Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is Snowfactor in braehead still in business?

Poster: A snowHead
I notice the server is down.
PING www.snowfactor.com (46.101.89.126): 56 data bytes
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1
Request timeout for icmp_seq 2

Are they still in business?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I hope they are not a victim of the INTU problem or Covid
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not heard that they are not. All permanent staff were furloughed. The website for the associated Ice Factor at KLL is also down, so may just be a computer issue. Snow Factor is not due to open before 14/9 (in line with gyms etc) unless the Scottish Government changes its cautious mind.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ski lots, thanks I was looking at dates to get some.practice.in for BASI courses.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@GlasgowCyclops, I too have courses booked, but I’m not sure they will run as things stand at the moment.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Ski lots, I spoke to BASI yesterday and they said the September Braehead was unlikely to go ahead unless then get more people. 3/10 so far. In addition, ALL courses are 5 days inclusive EG 2-6th on snow but at the glasgow ski centre it is 9 days? Same for Bearsden so I assume it is because it is on artificial.

Just found clicking on a link it is
Course will run over 2 weeks (19th, 20th and 26th, 27th 28th)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@GlasgowCyclops, thanks. In my case it is the CPD course in September and the Adaptive course in October that are in doubt, due to restrictions and numbers - we can hope.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Website is back up. Looks like opening might be possible from 31 August following Scottish Government announcement, which covered ice rinks if not specifically the one indoor snow slope in Scotland. I’m trying to get some confirmation.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ski lots, Hah, I checked the twitter, FB and website today so plumped for BASI at bellahouston and joined the dry slope for some ski practice. Bloomin typical Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Ski lots, Are you now doing it at Ski-Glasgow? I see that course has went to 8/8 and the Braehead one has gone to 0/10 (IE cancelled)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@GlasgowCyclops, I had a call from BASI saying that my course at Snowfactor in September was cancelled, but they were looking to run courses in October. I’ve been unable to get any confirmation from anyone that the slope will open then - still trying. I can afford to wait and see what happens. As I am recovering from a serious injury I would rather my first time back on skis was on snow rather than plastic.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Ski lots, Hope you get better soon.

I joined Bellahouston so I can get practice on dry slopes. Not been on one since I was a complete beginner so want to get used to the feel of it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Question for you local guys, wife is very much a learner & is looking to have a little practice before going back out to StG for more lessons.
Is snowfactor, worth the travel considering hillend is 2 miles from us
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonny996, assuming things get back to some sort of normality I would say yes. However, bear in mind that (under normal circumstances) the beginner slope is only available to those taking lessons. But you can get off the lifts halfway and use the more gentle part of the main slope.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jonny996, Yesterday I had my first day on a dry slope since I was a beginner. If you think that I can go down most runs easily and am doing a BASI course, I was like a beginner on the dry slope (for about 30 mins). It was sticky, slow and not as fluid as snow. IE slower and more difficult.

So I would definitely make the trip to Braehead. The snow compound is probably about 50% of the speed of real snow so when she becomes more confident on that then the real snow won't be a big shock.
latest report
I also find Braehead to be a very slow 'snow' (sometimes grabby, but more of an issue on the board than skis), but usually pretty quiet and often not too chopped up, scraped off or variable. Not too long or steep either. I'd think it's a good place for a beginner, probably less daunting than, say , Chill Factore. There's some good instructors too, sometimes at very good rates (one trick is to book a group lesson - if they're currently available - where often you're the only person, or there's only 2 or 3 of you, so it works out good value).
ski holidays
Must admit I'd rather go to Hillend next door than drive an hour to Braehead. Hillend is outdoors which counts for quite a lot it can be a fair bit of sensory deprivation in Braehead and dry slopes are pretty good for technique with a decent instructor.
snow conditions
A few things.
If she can ski Hillend she can ski anywhere Very Happy
Dry slopes are more difficult but definitely improve technique.
Personally I think snozone is duff. The snow is crap and badly managed in my opinion. Also see a lot of the instructors trying to look cool as opposed to giving instruction.
I'm a member at Bella and the difference in instruction is way better compared with what I've seen at snozone.
If you've got some discount vouchers it is worth a visit, but don't expect too much.
snow report
Snowzone now saying they will reopen on October 1st
latest report
Website now updated to confirm reopening in 1 October.
snow report
I've changed my booking for BASI to Nov in SF
snow report
Looking to book on the Adaptive in October, but the last time I checked there was no one booked on it. I also really need to make sure I can still ski!
snow report
@Ski lots, The main thing is getting 5-6. I cnt make october because I'll be in the hospital in Zurich (work) the week before and then in Quarantine. So Nov is the only one for me. I think if there were 2-3 in Nov then others may join.
ski holidays
Snowfactor have now confirmed they will be reopening on 9 October. Details still limited.
ski holidays
Just had it confirmed that the slope will open this Friday (unless Nicola changes her mind). Some staff are now back at work and the snow is ready to go
latest report
So I had a pre-reopening session on the slope this afternoon. Really great to be back, especially on freshly pisted snow. Good to know that I can still ski after nearly a year’s lay off.

Open to the public from Friday. Unless of course the Scottish Government says no tomorrow. The shops and food places are going to need support too. Looked to be some bargains in Brighams.
snow report
@Ski lots, I'm off tomorrow to work in a hospital in France until Sat so I'll be in quarantine until the 24th. So it will be a mega ski session before my level1
ski holidays
@GlasgowCyclops, good luck with that. Hopefully the slope will be fully open and well drilled in the protocols by then.

My Adaptive course has been cancelled as BASI and DSUK have concluded that they cannot run the course COVID safe indoors.

I’m also seeing the surgeons on the 26th, who will tell me if I can ski! Having already done so now I’m hopeful that they will accept my point of view.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Opening put back for at least 2 weeks following Scot. Gov. rule changes Sad Sad Sad
snow conditions
@Ski lots, I just read that. It is a bit borderline whether it falls into it but I suppose it is for the best.
snow conditions
Heard on the news that it's been saved from bankruptcy. Hope the new owners run it better
snow report
It is not the ski slope that has been in administration, but rather the shopping/leisure centre that the ski slope sits within. Same organisation that owns the Trafford Centre and Lakeside - only a contractual not an ownership relationship with Snowfactor.
latest report
From bbc news

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-54471220

A major leisure and entertainment complex in Renfrewshire has been saved from administration.

The future of Soar in Braehead, formerly Xscape, has been secured after a takeover by Debenture PLC from the previous owners Intu.

The centre is well-known for its real snow ski slope, ice rink, cinema, shopping and restaurant facilities.

Debenture has appointed asset and property management company Mapp to oversee the 370,000 square foot site.

The centre will continue to operate under the Soar branding ahead of a revamp and a new name before the end of the year.
snow report
Update and correction from my earlier post. Snowfactor seems to been sold to the new Intu owners along with the split sight shopping/leisure centre. Previous owners and Directors have relinquished their interests.
ski holidays
Ski lots wrote:
Update and correction from my earlier post. Snowfactor seems to been sold to the new Intu owners along with the split sight shopping/leisure centre. Previous owners and Directors have relinquished their interests.

I'm reading it as if its just the 'Soar' part thats been sold, although it's not completely clear tbh?

The whole place has never really lived up to its potential IMHO, hopefully this marks a change.

As for Snowfactor I just hope they make it attractive to mainstream skiers and boarders. Admittedly I've not been for a couple of years now but last time it just felt 'budget' with old, crusty snow and exposed ice. Too much of the site targeted at other activities and a lot of the slope was almost permanently a snowpark. Staff were disinterested, upslopes were bare and the exit from the tows often needed expert mogul skills.
ski holidays
It is possible that SF will reopen from 29/10.
latest report
Quote:
As for Snowfactor I just hope they make it attractive to mainstream skiers and boarders
By way of comparison, Xscape at Castleford is currently an 'attractive' £33 an hour on weekends and evenings Shocked

WTF?? Far too expensive for the average punter in my view...I just don't think it's worth it and would draw the line at £25 for an hour on indoor snow...

Experience has shown that Mrs MA and I can get a maximum of 14 or 15 runs in when the slope is empty (possibly sneaking in a few minutes over the hour... wink). Fair enough - but it's not unknown to get only half that amount of skiing with only one of the drag lifts on and a queue of 10 or 12 people...Just not worth the cost.
ski holidays
I'll let you all know soon. I getmout of quarantine on Sunday Happy
snow conditions
Ski lots wrote:
Snowfactor seems to been sold to the new Intu owners along with the split sight shopping/leisure centre.

Has Intu gone bust yet ?
latest report
Latest news from the BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-54660559 is that Intu (the shopping centre) has now been sold, but in a different deal to that which sold Intu/Soar a week or so ago. It is all getting very complicate.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy