Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Effect of card payments on tips in ski resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Having been out for a few meals in Edinburgh recently - and having used a card for all of them - I was thinking about how this may impact hospitality staff in ski resorts.

Over here, I always ask if I can leave a tip on the card for staff, and they are (almost all) pretty relaxed about this now as its the new normal - I wonder how the decrease in cash use will impact hospitality staff as we get into the ski season?

We all know that (in France anyway) many restaurants are Service Compris, and the staff are paid accordingly.................however in "tourist" places I think there has always been an element of assumption that there will be a share of the cash tips left by (usually) tourists on top of the SC bill.

For our boys trips, we always ran with a cash kitty and paid for the beers, lunches etc out of this and cash tips were also left from that - I never even have a spare tenner in my wallet these days and cant see that being much different next time I am in France.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wouldn't sweat it too much. I suspect staff are more than capable of finding alternate service industry jobs if they end up working for a greedy owner/ manager who keeps hold of the tronc for themselves.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I pretty much always pay by card, but also have a handful of shrapnel and some notes so I can leave cash tip.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@GreenDay, Just to confirm all restaurants in France have to give you a Service Compris so no need to leave a tip and you shouldn’t be expected to either , if you are however pleased with the service it is normal practice to leave a small token of your appreciation, say a €5 , €10 note or a few euro coins . Don’t get drawn in on what you feel is assumption in tourist spots .
I’m am guided by my French friends and those who own restaurants.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@GreenDay, i know where you are coming from, just been out to Alps for a week in October & when I travelled I had 45 euro in cash in my wallet left over from March 2020, I still have 45 euro in cash as I went the complete week with out using any cash at all.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonny996 wrote:
@GreenDay, i know where you are coming from, just been out to Alps for a week in October & when I travelled I had 45 euro in cash in my wallet left over from March 2020, I still have 45 euro in cash as I went the complete week with out using any cash at all.

Going on what the guys above have said - I will take along the Euros I have in the drawer and just see how it goes, but interesting that you went completely cashless for a week..............which is exactly how it would happen if I was a week holidays in this country.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GreenDay wrote:
Having been out for a few meals in Edinburgh recently - and having used a card for all of them - I was thinking about how this may impact hospitality staff in ski resorts.

Over here, I always ask if I can leave a tip on the card for staff, and they are (almost all) pretty relaxed about this now as its the new normal

Previously when paying with card in the UK, the card machine generally always asked if I wanted to leave a gratuity, which I generally would do - however, over the last couple of years, I've noticed that this happens less and less and (as someone who generally doesn't carry cash) we then get in a situation where we don't have have any cash for a tip. However, I've also noticed that more places just add the 12.5% service charge to the bill anyway - so maybe companies realise it's a bit cheeky to add a service charge to the bill, and ask then also for a gratuity at card payment, and rather wait for people to voluntarily add any additional tip.

That said, the one place I do normally carry cash is on holiday so will always have euros on me when I go skiing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
French card machines do not ask if you wish to leave a gratuity. Service is included after all.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Although recent times have moved this on for my last 2/3 years of trips I've barely used cash. Only had it as an emergency backup but always just used my card everywhere to pay for lunch, supermarket etc.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@GreenDay, should use ‘split wise’ . We have always used cash till this year, - split wise was excellent, just one transfer or so at the end of the holiday. Anyone can pay for anything.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Similar in Australia. Use of cash has been declining for many years; covid just accelerated the trend. Some businesses no longer accept cash, though it is still legal tender. ATM machine numbers are decreasing. Whether or not the inevitable move to a cashless society is good or bad will be revealed in the fullness of time.

BTW: most restaurant EFTPOS machines ask if you want to leave a tip.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
Affect surely? wink

My favourite along these lines is: 'Smoking effects pregnancy....' Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nah - the effect of vaccination on Covid spread. Although patients might be affected by 4G nanochips.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A French waiter in Tignes explained to me that he didn't expect a tip from anyone. But he said that he knew the British would leave 10% and he was not offended as it was our culture. But if a Frenchman left 10% he would be worried that he wanted to sleep with him!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
twoodwar wrote:
@GreenDay, should use ‘split wise’ . We have always used cash till this year, - split wise was excellent, just one transfer or so at the end of the holiday. Anyone can pay for anything.

Interesting - is that an app?
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Affect surely? wink

My favourite along these lines is: 'Smoking effects pregnancy....' Toofy Grin

No, "effect of card payments" was correct! Smile
snow report
Quote:
No, "effect of card payments" was correct!
Apologies. I mistakenly and ridiculously read effect as being used as a verb when it is, of course being used as a noun in this case.

I stand corrected. Embarassed Apologies. It's been a long day...
ski holidays
In some mountain restaurants near Serre Chevallier I seem to remember that cards weren’t taken, particularly in Italy. Does anyone know if that’s changed? It would be handy to know whether we need any euros in March or if a card will suffice for all transactions.
ski holidays
absolutely no need to tip in france.
snow report
Re apps and kitty's , we've used Tricount for the past 5 years. Works really well, covers multi currency too. Frintance I've paid for trains for 7 in sterling, and accomodation in Euros this week, want everything to be repaid in Euros; all well.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy