Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Teenager Ski Lengths

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Really sorry if similar stuff has been posted before - there's so much info out there it's tricky to find specifics.

Would really appreciate collective expert opinion on my situation please

So I have 2 sons now about 170 and 175cm height and both around 60-65kg and fairly slight build

They have both been skiing since age 3. They used to race on the dry slope circuit but gave that up a few years ago, they can pretty much handle everything on piste and have started to explore off piste - nothing too extreme.

On our last holiday in 2020 they were skiing on Armada Triple Js 155cm and they loved them. We bought them in the hope we would get some fresh snow but lucked out and so were mostly skiing on piste, crud and in the park. They were really pleased with how the skis were.

Because I keep feeding them (!) they have now grown, probably 5-7 cm since then. My question is whether the 155s will still work for them. My basic brain thinks that they will be more unstable on piste but maybe more fun in the park. What I don't know is how they'll do in powder. They are fat skis 131mm tip, 112mm waist and 128mm at the tail. I'm just worried how the short length will affect the performance in deep snow.

Also I'm staring down the barrel of 2 sets of new skis so maybe slightly biased towards keeping what we have. Very happy to be educated

Thanks in advance for any advice snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The skis don't know what age they are, only what weight and how good...in fact they are much the same weight as myself.

Personally, I would say they are much too short - as they are now young adults and good skiers, by the sound of it.

IMV, if going new and looking for a ski to do everything, I'd be getting something narrower. A Friend of mine was in the same boat as you - 2 very able and talented teenagers. They got wide skis and went everywhere on the mountain...but the skis were so wide, they became lazy with technique On Piste and went everywhere in a "Fast Schmear".

My suggestion, and it is only that, is get something in 90-95mm All Mountain Category - that is around 170 long (175 at most if very aggressive and more Expert than Advanced) and more on the playful side. That would cover all basis.

My All Mountain Skis are on the Playful end of the spectrum and in a 180 - but I cut my teeth on 2m straight skis, so am comfortable with that length.

Now if they are going to spend 80% of their time Off Piste, things change slightly.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 11-11-21 18:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jonathancarty, how old are they? The other consideration could be strength - they're a similar size to me, but if they are still young teens then they probably won't have developed adult strength yet. So you might want to err on the short side compared to what an adult of the same stats would ski. But overall I'd agree with @Old Fartbag - something narrower will be more than enough to provide support off piste, whilst still being fun on piste. If they like the park as well then something like the Nordica Soul Rider (available in two widths I think - original 97 and also 87) might be a good bet, as a playful twintip that holds an edge surprisingly well. Coming from a race background they might prefer something stiffer but I've found the Soul Rider to be remarkably versatile and fun.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies - they're 15 and 17 and definitely on the lighter build side which was what was making me nervous about length. Don't think we'll be buying new but probably from somewhere like freeglisse which has served us very well over the years.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jonathancarty wrote:
Thanks for the replies - they're 15 and 17 and definitely on the lighter build side which was what was making me nervous about length. Don't think we'll be buying new but probably from somewhere like freeglisse which has served us very well over the years.

What about hiring for a year or two, which gives you the freedom to try different lengths/widths/constructions....and should help pin down preferences.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy