Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pre-Christmas Skiing & Christmas Markets

Poster: A snowHead
My friend and his wife want to go to European Christmas markets for Christmas 2022 (1+ years from now) and they want to go skiing on the same trip. Of course I can join them. We are not interested in traveling over Christmas break when flights, hotel, and other travel costs are crazy high. How are ski conditions that time of year? I suspect generally not very good unless you get lucky. Any ideas on where to go to combine Christmas markets and skiing would be welcome too.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They can use Innsbruck before/after. Lovely old town and a few Christmas market spots in that area.
And ski Solden/Ischgl according to preferences and aptitudes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Innsbruck is probably the best and most convenient place to combine both. Ski conditions can be anywhere from epic to meh, but there will be guaranteed skiing on the glacier. If the snow is good the local resorts are definitely fun enough, if not then Ischgl, Obergurgl, Sölden + the glacier resorts are all close by and easily accessible safe early season options.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You have lots of options! Also depending on flexible you are, or if you are happy with a split trip.
You can go to Innsbruck & stay there. Travel on the free bus to 1/2 a dozen or so resorts... Stubai Glacier will be open (the furthest at an hour), the rest will be depending on Snow.
You could go to Seefeld, which is not far from Innsbruck. Has market & also has skiing. You will be able to see the market huts on the webcam (In 2 weeks!) to give you an idea.
You could also travel to Kitzbuhel, Mayrhofen & St Johann in Tirol for Skiing & Market. You can always have a night to start or end in Innsbruck (especially if early morning flight home).
The catchment area of an hour is quite large from Innsbruck, so you could be quite picky if flexible.
You could also spit the trip. A few days skiing then back for a few days to wonder around the markets.

You also have Salzburg chrismas market & could go to the Ski Circus (Zell am See market) as a split trip. St Johan can also be travelled to from Salz, (one of them weird ones where it is closer to Salzburg, but quicker to travel to from Innsbruck).
That is what we are doing this year. 5 nights in Saalbach-Hinterglem & 2 night in Salzburg, with the aim of making it into Zell am See for an evening.
An alternative to Salzburg could be Munich, where they have a few Xmas markets dotted around the city, including a medieval one.
You could get a train from Munich to Augsburg which also has a decent market area. Nuremberg may be a bit to far to daytrip & combine with skiing.
May be worth trying to tie it up with any Krampus event in December (forget the opening Krampus parade for skiing).

There are options in France like Megeve, as well as swiss offerings, but I prefer the ease of getting around in Austria.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 for Innsbruck, we spent 2 nights to see the sights and Christmas markets there en route to Kaltenbach. Perfect for that type of trip.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
a few Christmas's ago, we did a few nights in saltzburg, lovely town (and xmas market) and most sights are within walking distance of each other, my family were into the sound of music at the time, so would recreate some of the scenes Smile Smile

then travelled on to the zillertal area, for a week staying in fugen but mainly skiing in Kaltenbach.

admittedly, we drove so more flexibility, but accommodation was still reasonable at that time of year, and there are good rail links between innsbruck/saltzburg and then the zillertal arena

my daughters are bugging me all the time to go back!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We did Trento, flew into Verona so markets of Verona and Trento. Skied Monte Bondone and Andalo. I think Folgaria is also a possible from Trento.

It was a fun trip and the little ski areas entertained us for a couple of days. All done by public transport as well. If it was a longer trip, it would probably be possible to get over to Madonna to ski?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
According to Facebook autotranslation the Austrian Christmas Markets have a remarkable effect on visitors..... Shocked

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What’s Andalo like for skiing? It’s where I learned to ski on a school trip nearly 40 years ago. Can’t remember a thing!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Orange200 wrote:
What’s Andalo like for skiing? It’s where I learned to ski on a school trip nearly 40 years ago. Can’t remember a thing!!

Small but perfectly formed for us - blues and reds, lovely wide pistes, most through the trees. Really enjoyed it fo a day - could imagine it being perfect for someone's first time. snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Alastair Pink, Laughing Laughing Laughing I'm not sure that's quite what they intended with #feelaustria Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999 wrote:
@Alastair Pink, Laughing Laughing Laughing I'm not sure that's quite what they intended with #feelaustria Laughing

Well from that it seems that Austrian Christmas Markets are very "special", but what I'd like to know is whether for visitors to them the w@nking is optional or compulsory? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is this another technique to get all the tourists away from F*cking?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink,

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

They may also endorse a trip to Garmisch, to ski the W@nk! wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Brunico-Bruneck in the Sud Tirol area of Italy has a Christmas market which this year starts on the 26th November. The skiing is at Kronplatz which opens on the 27th November. I don't know anything about the market but there was plenty of snow when I skied there a few years ago in early December.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:

That's a relief...... Oooops Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy