Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arosa, Grindelwald or Flims

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just investigating possibilities for a Feb trip to Switzerland. Does anyone have any thoughts on the above resorts and which might suit us best?

2 young teen confident intermediate skiers
1 advanced/intermediate snowboarder (but doesn’t need a park or anything crazy)
1 timid progressing beginner (easy blues)

Budget is ample and we prefer a hotel. Don’t need nightlife but a livelyish bar for apres-ski is always welcome!

Thanks all Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm a big fan of Arosa, especially now it links with Lenzerheide. There are a lot of excellent hotels in convenient locations all and one or two lively bars. The skiing sounds suited to your levels of experience but the timid progressing beginner would probably best stick to the Arosa side as the link can be daunting for those lacking confidence (See topic on this very subject: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156827#4850058).

Can't comment on Flims but enjoyed a good week in Grindelwald although I recall a lot of time spent on mountain trains. Spectacular area, pleasant, large resort, quite lively.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any of the three should be fine. Grindelwald has 2 new gondolas, which have transformed access to the mountain (no need for trains up the hill anymore). Arosa is much higher, but the skiing's more limited, though I really enjoyed it. Flims is a lovely place, lots of wealthy Swiss second home owners. You really can’t go wrong with any of them to be honest.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know people who’ve been to Flims / Waldhaus / Adula etc for years and years on end, it has many fans (families with teens etc) and Laax well known for boarding.

I stay in Lenzerheide and love to spend a couple of days in Arosa but am naturally a fan of my side of the Urdenbahn.

Particularly for the blue run skier Id say there’s more choice on the Lenzerheide side. I think there is also more mileage of piste in general.

I think Arosa is a great resort for an intermediate as there are some great reds up from the Hornli and Bruggerhorn etc but lower down on the easier runs it seemed rather busy and crowded in the ski school areas. Arosa probably has the edge for apres from what I hear although Lenzerheide definitely has a couple of bars.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Soozm, Will the easy blue skier ski with the rest of you or separately? It might be a challenge to find routes where 2 or 3 go off one way and meet the 4th at the bottom, having skied very differently graded slopes to get there - at least to be able to do this all week.
If, OTOH, the easy blue skier goes in lessons then that makes it easier.
I've done Grindelwald/Wengen a number of ti,es and it should tick the box. Going to Lenzerheide/Arosa for the first time this year, so can't coment on that. Have also been to Flims and wouldn't go back. One issue is tht the first gondola in the morning seems to spend more time travelling horrizontally than vertically which I found irritating. But it also seemed to cater much more for boarders (this was maybe 6-8 years ago).
Looks like you are set on Switzerland. Have you discounted other resorts? For example Davos/Klosters would be great if you were splitting into different ability groups but possibly more constrained if all trying to ski together.
When looking for a hotel try the Sunstar Group - a small Swiss chain that has hotels in all the resorts you mentioned (and more) and has a family feel about it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I love this forum so much! Thank you everyone who has replied - that's so helpful.

I haven't discounted anywhere, they were just three resorts that appealed to me and I've seen some nice places to stay. I probably should have added Wengen too. Of the family, I'm the beginner skier (despite the time I spend on here). I love being in the mountains but due to some past injuries/ issues I have had a very slow start. I know we won't ski together all week, just a few sessions and meeting for lunch is good.

We're set on Switzerland because of the travel hurdles for single vaccinated teens. I'm just in the process of sadly unwinding a long anticipated trip to Saalbach-Hinterglemm.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Soozm wrote:

I probably should have added Wengen too.

You should definitely have included Wengen (though I might be a tiny bit biased) Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Soozm, If your budget can stretch to private lessons for you, then I would go to Wengen, have privates in the morning meeting up for lunch and take advice from your instructor as to where the best places for the others are to ski to enable meet-ups.
Private lessons are IMHO the best VFM for someone at your stage.
It's a stunning resort.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
3 fabulous resorts you wont go wrong with any of them. Possibly Flims would be the safest bet for the younger ones
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We do flims-laax every year for the past 5, it's a fabulous choice for a family trip. Flims Arena has changed the vibe entirely, giving lots more ski in and apres ski options.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Soozm, I agree with @Skimum1 that the Lenzerheide side of Arosa-Lezerheide would make a better base for someone not yet confident beyond blue runs. And the whole area has a lot for those intermediates.

Flims would be a good base, with quite a range of runs. And the snowboarder - even if not personally into snowparks - would surely be inspired by heading over to the top of the Laax side to watch the virtuosos. It is where the international experts go to train.

But Grindelwald I don't have personal experience of.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm only answering because my father met my mother in Grindelwald. Grindelwald
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I found Grindlewald an incredible place, maybe because I am primarily a climber, but skiing just under the Eiger North face was eerie, but amazing. (Easy off piste route) I was there for a couple of weeks with a pal who was instructing out there and knew the area well, so I was lucky. Love to go back.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nevis1003 wrote:
skiing just under the Eiger North face was eerie, but amazing. (Easy off piste route)

White Hare route down to Alpiglen from Eigergletscher. Lovely in good snow conditions.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you everyone! I'm struggling to decide, though it looks like Grindelwald/ Wengen because there's more choice left than Arosa or Flims. Klosters has snuck in too!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy