Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria next week - Obergurgl / Glaciers advice

Poster: A snowHead
Good evening all,

I am looking for some advice. I've a week off next week and was thinking about going to Austria for some skiing. I've thought about Obergurgl or doing a wee tour of the different Tyrol glaciers.

I'm having difficulty in finding decent information on the snow situation. The Obergurgl website snow report stated fresh powder and 50 cm in village and 120 cm up the hill - I'm understandably skeptical. It's hard to assess conditions via webcam too.

Is there anyone here who lives in the Gurgl Solden area or has been skiing in the Tyrol glaciers very recently? Or does anyone know of another forum I don't want to spend a wedge only to be disappointed with shash brown pistes or sheet ice.

Cheers

Sean
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
try this https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4852894
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Will be able to give you a real-time update from Sölden/Obergurgl on Thursday when it opens

Should be masses of snow there - we're currently at the Stubai glacier & the snow is awesome - possible to ski back to the valley at 1700m: another 25cm fell Sat/Sun but the viz has been a bit iffy - however today looks like it should be bluebird
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This is a very good streaming webcam/weather site for multiple Austrian resorts - like what you get on your hotel telly when you're there

http://youtube.com/v/A8QeBNcI4K8

Need to click the link as embedded site won't play
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi sean1967. See my Austrian glaciers trip report (and pics) from last week under er....Trip Reports wink .

Our last ski day was Thurs 11th Nov. There was masses of snow and, as has been advised, there's been more snow since. It's like winter cover on the glaciers and we were skiing non-glacial runs (at Hintertux) to 2000m.

So nothing at all to worry about and your fears of skiing strips of snow are groundless.

Get your trip booked and, as they say on Crimewatch, 'Don't have nightmares.' Laughing You'll have a great time. And do tell us all about it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@sean1967, it snowed a lot over the weekend, fairly wet/heavy (which is good for this time of year) but over 2000m should be good. People are already skitouring the local hills here. There won't be much powder by next week, but piste skiing should be good. Ischgl will also open on 25th, and would be my pick of the bunch if the dates work.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the advice.

Could anyone recommend somewhere to rent skis for the week? Ideally somewhere near Innsbruck, hopefully cheaper than renting in resort!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How about six days at €12-€17 per day? (Cheaper than easyjet (etc) ski carriage Very Happy)

From Intersport in Milders in the Stubai Valley (ie near Innsbruck). www.intersportrent.com

Other retailers are also available wink

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountainaddict wrote:
How about six days at €12-€17 per day? (Cheaper than easyjet (etc) ski carriage Very Happy)

From Intersport in Milders in the Stubai Valley (ie near Innsbruck). www.intersportrent.com

Other retailers are also available wink

Muchas gracias amigo
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sean1967

Or you could try these. If you use the discount code ALPISKI you can get up to 65% off Very Happy

https://www.alpinresorts.com/en/ski-rental

I've got no connection with them, other than receiving promo emails from them (as a former customer).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
however today looks like it should be bluebird

Fab day yesterday after 2 days of poor viz

http://youtube.com/v/Krr8J-9LfJ0
Looking good today for Stubai, then will report from Sölden/Gurgl tomorrow
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geoffers wrote:
Quote:
however today looks like it should be bluebird

Fab day yesterday after 2 days of poor viz

http://youtube.com/v/Krr8J-9LfJ0
Looking good today for Stubai, then will report from Sölden/Gurgl tomorrow

Excellent stuff Geoffers.

Looking forward to the Solden Gurgl report.

Cheers
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Are you talking about Glacier runs only, - or are there other (non glacier) runs open yet in Obergurgl ski resort itself?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sölden & Gurgl ski areas are open from tomorrow (Thur 18 Nov) - planning to ski Ober/Hochgurgl tomoz so will report back on status later
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:
@sean1967, it snowed a lot over the weekend, fairly wet/heavy (which is good for this time of year) but over 2000m should be good. People are already skitouring the local hills here. There won't be much powder by next week, but piste skiing should be good. Ischgl will also open on 25th, and would be my pick of the bunch if the dates work.

Clarkers, do you have info on how Ischgl is looking?

I'm thinking doing Obergurgl and some glaciers then Ischgl for the Thursday Friday
snow report
I can definitely report the whole of Obergurgl/Hochgurgl is open snowHead
Currently sitting in the Höhe Mutt after a fantastic morning's skiing on quiet slopes with endless untracked Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:
Currently sitting in the Höhe Mutt after a fantastic morning's skiing on quiet slopes with endless untracked
Sounds ok I suppose wink Enjoy!
latest report
High point today was seeing one of these (Lammergeier) thermalling up pretty close
ski holidays
We're coming out to Obergurgl on the 6th of December providing of course the Tyrol doesn't go into lockdown as is the case with Salzburg province from this coming Monday. Should know later today, after today's big meeting for the rest of the regional province's. I'm starting to twitch a little. LOL
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy