Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Late season family resorts france

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone im looking some advice on late season (April 9th-16th) for family ski resort , kids will be 10 & 11 and itll be our fourth ski trip so they are confident on blues, we are flying into lyon so ideally maximum 3-4 hrs transfer most likely hire car.

Ive been to Val Thorens twice so have a fair idea of the piste and town, other options ive seen are Val Disere/Tignes or Les arcs/La plagne.
Looking a resort with charm but not with a big price tag.
The wife and kids are not high milers so a local area lift pass would suit us best.
A town or village with public swimming pool and other activities for the kids plus easy access to the slopes as im sure every parent knows its no fun carrying four pairs of skis at once!

As for accommodation self catered apartment or hotel not fussed on studios...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Les Deux Alpes? Not sure if it ticks the charm box but should have good snow and can possibly be driven to in sub 3 hours. Should be cheaper than the other places that you mentioned as well
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

every parent knows its no fun carrying four pairs of skis at once!

No, but 10 and 11 year olds, and adults, should be carrying their own. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pam w, I agree. I have four kids - no way we would have been able to cope if they didn't learn to look after their own kit from an early age!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Probably quite hard to tick the charm box, while also having ski-in, ski out. Personally for that week I'd be looking at Val Thorens or Tignes to ensure you're snow sure. Somewhere like Belle Plagne or Arc 1950 could also work.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@McC4rt4n, as per the Turnip, Arc 1950 is high enough and has the facilities you desire - pools, activities, the very definition of ski in / out (you'll be so spoiled as to go nowhere else ever again...) , local pass option.
Season doesn't end until the end of April so v. good chance on those dates of there being snow.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@McC4rt4n - if you can forego the huge expanses of 3 vallés and Tignes/Val and since all of you are piste-bound, then I’d strongly consider La Rosière. La Ros gives you access to excellent Italian lunches from connected La Thuile - the link between La Ros (FR) and La Thuile (IT) is easily accessible by your group. La Ros will still be open then in April and being predominantly south-facing, it will be getting loads of lovely late season sun, sun, sun.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For that week this season, you could look at joining the Family Bash although it is Val Thorens it is in very nice accommodation with a pool on site etc. https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=155376
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@McC4rt4n, Have you looked at Champagny?
It seems to match your requirements.
A 2 hour drive from Lyon airport, a charming resort with gondola access to 2000 metres giving acces to the La Plagne and Paradiski areas. A local Champagny pass is available but at that time of year I'd go for the La Plagne pass and stay high as it can get slushy in the afternoons
Not too expensive in comparison to Val d'Isere etc.
A good indoor public swimming pool with saunas etc. and at that time of year the childrens play areas next door to it will be open.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 17-11-21 18:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also for that week in La Plagne they usually run an event called sublicimes which is popular with children.
This was planned to happen in 2020 - https://en.la-plagne.com/rendez-vous/subli-cimes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Grinning, I would query that logic re. south facing slopes. By April, all but the steepest north faces will be in the sun for most of the day but due to the angle that the sun hits the snow at, south facing pistes will deteriorate much faster than north facing ones so I don't really see the appeal of a south facing slope in April
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Exactly pam w and zikomo, hence the correct answer to "When are they old enough start skiing?"
Answer: "When they can carry their own skis".
Hasty retreat . . .
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rambotion - sorry, I’m a fan of south-facing areas: we’ve always enjoyed La Ros and other resorts at that time of year. You’re right that north-facing stuff will be in better condition. Any resort will not have exclusively slopes facing one aspect. Tracking spring snow means skiing slopes of different aspects at different times.

A lot of people think the snow runs out by then but it doesn’t and it opens up great spring skiing opportunities.

Yes, pistes can get slushy later in the day but equally north-facing aspects in the morning can be full of death-cookies.
There is little better than spring snow in the morning, followed by a late lunch on a sunny terrace after which, if you’ve got the energy to continue skiing (and many won’t), then slush bumps in tee-shirts. Please no jeans unless you’re Parisian.

The April school holiday is less-well-attended by the French than Feb hols so the slopes are quieter.

Sun protection for the kids… but that applies whatever aspects…
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy