Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet face mask options

Poster: A snowHead
Having skied all winter in CH last season with a mask on lifts requirement, you really don’t need any of these clips / hooks etc. The masks that hook over your ears are fine, you just push them down over your chin when skiing, and pull them up for lifts. Different for Austria with FFP2 obviously, but for CH and FR it's really no more difficult than going to the supermarket.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you have an FFP2 mask on, and helmet on top, is there not enough give in the ear elastic to hoik the mask down under the chin when skiing, and then pop it up when joining the lift q at the bottom ? I've never used an ffp mask but I can see they look more rigid than than the blue/white soft surgeon style masks.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have these (not used for skiing!) - foldable, FFP2 :: B&Q ; 2.30 for 2 ::

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gazzza wrote:
If you have an FFP2 mask on, and helmet on top, is there not enough give in the ear elastic to hoik the mask down under the chin when skiing, and then pop it up when joining the lift q at the bottom ? I've never used an ffp mask but I can see they look more rigid than than the blue/white soft surgeon style masks.

No there’s not. Not for me anyway so I made an extender last time so it did have enough give and this time I’ve got a rubbery plastic ear saver thing that goes on the back of your neck.
Works fine so far as I definitely don’t want it on my ears.
The other thing with the FFP2 is you want the metal nose piece inside the material of the mask not on the outside like those Site ones from B&Q. When it’s up down up down as often as when skiing the metal bit goes on your skin sometimes and it’s sharp so better to have that bit within the material IMO
I cut my finger open on one of those Site masks once when I was using it for sanding. Somehow! But it was bloody sharp metal.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@VolklAttivaS5, Wrote --".. I cut my finger open on one of those Site masks once when I was using it for sanding.."
You put the mask on your face : they are rubbish at sanding !!!! Skullie snowHead Laughing

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 14-12-21 19:02; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Peeps, FWIW I've seen no-one checking on what constitutes a mask on about six excursions up the hill.

Though I have not used a Gondola.

In fact many people are not wearing them on chairlifts, though they at least respect your space and don't get on the same chair as you.

For those that make an effort, most people just pull a buff up, or have their jacket collar up under their goggles, or even wear a simple material mask.

Maybe from this weekend onwards they'll check up more but I doubt it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You don't have to wear them on chairlifts, just in the liftline...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@albob, 59 Cents each in the supermarket in Austria, but you do need to have some on arrival in Austria / Germany.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 15-12-21 7:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
KenX wrote:
You don't have to wear them on chairlifts, just in the liftline...

From how I understand it, they need to be worn if the chairlift has a weather shield. I may be wrong on that though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dougie, don't have such luxuries here!!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’ve just received these bought on Etsy, https://tinyurl.com/ym2rd5k6 had them shipped to Austria , had to pay an extra couple of euros tax .

They worked well with FP2 masks, you just have to be a bit careful on positioning them as FP2 masks don’t have a lot of stretch in the loops.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I’ve just bought a Buff that has a mask and filter built in. Available in French ski shops
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another clever face mask / helmet option , curtain hooks Very Happy

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
has to be said, not much enforcement of anything in Cham last few days ...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was in Andorra the last week. Saw one lifty tell a guy in the queue to put his mask on; that’s it, all week. I wore a ski face mask, with obvious vent holes for nose and mouth, and nobody said anything.
Only went on a gondola once, so I didn’t see examples that could have indicated mask awareness; no comment on masks but they seemed to try to put groups of friends in the same bubble or keep the numbers down.
snow report
The design of my helmet meant it was very simple to make a hook out of a piece of wire and attach one end to the helmet, the other end had an open hook to take the mask strap, very simple, no sewing skills or buttons required. snowHead
snow conditions
harrim51 wrote:
Has anyone used the Buff filter tube yet?
This review is very off putting.

http://youtube.com/v/c4HspuIECRE

Have to say I agree with the review. I got one of these for the PSB and it was so difficult to get the filter in and for it to stay in place. Also it froze up on cold days. Another issue was the difficulty getting it over my nose whilst trying to get on a lift with gloved hands. reverted to the La Plagne buff which was far more comfortable and substantial.
snow report
contagion theatre
ski holidays
@stevew, Yes, totally agree, useless. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I received a modified version of the one in the video but, even so, the filter paper gets scrunched up in a few hours. I was also stupid enough to invest in a pack of 30 spare filters Confused

My wife has a visor helmet and can wrap the ear straps of her ffp2 mask over the hinge screw, works very effectively.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 26-12-21 18:02; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
@BoardieK, I did the same, Buff mask plus box of filters. Might be okay on a sunny day but was awful in the snow. Might try a La Plagne one next time.
latest report
In Austria last week it was blooming cold so I found it was worth wearing my FFP2 mask up with the Buff over the top! Nice and cosy.
The FFP2 masks required in Austria more than meet the standard in France and Italy don’t they? They are only about 60 cents to buy too or you can take your own however many you want from the UK I think it’s a lot easier just to use them isn’t it?
snow conditions
What about just pulling up in the areas that you have to ware a mask? I was hoping it would be OK as a neck warmer and then just pull it up when needed. I have an old buff and was planning to replace it with one of these but now I am not going to bother.
ski holidays
@harrim51, in Austria a neck warmer isn’t sufficient on its own but it was pretty easy for me to have the FFP2 mask down and then get it up when needed even with mittens on. The good thing about them is they are quite thick/robust and so they don’t break or disintegrate. They do go a bit fluffy after a day or so. So I took plenty of them with me.
As I said it was that flaming cold the last few days though I had the mask on when skiing plus the Buff and was glad of it because it was about -10 to -14 degrees C.
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, thanks
snow conditions
stevew wrote:
harrim51 wrote:
Has anyone used the Buff filter tube yet?
This review is very off putting.

http://youtube.com/v/c4HspuIECRE

Have to say I agree with the review. I got one of these for the PSB and it was so difficult to get the filter in and for it to stay in place. Also it froze up on cold days. Another issue was the difficulty getting it over my nose whilst trying to get on a lift with gloved hands. reverted to the La Plagne buff which was far more comfortable and substantial.

We used some non Buff filtered neck gaiters - lifties in La Thuile were happy to accept those but found the same filter kept slipping out of place and had to take gloves off to pull up. Tried safety pinning the filter in place which worked ok. but ended up reverting back to surgical style masks.
snow report
Orange200 wrote:
I was in Andorra the last week. Saw one lifty tell a guy in the queue to put his mask on; that’s it, all week. I wore a ski face mask, with obvious vent holes for nose and mouth, and nobody said anything.
Only went on a gondola once, so I didn’t see examples that could have indicated mask awareness; no comment on masks but they seemed to try to put groups of friends in the same bubble or keep the numbers down.

As long as you have something over your nose & mouth in the lift queue, they are happy. They are more strict when gonig inside the restaurants.
snow report
FP 2 mask attachment, https://www.facebook.com/100072124953976/videos/1045469066010898/
latest report
@radar, very good!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@radar sorted
snow report
@Gazzza might depend on the size of your ears. I had no trouble simply wearing my mask as intended under the helmet and pulling it up/down. Husband and daughter were complaining of sore ears. The masks we bought in Spar had shorter ear loops though so best to bring enough from the UK!
latest report
Ok @radar that’s genius. Thank you!

Love the Dutch word for facemask Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Not having any spare buttons, I got these from Amazon. Quick delivery & they work a treat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08SQGV1CT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&tag=amz07b-21

A slight deviation, but also got these to put our covid vax QR code into (no laminator & going twice so can be reused). Fits in ski pass pocket so less faff than getting phones out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08L1V8Z4C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&tag=amz07b-21

Roll on Italy on the 23rd Very Happy
latest report
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:
@Gazzza might depend on the size of your ears. I had no trouble simply wearing my mask as intended under the helmet and pulling it up/down. Husband and daughter were complaining of sore ears. The masks we bought in Spar had shorter ear loops though so best to bring enough from the UK!

If you grip the elastic with thumb and forefinger where it joins the mask one one side, then use thumb and forefinger of the other hand to stretch the elastic right along its length to the other side of the mask, the ear loops do extend, thus providing a more comfortable fit.
snow report
Gazzza wrote:
If you have an FFP2 mask on, and helmet on top, is there not enough give in the ear elastic to hoik the mask down under the chin when skiing, and then pop it up when joining the lift q at the bottom ?

telford_mike wrote:
Having skied all winter in CH last season with a mask on lifts requirement, you really don’t need any of these clips / hooks etc. The masks that hook over your ears are fine, you just push them down over your chin when skiing, and pull them up for lifts. Different for Austria with FFP2 obviously, but for CH and FR it's really no more difficult than going to the supermarket.

That's exactly what I do with the FFP2 mask in Austria too, really haven't found it to be much of a problem. Pull it up in the lift queue, then depending on the type of lift and who else is on it, back down over the chin again after leaving the station. It really is a non-issue IME.
snow report
Dont leave it till last minute to order if you want to buy clips/hooks for helmet mask wearing.
I could not get any from Amazon for at least another 2 weeks - too late for my trip.
But managed to get some in time from Etsy - although I have probably paid a premium for them - but hayho - whatever makes life easy!
snow report
"A slight deviation, but also got these to put our covid vax QR code into (no laminator & going twice so can be reused). Fits in ski pass pocket so less faff than getting phones out. .

. <cut>..."

I got some of these from Ebay - self adhesive, so no need for a laminator

https://tinyurl.com/bdczy26k
latest report
radar wrote:
Another clever face mask / helmet option , curtain hooks Very Happy

That is just genius! I just gave that a try and it works a treat. And a slight horizontal fold into the FFP2 and it pushes down comfortably and just feels like a buff.
Thank you!
ski holidays
Just got back from Austria on Saturday. There were signs in the gondola stations saying snoods / buffs were fine as face coverings. We just pulled up a buff in the gondola queues and when in the gondola with other people. If it was just our group we didn’t bother.

Only 50% of people wore a mask in chairlift queues and only rarely did staff remind anyone. Tbh it’s easy to forget.
snow report
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Helmet-Holder-Pairs-Snowboard-Attach/dp/B09QRMTYX4/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=UBrtY&pf_rd_p=bd80ae29-b645-42de-aed0-46670387a756&pf_rd_r=V85EEC7DH2554BQT303A&pd_rd_r=5ab1d237-93b3-4a30-bd18-e2f04979946b&pd_rd_wg=LP1xU&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m&tag=amz07b-21

Try these little clips . I found them to do the job.
latest report
Coming home tomorrow after three weeks in Verbier.
Although the requirements for masks remain on enclosed lifts there is absolutely nobody to enforce them and at most 5% of people bother...they usually have FFP2 masks and either speak Italian or proper German.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 1-03-22 23:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy