman, any idea if they are keen to test visitors from the UK or are we not a country they are interested in particularly?

OFFICIALLY - they are not publishing who they are targeting.

ANECDOTEALY - it's countries with either high growth rates in positive tests (on the basis that the reported rate is massively lagging the actual rate), and countries with high rates of variants not currently dominant in Canada.

So currently, the UK is relatively low down the list, but 3-4 months ago we would have been high up. Right now the UK profile looks very much like the Canada profile
ski holidays
@Saintsman, thanks for explaining. Well I shall take my chances.
After doing tests twice weekly for months on end now (patient facing role) and not having one positive result so far I think I’d have more chance of winning the lottery than a) getting picked and b) it being positive!
I think I’d cry though. A lot.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@Saintsman, thanks for explaining. Well I shall take my chances.
After doing tests twice weekly for months on end now (patient facing role) and not having one positive result so far I think I’d have more chance of winning the lottery than a) getting picked and b) it being positive!
I think I’d cry though. A lot.

In the same boat - Mrs Saintsman is a district nurse and I've been testing alongside her just in case. I've been slowly tightening up my public mixing again recently after relaxing a bit over the summer - I have 6 weeks planned as a once in a lifetime event and we don't want to risk anything
snow report
@Saintsman, understood!

What we found surprising at work was out of 50 odd staff (including those with young kids at home, so with them picking it up from other kids at school and bringing it home sort of thing) only 2 or 3 actually tested positive since the beginning. You’d think it would be a lot more than that!! I guess it could just be the viral load was so low it wouldn’t register. I suppose we live in an area where it’s been pretty low overall too.

Are you doing some kind of Canadian road trip?
snow report
Nope - just a very straightforwards 6 weeks in Whistler. I've worked for my employer for 20 years since leaving Uni, so I qualify for a 6 week sabbatical. I LOVE skiing and would be very up for a road trip round BC, but Mrs Saintsman is a bit more conservative (and also doesn't fancy the time on the road) so we compromised on 6 weeks in a stupendously large skiing area that we already know a bit but haven't really explored in detail.

Barring a lottery win, this is really the only chance we have while our limbs and joints still working properly to spend 6 weeks with all work concerns switched off and just be ski bums (albeit without the financial concerns of your average 20-something)
ski holidays
@Saintsman, you will enjoy it immensely, I did something similar in 2019, had a great time-wasn’t Canada but I’d do it again in Canada another time!
latest report
The main problem with skibatticals is that once is never enough.
latest report
Saintsman wrote:
The only likely change on the PCR test is a move to antigen for the land border, simply because of the number of day trippers taking a PCR in Canada BEFORE they travel south and then using it to cross the border back into Canada - thus proving that they didn't have Covid before they left Canada, which kind of misses the point. The air border is expected to stay PCR for the foreseeable

Looks like it will be announced this Friday - fully vaccinated Canadians taking sub 72 trips across the border will not need to PCR on return. Longer trips and everyone else will still need a molecular test to get in: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pcr-test-drop-72-hours-1.6252039
latest report
Saintsman wrote:
Nope - just a very straightforwards 6 weeks in Whistler. I've worked for my employer for 20 years since leaving Uni, so I qualify for a 6 week sabbatical. I LOVE skiing and would be very up for a road trip round BC, but Mrs Saintsman is a bit more conservative (and also doesn't fancy the time on the road) so we compromised on 6 weeks in a stupendously large skiing area that we already know a bit but haven't really explored in detail.

Barring a lottery win, this is really the only chance we have while our limbs and joints still working properly to spend 6 weeks with all work concerns switched off and just be ski bums (albeit without the financial concerns of your average 20-something)

Honestly, there is more than enough to keep you busy in Whistler for 6 weeks. While the idea of a road trip is nice, the reality is some very long drives, expensive day passes, and you rarely get the best skiing as the first day or two anywhere you are mostly trying to work out the lay of the land rather than knowing the best stashes as you would at Whistler.

This guidebook (available as pdf download) was invaluable for my seaeon at Whistler, wouldn't have found half the lines just skiing around on my own. https://quickdrawpublications.com/product/advancedexpert-ski-and-snowboard-guide-to-whistler-blackcomb-2nd-edition/
snow report
I agree, I’ve looked at road trips before and I think 6 weeks in one place gets you more skiing in overall. It means you have to keep going back to do another 6 weeks somewhere else though Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Check the roads-now. Major flooding has washed out five bridges on the Coquihalla which will affect all other roads in interior BC until spring.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy