Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where would you ski in 2021? (Covid restrictions)

Poster: A snowHead
Which European country do you feel has the most chance of:
- letting in Brits (or if one says yes, it's yes to all)
- not requiring to scan a COVID pass at every lift
- not requiring more than a Buff as a mask on lifts/bubbles
- Having actual outdoor apres, rather than fully seated only
- that will not require daily testing that might result in you locked in a hotel

Keen to hear thoughts, as although I've read through many threads, I don't believe theres one that covers these specific issues, resulting in which European country are you likely to enjoy the most "normal" experience.

Views from those based in resorts/travel operators would be of particular interest

Thanks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 28-10-21 11:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any particular reason why you're excluding Switzerland from the discussion?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
LaForet wrote:
Any particular reason why you're excluding Switzerland from the discussion?

Current thread post is "EU country"

Maybe change the title of the thread to "European" or "EU plus CH" if it is to be a broader discussion

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 28-10-21 11:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Amended Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well, Austria currently satisfies 4 out of 5 for vaccinated/recovered individuals. The 5th one, FFP2 masks on lifts, is not going to go away this season.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Scotland
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
UK covid numbers are declining... looking quite positive to me.
We have booked Zermatt first week Dec and then have booked time off for 4 trips in the New Year, will book accom closer to the time/depending on how things play out.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wales (have to take a covid test though - but you did not mention that as a problem).

Apres (outside) here - nice seeting: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g6398321-d1011614-Reviews-The_White_Hart_Inn-Talybont_on_Usk_Brecon_Beacons_National_Park_Wales.html

Mike wants you as far away from there it seems! Toofy Grin

Jesus - good I do not have such problems going to Peisey Vallandry with my EU-covid pass! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mike Pow wrote:
Scotland

Lol - great answer! Be sure to wrap up warm! I hope to get a few days in this year and am lucky to live about an hour from Cairngorm.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
cav wrote:
UK covid numbers are declining... looking quite positive to me.
We have booked Zermatt first week Dec and then have booked time off for 4 trips in the New Year, will book accom closer to the time/depending on how things play out.

the other edge of the sword is if cases climb in other countries. they decide to introduce tight restrictions.
I very much doubt it. Vaccine is all we have against covid at the moment. So live with it, until a vaccine bursting strain develops.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Switzerland, as long as you are vaccinated. Below based on current rules.
rossyl wrote:
Which European country do you feel has the most chance of:
- letting in Brits (or if one says yes, it's yes to all) Vaccinated Brits allowed in no issues.
- not requiring to scan a COVID pass at every lift No requirement to have a COVID pass for lifts
- not requiring more than a Buff as a mask on lifts/bubbles “Special” buffs were allowed last year, face coverings currently only required for inside lifts not outside lifts (so not chairs)
- Having actual outdoor apres, rather than fully seated only They seemed to manage that last year so I’m sure they’ll manage it this year with fewer restrictions
- that will not require daily testing that might result in you locked in a hotel No tests required if you are vaccinated
Thanks
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks very much. Looks like Austria or Switzerland.

Just to check, does anyone have any ideas of what it will be like in France?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another vote for Switzerland. We've got Zermatt booked for December and January.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rossyl, not entirely sure what's putting you off e.g. France or Italy or Spain Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Gämsbock, i’d caveat your response on lifts- Bund said they’d have the final say not lift companies.
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, that’s why I said currently Very Happy. Even if the bund had made an announcement that wouldn’t rule out them changing it if they feel the situation has changed.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@rossyl, not entirely sure what's putting you off e.g. France or Italy or Spain Puzzled

Outdoor social distancing. The only place where it seems taht is not required is Austria. Which hopefully means they'll actually have some decent outdoor Apres.

Given Austria still are planning a Snowbombing festival, I'm hoping for a fun Apres scene.

Given you can go to nightclubs in London, I want to have more fun in the evenings when on holiday, than I would staying at home.

France and Switzerland both require outdoor social distancing.

I must say I'm not a fan of the mask rules in Austria. Fiddling with a mask to get on lifts/bubbles, I imagine will be tricky and result in cold hands.
snow conditions
rossyl wrote:

I must say I'm not a fan of the mask rules in Austria. Fiddling with a mask to get on lifts/bubbles, I imagine will be tricky and result in cold hands.

I guess it may be easier just to keep the mask on.

What were folk doing last year?
snow report
sugarmoma666 wrote:

In CH we just pushed them down onto our chins/necks whilst skiing. They got pretty manky but it wasn’t really too much of a bother. You can see them here.

snow report
@rossyl, are you vaccinated?
snow report
rossyl wrote:
France and Switzerland both require outdoor social distancing.

For Switzerland that (supposedly) depends on whether it is an outdoor certificate event or an outdoor non-certificate event. A non-certificate outdoor event requires distancing or a barrier between guest groups. But no requirement if it‘s a certificate event. So if a venue wants to run normal outdoor apres, all they have to do is make it certificate access only and then they can run it with no distancing and no masks. If you don‘t have a certificate you‘re going to have trouble getting into Switzerland anyway so I assume that‘s not an issue.
snow report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
rossyl wrote:

I had trouble with it last in CH, though it depends on the weather and resort. If it is snowing and/or the runs are short it‘s a pain. I left on but moved it up and down - you can‘t leave it up when skiing because your goggles steam up. I usually couldn‘t manage to get it up successfully without taking a glove off so my hands did get cold. The mask very quickly gets soggy and manky and if it‘s cold will be nicely frozen by the bottom of every lift. Days lapping short runs resulted in sores behind the ears from the chaffing. I‘m really hoping the no masks required on outside lifts will stay in CH for the winter (i.e. they are only required on inside lifts) but I‘m also pretty disinclined to visit Austria this year because of the stricter mask rules. I‘ve very little experience with the FFP2s because my first attempt felt so unpleasant that I promptly took it off and swapped it for a surgical!
snow conditions
Switzerland was the only country open last season so probably most reliable for this season. I took mask off at top of lifts and put it back on again at the bottom. Not ideal but you get used to it. Suspect rules will be more relaxed this ski season based on the Summer (lack of) enforcement.
ski holidays
But, is any resort in CH actually fun?

If St Anton is HALF as fun as normal, it will still be a lot of fun.

Also, in CH they obey the rules. Try crossing a road without a Green Man showing, members of the public will tell you off. Seriously.
CH is also far less dependant on tourism.

But, I agree, if Apres holds little value to you, for pure skiing, I would go to CH.

If Apres is important, Austria seems best. But, the mask situation for lifts, seems rubbish.
ski holidays
Gämsbock wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:
rossyl wrote:

I had trouble with it last in CH, though it depends on the weather and resort. If it is snowing and/or the runs are short it‘s a pain. I left on but moved it up and down - you can‘t leave it up when skiing because your goggles steam up. I usually couldn‘t manage to get it up successfully without taking a glove off so my hands did get cold. The mask very quickly gets soggy and manky and if it‘s cold will be nicely frozen by the bottom of every lift. Days lapping short runs resulted in sores behind the ears from the chaffing. I‘m really hoping the no masks required on outside lifts will stay in CH for the winter (i.e. they are only required on inside lifts) but I‘m also pretty disinclined to visit Austria this year because of the stricter mask rules. I‘ve very little experience with the FFP2s because my first attempt felt so unpleasant that I promptly took it off and swapped it for a surgical!

Thanks for the honesty
ski holidays
telford_mike wrote:
@rossyl, are you vaccinated?

Yes indeed
snow conditions
@rossyl, any resort fun??? You have not been obviously! Try Zermatt, Papperla pub. The skiing also is pretty good.
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:
@rossyl, any resort fun??? You have not been obviously! Try Zermatt, Papperla pub. The skiing also is pretty good.

Agreed. The Hennu Stall isn’t too bad either!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rossyl wrote:
But, is any resort in CH actually fun?

It was good enough for Prince Andrew. Just saying…
ski holidays
Gämsbock wrote:

FFP2 masks are horrible things that smell of industrial chemicals. Anyone studied the level of microplastics inhaled from them? However, they do hold their shape so you can wedge the nose wire under your goggles and pull a buff over the top, and after a bit of practise, without removing your gloves. Swiftly into a pocket at the exit.

Masks on chairlifts is nonsense, but the regs include chairlifts with a cover, which in Austria is most of them these days. One resort last season tied the covers down with cable ties so they didn't have to enforce mask wearing!
latest report
So...having decided Austria seemed a safe bet, it is looking for less promising and more subject to changing rules. I'm concerned about talk of curfews and daily testing.

So if not Austria, where?

Skiing and Apres are important.
ski holidays
France, currently no Covid pass for lifts I think.
Spain, currently no Covid pass for anything but they love wearing masks
Andorra (was open last season), probably do same as Spain. Very Happy

Not sure about Scandinavia but I reckon Sweden will be chilled.
Bulgaria or any Eastern European country, they know what communism looks like.

For lifts with covers rule, good idea, tie them back, not really needed anyway. Although many resorts have no option only closed lifts to get up and around mountain.

Challenge is these rules change which can really mess things up.
latest report
Already booked:

- week of christmas: La Plagne
- feb mid-term: Les Arcs

All set !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy