Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Self Drive Les Arcs - Catered HOliday

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Fellow Snowheads,

This coming ski season (Feb half term) we have decided we would like to drive down to Les Arcs, does anyone have any handy hints/tips, travel advice?
Also looking for any recommendations for a catered/half board accommodation for 2 adults and a mature 12 year old and any recommendations on Ski Schools?

Thanks all for your help.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Travelling times are critical if you don't wish to sit in a que for chunky lengths of time, Saturday in Tarantaise valley for access can be fraught between the hours of 8.00am and 15.00hr ish.

Other than than that, there's not much downside as it's a great place to go to for family. I'd go at the drop of a hat and stay in 1800 Les Arcs for really good access, facilities etc. Genuinely one of our (family) favourite places to ski.

Doesn't suit everyone, but we travel Friday night to arrive Saturday morning and really enjoy the journey to go there. Ordinarily leeve to return 8.00am (that traffic on a change over day) with a whole day to trundle up through France.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you can take the Friday off, then I would. Aim to get as close as possible on Friday and then an early arrival in resort.

Last time we went at half term we stayed in Macon and despite leaving there at 6am it took close to 8-hours to get to resort.

It’s a lovely drive and our preferred way of travelling, however everyone has same idea! Some choose to travel overnight, certainly one way of doing it but not something I fancy. Have always risked wrath of school and took them out for a day.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@kennels9, Booking.com is showing a fair number of hotel vacancies for the half term weeks in Les Arcs. They vary by price and quality and I think to a large extent you get what you pay for..

We drive down to Les Arcs a couple time a year and my limited tips apart from the obvious are:
Audio books are good for the drive.
Driving ovenight gets you to resort first thing in the morning and allows you get 8 days skiing in. The roads are also quieter
Get breakdown insurance.
Parking in Arc 1600 can be difficult when the resort is busy and it will be busy for all 4 weeks of half term.
Have a big flask of coffee and a lot of water for the drive.
If you feel sleepy pull over into an aire and sleep.
Use maximum strength screen wasker fluid
Have rubber gloves, a sheet to kneel on and a torch to put chains on in the dark

No idea about ski schools. My family and freinds have alsways used ESF without problems.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Everything will need to be booked well in advance, including an overnight hotel stay en route, if that's what your journey demands. And ski school, for sure.

There are a huge number of threads on SHs about driving to France but some of the general advice won't be applicable at half term.

You will need snow chains for your car - absolutely essential, because on busy days the police will sometimes stop all cars without them. Winter tyres make a big difference, but if it's one of those days, you'll have no choice but to put chains on, winter tyres or no winter tyres.

Of course the roads are often clear - it doesn't snow all the time. But you do hope it'll be snowing shortly before your holiday, don't you?

Covered parking will make for a much more pleasant departure if it's been snowing during the week.

Driving back, depending on how keen you are, I would leave either Friday evening or Saturday evening, after skiing, and get a few hours up the road before stopping overnight. Saturdays - changeover days - are generally much less crowded on the slopes, and a nice day to ski. You will need to vacate your accommodation by around 10am Saturday, and that's probably the worst possible time to leave the resort.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all, I have driven alot of france in the summer and used to always go with my dad in the car skiing and it was so much fun, (even to Soll in Austria in his London Taxi!) I guess I am reminiscing in his memory and the fights he used to have with snowchains but think it would be a great family adventure.

We are also looking at La Rosiere and trying to decide which is best. Hubby is all for driving through the night (we always share the driving) so may we do that, as I alo remember being stuck in crap traffic!! In a 4 wheel drive, we will have winter tyres but snow chains too.

We keep a look out for good deals but want to get something booked knowing how busy it gets (we normally avoid half term but this year have to do it!)

Thanks all
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Take Friday off and the kids out of school.

Early tunnel and crack on

We get as far as chambery and enjoy a few beers and bite to eat. Up and out next morning and two hour or so drive to ste foy.

Kyriad chambery centre is a decent hotel

Get an extra days skiing Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't think Les Arcs is the best destination for catered as a lot of the high end accommodation is self catered (unless your budget will stretch to Taj i Mah 5 star hotel in 2000 or the Club Med in Peisey Vallandry). If you go to Arc 1950 self catering you can book a meal plan with the apartment. However I would recommend staying at La Cime des Arcs or La Source des Arcs in Arc 2000 which are in prime positions for skiing and close to a couple of nice restaurants. There is a nice restaurant called Le Savoy underneath La Cime des Arcs (and I think you can book a meal plan for it) You can also easily access the restaurants in 1950 by taking a quick gondola down which runs all evening.

There is an ESI ski school in Arc 1950 and the ESF are based in Arc 2000 but you can easily access the lessons at 1950. My kids did Gold and Bronze with the ESF in Arc 2000 and enjoyed their lessons, although this is going back a few years so some of the instructors may have changed.

As you are thinking of driving I would recommend booking through Ski Collection who do self drive packages inc eurotunnel flexi plus (the accommodation they offer is in Arc 2000).

I cannot advise you on half term specifically as we always avoid it. However I recommend Accor hotels for stop overs. Novotel and Ibis Styles are their best brands for families. The Novotel in Beaune is probably the best one. Reims Tinqueux is nothing special but convenient for the motorway.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy