Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to eat in Tignes?

Poster: A snowHead
I am travelling to Tignes this new year and have only even been half board when staying there previously. Can anyone recommend some good restaurants for evening meals? I would ideally like to try one that does the hot stone that you cook your own meat on (not sure what this is called). Thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@red_run_robe, Pierrade is the word you are looking for.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@red_run_robe, Welcome to snowheads. There is a thread purely for Tignes in snow reports which will develop over the season. So have a post there, it's easier for the Tignes Team if we keep it all in one thread

It's tricky to answer the question at the moment as many businesses have gone or have spent the pandemic remodelling, I would have suggested L'Eterlou, hopefully it's still there or the Escale Blanche but it hascremodelled and I haven't seen the winter menu.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@red_run_robe, with the exception of burger bars and pizzarias almost every restaurant will offer a pierrade, a fondu and a rachlette. However, the quality does vary. Look for electrically heated rocks rather than the tradditionally oven heated ones which can get too cold to cook after a while and do not be afraid to ask for more meat if you have a glutton on your table.

We have a pierrade for use at home and like to supplement the meat on it with sliced onions, peppers, mushrooms and if being particualrly decadent raw king prawns and tuna.

tip 1 - I put the duck on first to add some fat to the stone.
tip 2 - do not allow others to put the meat on for you. They always decide to put it on too early and leave you with overdone steak.
tip 3 - take your time unless the stone is the oven heated variety.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not sure about the hot stone in Tignes but this place was cracking

http://www.ferme3capucines.com/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Le panoramic at the bottom of the grand motte gondola..... lunch on your last day.....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Which bit of Tignes willyou be inred_run_robe?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gainz wrote:

My favourite place in Tignes (Le Lac) too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Le panoramic at the bottom of the grand motte gondola
There is no gondola - Le Panoramic is at the top of the funicular that goes up to the Grande Motte...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gainz wrote:

Seconded, had a few superb evenings there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
There is no gondola - Le Panoramic is at the top of the funicular that goes up to the Grande Motte...

There was a gondola the last time I checked the webcams, it is still listed on the piste report from today as well.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think @rjs is talking about the Grande Motte cable car (as opposed to the funicular).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

Or bottom of the cable car wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
There was a gondola the last time I checked the webcams
As it's nearly pantomime season...Oh no there isn't! Toofy Grin The Grande Motte lift is a cable car, as has been mentioned above.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Le panoramic is one of the most expensive places in the Alps with indifferent service (in my experience). And they charge to use the bog, which really gets my goat. So not a fan all in all. For a splash-out lunch would recommend Refuge de Solaise (although not as convenient for getting back to Tignes), and we've always had a good lunch at La Pignatta in VC. Not had an evening meal there, but don't see why it wold be any different.
latest report
@mountainaddict, Let's continue the pantomime with an Oh yes there was! But the Panoramique resto was in the top station of the original Grande Motte gondola which came up from VC. It was a 2 stage, double ie 2 systems, side by side with 4 man gondolas, the middle station was somewhere near the bottom of Vanoise.

@Dr John, Yes, but I think the resto has been upgraded and is much improved thanks to M Bouvier. In days of yore a friend saw 2 Germans outraged when they were asked for money at that little kiosk. So much so they unzipped and hosed down the front of said kiosk! Of course there are now free loos accessible from the outside.
snow report
Quote:
Let's continue the pantomime with an Oh yes there was! But the Panoramique resto was in the top station of the original Grande Motte gondola which came up from VC. It was a 2 stage, double ie 2 systems, side by side with 4 man gondolas, the middle station was somewhere near the bottom of Vanoise.
Wow! Of course there was! Had forgotten all about that - it must've been in place on my first EK visit circa 1990-91 Very Happy.

Was there also a karaoke bar called The Wobbly Rabbit(??) in that era? I must have been well oiled as my on stage appearance that night was one of only two or three karaoke turns of my life Laughing
latest report
@chocksaway,fairy snuff, might give it another go, although only if they give you a token to use the bogs if your're spending a fortune in the posh restaurant, like wot they do at the La Fruitiere.
snow report
@Dr John, Might be worth it, I'm not a fine dining luncher, so not really the one to make recommendations for lunch. But I have heard good things in the last couple of seasons. Same for Eidelweiss above Me Fornet.

@mountainaddict, Yeah, my first night in the Wobbly Rabbit was in 97. It was in the bottom of the towerblocks near the golf car park. It's now an apartment!
It was a favourite night off for Ski O chalets. And Charles the oldest seasonaire in Tignes who drove us all back to Lac in the back of a white tranny. Said transport (for 30) could be seen in the scrappies near Bourg until 3 or 4 years ago.
snow report
[quote="Dr John"]
I like it. As if people who are happy to spend 50 euros on a lunch would care about spending 50 cents for a wee wee.
latest report
Since the Clin d’Oeil in Le Lac has gone I would recommend L’Armailly in Brevieres, but in clearly depends on which part of Tignes you are staying in if it’s evening meals.
ski holidays
Quote:
As if people who are happy to spend 50 euros on a lunch would care about spending 50 cents for a wee wee
Have to say...I know a few folks from a certain big northern English county who would probably object Laughing
latest report
@red_run_robe, Has got us all drooling and he's not come back for a week.
He can't be that hungry yet.
snow report
Eterlou . Serge fantastic host . ESF SCOFF there .
ski holidays
Those already mentioned - Eterlou, Ferme, Pignatta are all French run favourites of ours.

There are many other places, and it kinda depends on what food you like.

The food in La Queue de Cochon in Lavachet (run by an English couple) has always been great as well.

For all of the above, you will need to book ahead or you will be eating at Pizza Mick..............
snow conditions
Hi, thanks for all the replies.

I was told last week that Ski World had cancelled our holiday so unfortunately we’re back to the drawing board on skiing at new year! Was really looking forward to Tignes too Eh oh!
latest report
red_run_robe, another cancelled holiday! Real tough. And at New Year too.
Seems to have been a concerning number of such events reported on various threads.
Hope you find something - is Ski World offering any assistance?
ski holidays
@Jonpim, I know 2 years in a row being cancelled!! I booked through another company and they are trying to find me something and get Ski World to offer an alternative.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red_run_robe wrote:
ideally like to try one that does the hot stone that you cook your own meat on

The new improved L'Escale Blanche does a good one
snow conditions
red_run_robe wrote:
Hi, thanks for all the replies.

I was told last week that Ski World had cancelled our holiday so unfortunately we’re back to the drawing board on skiing at new year! Was really looking forward to Tignes too Eh oh!

Did they give a reason?
latest report
Any recommendations for lunch places on the mountain? Decent plat du jour options for around the 15 Euro mark would be good....
ski holidays
@Klamm Franzer,
Would you include the Tignes villages as 'on the mountain'?.
snow conditions
I don't know? I haven't been before and I don't know if people tend to eat on the mountain or head to a village for lunch. Looking at Google maps and the piste map, there isn't a massive choice on the slopes, so I'm guessing that the etiquette is a bit different?
ski holidays
I'd say most people eat in the villages. If that's OK with you try Brasero, Queue de Cochon (both Lavachete), Jam Bar, Loop, Tignes Cuisine (all le Lac). Always assuming they open this season & are doing lunch.
ski holidays
Klamm Franzer wrote:
I don't know? I haven't been before and I don't know if people tend to eat on the mountain or head to a village for lunch. Looking at Google maps and the piste map, there isn't a massive choice on the slopes, so I'm guessing that the etiquette is a bit different?

The place that used to do a stellar plat du jour was Le Coffee in Val Claret when it was part of EV2, but I cant vouch for it recently.

I think what kenzie was getting at was that lunch really does depend on where you are...............and pretty much anywhere could be classed as "on the mountain.

e.g. you could be in Breviere (lowest point) and pay a lot more than at the restaurant on the Val Glacier, which is about as far away from there as you can get !

We usually try and lunch in villages (purely for choice and variety) but if you are up the mountains, while there are v expensive options, you can still eat pretty reasonably in the restaurant on the Val Glacier and the sister one at the base of the Borsat lift where all the Verte runs converge on the flat bit. Both of these are self serve but the food quality is decent imo.

As for "what people tend to do" if its busy all the restos will be busy, even the hot dog and beer ones on Solaise.

I havent found anything a particular "ripoff" either - I understand that the place up Grande Motte is pricey, but - hey - someone has to get food up to 3000 m......................

As Tignes / Val are so easy to get round, it is genuinely simple to time it so you can be in a village and get that plat du jour you desire.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy